Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Heels could be overwhelming #1 preseason. If at least 2 of the 4 stay, top 3-4 preseason.
    I believe if you count scholarships 2 of the underclassmen have to leave or someone loses a scholarship.

Heels could be overwhelming #1 preseason. If at least 2 of the 4 stay, top 3-4 preseason.
    I think the focus here should be on celebrating the loss not worrying about bad things that could happen in the future. Keep it positive! Whooo Hoooo! Thanks KU!

Deep Thoughts on HB40

The following is quote originally posted by CDU:

"I think the injury to Marshall has really exposed the limitations in Barnes' game. I sort of wonder if that will affect his draft stock and cause him to return. Meanwhile, I kind of feel like Marshall's stock has to go up.

It's going to be an interesting next several weeks here in the Triangle as we find out who is staying and who is going.[/QUOTE]

I could easily see a situation where Barnes returns, especially if he receives feedback from the scouts/execs telling him he would be drafted behind Marshall and/or J.M.M. I don't think his ego could take it. "I'm returning to UNC to complete my Legacy of Excellence" sounds like something we may hear in a couple of weeks.

I also believe being told he would be drafted behind Kyrie in last year's draft is what prevented him from leaving last year. His ego probably kept him from coming to Duke in the first place. Remember, he was the BMOC coming to "save" Duke long before Kyrie became KYRIE.

JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Spot on analysis there CDu. It is amazing really. Without Marshall, Barnes looks very average. A UNC guy at work, bet me lunch tomorrow, that Barnes would have 25+ points starting against Ohio, and carry them at least to the Final Four. I am going over the menu choices now.

Barnes is a great mystery. As of now, Bullock has forged ahead as the better player, even with the bum knee. Agree on the interest in the next few weeks. Henson and McAdoo may both go, Barnes possibly stays, and Marshall is the wild card, especially with the injury.
    If Barnes stays he is crazy. He might play himself right out of the first round once everyone realizes he has already peaked.

not counting the pre-unc hype, i'd say that he's pretty close to the 2nd round now..
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    not counting the pre-unc hype, i'd say that he's pretty close to the 2nd round now..
    Hey, at least he racks up the pre-season all americans with the best of 'em
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    The following is quote originally posted by CDU:

"I'm returning to UNC to complete my Legacy of Excellence" sounds like something we may hear in a couple of weeks.

Tweeted, of course.

first - yay! evil empire gone.

second - no matter who stays, at least zeller is gone. whew. That dude is truly awesome. 20/22 against ohio to save UNC. That guy is / was a killer. One of the Tarheels I couldnt' hate - just does is business and kills you.

Quote Originally Posted by howardlander View Post
    Technically I know you are right. But as a reasonably old alumni (Class of 1981), the reality is that the regular season title just has never been NEARLY as important as the tournament to me. I felt that way when everyone played the same schedule. Now with the unbalanced schedule, the league can say what it wants, but unless someone goes 15 - 1 or 16 - 0, I'm just not that impressed. This year is a classic example. Carolina lost by 33 at FSU, but didn't have to face them in Chapel Hill. Duke lost to them at home on a buzzer beater at the end of each half and won in Tallahassee. So which is more impressive?

Howard
    Well, I'm an alumnus of 1989 so the "regular season title" was not recognized in my years either. But I think the very next year or two it started, so it's been recognized for over 20 years by now. It counts.

I take your point about the unbalanced schedule, but to me, UNC clearly had the better year in every respect:

Head to head we split, but our one win was on a last second shot; they blew us out in Cameron.
    They finished a game ahead of us in the ACC standings, largely because they went 2-0 vs. Miami and we went 0-1.
    They went 2-1 in the ACCT; we went 1-1
    They went 3-1 in the NCAAT; we went 0-1
    They won 32 games to our 27 (yes we had a tougher OOC schedule, but better to win them)

If we played better and our results more closely mirrored Carolina's this year, then I think we could justify dissecting the unbalanced schedule to figure out how to break the tie. But I think the unbalanced schedule is irrelevant considering the above difference in results.

I wish it were otherwise, but to me, we have to face facts and admit we were, on the whole, bested this year by them. As someone noted, all the more reason to redouble efforts next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    KS made the big plays when the game was on the line in the last 4 mins to earn the win in a hard fought game.

I thought the keys that decided the game were KS being strong on the boards, and UNC's inability to create and shoot from the outside, a problem they never solved all season and it caught up with them.

I also thought that Henson was playing soft and settling for too many jumpers the whole game because of his injuries. Defensively he didn't get inside and mix it up on the boards like he usually does. That hurt.

KS was just too good for UNC to win without being at full strength, and maybe even if UNC was healthy.

All in all the team competed hard through some serious adversity, great job from Roy this season keeping the team moving forward to the elite 8 with all the injuries.
    A disappointing end to the season, although I am not disappointed in the team. I thought they fought hard given the adversity they faced.

I agree with everything Wheat said. To win this one, we had to avoid letting our weaknesses come into play, opposing guard penetration and outside shooting. Their guards killed us. White performed better than I anticipated at the offensive end (save the last five minutes), but was killed on the defensive end. It seemed like KU was practically starting their offense from five feet inside the arc. And our outside shooting was woeful.

