Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Most wins (active pitchers)

Don't look it up...

Who is the current, active career leader in MLB in wins?

His next win will be his 200th.

-Jason "I remember this guy just owned the Braves at one point" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Don't look it up...

My guess is Tim Wakefield, but I don't know for sure whether he's still actually active.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post

My guess is Tim Wakefield, but I don't know for sure whether he's still actually active.
    Wakefield still pitches for the Red Sox.

CC Sabathia isn't that close to 200, so it's not him. I don't know how many wins CC has, but the Yankees haven't been talking about him getting #200, so that's why I say he's not that close...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Not sure whether he's active?

Tim's as active as any other 44 year old knuckleballer.

Tim got his 199th win and 2000th K Sunday against the Mariners. Goes for win #200 tomorrow night against the White Sox.

He's seven wins from tying Roger Clemens and Cy Young as the All-Time wins leader for the Red Sox.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Wakefield still pitches for the Red Sox.

CC Sabathia isn't that close to 200, so it's not him. I don't know how many wins CC has, but the Yankees haven't been talking about him getting #200, so that's why I say he's not that close...
    CC's at 172 wins. He's 4th on the active list.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    CC's at 172 wins. He's 4th on the active list.
    Yeah, CC is 172 - 93. I looked it up and tried to edit my post, but as we all know, that function isn't working yet and I forgot that.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Yup, Timmy is still active. He's 6-3 for the BoSox so far this year. Timmy is 44 years old, and though he has never been as good as he was as a rookie for the Pirates in 1991, he has had more than a few very productive seasons. He keeps on chugging along, eating up innings and trying to keeop his ERA less than 5.00. His career is a bit if a miracle -- 1B who could not hit turns into light throwing knucklballer who has one great season and then flops and gets released only to be picked up by another team and pitching until he is 44 years old?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!

I love the guy, if only because he sometimes decides to fool batters by ripping off one of his 70 MPH fastballs

-Jason "Variteck called back to back fastballs at one point in a game -- Wakefield thought he was being mocked" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Yup, Timmy is still active. He's 6-3 for the BoSox so far this year. Timmy is 44 years old, and though he has never been as good as he was as a rookie for the Pirates in 1991, he has had more than a few very productive seasons. He keeps on chugging along, eating up innings and trying to keeop his ERA less than 5.00. His career is a bit if a miracle -- 1B who could not hit turns into light throwing knucklballer who has one great season and then flops and gets released only to be picked up by another team and pitching until he is 44 years old?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!

I love the guy, if only because he sometimes decides to fool batters by ripping off one of his 70 MPH fastballs

-Jason "Variteck called back to back fastballs at one point in a game -- Wakefield thought he was being mocked" Evans
    I've grown to really like Wakefield. I still have a bunch of his rookie cards. It was (is) fun watching these guys like Niekro, Charlie Hough and Tim go out there with their 64 mph knuckleball as they get closer to joining AARP. Watching Wakefield always made me want to be able to throw a knuckleball. It never worked...

I don't think Jamie Moyer has officially retired. Though he's not on an active roster, last I heard was he was rehabing from surgery and hadn't decided whether or not to make another go of it. If he does make a comeback at about 50, he is at 267 wins.

He still has a chance to make this true!

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    I don't think Jamie Moyer has officially retired. Though he's not on an active roster, last I heard was he was rehabing from surgery and hadn't decided whether or not to make another go of it. If he does make a comeback at about 50, he is at 267 wins.

He still has a chance to make this true!
    Moyer is not on any team's 40-man roster nor does he have a contract with anyone, so he is not technically active. He has said he plans to rehab and pitch again in 2012, but until he does, Wakefield is the active wins leader.

-Jason "that Cooperstown plaque for Moyer is awesome!" Evans

Moyer is not on any team's 40-man roster nor does he have a contract with anyone, so he is not technically active. He has said he plans to rehab and pitch again in 2012, but until he does, Wakefield is the active wins leader.
    I guess Wake got out of dodge just in time to say he retired as the active wins leader.

Jamie Moyer has made the Rockies’ rotation. He will pitch second, following opening day starter Jeremy Guthrie.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Now Pitching, for the Rockies...

Don't look it up...

Why isn't it Jamie Moyer, Digger's son-in-law, who was just named a starting pitcher by the Rockies at age 49? He has 267 wins. Jamie was out of baseball last year with Tommy John surgery.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Why isn't it Jamie Moyer, Digger's son-in-law, who was just named a starting pitcher by the Rockies at age 49? He has 267 wins. Jamie was out of baseball last year with Tommy John surgery.

sagegrouse
    Is Jamie Moyer younger or older than Tommy John?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

sagegrouse
    If you look at when Evans posted the question, I think you'll see you've already answered your own question.

moyer and pettite

Jason was indeed right back when he posted last summer, but with the return of Jamie Moyer, Wakefield's total is buried.

And he's not the only one. Andy Pettite -- with 240 career wins -- is making a comeback with the Yankees. Not sure he's on the active roster yet, but it looks like he will be in the near future.

I remember Wakefield's rookie campaign. Man. 1991 NLCS. When baseball was mullet central.

It physically hurts me that Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz are all retired. Like, it makes my pancreas hurt. Or something down there.

I contributed nothing to this thread. I'm old and sad.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I remember Wakefield's rookie campaign. Man. 1991 NLCS. When baseball was mullet central.
    Wakefield's rookie season was 1992. The Bucs' mullet pitcher contingency in '91 was represented by Zane Smith. Maybe Drabek had somewhat of a mullet too.

I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it's a tribute to Moyer's longevity without dominant stuff that he is the all time record holder in Home Runs Allowed (511) (and also one of only two members of the -500 HR club.)

(Wakefield finished in 9th on this list, with only 418, almost 100 behind.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluelemur View Post
    I've mentioned it elsewhere, but it's a tribute to Moyer's longevity without dominant stuff that he is the all time record holder in Home Runs Allowed (511) (and also one of only two members of the -500 HR club.)

(Wakefield finished in 9th on this list, with only 418, almost 100 behind.
    Without looking, can I guess at the other?

Phil Niekro.

If not him, how about Nolan Ryan?

-Jason "takes a good pitcher to give up that many homers... if that makes any sense" Evans

Without looking, can I guess at the other?

Phil Niekro.

If not him, how about Nolan Ryan?

-Jason "takes a good pitcher to give up that many homers... if that makes any sense" Evans
    If Jason's not right, I'd guess Jim Kaat.