Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Silent G

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    To clear a few things up:

1) I gave him the Silent G nickname due to the pronunciation of his last name and his quiet effectiveness on the court.

2) He's not transferring.

3) Michael was sick to the point of needing IVs at times during the season. He missed practice time and clearly wasn't able to get fully up to speed as a freshman trying to adjust to being an elite level college basketball player.
    What's your evidence to support this rather certain assertion?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Airowe has 7 pitchforks under his name and a solid reputation for info such as this. It's enough for me to believe him!

I can't really provide any evidence on the board. I apologize for that, but I'm not one to make declarative statements if I don't have reliable information to support them. If anything, I guess my record on matters such as these will have to suffice but I understand if you have your doubts as we have never met.

why do you keep up with this assertion that he is/will/wants to transfer? Every time you bring it up it's as lame as the first time. It's simply rumor-mongering.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Airowe has 7 pitchforks under his name and a solid reputation for info such as this. It's enough for me to believe him!
    Where is your evidence to support the assertion that he has 7 pitchforks...

oh wait.

As a side note, it would probably be good to have a sticky up that talks a bit about how this board is frequented by reliable and accurate sources of information. I remember a while back, in one of my first posts, I questioned jimsumner... not realizing that he was the ACTUAL Jim Sumner.

It gets confusing when you have members with real names and then members with names like "Greg_Newton" or "Ferryfor50" because we are definitively not those people.

And is "superdave" really super? So many questions...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Where is your evidence to support the assertion that he has 7 pitchforks...

oh wait.

As a side note, it would probably be good to have a sticky up that talks a bit about how this board is frequented by reliable and accurate sources of information. I remember a while back, in one of my first posts, I questioned jimsumner... not realizing that he was the ACTUAL Jim Sumner.

It gets confusing when you have members with real names and then members with names like "Greg_Newton" or "Ferryfor50" because we are definitively not those people.

And is "superdave" really super? So many questions...
    That's a great idea, actually. I've been around these parts long enough now to know the difference between the pitchfork guys (and gals) and the pitchfork guys (and gals) who also happen to have good insider info even if they can't reveal their sources. But that is something I only learned with time.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I always felt bad about Mike Chappell. For a while he was the best three point shooter on the team, but then he lost his touch and lost his job to CWell IIRC. He won a national championship at Michigan State, which I was glad to see at the time, but still hadn't found his shot. He had a long international career, so I guess it worked out in the end.
    Me too. I would've been curious to see how he would've fit into the 2000 team as a senior.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    That's a great idea, actually. I've been around these parts long enough now to know the difference between the pitchfork guys (and gals) and the pitchfork guys (and gals) who also happen to have good insider info even if they can't reveal their sources. But that is something I only learned with time.
    Who is COYS? WHERE ARE YOUR PAPERS!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Who is COYS? WHERE ARE YOUR PAPERS!
    I can assure you I have absolutely zero inside info =).

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    I think people are selling him short to think he couldn't have added some versatility to the team and that's fine, hopefully he comes in next year ready to prove people wrong...
    Since most of the people who say he wasn't ready this season appear to believe he can be a big contributor next season, how can anything he does next year "prove people wrong"?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Since most of the people who say he wasn't ready this season appear to believe he can be a big contributor next season, how can anything he does next year "prove people wrong"?
    An excellent point. Being not ready this year and being ready next year are not mutually exclusive scenarios. For whatever reason, Gbinije wasn't ready to contribute this year. Hopefully, whatever issues were in play will be resolved this offseason and he'll be ready to provide length, athleticism, and versatility to our perimeter.

Exactly! The only reason I didn't call on Mike to get more playing time is because when he was in, he looked a little raw on the offensive end and inexperienced on defense. Andre, his primary competition for minutes at the 3, was also inconsistent but offered a lot more on offense (most of the time). He was capable of very good plays, but there was no consistency and he was out of position a lot on both sides of the ball. Count me as one who believes that all the physical tools are there for him and one year of hard work and experience will make all the difference.

Very good point.

Time for us all to stop worrying about last year and focus on the future. (g) has a lot of upside and I hope he comes out as a human dynamo. The only thing he has to "prove" is to himself and the coaching staff.

b/c there have been plenty of others speaking the exact opposite on his potential to contribute...since I doubt either one of us has taken a survey on the numbers for both sides of it why are you questioning my statement? If you think he'll contribute next year then great, if not hopefully he proves you wrong...I've said multiple times I don't think he was ready this year, it was clear he didn't know the system, only thing I've questioned is the thinking that he wasn't skilled enough to play..that's all.

Miles Plumlee is a 100% career three-point shooter (1 for 1). That's marginally less meaningful than Mike Gbinije hitting 4 of 10, but I don't think we should extrapolate too much from either sample.
    Miles is tied for 1st in career three-point percentage in the history of the NCAA. Actually he's tied for 1st for any level of basketball, ever.

