Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2012 McDonald's All-American Game Thread

I haven't seen a thread for this, so I thought I'd start one.

bazz looking big time.....

our boy sheed looking silky....and smart
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    bazz looking big time.....

our boy sheed looking silky....and smart
    Agreed on both fronts. Bazz is legit. Really legit.

Information so far doesnt sound good on any of the three recruits. I hope we can pull at least one and add a transfer. Still think Mason comes back. Let's cross our fingers....

Liking what I see from Rasheed so far. He's hit a couple 3's. He takes it to the basket in traffic. Looks very comparable to Nolan Smith from what I can tell. I don't think this kid will have a problem finding a productive role at Duke.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Sulaimon is 3-4 on 3-pointers by my count, but I admit I've walked away from the TV briefly a couple of times. I agree his jumper is smooth and he has demonstrated both speed and ball handling ability in this game. He should develop into a real talent at Duke.
    Bob Green

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Sulaimon is 3-4 on 3-pointers by my count, but I admit I've walked away from the TV briefly a couple of times. I agree his jumper is smooth and he has demonstrated both speed and ball handling ability in this game. He should develop into a real talent at Duke.
    Yep, looks good! I also agree with CDu on his evaluations. Shabazz is just sick. Man, if he somehow chooses Duke, the ante will be upped big time. I know it is a longshot, but Dave Telep can be wrong once in a slim while. That would be incredible. He is just a man among boys out there and brings great focus and drive to boot.

Early in the second half, Sulaimon showed even more evidence that he'll be ready to contribute. He is very quick. I'm glad jipops also sees Nolan Smith in his game, because that was my immediate image. He's smooth, super quick, explosive, and can really shoot. I'm really excited about him. He's been the second or third most impressive player so far (Muhammad and maybe Anderson have been more impressive).

Jefferson just showed a nice up and under move to shake a defender and get a layup. He's more Lance Thomas than CJ Leslie in terms of athleticism. But he's got good ballhandling skills and decent range for a PF.

Paige has made a couple of nice passes. I don't see Marshall in him, but he's done a bit more in this half worthy of note.

Parker is making his presence felt a bit more in the second half. He's a pretty good offensive rebounder. Good hands and good touch around the basket. The only knock I have is that he's chubby and struggles to get up and down the court. The Reggie Johnson comp seems more and more apt. Hopefully he has Johnson's motor though.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Parker is making his presence felt a bit more in the second half. He's a pretty good offensive rebounder. Good hands and good touch around the basket. The only knock I have is that he's chubby and struggles to get up and down the court. The Reggie Johnson comp seems more and more apt. Hopefully he has Johnson's motor though.
    I wouldn't mind having a Reggie Johnson on our roster.

How is Rasheed Sulaimon's D (assuming you can tell in a game like this)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    How is Rasheed Sulaimon's D (assuming you can tell in a game like this)?
    Well he actually played some D so that's a good sign. I know he had a steal in the 1st half. The best observation I have is he has demonstrated quickness.
    Bob Green

Sulaimon just had another steal and delivered a pass for an easy bucket so he earned an assist.
    Bob Green

Nice assist

Sulaimon just had another steal and delivered a pass for an easy bucket so he earned an assist.
    I was more impressed by that pass than by Suliamon's shooting (which I was lead to expect).

Quote Originally Posted by westwall View Post
    I was more impressed by that pass than by Suliamon's shooting (which I was lead to expect).
    Sulaimon scored 18 points and was 4-8 on 3-pointers so his shooting was pretty good:

http://blogs2.citizen-times.com/hshuddle/

The East trailed by as many as 24 with 12:03 left, but it mounted an impressive comeback. Amile Jefferson had a dunk to make it 93-88 with 3:42 left, but Sulaimon answered with a 3. Rodney Purvis’ three-point play got the East within four with 1:19 left, but Sulaimon answered with a three-point play of his own.
    Bob Green

Well he actually played some D so that's a good sign. I know he had a steal in the 1st half. The best observation I have is he has demonstrated quickness.
    Very impressed with Rasheed. Very quick, excellent stroke from outside, and can get to the rim impressively. He'll get some major burn next year. He's got a lot of Nolan in him, but (at the same stage) perhaps even more impressive. I get very excited when a talent like him comes in who also has an amiable personality, humility, and a good work ethic. Excited about this guy.

Sulaimon just scored a traditional 3-point play on a backdoor cut. He looks very good. Amile Jefferson appears to be a versatile player so if he picks Duke he could be a player capable of playing multiple positions once he matures.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Very impressed with Rasheed. Very quick, excellent stroke from outside, and can get to the rim impressively. He'll get some major burn next year. He's got a lot of Nolan in him, but (at the same stage) perhaps even more impressive. I get very excited when a talent like him comes in who also has an amiable personality, humility, and a good work ethic. Excited about this guy.
    This is an important thing to note. Sulaimon definitely seems further along than Smith did at his McDonald's game. He's noticeably more athletic than any of the guards on this year's team, and he has a feathery shot and strong ballhandling skills.

Even though the outcome of this game doesn't matter i think it says something that the coach had Sheed in the game toward the end when it got close and that he made plays down the stretch to help his team win. I like this kid a lot, very excited about him, should be interesting how he fits in the rotation of all our guards next year.

Oh yea and GOOO BEEAARRRSSS... Mercer 2012 CIT champs!!!!!

Sulaimon plays every play. Alert O and D, all-around skills, smart smarts, good handle, passer, shooter.

I like Jefferson a lot, maybe because I think we have a slightly better shot at getting him than Muhammad or Parker. Jefferson isn't as unusual as is Kyle Anderson, whom Duke was interested in at one point [and I'd like to know why that faded...]; but Jefferson is also very active, pretty good handle, alert like Sulaimon. Hope he picks Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Sulaimon plays every play. Alert O and D, all-around skills, smart smarts, good handle, passer, shooter.

I like Jefferson a lot, maybe because I think we have a slightly better shot at getting him than Muhammad or Parker. Jefferson isn't as unusual as is Kyle Anderson, whom Duke was interested in at one point [and I'd like to know why that faded...]; but Jefferson is also very active, pretty good handle, alert like Sulaimon. Hope he picks Duke.
    In terms of guys who could start or make an immediate impact for us, I'd say Muhammad and Sulaimon fit that description. Parker could potentially start, but his stamina is probably going to be an issue. He's got the size, hands, and touch to be an immediate presence. Jefferson has some nice skills, but he's so skinny and not terribly explosive. Seems like a 10-15mpg guy next year. With a bit more strength, he is a very interesting player.