Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Team from state with inferior barbecue wins basketball-themed game

if uk doesn't have some incredible lead with 5 min to go, they COULD get tight.....i say COULD, but so far, every time someone's made it tight, they just slam the other team with huge run to obliterate any momentum.

i think they cut down the nets, but i'm pulling for the jayhawks to do what they've done just about every time...ratchet up the d and win at the end....

rock chalk...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Really like Thomas Robinson and hope he wins a title. He also seems to exude great sportsmanship (which I noticed in the Ohio State game a number of times). On the other hand, I don't dislike any players on this Kentucky team. Should be a fun game.

Game Simulator = Pretty Cool = UK Win.
    http://www.scacchoops.com/GameSimulator.asp

Jon Pence ‏ @scacchoops
    The game sim line has moved to Kentucky by 4 #itmoved #GameSimKnowsAll

This Game Sim picked Kansas by 1 (they won by 2) over OSU. It picked UK by 7 or 8 too I think.

Kansas needs to avoid the sloppy turnovers that they've been making throughout the season. They're a scrappy bunch and they defend as well as just about anyone in the country. So from that perspective, they should be able to hang around. If they can continue to keep Robinson and Withey on the floor, they'll have a shot. They have a substantial advantage at PF and PG, and they have two very solid defenders (Withey and Relaford) to go against UK's best players (Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist). Both teams like to run and both teams can score in the half court. Should be a fun game to watch.

I'm cheering for Kansas, but I'll be just fine if Kentucky wins. They've looked like the best team all season, so it shouldn't shock anyone if they cut down the nets tonight. It's the first non-Duke championship game that I've been excited about since, well, the last time Self faced Calipari in a title game.

ABC - Anybody But Calipari! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

For what it is worth- It picks Lehigh over Duke with Lehigh at home - although not sure why it does not pick close to the average score since Duke wins more often. Looks like an anti-Duke site to me

FINAL SCORE -- Lehigh (2012): 83 - DU (2012): 77

Matchup Simulation Stats

This game has been simulated 506 times.
    Lehigh (2012) has won 227 times (44.9%), won by > 20 pts 19 times (3.8%)
    DU (2012) has won 279 times (55.1%), won by > 20 pts 45 times (8.9%)
    The average score is Lehigh (2012): 70.1 - DU (2012): 72.1, decided by < 5 pts 148 times (29.2%)
    The game has gone into overtime 16 times (3.2%)

Which number will be higher...

The margin of victory for Kentucky or the number of years before the title and Kentucky's season is vacated?

Lose Lose game

I am sad to say, I'd prefer to see Kentucky win tonight. Having lived in the Kansas City area for a number of years until very recently, I was always shocked at the amount of Duke hate spewed by Jayhawk fans. It was incredible. They rejoiced for days when VCU knocked Duke out in the 1st Round; They scoffed at the Championship in 2010 as "a huge fluke." I had one KU fan tell me that Greg Paulus "would be third string" on a KU team. Of course, you see this around the country, and I can understand that level of vitriol from UNC, Maryland, or Kentucky (the Shot) fans. But to me, it just always seemed that ardent Jayhawk fans had a bad case of "hey,what about us???" sydrome and wanted to somehow diminish Duke's popularity/success over the past 20 years. Which really isn't necessary, because KU has done really well in that timeframe, too. No need for the unwarranted trash talk. They also have a HUGE hang up on the whole Cameron Indoor vs. "The Phog" as the 'best home court' in college basketball thing. I once listened to a KU fan rant for about 2 hours about how Allen Field House was "head and shoulders" above every other college basketball venue. Needless to say, I'll never get those two hours back. If I could have jumped from the moving car, I would have.
    Also, I haven't been a huge fan of a lot of the players that KU has leaned on in the past few years. Sherron Collins, The Morris Twins, Tyshon Taylor... good players but attitude and off-court incidents that make it hard to cheer for them. And frankly, I haven't seen a single thing from this batch of Kentucky players that suggests that they have bad attitudes or aren't great teammates. Easy to cheer for, in my mind.
    So, I'd much rather have a team like an Indiana, a Purdue, an NC State to route for... but I suppose I'm left with UK. Since I don't travel to Kentucky, I could care less. But since I do return to KC every so often, I just won't want to deal with another KU title being used to to bolster a "we're so much better than Duke" argument.
    After all, I recall a certain Tyler Thorton three-pointer a few months ago that said otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Kansas needs to avoid the sloppy turnovers that they've been making throughout the season. They're a scrappy bunch and they defend as well as just about anyone in the country. So from that perspective, they should be able to hang around. If they can continue to keep Robinson and Withey on the floor, they'll have a shot. They have a substantial advantage at PF and PG, and they have two very solid defenders (Withey and Relaford) to go against UK's best players (Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist). Both teams like to run and both teams can score in the half court. Should be a fun game to watch.

