Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Austin Rivers appreciation thread

i would like to post a shout out to one of my favorite devils in recent memory.

in a lot of ways AR is a throwback. he didn't come to duke to "leave a legacy" and build his "brand", he came to duke to work hard, get better and beat the team you put in front of him and his teammates. he's not the type to disappear in the 4th quarter of the nba finals when his team needs him the most, he's the type to keep us in a game at unc and then have the onions to dagger them at the end.

maybe i'm assuming more about austin than i should, but i hope we get a lot more players with attitude "problems" like austin rivers. not to mention more players with his basketball skills.

I agree that Austin Rivers did a great job for Duke, and I am happy that he came, and wish him great success.

I, too, have respect for Austin. Never any doubt about his always playing hard and never giving up. The young man just purely hated to lose. I'll miss seeing Doc at the games, too. Good luck Austin, it was a pleasure seeing you play up close.

Austin played as hard as anyone this year. He hustled, took the coaching and his lumps in stride and really improved. I'm most impressed by his improvement on the defensive end.

I will certainly miss him on the attack next year. I would have loved to see him play alongside Sulaimon and possibly Shabazz, but he's going to be a good pro and that's his ultimate dream. Godspeed.

Best to Austin...

He was our best player. No one played harder or showed a fiercer will to win. He made one of the most memorable shots in Duke history. Given the one-and-done era, he seemed likely to stay only one year, and that's what happened. Would have been great if he stayed longer, but all best wishes to him and Doc, who were a great part of Duke basketball this year. Not sure he'll be an instant impact player in the NBA and not sure leaving now is the best move for him, but that's his decision, not ours.

Just want to note that Austin is very appreciative of Duke and Duke fans, at least based on his tweets. He sent out a couple last night asking folks to vote for Miles Plumlee in the college slam dunk contest, and he sent these two out on Monday after his announcement:

@AustinRivers25 I just want to thank all the fans that have supported me this year. it was so fun playing there and becoming apart of the duke family!
    @AustinRivers25 I appreciate everybody, and the support y'all have given me! Duke nation has truly made me a better person and player! Duke #1

Austin clearly worked hard, cared about winning games for Duke, and improved considerably, especially on defense, over the course of the season. From a fan perspective, he was exciting to watch, and his interviews were always interesting. I don't love the one-and-done phenomenon generally, but that is the basketball environment we have, and I don't think it's fair for people to suggest Austin Rivers (or Kyrie Irving before him) is somehow a lesser person, or not a "true" Duke guy, because he charts the course he feels is best for him in that environment. (I don't mean to say people shouldn't decide that they, personally, like players more who stay 3 or 4 years--obviously that is a legitimate personal preference--but that it doesn't seem right to judge a player's character based on being one and done unless there's some clear evidence that he pursued his own goals during the season at the expense of his team, which I don't see here at all.)

Thanks to Austin for choosing Duke and for giving it your all while you were there. In exchange you got the opportunity to learn from a great coaching staff (which it appears you took full advantage of) and the opportunity to enjoy a year of college at a great school (which I hope you took advantage of). I wish you great success in the NBA, and I hope you have a chance to come back and finish your degree.

Maximum effort every play on the court. Very well-spoken off the court. I thought he did Duke proud, and I can't understand the level of undeserved criticism. Good luck to Austin in the League.

I agree completely

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Just want to note that Austin is very appreciative of Duke and Duke fans, at least based on his tweets. He sent out a couple last night asking folks to vote for Miles Plumlee in the college slam dunk contest, and he sent these two out on Monday after his announcement:

@AustinRivers25 I just want to thank all the fans that have supported me this year. it was so fun playing there and becoming apart of the duke family!
    @AustinRivers25 I appreciate everybody, and the support y'all have given me! Duke nation has truly made me a better person and player! Duke #1

Austin clearly worked hard, cared about winning games for Duke, and improved considerably, especially on defense, over the course of the season. From a fan perspective, he was exciting to watch, and his interviews were always interesting. I don't love the one-and-done phenomenon generally, but that is the basketball environment we have, and I don't think it's fair for people to suggest Austin Rivers (or Kyrie Irving before him) is somehow a lesser person, or not a "true" Duke guy, because he charts the course he feels is best for him in that environment. (I don't mean to say people shouldn't decide that they, personally, like players more who stay 3 or 4 years--obviously that is a legitimate personal preference--but that it doesn't seem right to judge a player's character based on being one and done unless there's some clear evidence that he pursued his own goals during the season at the expense of his team, which I don't see here at all.)

