Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What happens if Collins is offered and takes the Illinois job?

Does Wojo work with the guards? What happens with Nate, does he move over to the bigmen? Or do we go after Laettner? What're we looking at here?

K hires Trey Ziegler's dad, who as a staff member can have tuition remitted for his son, who enrolls at Duke but does not need a basketball scholarship, so can be a team member without the need to free up a scholly. (Just kidding!)

Maybe Doc offers Capel a position and we can bring Hurley, Paulus or JWill in. Paulus i believe has helped Craft turn into what we all expected Greg to be while he was here. He might be an even better coach than point guard.

interest?

Does Illinois even have an interest in Collins?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    News flash. Wojo switched over to coaching the PG's earlier in the season. Capel and Nate worked with the bigs.

Collins appears to be a longshot at this point as Illinois is seeking to hire a minority coach due to the fact they have never had one. They will have to strike out a lot before Collins would get a shot. If they stick to that route it seems Capel would have a better chance than Chris. No clue if Capel is on their list or if he would have interest.

Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Maybe Doc offers Capel a position and we can bring Hurley, Paulus or JWill in. Paulus i believe has helped Craft turn into what we all expected Greg to be while he was here. He might be an even better coach than point guard.
    Is this whole post a joke? That's not a rhetorical question. I don't know where the part about Doc offering Capel a job is coming from.

It wouldn't be that hard for Paulus to be a better coach than he was a point guard, considering he left Duke a shooting guard. I would think the credit for Craft's development would go to Coach Thad Matta. Paulus isn't even a "coach" for Ohio State. Unless I am mistaken, he is a video coordinator.

I do not think any of those 3 guys would be in the Duke bench if Collins were to take the Illinois job. Jdub has a cushy ESPN job. Hurley is working with his brother. Paulus is just not that great of a basketball mind/hire for us IMO.

I think your post is a joke, the more I think about it, but maybe I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    News flash. Wojo switched over to coaching the PG's earlier in the season. Capel and Nate worked with the bigs.

Collins appears to be a longshot at this point as Illinois is seeking to hire a minority coach due to the fact they have never had one. They will have to strike out a lot before Collins would get a shot. If they stick to that route it seems Capel would have a better chance than Chris. No clue if Capel is on their list or if he would have interest.
    Thanks for that info, I hadn't heard that. It seems that I'm not the only one, Tony Parker is under the impression that Wojo is still the big man coach. That's according to his "Round Table" article. Somebody call that kid quick?

Quote Originally Posted by lilblue View Post
    Does Wojo work with the guards? What happens with Nate, does he move over to the bigmen? Or do we go after Laettner? What're we looking at here?
    Yes please! I'd love to get some of that old Duke swagger back in Durham!

Collins appears to be a longshot at this point as Illinois is seeking to hire a minority coach due to the fact they have never had one. They will have to strike out a lot before Collins would get a shot.
    Perhaps Chris could say "I know who I am. I'm the Coach playin' the Coach, disguised as another Coach!"
    Sorry - seemed like a great paraphrase to my fave "Tropic Thunder" line..

Laettner

I would absolutely love Laettner back, especially after I watched the back to back documentary, but I don't think he's a coach. Laettner's a-holeness is great as a player, you don't want to have another player show you up like Laettner did to his teammates, so you do your best to get back at him by playing better. As a coach, I'm not sure that's exactly what you want. Could he be great? yeah probably, but he could also be really, really bad. I could see kids not wanting to play for Laettner.

I don't think the Duke coaching ring changes a lot if Collins roles out. I think Capel and Wojo are the clear cut number 2's, and then Nate pops in at the 3 spot, and maybe we bring Carrawell back to do whatever he did last year. Whatever happens, I don't want Collins to drag Jabari Parker to wherever he goes, but I would really like to see a mix-up from the old system. I'm not saying I want somebody who didn't play for Duke, but I would like to see someone outside of the 2000 Duke teams (time trends). I think Hurley would be great, but he's not going to leave Danny, who I believe he really enjoys being around and above all else, I want to see Bobby Hurley enjoying himself, he's been through enough.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-25-2012 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Redacted rumor mongering

I hope Coach Collins is able to land a big job. I would hate to see him go for selfish reasons as I think he has had a profound impact on Duke basketball. I know it has been discussed throughout the season but he seemed to have a lot of input on the bench, in play calling, the lineup. So obviously he played an important role. Not sure what would happen but I'm certain that as long as Coach K is making the calls, Duke will be just fine.

Mmmmm... I missed this shift in assignments. When did it happen? Nate's job description (as he described it throughout the last month of the home season) included no coaching or recruiting duties. During the tournament practices, Wojo ran those for the big men.

I'm not sure that's accurate. Last I heard, Wojo was still working with the bigs (at least based on reports that discussed his work with Mason and Miles). James isn't even officially an assistant coach this year (he had to be reassigned when Capel came on board). I haven't seen anything to suggest that Wojo isn't still the big man's coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    It wouldn't be that hard for Paulus to be a better coach than he was a point guard, considering he left Duke a shooting guard. I would think the credit for Craft's development would go to Coach Thad Matta. Paulus isn't even a "coach" for Ohio State. Unless I am mistaken, he is a video coordinator.
    This is correct. Unless someone has inside information on Ohio St., crediting Paulus with the development of their players seems like a gigantic reach.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I would say that Kraft's progress as a player is all due to Kraft himself, and it was done prior to coming to OSU. It certainly hasn't been due to Paulus. Here are Kraft's numbers at OSU:

2011: 29.6mpg, 6.9ppg, 4.8apg, 2.9rpg, 2.0spg, 2.1tpg, 46.1% fg, 37.7% 3pt fg, 72.7% ft
    2012: 32.0mpg, 8.8ppg, 4.7apg, 3.3rpg, 2.5spg, 2.2tpg, 50.7% fg, 34.4% 3pt fg, 71.1% ft

Basically, he's a slightly better player than he was last year. He was an elite defender last year and he was an elite defender this year. I don't see a whole lot of development being done - either by Matta or by Paulus.

I would have to assume that if any of the 3 assistants leaves, Nate James would officially become an assistant coach again.

The question would then be whether Chris Carrawell comes back to Durham to take the non-assistant assistant role. He's currently an assistant in the D-League.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I would have to assume that if any of the 3 assistants leaves, Nate James would officially become an assistant coach again.

The question would then be whether Chris Carrawell comes back to Durham to take the non-assistant assistant role. He's currently an assistant in the D-League.
    That would be the logical sequence. James would return to an official assistant's role and probably take over Collins's recruting duties.

if chris leaves, i hope he goes to a place where he can mold the system and win...i think he's got a great BB mind...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm not sure that's accurate. Last I heard, Wojo was still working with the bigs (at least based on reports that discussed his work with Mason and Miles). James isn't even officially an assistant coach this year (he had to be reassigned when Capel came on board). I haven't seen anything to suggest that Wojo isn't still the big man's coach.
    Will post the link tonight after work. May have been a temporary move or something but it definitely happened. The source is Coach K. (And I know Nate is not an official assistant coach at this point but he is still allowed to attend practices like C-Well did when he was in the role. Nate did help with the bigs the year he was a fulltime assistant)

I assume that Nate James will be bumped back up to being an official assistant. Might be a nominal change more than anything.

Whether Coach K decides to fortify his bench with additional positions similar to the one Nate held this year, I'm not sure. Chris Spatola is already something of a "special" assistant. Chris Carrawell may be offered his old job back after working with the women's team this year. Or we could see someone new entirely.