As for Barnes, of course he would have played better with Marshall, but his struggles started a few weeks ago, so I don't think it all can be attributed to KM's injury. He lost his shot, started pressing, and my guess is that his confidence went off a cliff. In any case, he was the one who could have possibly carried us to the FF and he couldn't pull it off. No one is more aware of that right now than he.

Now we wait to see who comes back. We return Marshall and McAdoo and we will be okay. We return three of the four and we'll be very good. We may both be looking up at NCSU in the standings.

Tough break for UNC not having Marshall. With him I think they are in the Final 4. But you won't see me crying over the fact they lost

How about Zeller tipping in one of KU's baskets? I laughed so hard. Glad he is done, kid could straight ball in the post

I don't read UNC message boards but Harrison Barnes must be getting blasted. What a choke job he was

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Well, the worst possible tournament outcome has been avoided.
    The worst possible tournament outcome occurred on Mar 16 when we lost to Lehigh.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Kentucky fans are basically UNC fans (and you are right about them being horrible - for the most part there are a very small percentage of individual exceptions).

Very happy too see UNC@CH properly evicted and now that they are gone, I'd like to see UK lose. Before UNC@CH lost I wanted UK to keep winning to prevent the worst case scenario.
    HA! Great minds think alike! I was pulling for the higher seed in every game until the Heels finally went down. I hated pulling against NC State, but there is just no way I wanted to see State as the barrier between UNC and the Final Four. (Though State beating UNC today would have been a very interesting scenario. IC would have crashed beyond repair).

Now that the evil empire is just another one of the 67 losers, I can pull for teams I would like to see win or against UK. Go Louisville, and Go Ohio St (Paulus).

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Yet to be vacated, I suppose. Sometimes the wheels of justice turn slowly.
    Once he leaves Kentucky it will be I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    The worst possible tournament outcome occurred on Mar 16 when we lost to Lehigh.
    Sorry but our loss to Lehigh coupled with UNC@CH winning the NC is MUCH worse than us losing to Lehigh and UNC@CH losing to KU.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    HA! Great minds think alike! I was pulling for the higher seed in every game until the Heels finally went down. I hated pulling against NC State, but there is just no way I wanted to see State as the barrier between UNC and the Final Four. (Though State beating UNC today would have been a very interesting scenario. IC would have crashed beyond repair).

Now that the evil empire is just another one of the 67 losers, I can pull for teams I would like to see win or against UK. Go Louisville, and Go Ohio St (Paulus).
    Exactly! It reminds of 2009 when the only team I thought that could be UNC was UCON and they somehow lost to MSU who had a snowballs chance of winning. Didn't even bother to watch the following Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Well, I'm an alumnus of 1989 so the "regular season title" was not recognized in my years either. But I think the very next year or two it started, so it's been recognized for over 20 years by now. It counts.

I take your point about the unbalanced schedule, but to me, UNC clearly had the better year in every respect:

Head to head we split, but our one win was on a last second shot; they blew us out in Cameron.
    They finished a game ahead of us in the ACC standings, largely because they went 2-0 vs. Miami and we went 0-1.
    They went 2-1 in the ACCT; we went 1-1
    They went 3-1 in the NCAAT; we went 0-1
    They won 32 games to our 27 (yes we had a tougher OOC schedule, but better to win them)

If we played better and our results more closely mirrored Carolina's this year, then I think we could justify dissecting the unbalanced schedule to figure out how to break the tie. But I think the unbalanced schedule is irrelevant considering the above difference in results.

I wish it were otherwise, but to me, we have to face facts and admit we were, on the whole, bested this year by them. As someone noted, all the more reason to redouble efforts next year.
    Oh, I agree with you on that point. Don't get me wrong, I do think they had a better year than Duke did. But I was just responding to the idea of a UNC championship. To me, the last championship Carolina won was the National championship in 09. They did finish a game ahead in the ACC standings and that's important because it's always more fun to watch your team win. But basketball at both the collegiate and NBA level is a tournament sport. Here's an example: Who had the best record in the NBA last year? I'm an NBA fan, and I don't know off the top of my head. But I know who won the title...

Howard

White with 7 assists and zero turnovers: Ironically, it was Marshall's 3-pt shooting that was missed the most.

Teams in the last month have been doubling Zeller and daring Marshall to beat them with wide open threes. Marshall has hit those shots and UNC won.

White was 0-3 from three and decided not to even attempt more.

And of course Barnes was 0-5 from three point land.

And Bullock was 1-5 from three.

Tar heel fans have constantly derided Duke this year as merely a "live by the 3, die by the 3" team - what sweet irony that the Heels died by the three. 2 of 17 for 11.8% - ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    I believe if you count scholarships 2 of the underclassmen have to leave or someone loses a scholarship.
    I count 10 returning players - if all 4 of McAdoo, Marshall, Henson, and Barnes return - and 4 recruits coming in, so that would be 1 over. But one of the 10 returnees is Jackson Simmons, and I'm uncertain of his scholarship status. I assume White's departure for his mission means his scholarship is available. But I bet other posters are more informed on this stuff than I.

Unraveling the mystery

Barnes is a mystery. For one described by Roy at beginning of last season as the most driven player he'd ever seen, well, something happened. Barnes certainly looks passive, frequently. Mystery.
    Roy was referring to the fact that, in order the protect the future "Air Barnes" brand, Nike is providing him with an around-the-clock chauffeur service. Barnes is the most driven player Roy's ever had simply because he never walks anywhere.