Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
I think you need someone who puts the program ahead of a particular team or an individual player minding the store to even possibly prevent violations in that environment and Calipari's history suggests that he is never "aware" of the violations when they occur. i don't think you can keep a program like UK out of trouble for very long being conveniently ignorant of what is going on around you. My UK friends have a Nascar mentality about cheating which is that it aint cheating unless you get caught. There are plenty of willing corrupters among their fans so I think it's just a matter of time.
Well, in the end, what do you call the UK program anyway? Is it really college athletics, or is it a semi-pro program? I mean, the players stay only one
year or two at the most, concentrate mostly on B-ball, and mostly go to the pros. Do they count as real college students in any meaningful sense of
the word? The great thing about Duke basketball, is that usually (with some more recent exceptions) the Duke players are also actually real students.
They go to class, they (mostly) graduate, and they go on to other careers besides basketball. That to me has always been one of the great appeals
of the program. Now, it appears that keeping that up and winning too may get much harder. It will be very hard to resist the one-and-done Kentucky model
for long, especially as we've basically already started doing it with Kyrie (who admittedly was pro-ready) and Austin.