Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 230
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Very happy to see tears flowing down the cheeks of Tarheel Fans. Hopefully military personnel in North Carolina will give Representative Brad Miller verbal hell Monday morning. For his tasteless joke about rooting for the Taliban if it was against Duke!

    Maybe we can get you a sense of humor for Christmas.

  2. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Tar heel fans have constantly derided Duke this year as merely a "live by the 3, die by the 3" team - what sweet irony that the Heels died by the three. 2 of 17 for 11.8% - ouch!
    That's a great point. Can I steal that and post it on Facebook?

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Well, I'm an alumnus of 1989 so the "regular season title" was not recognized in my years either. But I think the very next year or two it started, so it's been recognized for over 20 years by now. It counts.

    I take your point about the unbalanced schedule, but to me, UNC clearly had the better year in every respect:

    Head to head we split, but our one win was on a last second shot; they blew us out in Cameron.
    They finished a game ahead of us in the ACC standings, largely because they went 2-0 vs. Miami and we went 0-1.
    They went 2-1 in the ACCT; we went 1-1
    They went 3-1 in the NCAAT; we went 0-1
    They won 32 games to our 27 (yes we had a tougher OOC schedule, but better to win them)

    If we played better and our results more closely mirrored Carolina's this year, then I think we could justify dissecting the unbalanced schedule to figure out how to break the tie. But I think the unbalanced schedule is irrelevant considering the above difference in results.

    I wish it were otherwise, but to me, we have to face facts and admit we were, on the whole, bested this year by them. As someone noted, all the more reason to redouble efforts next year.
    But the thing is....by next year, or 2 years down the road, nobody will remember anything other than we split with UNC, neither team won the natty, and rivers' shot....10 years down the road nobody is going to say "but they won a few more games overall"
    usa

  4. #84
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Well, I'm an alumnus of 1989 so the "regular season title" was not recognized in my years either. But I think the very next year or two it started, so it's been recognized for over 20 years by now. It counts.

    I take your point about the unbalanced schedule, but to me, UNC clearly had the better year in every respect:

    Head to head we split, but our one win was on a last second shot; they blew us out in Cameron.
    They finished a game ahead of us in the ACC standings, largely because they went 2-0 vs. Miami and we went 0-1.
    They went 2-1 in the ACCT; we went 1-1
    They went 3-1 in the NCAAT; we went 0-1
    They won 32 games to our 27 (yes we had a tougher OOC schedule, but better to win them)

    If we played better and our results more closely mirrored Carolina's this year, then I think we could justify dissecting the unbalanced schedule to figure out how to break the tie. But I think the unbalanced schedule is irrelevant considering the above difference in results.

    I wish it were otherwise, but to me, we have to face facts and admit we were, on the whole, bested this year by them. As someone noted, all the more reason to redouble efforts next year.
    We did best them in one area though, Duke had more quality wins than UNC. Even their 3 NCAA tourney wins were all against unranked teams. In their first game in the tourney against a ranked team (today) they lost. No sympathy from me on the injuries either. I was told last year that injuries were just part of the game, and deal with it. Ok. I am fine with that approach.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-25-2012 at 08:51 PM.

    Congrats to Captains Amile Jefferson & Quinn Cook. Go lead this team to nets and hardware fellas!

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Roy is still a great recruiter even if he is not that great an in game coach. He is deep at most positions. It's the two PG position injuries that finally got him. Now he knows what we have gone through this season without a star D1 point guard.

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    In your attic
    Quote Originally Posted by cruxer View Post
    and the one ring remains hidden from Sauron for yet another year, but we must stay ever vigilant and redouble our efforts next season!

    -c
    One does not simply walk in to St. Louis and beat Kansas!

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I thought UNC played remarkably well without Marshall. Part of the closeness was some boneheaded play by KU (anyone see Young's pulling guard pick on White?), but UNC deserves some credit.

