Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Silent G

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Sorry, I don't see an equivalence between stating "Player A is transferring" and "Player A is returning". The default here is that the player is assumed to stay with the normal progression to his next season unless we've seen specific indications that the decision is up in the air (which it is for Mason Plumlee, for example).

You're asking for detail about Silent G staying, while you seem reluctant to give any details about why you think he may leave.

If I stated that I definitely expect Ryan Kelly and Tyler Thornton to return to Duke next season, would I need a source for that to avoid rumor-mongering in your view?
    Scott Dude is one of our Chron guys -- sounds like good reporting to me. -- sage

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    That's a valid point about the difference between saying someone will return vs. transfer. But I never definitively said he was going to transfer, just that there was heavy chatter that it was a strong possibility. And the reason I didn't give any details is exactly what I was trying to address above (and apparently didn't do too eloquently): if I were to explain the sources behind my statement, it might be construed as rumor mongering, whereas if airowe did it it would likely be OK. Let's be clear—in all likelihood airowe's source is better than mine, but I think it's a problem that he can make a statement without evidence and it's OK, but the average poster can't.

I didn't mean to create a storm about this—I love this board and come to it a lot of my Duke basketball news. I just wanted to express a feeling I've been having that often prevents me from posting when I otherwise would like to, just because I have to avoid the rumor mongering policy when that is explicitly not what I'm doing. We should probably go back to talking about Silent G, a player I think will play a huge role for Duke next year.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Scott Dude is one of our Chron guys -- sounds like good reporting to me. -- sage
    What grade would you give him for his reporting?

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    What grade would you give him for his reporting?
    Yes, our finest moment as an institution, haha. Also one that occurred almost 20 years ago... just saying.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    That's a valid point about the difference between saying someone will return vs. transfer. But I never definitively said he was going to transfer, just that there was heavy chatter that it was a strong possibility. And the reason I didn't give any details is exactly what I was trying to address above (and apparently didn't do too eloquently): if I were to explain the sources behind my statement, it might be construed as rumor mongering, whereas if airowe did it it would likely be OK. Let's be clear—in all likelihood airowe's source is better than mine, but I think it's a problem that he can make a statement without evidence and it's OK, but the average poster can't.

I didn't mean to create a storm about this—I love this board and come to it a lot of my Duke basketball news. I just wanted to express a feeling I've been having that often prevents me from posting when I otherwise would like to, just because I have to avoid the rumor mongering policy when that is explicitly not what I'm doing. We should probably go back to talking about Silent G, a player I think will play a huge role for Duke next year.
    I see the point, and it's fairly stated. However, in an effort to make all things equal, when all parties do not have equal information, would deprive this board of the type of information that folks like Airowe provide. I would DEFINITELY not want to lose that information just to create some lowest common denominator style, level playing field. This is the bain of all large companies. They make complex policies with the good intent of trying to make things fair. The result is that everyone get's less information and the insiders become all the more 'inside' and the outsiders get even less information as those in the know who can provide insight, don't, for fear of violating some policy.

This forum has been a bit like Cheers. People drop by and lots of people know lots of people by their handle. It's been happening for years and is a comfortable 'local feeling' place for this reason. Why lose all that by instituting a policy that encourages Airowe to say less, so that someone with an email account in cyberspace doesn't feel the license to say whatever they want.

Just a counter-point...

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    So what are the expected likeups for next season?

PG- Tyler (start); Quinn (backup); Seth (2nd backup)
    SG- Seth (Start); Rasheed (backup); Andre (2nd backup)
    SF- Michael (start); Alex (backup); Andre (2nd Backup)
    PF- Ryan (start); Mason (backup); Josh (2nd backup)
    C- Mason (start); Marshall (backup)

Losing Mason and or getting Tony Parker or Shebazz (sp) would shake things up. We should know more after April 11th
    I think it's way too early to be able to do this with any sort of accuracy. We are in the mix for 3 high school recruits and two transfers (each of whom has some degree of uncertainty with regard to eligibility next year) and we don't yet know (and may not know until April 29) whether Mason will be back.

That being said, I'm not sure I'm ready to relegate Dawkins to the end of the rotation. It'd be great if Gbinije, Murphy, and Sulaimon are all ready to bump Dawkins out of the rotation. That'd be pretty impressive for 3 wings to bump a guy who has averaged 8+ ppg for two straight years despite playing less than 25mpg.

I understand Airowe... I know you're generally trustworthy and you saying that makes me feel better about the situation. I only asked because I don't think that even the most trusted "7-pitchfork" individuals should necessarily be able to make statements that would be construed as "rumor mongering" from the rest of us, at least not without some sort of explanation as to their believability. I'd love to hear more, but I understand if you don't want to reveal your source—I just wish we were all held to the same standard. I'm sure there are others who have similar information (well sourced, but who don't necessarily want to reveal the source) who feel pressured to not tell the community because they don't have the correct "reputation."
    Regardless of pitchforks, airowe has earned a certain measure of leeway from the mods.

-jk

You raise an interesting point, Scott. There are some posters who have established "cred" on these who are given leeway. I don't think it has anything to do with pitchforks -- I'd get (rightly) slammed for posting that "X is transferring" or somesuch because I don't have a track record of inside information nor do the mods know me from Adam's housecat. If you do have access to inside info, you may want to contact a mod privately and let him/her know who you are or why you have access to that info. They have a tough job to walk the line between allowing the disbursement of pertinent information, and stopping the slew of folks (not you) who come to these boards during the silly season to state that there is discontent behind the scenes without posting any supporting information. Again, not you. But I am sure you see the dilemma they have.

