Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

2012 Final Four Thread: Kentucky vs Kansas

Use this thread to discuss the week leading up to the Final Four. I will put up a pre and in-game thread for each game later in the week.
    Congrats to our guy Greg Paulus!

Surprised that Kentucky Louisville is the first game. I get that Kansas OSU should be more competitive but it seems to me that Kentucky is the marquee team in the final four. I guess they think they'll get to see Kentucky Monday night too.

And I didn't even originally mention Pitino vs. Calipari is more intriguing than Self vs. Matta.
    Last edited by 1 24 90; 03-25-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Surprised that Kentucky Louisville is the first game. I get that Kansas OSU should be more competitive but it seems to me that Kentucky is the marquee team in the final four. I guess they think they'll get to see Kentucky Monday night too.
    OSU/KU is a much broader regional appeal, which is why i'd guess it's the second game
    April 1

Please. UK vs. UL. If that's not the second biggest rivalry in college basketball, what is? The superdome will be like half full for kansas/tosu.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Please. UK vs. UL. If that's not the second biggest rivalry in college basketball, what is? The superdome will be like half full for kansas/tosu.
    thus people will watch UL/UK anyway...meaning the evening slot is for the game that will likely actually benefit from being in the evening slot....i guess i mean the ratings delta of UL/UK between the afternoon/evening slot is less than the delta of osu/ku...so they get more overall viewers with this setup
    April 1

That's not how it works. You don't put American Idol on at 4 am because you know people will just watch primetime teevee anyway.

Louisville has no business staying in this game. They're just overmatched at every position. And despite that, I'm sure Pitino will make it a game.

UK just has so many weapons, so much length and athleticism, so many capable ballhandlers, and perhaps just enough shooting that I really wonder if any of the remaining teams can beat them. They have to be the heavy favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    That's not how it works. You don't put American Idol on at 4 am because you know people will just watch primetime teevee anyway.
    we're talking about 6pm and 9pm....of course there's a point of diminishing returns...
    April 1

Kentucky handles the 'ville. OSU gets revenge on KU. Kentucky cuts down the nets Monday night

Kentucky native Mark Bradley of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution puts in perspective for us the fear and loathing with which Cats fans approach playing Louisville and Pitino

In the mind of Kentucky fans, there could be no greater indignity than the thought of these mighty Wildcats arriving at the 2012 Final Four and being undone not just by Louisville but by a Louisville team coached by Rick Pitino. It would be worse than Christian Laettner undoing the Unforgettables as coached by Pitino. It would be …

It would be like Laettner’s school (Duke) losing to North Carolina in the Final Four — with Mike Krzyzewski coaching the Tar Heels.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-bl...k_bradley_blog

Fortunately, none of the 1 'n done Cats have a sense of history (or take history for that matter). Pitino's a better coach and motivator. We'll see.

Currently, Kansas is my second favorite team, but Louisville could easily move into that spot with a win.

Quote Originally Posted by LSanders View Post
    Fortunately, none of the 1 'n done Cats have a sense of history (or take history for that matter).
    Or can spell history btw.
    Whatevs, ky tags home next Monday night.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Or can spell history btw.
    Whatevs, ky tags home next Monday night.
    And the NCAA investigation starts Tuesday

Louisville is slightly over-matched, but I don't think they are completely outclassed. They fought hard against UK in the annual rivalry game on Dec. 31. They managed to hold the Wildcats to slightly under 30% shooting, overall, but lost because they didn't shoot much better (32%) and got trounced on the boards 28-49. Louisville has KenPom's top-ranked defense and, if they are able to force UK into a similarly poor shooting performance, grab a few more boards than last time, and hit a few more shots, they definitely have a chance to pull off the upset. On the other hand, if the Wildcats can hit at a decent clip from three point range (which is no guarantee), then I think UK's superior offense and strong defense will be too much combined for the Cardinals.

I agree with those who say that this game is maybe second only to a Duke/UNC Final Four matchup, though, in terms of rivalry implications . . . and with Pitino coaching Louisville! Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Louisville is slightly over-matched, but I don't think they are completely outclassed. They fought hard against UK in the annual rivalry game on Dec. 31. They managed to hold the Wildcats to slightly under 30% shooting, overall, but lost because they didn't shoot much better (32%) and got trounced on the boards 28-49. Louisville has KenPom's top-ranked defense and, if they are able to force UK into a similarly poor shooting performance, grab a few more boards than last time, and hit a few more shots, they definitely have a chance to pull off the upset. On the other hand, if the Wildcats can hit at a decent clip from three point range (which is no guarantee), then I think UK's superior offense and strong defense will be too much combined for the Cardinals.

I agree with those who say that this game is maybe second only to a Duke/UNC Final Four matchup, though, in terms of rivalry implications . . . and with Pitino coaching Louisville! Wow.
    The problem for Louisville is that the rebound margin isn't an anomaly. They play much smaller than UK (especially on the wings). They'll need to force turnovers and hit shots at a high rate to win, because UK is more talented at every spot on the floor. UK has MUCH more margin for error than Louisville, whose offense is generally offensive.

Louisville can win, but they have no business doing so. If UK comes to play and hits some shots, they'll win.

The Pressure

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but I don't recall a Final Four game ever in which the pressure was so much more on one team, and one coach, than where it will be on Saturday. The pressure on Kentucky and Calipari will just be immense. Why?

First of all, he's got the best team, by a lot. That team has a star at every position. They fit together perfectly as a unit. Thier top two players may be the two best players in the nation. They also have a senior sharpshooter coming off the bench. And a freshman one too, plus a few other bodies. They have all the bases covered. And if you saw their game against Baylor, they are peaking right now. They blew Baylor's doors off.

Second, he's never won it. He's had other excellent teams, including last year's, that many thought would go the distance, and he hasn't done it. If he fails with this team, this perfect team, the howls of "can't win the big one" will get a lot louder.

Third, the path to the championship has been cleared, or at least cleared as much as it reasonably could be. They're playing a 4-seed in the Final Four, when it could've been Michigan State or Missouri. In the finals, the only team that approaches UK in talent -- Carolina-- only with experience and coaching, got knocked out, so UK obviously doesn't have to face the one team that many thought was its equal or even its superior.

Fourth, it's Louisville. Hated in-state rival who UK looks at as a little brother. Would be humiliating to lose to them on the biggest stage.

Fifth, this is a good Louisville team, but what were they, 7th or something in the Big East?

Sixth, it's Rick Pitino. (this belongs higher on the list) Former UK coach. Former UK coach who DID win the big one, and then had the audacity to come back to college hoops and coach UK's biggest rival. Oh, and he's also Calipari's mentor, with whom his relationship is said to be a little . . . frosty.

Come Saturday afternoon, (or maybe it's started already) I think Calipari is going to be pooping the seat of his Armani suit.

Quite a game goin' on. I'm still doubtful Pitino's kids can pull it off, but they're keeping it interesting.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Quite a game goin' on. I'm still doubtful Pitino's kids can pull it off, but they're keeping it interesting.

-jk
    Seems like Kentucky has an answer for any challenge or run Louisville makes, but if the Cardinals can keep it close down to the 5-6 minute mark, Kentucky's collars are going to get awfully tight.

Ul uk

good half for the Cardinals in the orange unis . If they quit making so many dumb turnovers they may have a chance. Defensive intensity like I wish the Devils would play on both ends.

Louisville always surprises me how they hang around and then make a game of it at the end. Now watch UK prove me wrong in the second half. They have a lot of weapons. However, I am rooting for Louisville and against Calimari.