Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Lack of quickness, something that can't be easily fixed, will limit his potential. Even more than his handle, this is what limits HB's ability to create and score in multiple ways. Plenty of college 3s with average to suspect handles find a way to get to the rim consistently. Barnes never. The lack of quickness will also prevent him from ever competently defending 3s and especially 2s at the next level. I suspect he will be a solid to good scorer, especially on a team with a strong PG, especially if he can increase his range to hit 3s consistently. But ultimately, he simply does not have the overall athleticism to be a real star. I see his ceiling as starter on a bad team, high value role player on a contender. Won't ever sniff an All-Star game though.

Shumpert's a flawed player, but a valuable one. He shot under 40 percent in college and is predictably doing that in the pros, but he plays defense like a fiend. He harassed the heck out of Derrick Rose the other day, which isn't easy to do. Consider him Donnie Walsh's last gift to the Knicks before his administration of competence and respectability was replaced by one of opaqueness and wretchedness.

Jury's out on Barnes. He's got the skills, depends whether he can develop his defense and handle into something better than it is right now, while getting stronger at the same time. If he hones his shot, he kind of reminds me of Rashard Lewis, who was a very capable player by his second season out of high school. Of course, Lewis had more natural ability and a couple inches on Barnes. Maybe the best case scenario here is Danilo Gallinari? His defense and ability to drive were questioned as well coming into the league, and now they're strengths.

Or Barnes could wash out. Or he could have a relatively long and undistinguished career, like Danny Ferry. It's too early to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    But ultimately, he simply does not have the overall athleticism to be a real star. I see his ceiling as starter on a bad team, high value role player on a contender.
    If I had to bet money, I would go something along these lines. I could see him scoring at a decent clip (16 ppg) for the Bobcats or the Wizards of the world, but if he is on a better team, I can't see him being able to carry that much of the load at an efficient clip.

As Billy said, the coop that the Pigeon flies into will have a huge impact on how his game translates.

art_dnp_shirt.jpg

more like this...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    Shumpert's a flawed player, but a valuable one. He shot under 40 percent in college and is predictably doing that in the pros, but he plays defense like a fiend. He harassed the heck out of Derrick Rose the other day, which isn't easy to do. Consider him Donnie Walsh's last gift to the Knicks before his administration of competence and respectability was replaced by one of opaqueness and wretchedness.

Jury's out on Barnes. He's got the skills, depends whether he can develop his defense and handle into something better than it is right now, while getting stronger at the same time. If he hones his shot, he kind of reminds me of Rashard Lewis, who was a very capable player by his second season out of high school. Of course, Lewis had more natural ability and a couple inches on Barnes. Maybe the best case scenario here is Danilo Gallinari? His defense and ability to drive were questioned as well coming into the league, and now they're strengths.

Or Barnes could wash out. Or he could have a relatively long and undistinguished career, like Danny Ferry. It's too early to tell.
    All the players you listed are 6'10" or greater. Barnes is 6'8"... Can't see him being as good as the other guys you listed.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    All the players you listed are 6'10" or greater. Barnes is 6'8"... Can't see him being as good as the other guys you listed.
    Also, apropos of nothing, Gallinari and Lewis have the same birthday, as does Will Avery, Dustin Hoffman and yours truly.

Anyway, it's true, all those guys are taller than Barnes. His game just reminds me of theirs, that's all -- or at least, what he could potentially be on the next level given the skills and body he brings to the table. I agree that he probably won't be as good as Gallinari and Lewis (at his peak). Ferry, he has a shot at.

Also, apropos of nothing, Gallinari and Lewis have the same birthday, as does Will Avery, Dustin Hoffman and yours truly.

Anyway, it's true, all those guys are taller than Barnes. His game just reminds me of theirs, that's all -- or at least, what he could potentially be on the next level given the skills and body he brings to the table. I agree that he probably won't be as good as Gallinari and Lewis (at his peak). Ferry, he has a shot at.
    Fair enough. My point was mainly that he'll have more trouble getting off his shot than Lewis or Dano do. Ferry, while sad to admit, is the lesser player of that group and definitely fits as a projection for Barnes.

The real question here is, though... Since you share birthdays do you also have to share your cake?

Based on what, though? Ferry was a much better player as a sophomore than anything we've seen out of Barnes to date.

Rebranding

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    In Kerr's mind, this was Top 5 to Top 15, and he went on to say that Barnes would only be a "value pick" around 15 or so, and that picking him in the Top 5 was the kind of move that gets GMs fired. So a slightly harsher view than most perhaps, but also likely to be more objective.
    I'm sure none of us ever saw the Pigeon as a potential value pick. I guess that makes him the Costco of draft choices.

Considering that he's so brand conscious, don't be surprised if he changes his middle name from Jordan to Kirkland.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Based on what, though? Ferry was a much better player as a sophomore than anything we've seen out of Barnes to date.
    Based on that Ferry averaged seven points a game for his career. The bar's set pretty low, and it's not like Barnes is bereft of talent. It's Ferry's longevity, of course, that Barnes actually should hope to match.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Fair enough. My point was mainly that he'll have more trouble getting off his shot than Lewis or Dano do. Ferry, while sad to admit, is the lesser player of that group and definitely fits as a projection for Barnes.

The real question here is, though... Since you share birthdays do you also have to share your cake?
    Yup, we're on the same page. I'd worry about getting off a shot if I'm Barnes as well.

I'd gladly share cake with any of them. But not Scott Stapp. (Also Aug. 8)

Yup, we're on the same page. I'd worry about getting off a shot if I'm Barnes as well.

Yea, that guy sucks.

I knew that date rang a bell. You also share a birthday with Roger Federer. (although I prefer Rafael Nadal)

mmmmmmmmm. pigeon

images.jpeg

Barnes reminds me more of Mike Miller than Gallinari. Miller's not a super star but has had a solid NBA career.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Barnes reminds me more of Mike Miller than Gallinari. Miller's not a super star but has had a solid NBA career.
    I can see the Mike Miller comparison, but Miller is a better shooter.

This season, Miller is shooting over 47% from both the field and from 3-pt.
    For his career, Miller has shot better than 40% from 3-pt.

I've mentioned this before, but Barnes shot 35.3% on 3's this past season, that from the college 3-pt line.
    Seems like HB's main value will be as a jump shooter, and even in that area he will need to improve significantly to make an impact in the NBA.

Wasn't sure where to put this...

Quinn's already got a better "Brand" than Harry!
    Let me know when and where I can get one. Love it!

http://instagr.am/p/JStTYcOgTp/

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    I'll do you one better. Minus the girth - he's Brian Stith or Dennis Scott (although hardly as prolific as those guys). But mostly he's just Bob Sura...

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I'll do you one better. Minus the girth - he's Brian Stith or Dennis Scott (although hardly as prolific as those guys). But mostly he's just Bob Sura...
    I have many fond memories of those guys (I'm guessing you are taking about Bryant Stith) and the ACC of that era. I hate to taint those memories will the association to Barnes. Miller on the other hand was a Duke miss and then beat us in the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I can see the Mike Miller comparison, but Miller is a better shooter.

This season, Miller is shooting over 47% from both the field and from 3-pt.
    For his career, Miller has shot better than 40% from 3-pt.

I've mentioned this before, but Barnes shot 35.3% on 3's this past season, that from the college 3-pt line.
    Seems like HB's main value will be as a jump shooter, and even in that area he will need to improve significantly to make an impact in the NBA.
    Miller is also a universe better as a passer than Barnes, and always has been.