I do have it on good authority, though, that Adam's housecat is a bad bad kitty and is weighing her options.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I do have it on good authority, though, that Adam's housecat is a bad bad kitty and is weighing her options.
    I'm more of a dog guy.

376714_10150342314170811_717885810_8761601_1876359700_n.jpg

You raise an interesting point, Scott. There are some posters who have established "cred" on these who are given leeway. I don't think it has anything to do with pitchforks -- I'd get (rightly) slammed for posting that "X is transferring" or somesuch because I don't have a track record of inside information nor do the mods know me from Adam's housecat. If you do have access to inside info, you may want to contact a mod privately and let him/her know who you are or why you have access to that info. They have a tough job to walk the line between allowing the disbursement of pertinent information, and stopping the slew of folks (not you) who come to these boards during the silly season to state that there is discontent behind the scenes without posting any supporting information. Again, not you. But I am sure you see the dilemma they have.
    I will say, the rigor with which this board is moderated (relative to other similar boards) is pretty remarkable, and the result is a much nicer boarding experience. There is so much junk on other boards, it's hard to know what's what. I appreciate being able to come here for the skinny on x/y/z and for some pretty impressive statistical gymnastics. I think I have a sense of who has inside sources and who doesn't, but perhaps we could give the confirmed insiders some variation of the "twitter check mark" or something that is easily visible? Or perhaps a golden pitchfork?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    If I stated that I definitely expect Ryan Kelly and Tyler Thornton to return to Duke next season, would I need a source for that to avoid rumor-mongering in your view?
    In fairness to Scott, I'm not sure talking about two players who have numerous starts under their belt is the same as discussing a kid who got very little burn, yet offered the team the physical tools it so sorely lacked at the SF position.
    We are also talking about a kid who the team is currently trying to recruit over.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    In fairness to Scott, I'm not sure talking about two players who have numerous starts under their belt is the same as discussing a kid who got very little burn, yet offered the team the physical tools it so sorely lacked at the SF position.
    We are also talking about a kid who the team is currently trying to recruit over.
    Duke has been recruiting Shabazz Muhammad since before Michael Gbinije committed. I'm sure he knew the situation when he did so.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    You make a valid point, but is there anyone at Duke who could say that they haven't at least kind of been "recruited over?"

Seth and Andre - Austin?, Mike G?,
    Tyler - Kyrie?, Quinn
    Ryan, Mason,- Mitch M? Tony P? Alex M? Quincy M? James MacAdoo? Deandre D? Alex Oriahki?
    Josh- the above plus Julius Randle?
    Marshall - the above plus Jahlil Okafor?
    Alex, Mike G - Trey Z?, Jabari P?, Matt Jones?
    Quinn- Tyus Jones? Anthony Barber?

We should probably go back to talking about Silent G, a player I think will play a huge role for Duke next year.
    I actually spoke to Michael Gbinije yesterday (he watched the OSU Kansas game in my dorm) and he was talking about how he's picked up 7 pounds of muscle in the gym since the end of the season. I'm not sure how much of an improvement that is but it seems to me like he is serious about working his way into the rotation next year.

(I've lurked on this forum long enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by dragoneye776 View Post
    I actually spoke to Michael Gbinije yesterday (he watched the OSU Kansas game in my dorm) and he was talking about how he's picked up 7 pounds of muscle in the gym since the end of the season. I'm not sure how much of an improvement that is but it seems to me like he is serious about working his way into the rotation next year.

Glad you spoke up! OPK

Quote Originally Posted by dragoneye776 View Post

Great to hear. Thanks for sharing this info!

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Duke has been recruiting Shabazz Muhammad since before Michael Gbinije committed. I'm sure he knew the situation when he did so.
    Back then was Bazz the slam dunk one and done he is now?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    You make a valid point, but is there anyone at Duke who could say that they haven't at least kind of been "recruited over?"

Seth and Andre - Austin?, Mike G?,
    Tyler - Kyrie?, Quinn
    Ryan, Mason,- Mitch M? Tony P? Alex M? Quincy M? James MacAdoo? Deandre D? Alex Oriahki?
    Josh- the above plus Julius Randle?
    Marshall - the above plus Jahlil Okafor?
    Alex, Mike G - Trey Z?, Jabari P?, Matt Jones?
    Quinn- Tyus Jones? Anthony Barber?
    I would certainly hope that we would recruit with the goal of establishing some form of continuity in mind and I'm sure every player understands that situation. In this instance I'm mentioning a player who is being possibly jumped by someone who appears to be a sure fire one and done.

To me that's something totally different. I would hope that every kid who comes to Duke understands they have to earn there playing time and that often entails paying ones dues. However, in this case you've got a kid who paid his dues last year and should we land Bazz, then he'd be riding the pine for another year.

Just throwing this out there and I have no clue how Mike feels about the possibility of us landing Bazz and the effect it would have on his playing time.

Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    To clear a few things up:

1) I gave him the Silent G nickname due to the pronunciation of his last name and his quiet effectiveness on the court.

2) He's not transferring.

3) Michael was sick to the point of needing IVs at times during the season. He missed practice time and clearly wasn't able to get fully up to speed as a freshman trying to adjust to being an elite level college basketball player.
    Sick to the point of needing IVs, freshmen, and academic All-ACC. I am impressed.

Hopefully next year will bring good health and more playing time.

SoCal

Someone upthread mentioned GHenderson as a person who was freakishly athletic but had health issues his freshman year. I seem to remember GHill having some similar issue although the memory gets fuzzier as I go on.

Go {g} Go!

Someone upthread mentioned GHenderson as a person who was freakishly athletic but had health issues his freshman year. I seem to remember GHill having some similar issue although the memory gets fuzzier as I go on.

Go {g} Go!
    I prefer Stay {g} Stay