The DBR Apathy Towards Golf Drought is Over

Well, Tiger Woods finally won again today. And importantly, he looked a lot like the pre-Thanksgiving 2009 Tiger in doing so. Actually, I'd say tee to green he looked even better. But it wasn't just the quality of his shots and putting, he seemed to have the steely focus and disposition he had in the past ... that look in the eyes.

Whether you like him or not, I think this is good for the game and sets up a very compelling Masters in 11 days (as well as the rest of the season). I suspect Masters ratings this year could set a record if Tiger is in contention. And based on the way he played this week, and how he has fared at Augusta during the past few years when he was still working his way back, I'd be shocked if he wasn't in contention during the weekend.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Is Tiger Back?

This was a classic beatdown. Of the top 16 players after the third round, only Tiger broke par (-2), building his margin from one shot to five shots. so, in addition to playing well, there seemed to be some -- umm -- intimidation at work.

sage

Supposed to be hot and dry this week in Augusta, so the course should be in magnificent shape. Talked to a friend who was working out there last week, said the course is in fantastic shape (even by the National's standards). Should be a fun one.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This was a classic beatdown. Of the top 16 players after the third round, only Tiger broke par (-2), building his margin from one shot to five shots. so, in addition to playing well, there seemed to be some -- umm -- intimidation at work.

sage
    Interesting point - which I think was emphasized by McDowell's quote:

"I think he really just kind of nailed home his comeback," McDowell said. "Great to have a front-row seat watching maybe the greatest of all-time doing what he does best -- winning golf tournaments."

You don't think these guys know how important Tiger is to the tour?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Interesting point - which I think was emphasized by McDowell's quote:

"I think he really just kind of nailed home his comeback," McDowell said. "Great to have a front-row seat watching maybe the greatest of all-time doing what he does best -- winning golf tournaments."

You don't think these guys know how important Tiger is to the tour?
    You got it. The TV audience will return and the money will continue to flow.

Congrats to Tiger and I'm glad he's "back"! I am a fan. I was driving home from Florida yesterday and listened to the entire round on XM radio (PGA channel), not seeing any of it. Golf a good radio sport? Only when Tiger is playing! But the radio announcers kept commenting on his confidence in making putts - he was ramming them home like he used to, not timidly leaving them short as he has for the last two years. How many times on this board have I said that when Tiger wins, it's because he's the best putter in golf, not because of how far he hits the ball off the tee? Several to many times. The announcers also commented that his ball striking this week was outstanding, perhaps back to his 2004/5 level, hitting fairways and greens for four rounds. Only his chipping/short game as below excellent and needs some more work.

Yes, the Masters should be very interesting, and likely #15 for him!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

So what changed in the past week that he couldn't find the previous many months?

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves

I'd put a little damper on this, as exactly 2 of the top 11 in the world rankings were at this tournament. Not to denigrate McDowell, who's stood up to Woods in the past in a one-on-one situation, but while Tiger looked a lot like the Tiger of old yesterday, I think I need to wait and see what happens at a Major. If they can get a direct Tiger vs. Rory matchup (almost happened at the Honda, and at Dubai where Tiger faded on Sunday while McIlroy made a run), then I agree, Masters ratings will be absolutely through the roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    I'd put a little damper on this, as exactly 2 of the top 11 in the world rankings were at this tournament. Not to denigrate McDowell, who's stood up to Woods in the past in a one-on-one situation, but while Tiger looked a lot like the Tiger of old yesterday, I think I need to wait and see what happens at a Major. If they can get a direct Tiger vs. Rory matchup (almost happened at the Honda, and at Dubai where Tiger faded on Sunday while McIlroy made a run), then I agree, Masters ratings will be absolutely through the roof.
    Agreed, although with one major caveat: winning at that level has a lot to do with confidence. While it may not have been the strongest field, it was still the kind of field that he has not beaten for awhile. Give him some confidence, get him to a course he loves (Augusta), let him be within four or five shots at the turn on Sunday -- look out.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Agreed, although with one major caveat: winning at that level has a lot to do with confidence. While it may not have been the strongest field, it was still the kind of field that he has not beaten for awhile. Give him some confidence, get him to a course he loves (Augusta), let him be within four or five shots at the turn on Saturday -- look out.
    Edited your quote above. Interesting stat: Tiger is 14-1 when leading or sharing the lead at the start of the final round in Majors, but 0-41 when trailing. Tiger tends to make a big move on Saturday but hasn't historically been a big come from behind player.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Edited your quote above. Interesting stat: Tiger is 14-1 when leading or sharing the lead at the start of the final round in Majors, but 0-41 when trailing. Tiger tends to make a big move on Saturday but hasn't historically been a big come from behind player.
    True, but as the old saying goes -- The Masters doesn't start until the back nine on Sunday. You can shoot a 30, or a 40, coming in.

(And by "you" I mean the hypothetical super sick scratch golfer "you" -- all may self-apply as appropriate).

Why did Kornheiser say (last week) that this past weekend's tourney was not such a hot one and that in previous years, when he was on top, Eldrick used to shun playing in it?

I don't follow golf other than as an extremely uninterested observer but I like Rory McElroy. Eldrick was on GMA last week shilling his new video game and I could have sworn he's had a hair transplant or a nice toupee made for himself?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Why did Kornheiser say (last week) that this past weekend's tourney was not such a hot one and that in previous years, when he was on top, Eldrick used to shun playing in it?
    Tiger shun The King's tournament? I don't think so - he's won it seven ( 7 ) times now!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Honda, not Bay Hill

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

I don't follow golf other than as an extremely uninterested observer but I like Rory McElroy. Eldrick was on GMA last week shilling his new video game and I could have sworn he's had a hair transplant or a nice toupee made for himself?
    No, that was the Honda Classic, which is basiclaly the El Rancho Open compared to the sterner tests at Bay Hill and Doral's Blue Monster. At the same time, the Honda Classic was only about 30 minutes from his home on Jupiter Island, and he probably needed the reps.

sage