Thanks to Austin for choosing Duke and for giving it your all while you were there. In exchange you got the opportunity to learn from a great coaching staff (which it appears you took full advantage of) and the opportunity to enjoy a year of college at a great school (which I hope you took advantage of). I wish you great success in the NBA, and I hope you have a chance to come back and finish your degree.
    I'd like to second everything you and others have posted in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post

To me, Irving and Rivers will always be true Duke guys.

Rivers, for his game winner against UNC and Kyrie for his effort against Arizona when no one else decided to show up.

Thanks Austin for picking Duke University and thank you for your effort on each and every play this year. I wish you success in your NBA career and hope it's a long one. God Bless you young man. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'd like to second everything you and others have posted in this thread.
    That's my feeling, too, with one qualifier. He may have left one year too early. Look at the team stats for the season. His is not the best, especially in the critical accuracy and turnover columns.

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    i would like to post a shout out to one of my favorite devils in recent memory.

in a lot of ways AR is a throwback. he didn't come to duke to "leave a legacy" and build his "brand", he came to duke to work hard, get better and beat the team you put in front of him and his teammates. he's not the type to disappear in the 4th quarter of the nba finals when his team needs him the most, he's the type to keep us in a game at unc and then have the onions to dagger them at the end.

maybe i'm assuming more about austin than i should, but i hope we get a lot more players with attitude "problems" like austin rivers. not to mention more players with his basketball skills.
    I couldn't agree more. Coach K gave him free reign since he was our best penetrator. I thought Austin did very, very well, considering the opposition always knew who was going to drive.

He never took a play off. No doubt he has much to learn, but his learning curve was very good all year. And there was no question that we got his best every time he took the floor. What more can you ask? We could have gotten a prima donna like Barnes, ya know? Instead, all Duke fans can be proud of what he will accomplish. And, oh, that dagger against Carolina was just about as good as it gets.

Go, Austin... and please show the Black Falcon what an "illustrious career" really means!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    That's my feeling, too, with one qualifier. He may have left one year too early. Look at the team stats for the season. His is not the best, especially in the critical accuracy and turnover columns.
    You can certainly make a reasonable argument about whether Austin would have benefited from another year at Duke. Ultimately, though, that's his call, and I hope it works out well for him.

The Carolina game was a classic; it will live in the top 5 of all time Duke Carolina games. Nothing could be finer!

Thank you Austin!

Godspeed Austin

Don't know how this wasn't posted yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1ewxVwhug

I can watch this time and time again. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Not to mention...

that he was the anti-Barnes. Instead of being calculating and scripted, he spoke his mind and he came through. He said he would make an impact in the UNC game, and he certainly did. And when he was pissed off, he said so in national TV without worrying if it would affect his draft status or his future earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Don't know how this wasn't posted yet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1ewxVwhug

I can watch this time and time again. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.
    I agree. I can watch over and over and over again!

If I sometimes feel a little annoyed and betrayed that he has left us I just have to look at this and forget all of those feelings.

In time all we will remember is this shot!!

Good luck Austin! Look forward to watching you next year!

Cool Austin going pro

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    The Carolina game was a classic; it will live in the top 5 of all time Duke Carolina games. Nothing could be finer!

Thank you Austin!
    Exactly! I was bumming until the last 10 minutes of that game and when Austin hit that shot I was screaming Oh my God over and over
    like some religious fanatic. With tens of thousands of dukies screaming the same thing, maybe even God took notice of it. Austin can do
    whatever he wants in my book. His will to win makes him the player he is. We were lucky to have him. Good luck in the NBA!

Quote Originally Posted by duke80 View Post
    Exactly! I was bumming until the last 10 minutes of that game and when Austin hit that shot I was screaming Oh my God over and over
    like some religious fanatic. With tens of thousands of dukies screaming the same thing, maybe even God took notice of it. Austin can do
    whatever he wants in my book. His will to win makes him the player he is. We were lucky to have him. Good luck in the NBA!
    As Chris Collins is reputed to have said after the UNC game re:Austin - "That's what he DOES!"

Austin was a straight-up baller. And, yeah, he WAS the best player on the team. Thanks for everything, Austin, and best wishes in the future.

A lot of kids can spend four years at Duke and never come close to giving us anything like, "The Shot." Austin graced us with one year of his time and effort and a play that will be shown everytime Duke plays UNC. Thank you good luck Austin.