Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coaching Bigs

Coaching Bigs

I have noticed for some time that we have had problems in developing our bigs in recent years. Miles didn't improve that much, Mason has gotten
    better but not enormously, Zoubs never developed into nearly the end (although he had obvious injury problems), and McBobs had trouble developing
    a good low post game too.

If you look at the coaching staff, they're all guards. There's not one big on the staff. I think it's time for K, if Chris Collins is leaving, to hire
    a big coach who IS a big; someone who can work with them day after day on moves, footwork, positioning, etc. How about Laettner (hey,
    he's with the Toros, right?), Eric Meek maybe, or someone else who is/was a decent low post player. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    I have noticed for some time that we have had problems in developing our bigs in recent years. Miles didn't improve that much, Mason has gotten
    better but not enormously, Zoubs never developed into nearly the end (although he had obvious injury problems), and McBobs had trouble developing

If you look at the coaching staff, they're all guards. There's not one big on the staff. I think it's time for K, if Chris Collins is leaving, to hire
    a big coach who IS a big; someone who can work with them day after day on moves, footwork, positioning, etc. How about Laettner (hey,
    he's with the Toros, right?), Eric Meek maybe, or someone else who is/was a decent low post player. Any suggestions?
    This topic has been discussed ad nauseum on the site. I predict much gnashing of teeth until this thread is closed.

My suggestion is that you take a second look at where Miles, Mason and Zoubek were when they arrived in college.

I'd like to see a comparative list on the Coaches height of other schools.
    Until you can show me that, I think its overblown.

Who better to tell the big where to be to receive the ball than a PG used to delivering it?

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I'd like to see a comparative list on the Coaches height of other schools.
    Until you can show me that, I think its overblown.

Who better to tell the big where to be to receive the ball than a PG used to delivering it?
    One of the most successful pitching coaches in MLB history, Dave Duncan, was a catcher when he played.

How many years in a row has this been a thread?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    I believe ever year that a big man wasn't the best player so yeah pretty much every year that didn't involve a guy named Laettner, Brand, Boozer or Williams just to name a few.

The question is not how many years in a row, but how many times per year.

1f, my friends. 1f.

How long has the internet existed?

How many years in a row has it been a reasonable question?...

Good for you, OP, for posting an unpopular question -- one which has been a "cause celebre" for me over the years. We all love Wojo but nobody has yet explained to me how his coaching the bigs has been an asset to the program. I wish we could have that conversation here, but for some reason this topic is off limits and anyone who questions the coaching has their loyalty to the program questioned. I don't get it.

So often that I thought it was a parody post.

Quote Originally Posted by LamJones View Post

Good for you, OP, for posting an unpopular question -- one which has been a "cause celebre" for me over the years. We all love Wojo but nobody has yet explained to me how his coaching the bigs has been an asset to the program. I wish we could have that conversation here, but for some reason this topic is off limits and anyone who questions the coaching has their loyalty to the program questioned. I don't get it.
    Whatever your stance is, there's not really much of a conversation to be had, and it always ends the same way. There's just not really any point in going through the motions every time someone new signs up and posts the thread.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Mods just might as well sticky this since it will never go away. It's the only sure fire way to prevent it popping up as a new thread.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I am available, salary, to be negotiated.
    My resume includes many years of watching every other elite team in the country feed the low post, and I really paid attention.

I'm not a big, but I have big ideas. Hopefully that would count?

Although I am 5'8" and a buck sixty, and know that I would be more of the same, I can guarantee that all current 6'10" strong, athletic post players will sprint to a spot directly under the basket, get low, and seal the defender on their hip.

They will demand the ball. Demand it. I am a motivator.

I can promise that each will actually have something resembling a "go to" move, probably a little jump hook. Regardless, I will have them turning and throwing something up immediately after receiving the entry pass.

On second thought, I can't promise that they will ever get a shot, or an entry pass, so I guess I can't promise anything except my post "projects" will sprint down court and go directly under the basket.

I will not bring my new iPad to work.

Please contact me on my cell after 6pm, I'm usually busy during the day.

Please don't Skype me, I would rather we just Tweet if that's the only contact option.

Wheat/"/"/"
    Last edited by Wheat/"/"/"; 03-28-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Additionalcontact info

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    One of the most successful pitching coaches in MLB history, Dave Duncan, was a catcher when he played.
    Shaq is one of the best centers in NBA history, but that doesn't mean it's desirable to have your big guys be poor free throw shooters.

There's an intelligent debate to be had on the subject, but unfortunately it won't ever happen here because the topic's become too divisive and repetitive on both sides of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by LamJones View Post

It's been a "cause clebre" for you over the years, yet this is your fourth post?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    It's been a "cause clebre" for you over the years, yet this is your fourth post?
    I think there's a poster out there who is trying to see how many times he can get this topic posted. To do this he enlists a number of friends to pose the question. It's a conspiracy of the largest magnitude!!!

To answer the OP, I present Pete Newell, arguably the biggest big man coach. Height - 6' 2". Position - Guard.

1) Big men are usually ranked on perceived potential

2) Big men take much longer to develop...footwork etc...

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    The question is not how many years in a row, but how many times per year.

1f, my friends. 1f.
    You're right. This board has one after every loss. Getting a little tired of rehashing this every year.

Sometimes perception outweighs reality when it comes to recruiting. Regardless of how good a big man coach Wojo is, until Duke starts producing stud big men, Duke will be perceived as a school that can't develop big men. Brand and Boozer are now distance memories to recruits.