Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Much of the Barnes story is fairly normal. A very highly rated prospect turns out to be not as good as advertised...good but not a superstar.
    Happens frequently and has happened in Durham, too.

What makes this story interesting, and frankly satisfying to Duke fans like myself, is the degree of hype and promotion that was due to the player himself.
    In fact, perhaps that hype and self-promotion enhanced his rating when he was in high school. I suspect Barnes will make a very good living as a pro, and may even get an endorsement or two. But the idea that he's the next Jordan or transcendant basketball player is just silly, and probably always was.

The most interesting aspect at this point IMO is whether Barnes acquires some humility along the way.
    Last edited by roywhite; 03-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.

A Parable of The Black Falcon?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Much of the Barnes story is fairly normal. A very highly rated prospect turns out to be not as good as advertised...good but not a superstar.
    In the famous movie "The Maltese Falcon" a great deal of interest surrounds a statuette of a black falcon.

At the end of the movie, the statuette is finally obtained and examined closely.

It turns out to be just an ordinary statuette of a black falcon, and not the fabulous treasure covered with jewels so many thought it was.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    In the famous movie "The Maltese Falcon" a great deal of interest surrounds a statuette of a black falcon.

At the end of the movie, the statuette is finally obtained and examined closely.

It turns out to be just an ordinary statuette of a black falcon, and not the fabulous treasure covered with jewels so many thought it was.
    Maybe Barnes knew all along...

So he's the stuff dreams are made of?

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    So he's the stuff dreams are made of?
    If you believe God made the Skype Carolina blue...

UNC coaching staff meeting?

So I take it Ol' Roy gets the Kasper Gutman role, or is he Joel Cario?

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Ol' Roy plays the statue!

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Sure, I would give Ol Roy the Kasper Gutman role. Like Gutman, he seems to take the disappointment with a resigned chuckle.

Joel Cairo would have to be that segment of the Heel fan base that completely flipped out over the poor performance of Barnes against Ohio and Kansas.

Wow

I have always loved calling Prince Harry the Black Pigeon and never thought it would be topped. Until now. That is uncanny.

for a kick, I decided to figure out whose legacy HB managed to match. I had a hunch who it might be, and here are some stats:

Harrison Barnes:
    Sophomore- 17.1 pts, 5.2 reb, 1.1 ast
    Freshman- 15.7 pts, 5.8 reb, 1.4 ast; ACC Rookie of the Year

Other UNC Legend:
    Sophomore- 20.9 pts, 6.1 reb, 3.5 ast; co-ACC Player of the Year
    Freshman- 16.7 pts, 5.5 reb, 2.6 ast; ACC Rookie of the Year, Final Four

So, HB doesn't quite stack up to the other legendary UNC scorer I had in mind (neither in stats nor in career accomplishments). It's too bad for HB that as great as his legacy was, he'll always be a notch below Joe Forte.

Sure, I would give Ol Roy the Kasper Gutman role. Like Gutman, he seems to take the disappointment with a resigned chuckle.

Joel Cairo would have to be that segment of the Heel fan base that completely flipped out over the poor performance of Barnes against Ohio and Kansas.
    Which means we will let the kids left behind assume the role of Wilmer Cook, as they are the ones left holding the bag.

Still crazy to think what a lineup of:

Irving
    Smith
    Barnes
    Singler
    Plumlee

would have been. Then they would have had Dawkins, Thornton, Plumlee, Kelly, and Hairston as backups. Well he was still a good player just would have been better to make that brand at Duke. I dont see how any player says they are going to build a brand at Carolina. I mean they only have 30 players in their roster. Kind of hard to build any name for yourself with all those names in front of you. Even more so when you are behind the greatest NBA player in the media error.

lives near a number of big white buildings

SALE! Sharply discounted !

One only...."Brand name" goods (might be counterfeit?)....did not "sell"...marked down this year...and as of today being cleared out.

<<applies only to HB not JH and KM who now command a premium due to increased value>>

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    Still crazy to think what a lineup of:

Irving
    Smith
    Barnes
    Singler
    Plumlee

would have been. Then they would have had Dawkins, Thornton, Plumlee, Kelly, and Hairston as backups.
    and Curry

i wonder how he will look back on his decision to go to unc...not go to unc over duke, rather, just the decision to go to unc..

it seems that a LOT of unc fans have turned against him...big time...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Looks like the marketing campaign continues.

Coming soon to stores near you?

Exclamation Logo!

The Black Falcon now has a nifty logo!

Ap0JHUICMAAqImd.jpg

Discuss.

EDIT: Well, darn...Roy shared the same thing as I was posting.

Exclusive clothing for "the Classic Underachiever" by Black Falcon.
    Or "Potential" by Black Falcon.
    Or "Dreams Unrealized" by Black Falcon.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The Black Falcon now has a nifty logo!

Ap0JHUICMAAqImd.jpg

Discuss.

EDIT: Well, darn...Roy shared the same thing as I was posting.
    ...great minds and all that...

Even the IC people are not sure what to make of this.

My favorite comment:
    Cool logo, does it fade when exposed to bright lights?