    Zeller was great and McAdoo looked really good, like a young Worthy. Barnes had a good first half, but really has his limitations. I'm guessing he leaves UNC with fewer NCAA titles than Lance Thomas.
    And will even if he stays two more years.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post

    Now we wait to see who comes back. We return Marshall and McAdoo and we will be okay. We return three of the four and we'll be very good. We may both be looking up at NCSU in the standings.
    I think it's possible everyone will, how crazy is that? Though I'm thinking Barnes will be back along with James Michael and Kendall. So UNC will still be the top dog.

    In one way, it's almost been a blessing in disguise that Barnes chose the heels over Duke. If he were a Blue Devil producing the same numbers we would be hearing about another over-hyped Duke bust that K won't develop. Ofcourse Roy won't get that kind of feedback. Just further proves my long standing argument that players themselves are ultimately the ones that produce players. I think Barnes played himself right out of the lottery this past week.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    Maybe we can get you a sense of humor for Christmas.
    Well, include me in that if you like, and many others who thought Congressman Miller's comment was stupid and out-of-line.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boca Grande Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Every point here looks about right to me. I do want to acknowledge that you have pointed out for some weeks, and maybe all season, that UNC just can't hit the 3s. I wasn't persuaded, as I was fooled by how smooth Barnes and Bullock look when they shoot it. Hairston, I don't know. In this regard, losing MCDonald didn't help, either.

    So injuries - lots of injuries, not really fair - finally took the toll: no Strickland as PG and D, no McDonald, and especially no Marshall. And your point re Henson is spot on, as well. Henson was hurting today, obviously. Only 1 block. Tentative.

    Barnes is a mystery. For one described by Roy at beginning of last season as the most driven player he'd ever seen, well, something happened. Barnes certainly looks passive, frequently. Mystery.

    I thought at beginning of this season that McAdoo was 2d best frosh, after Anthony Davis. MK-G at UK maybe is 2d, but McAdoo is next great Heel, if he stays.

    Heels could lose 4 to early entry, or none. I'll predict none, or maybe one. I'd think Marshall wants his chance, and McAdoo, whose stock has skyrocketed [Charles Barkley said repeatedly he's the Heels' best player] will stay. Henson? No clue. Barnes has a tough decision, as he might improve his lottery spot if he gets a handle; but he could slide if he stays and doesn't prove to be consistent, better handle, D, rebounder, more aggressiveness.

    Heels could be overwhelming #1 preseason. If at least 2 of the 4 stay, top 3-4 preseason.
    I've been on the fence regarding Barnes since he got to UNC, and agree he's a mystery.

    I like his game for his size, but I've never been sold on his NBA prospects like all the media talk. You guys will note I've never been gushing about his NBA possibilities, like I have for Henson since day one, for instance. I've just sort of stayed quiet and observed, because I've really just been unsure what to think of his game.

    He has a feathery shot, but everything else is average to me. He can go first round, but I doubt he's in the lottery after his play this season. Mid first round. There is a good chance he stays, I think.

    Zeller is a solid 12 year NBA player and should go late lottery, IMO.

    Henson's emerging face up game. Has him in the top 5 should he decide to leave. Big decision coming for him.

    McAdoo has helped himself get into the lottery based on the potential everyone sees. Big decision for him too. My sense is he will stay and be the man next season. It would really make him better, but would never fault him for going lottery.

    Marshall is mid to late first round. He stays unless some team with a big need at point really makes a push for him and moves him way up.

    Will be interesting to see how the spring unfolds, for sure.
    Wheat/"/"/"
    "An angry man catches no fish"-Zen proverb.

  11. #91
    Barnes will be a better NBA player than a college player.

    With the post clogged by Henson and Zeller and given the slow pace of the college game (even for teams that like to run) compared to the NBA, Barnes turns into mostly a jump shooter. Even when they give him the ball to post up his man Zeller and Henson can't really pull their defenders out of the paint. Given a higher paced game and NBA style offense, Barnes will be more effective.