The 2011/2012 team started off the season with many solid wins, but continually had trouble starting off well and also finishing games. As the season wore on, we took some unexpected losses at home and some of the players (Andre, Seth) didn't play up to expectations on some ocassions. Clearly the team had problems guarding quick penetrators and also were mismatched when the other team could bring size at guard and small forward. Losing Ryan at the end just magnified the problems of matching up.

We start next season with two PG players, three shooting guard players/prospects (Andre, Rasheed and Seth) and two small forward prospects. Of course we are all awaiting to hear if Mason will stay. If he does we have four front court players/prospects. We are covered, even without further recruits. Perhaps a wild card in this scenario is if Seth can show better PG instincts, but that is somewhat unlikely. Based on end of year performance, I would expect Andre to move down in the order and Michael (silent G) or Alex to move up.

So what are the expected likeups for next season?

PG- Tyler (start); Quinn (backup); Seth (2nd backup)

SG- Seth (Start); Rasheed (backup); Andre (2nd backup)

SF- Michael (start); Alex (backup); Andre (2nd Backup)

PF- Ryan (start); Mason (backup); Josh (2nd backup)

C- Mason (start); Marshall (backup)

Losing Mason and or getting Tony Parker or Shebazz (sp) would shake things up. We should know more after April 11th

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Based on end of year performance, I would expect Andre to move down in the order and Michael (silent G) or Alex to move up.

Losing Mason and or getting Tony Parker or Shebazz (sp) would shake things up. We should know more after April 11th
    You'd expect two guys who sat on the bench (including one who has never played a collegiate game) to overtake a guy who played in 109 games and averaged over 22 mpg last season? Maybe by the end of the season that is possible, but I don't see it happening right off the bat. Proven commodities get the start from Coach K at the beginning of the season, so unless Mike G or Alex tear it up over the summer, I'd think Andre is the tentative starter at the SF slot to begin the season. It's possible Alex really impresses and Andre is the first backup, but I don't see him being the 2nd backup at both the 2 and 3 with the amount of experience he has in the program. It's also tough to say how Rasheed will fit in at the beginning, but I really like his potential and think he will be a really solid player for us. Definitely a lot can change before next season, though, so really hard to predict starting lineups at this point (especially when we don't know if Mason will be back and who, if anybody, is coming in).

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    The 2011/2012 team started off the season with many solid wins, but continually had trouble starting off well and also finishing games. As the season wore on, we took some unexpected losses at home and some of the players (Andre, Seth) didn't play up to expectations on some ocassions. Clearly the team had problems guarding quick penetrators and also were mismatched when the other team could bring size at guard and small forward. Losing Ryan at the end just magnified the problems of matching up.

We start next season with two PG players, three shooting guard players/prospects (Andre, Rasheed and Seth) and two small forward prospects. Of course we are all awaiting to hear if Mason will stay. If he does we have four front court players/prospects. We are covered, even without further recruits. Perhaps a wild card in this scenario is if Seth can show better PG instincts, but that is somewhat unlikely. Based on end of year performance, I would expect Andre to move down in the order and Michael (silent G) or Alex to move up.

Players change so much over the summer that it is hard to even pencil in a line-up. I am sure the staff will give each current player a goal and series of skills they need to work on in the interim.

It is good to see that there should be strong competition at each position, which at the end of the day makes everyone stronger.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    I understand Airowe... I know you're generally trustworthy and you saying that makes me feel better about the situation. I only asked because I don't think that even the most trusted "7-pitchfork" individuals should necessarily be able to make statements that would be construed as "rumor mongering" from the rest of us, at least not without some sort of explanation as to their believability. I'd love to hear more, but I understand if you don't want to reveal your source—I just wish we were all held to the same standard. I'm sure there are others who have similar information (well sourced, but who don't necessarily want to reveal the source) who feel pressured to not tell the community because they don't have the correct "reputation."
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

I understand Airowe... I know you're generally trustworthy and you saying that makes me feel better about the situation. I only asked because I don't think that even the most trusted "7-pitchfork" individuals should necessarily be able to make statements that would be construed as "rumor mongering" from the rest of us, at least not without some sort of explanation as to their believability. I'd love to hear more, but I understand if you don't want to reveal your source—I just wish we were all held to the same standard. I'm sure there are others who have similar information (well sourced, but who don't necessarily want to reveal the source) who feel pressured to not tell the community because they don't have the correct "reputation."
    Sorry, I don't see an equivalence between stating "Player A is transferring" and "Player A is returning". The default here is that the player is assumed to stay with the normal progression to his next season unless we've seen specific indications that the decision is up in the air (which it is for Mason Plumlee, for example).

You're asking for detail about Silent G staying, while you seem reluctant to give any details about why you think he may leave.

If I stated that I definitely expect Ryan Kelly and Tyler Thornton to return to Duke next season, would I need a source for that to avoid rumor-mongering in your view?