I'm cheering for Kansas, but I'll be just fine if Kentucky wins. They've looked like the best team all season, so it shouldn't shock anyone if they cut down the nets tonight. It's the first non-Duke championship game that I've been excited about since, well, the last time Self faced Calipari in a title game.
    Very good analysis. The biggest thing Kansas has going for them is their powerful will to win. They have a little bit of "team of destiny" feeling about them. That being said, against a Kentucky team this good, that might not be enough.

This is a solid break-down...I, too, think Withey and Robinson can both the UK frontline and the KU backcourt is as athletic as anyone - plus they have that Bill Simmonsism - "irrational confidence" - which often gets them into trouble but keeps them loose during crunch time - exhibit A Taylor's attempted bounce pass through traffic with 6 seconds left in the Ohio State game. I think Kansas has a better shot than most are giving them credit for.

It's also interesting that while Kentucky gets the headlines as the "program du jour", Self has an amazing streak going at Kansas. While they are most known for their getting upset early, after winning the title in 2008, they've had several teams that were expected to make Final Fours and didn't, and now they are back on the first Monday in April...pretty amazing.

All that, and we get a Self v Cal title game coaching rematch. Should be a really good game (I hope it is)

Thumbs up

This!!!!

Totally agree. Although I was so pumped by the way Kansas took out UNC in 2008 that I was somewhat excited to see them complete their run.

I'm taking Kansas, 68-66. Withey can protect the rim and backboard, Johnson and Taylor can score the ball, Releford can contain MKG. Robinson is a stud. If KU has to ask their bench to play a lot of minutes, they will be in deep trouble.

One thing that will be interesting to watch is if Robinson tries to force his game, out to prove he is better than Davis. If he does that, it will hurt KU.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    I am sad to say, I'd prefer to see Kentucky win tonight. Having lived in the Kansas City area for a number of years until very recently, I was always shocked at the amount of Duke hate spewed by Jayhawk fans. It was incredible...
    Because Jayhawk fans spew Duke hate... you side with Kentucky?

KU's sloppy ballhandling will make it awfully difficult. I think UK is a bigger favorite than the math/Pomeroy would suggest. They might win 8 or 8.5 out of 10 times. Unless a good percentage of KU's turnovers don't end up being live-ball turnovers (which, lucky enough for them, was the case against OSU), UK will get 10 to 20 free fastbreak points that will be tough to overcome.

Whats new on Netflix?

If UK wins the system is broken...
    If KU wins the fix is in...

I'm not watching... I may peek in at the end, out of morbid curiosity, but I see no reason to waste my time with this and get angry over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    KU's sloppy ballhandling will make it awfully difficult. I think UK is a bigger favorite than the math/Pomeroy would suggest. They might win 8 or 8.5 out of 10 times. Unless a good percentage of KU's turnovers don't end up being live-ball turnovers (which, lucky enough for them, was the case against OSU), UK will get 10 to 20 free fastbreak points that will be tough to overcome.
    That really is a crucial point. Kansas has survived to this point thanks to a VERY rugged defense and in spite of consistently sloppy ballhandling and poor decision making. Kentucky provides a different challenge in that they can hurt you at all 5 positions. It'll be the first time in the tournament that Kansas has faced such an opponent. So KU won't likely be able to get away with the same sloppiness that they've displayed all year. Kentucky will punish them for too many wasted possessions and live-ball turnovers.

That said, I think it may all come down to things:
    1. How good can Taylor be at making good decisions with the ball?
    2. Can Kansas keep Withey and Robinson out of foul trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Because Jayhawk fans spew Duke hate... you side with Kentucky?
    For this one game..Um...yeah. Someone's got to win, right? And frankly, I find UK's Duke-hate less bizarre AND their players on this team more admirable.

There has been no defining moment in this tournament. I hope this final provides us with one.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    For this one game..Um...yeah. Someone's got to win, right? And frankly, I find UK's Duke-hate less bizarre AND their players on this team more admirable.

less bizarre? Are you sure?

I've got nothing against the players on either team, but prefer Self to Calipari and favor upsets when Duke or a non-UNC ACC team are playing out of conference. With all that factored in, I'm leaning towards Kansas.

Plus, the twinge UNC fans would get when CBS shows Roy cheering for KU in the title game would be particulary enjoyable. It'll be better if Kansas is winning.