  12. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That's a great point. Can I steal that and post it on Facebook?
    I hereby grant you an unrestricted license to rub it into their faces at every opportunity.

  13. #93
    This might be the BEST post title EVER.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I think we've been through this about a million times. Both the ACC regular season and ACC tournament winners are recognized by the league. The latter is the ACC Champion and the former is the ACC Regular Season Champion. Very hard for me to believe we wouldn't count as a feather in our cap a regular season championship if the shoe were on the other foot.
    Of course it would count as a feather. This is a rivalry not logic. Just havin fun.

  15. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Roy was referring to the fact that, in order the protect the future "Air Barnes" brand, Nike is providing him with an around-the-clock chauffeur service. Barnes is the most driven player Roy's ever had simply because he never walks anywhere.
    Ah, ok, that would explain it. This certainly makes more sense than Barnes's strangely disinterested, and often uninteresting, game.

  16. #96
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I count 10 returning players - if all 4 of McAdoo, Marshall, Henson, and Barnes return - and 4 recruits coming in, so that would be 1 over. But one of the 10 returnees is Jackson Simmons, and I'm uncertain of his scholarship status. I assume White's departure for his mission means his scholarship is available. But I bet other posters are more informed on this stuff than I.
    I count 15: Marshall, Strickland, McDonald, Hairston, Bullock, Barnes, Paige, Takoto, McAdoo, Hubert, James, Johnson, Henson, Simmons, White. Now I don't know what White's status is (redshirts count against your scholarship count - not sure how Mormon missions count). And Simmons could theoretically be relieved of his scholarship for a year. But that's still 13 even without those two guys.

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Roy is still a great recruiter even if he is not that great an in game coach. He is deep at most positions. It's the two PG position injuries that finally got him. Now he knows what we have gone through this season without a star D1 point guard.
    Sigh, there is no such animal. There are records, school standing, national exposure, perceived minutes available ( who a player is competing against for his spot ), program reputation, etc. etc. but there is no such thing as a "good recruiter".
    No such thing as a silver tongued devil that is able to hypnotize young recruits into a poor program with a poor record and poor reputation. Doesn't happen.... ever.
    A school, ANY school, gets top recruits based on record and program, not on a coach waving a gold watch in their face while chanting " You will play for ........... ".

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    Barnes will be a better NBA player than a college player.

    I wonder about Barnes in the NBA. What's his position? I assume he will be a three, but I don't think either his size or athleticism are above average for an NBA three. Not to say I don't think he will make the NBA, but I think he will have to become a much more consistent shooter and driver if he wants to be more than just another NBA player. And if you watch much NBA, you know that NBA defense, particularly once the playoffs start, is often ferocious in a way I've never seen out of him. Has he really improved much over last year? I think a lot of college fans don't watch much NBA, and don't understand just how much higher the level of play is.

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I count 16: Marshall, Strickland, McDonald, Hairston, Bullock, Barnes, Paige, Takoto, McAdoo, Hubert, James, Johnson, Henson, James, Simmons, White. Now I don't know what White's status is (redshirts count against your scholarship count - not sure how Mormon missions count). And Simmons could theoretically be relieved of his scholarship for a year. But that's still 14 even without those two guys.
    I know that White will be gone for 2 years on his mission trip .

  20. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    I know that White will be gone for 2 years on his mission trip .
    I know. That's why I said I'm unsure what the rules are regarding mission trips.

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Final Four Thread: Kentucky vs Kansas
    By Newton_14 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
  2. Midwest/St. Louis region discussion (uncch #1)
    By hurleyfor3 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 223
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 07:11 PM
  3. WBB Region Final: Baylor 51, Duke 48
    By pfrduke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 127
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 10:43 PM
  4. MBB: Midwest Regional Discussion (Kansas #1 Seed)
    By Troublemaker in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 12:04 PM
  5. March Madness conversation: MIDWEST Region
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-25-2008, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •