Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Nolan 2.0?

Is Sulaimon being Nolan 2.0 an accurate description? If so, I am going to love Sulaimon from day 1.

What are the major differences between the two? Also, how is Sulaimon's D? I know that McD AA game doesn't show any defense, but I'm curious if anyone has any inside info about this aspect of his game.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Is Sulaimon being Nolan 2.0 an accurate description? If so, I am going to love Sulaimon from day 1.

What are the major differences between the two? Also, how is Sulaimon's D? I know that McD AA game doesn't show any defense, but I'm curious if anyone has any inside info about this aspect of his game.
    If you can watch Sulaimon and not see Nolan Smith, then I question your ability to see (). I've never seen such similarities. I'm not saying he'll be as good as junior-year Smith. But he's got that type of game, with perhaps a better 3pt shot. He's oh-so quick, has good ballhandling skills excellent leaping ability and a silky smoothness to his game. And great great range.

Differences? Sulaimon is probably a better shooter. And he's probably less of a passer than Smith was as an upperclassman. Hard to tell if he has Smith's chops defensively. But the overall similarities are eerie to me.

You really can't tell much defensively from these games other than shotblockers and ballhawking skills because it is so up-tempo with so little half-court offense. It's obvious that Sulaimon is quick and cares about defense, but it's hard to really tell how good he'll be on that end. He made a couple of nice defensive plays, and I'd expect him to be strong defensively, but I can't say that for certain from this game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If you can watch Sulaimon and not see Nolan Smith, then I question your ability to see (). I've never seen such similarities. I'm not saying he'll be as good as junior-year Smith. But he's got that type of game, with perhaps a better 3pt shot. He's oh-so quick, has good ballhandling skills excellent leaping ability and a silky smoothness to his game. And great great range.

Differences? Sulaimon is probably a better shooter. And he's probably less of a passer than Smith was as an upperclassman. Hard to tell if he has Smith's chops defensively. But the overall similarities are eerie to me.

You really can't tell much defensively from these games other than shotblockers and ballhawking skills because it is so up-tempo with so little half-court offense. It's obvious that Sulaimon is quick and cares about defense, but it's hard to really tell how good he'll be on that end. He made a couple of nice defensive plays, and I'd expect him to be strong defensively, but I can't say that for certain from this game.
    Thanks! Much appreciated.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Shabazz seemed like a very articulate, well spoken kid, who would likely place a great deal of emphasis on academics, as well as basketball. Maybe that will give us an edge in signing him, but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, I also did not come away with a good feeling about Shabazz choosing Duke. Fingers crossed.
    The will to win is nothing, without the will to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by sdwGT2 View Post
    Shabazz seemed like a very articulate, well spoken kid, who would likely place a great deal of emphasis on academics, as well as basketball. Maybe that will give us an edge in signing him, but as was mentioned earlier in this thread, I also did not come away with a good feeling about Shabazz choosing Duke. Fingers crossed.
    Muhammad is likely a one-and-done. So while academics may be important, I doubt they'll be a deciding factor. He's not likely to be around long enough for it to really matter where he spent his undergrad time.

Not saying he won't choose Duke. Just that even if he wants his degree it is likely going to require classes from some other institution (because he's going to be in the NBA).

Coming out of secondary school, Harrison Barnes was the reincarnation of Aristotle and he chose North Carolina over Duke. Duke just isn't what it once was. I'm afraid it is merely a factory for basketball now and that the more cerebral and high-brow types are searching for more distinguished realms of higher education.

I'm so annoyed with the one and done deal. Either let these kids go pro out of high school, or make them stay three years. Sorry, I'm beating a dead horse.

Shaq is the true Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    Coming out of secondary school, Harrison Barnes was the reincarnation of Aristotle and he chose North Carolina over Duke. Duke just isn't what it once was. I'm afraid it is merely a factory for basketball now and that the more cerebral and high-brow types are searching for more distinguished realms of higher education.
    Harrison Barnes was many things coming out of high school. Maybe if he made the right choice, he would have learned about team defense and passing.

Yes, Duke has slipped and isn't even a basketball factory. Consider, Harvard has more NBA stars than Duke right now.

But Barnes as Aristotle the Second - no way! Shaq is and always will be the Big Aristotle.

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    Harrison Barnes was many things coming out of high school. Maybe if he made the right choice, he would have learned about team defense and passing.

Yes, Duke has slipped and isn't even a basketball factory. Consider, Harvard has more NBA stars than Duke right now.

But Barnes as Aristotle the Second - no way! Shaq is and always will be the Big Aristotle.
    You mean Lin's 8 games are better than Kyrie's entire season of great games?

Muhammad is likely a one-and-done. So while academics may be important, I doubt they'll be a deciding factor. He's not likely to be around long enough for it to really matter where he spent his undergrad time.

Not saying he won't choose Duke. Just that even if he wants his degree it is likely going to require classes from some other institution (because he's going to be in the NBA).
    In that vein, I like how the announcers joked around regarding Rasheed's academic prowess and the fact that he's a national honor society member. So to them it seemed fitting that he chose a place like Duke. They actually joked that Duke must have been his "safety" school.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post

So Lin > Kyrie (likely rookie of the year) and Deng (NBA Allstar)?

Deng is a star around here, I can assure you. People love him. Boozer, not as much.

Gee, if Duke's academic rep has slipped that much, maybe the admissions board could see their way to letting a wider variety of football recruits into Duke?

I'm so annoyed with the one and done deal. Either let these kids go pro out of high school, or make them stay three years. Sorry, I'm beating a dead horse.
    You're not just beating a dead horse. You've run over it, backed over it, then run over it again

Deng is a star around here, I can assure you. People love him. Boozer, not as much.

Gee, if Duke's academic rep has slipped that much, maybe the admissions board could see their way to letting a wider variety of football recruits into Duke?
    Ahhhh...Deng. In the NBA, he's like Battier but with much better D. My favorite player to watch, because he is better than average in nearly everything (his passing has come out of nowhere. He is a beautiful point forward when D-Rose isn't on the floor) and amazing in a few areas (on-the-ball D, help D, denying players the ball, rebounding for a SF).

The good news is that Deng will never get traded as long as Thibodeau is coach. IMO, Thibodeau really likes Rose, but he loves Deng. Kinda like Phil Jackson with Kobe and Fisher.

Sulaimon's height

Yeah, Sulaimon looks a lot like Nolan Smith, which leads me to wonder about the 6'4" height. He certainly looked shorter than that and didn't "play big" if that makes sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I agree. Sulaimon is not 6' 4". I would guess 6' 1.5" - like Nolan. Again it is w shoes and w/o shoes. He is longer than Curry and Thornton but certainly not tall. He is a very smooth player. Muhammad may only be 6' 4" or 6' 5".
    Last June, Sulaimon measured 6' 4.5" with shoes at the Deron Williams Skills Academy. (He could have grown since then, though.) Nolan measured 6' 3.5" with shoes (6' 1.5" w/o) at the pre NBA draft workout. I can't find Muhammad's official measurements anywhere.

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/MaxWir...es-rosters.htm

I like it

Duke as a football and basketball powerhouse! Let's see if we can get Butch Davis. In fact, why worry at all about our school's rep? Winning is the only thing.

PS For the others who seemed offended by my Lin reference earlier, seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Last June, Sulaimon measured 6' 4.5" with shoes at the Deron Williams Skills Academy. (He could have grown since then, though.) Nolan measured 6' 3.5" with shoes (6' 1.5" w/o) at the pre NBA draft workout. I can't find Muhammad's official measurements anywhere.

He may be an inch taller than Smith. I'd buy that. I'm just saying that he played a small man's game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

Well I would guess an inch error is possible in all this- that said- he is not likely 6' 4" tall without shoes. But this kid can really play and shoot. Beautiful shot with range (much better than Nolan's at the same stage) and he is capable of driving. You can see the places he needs to develop- but these are tweaks. He will be a major player in the Duke system by his sophomore year.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    You're not just beating a dead horse. You've run over it, backed over it, then run over it again
    Or maybe he is a glue factory? ;P

I am in complete agreement with though, I hope the system DOES change, I'm just not holding my breath, or I'll be as dead as those horses.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    He will be a major player in the Duke system by his sophomore year.
    Agreed. Would love and hope for it to be during his first season, but expect his role to increase as a sophomore.