Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    It's his 2nd. They went last year by beating Carolina.
    My bad. I forgot about that one.

Quote Originally Posted by robobevan View Post
    They did not win an ACC title. Regular season does not crown the champion. Otherwise all good points.
    I think we've been through this about a million times. Both the ACC regular season and ACC tournament winners are recognized by the league. The latter is the ACC Champion and the former is the ACC Regular Season Champion. Very hard for me to believe we wouldn't count as a feather in our cap a regular season championship if the shoe were on the other foot.

Fantastic.

FANTASTIC.

Just shows how valuable Kendall Marshall is/was to UNC. White played about as well as could possibly be expected for the first 30+ minutes. But down the stretch, he just looked overwhelmed. Kansas switched defenses on him and he just looked lost. And defensively, Taylor and Johnson felt very comfortable against him. A healthy Marshall changes that game for them. He sees the court and creates opportunities. Without him, they looked stagnant in the second half.

Kansas is a very undisciplined team, and I think UNC did a good job taking advantage of that in the first half. But when Kansas finally put the clamps on in the second half, UNC just couldn't score. It was strange to see Zeller and Henson resigned to setting high screens, but that's what they were doing late in the game once Kansas took away the entry passes. Great job by Self to take advantage of the playmaking liabilities late in that game.

I think the injury to Marshall has really exposed the limitations in Barnes' game. I sort of wonder if that will affect his draft stock and cause him to return. Meanwhile, I kind of feel like Marshall's stock has to go up.

It's going to be an interesting next several weeks here in the Triangle as we find out who is staying and who is going.

I'm elated. Feel like Duke just won number 5.

I'm telling you, getting through that recruiting cycle without a championship is HUGE. I'm so happy I never have to see Tyler Zeller in a UNC uniform again.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Kentucky fans are horrible. However this UK team plays great basketball and I truly doubt they will not cut down the nets. Like him or not Calipari is a very good coach. Pitino is another great coach and may slow the game down so much it might disrupt UK's march to the championship.
    To my surprise, Louisville has the #1 defensive efficiency in kenpom.com's ratings. So while I think UK has a better chance than any of the other 3 teams, I (too) wouldn't say it's a foregone conclusion they'll even reach the title game. Defense is often thought to be more steady than offense, so they have a real chance to take them out.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Stillman White acquitted himself much better this game, but they REALLY missed Marshall.
    Felt like the first round draft picks on White's team didn't want to shoot towards the end of that game.

Actually

I thought UNC played remarkably well without Marshall. Part of the closeness was some boneheaded play by KU (anyone see Young's pulling guard pick on White?), but UNC deserves some credit.

Zeller was great and McAdoo looked really good, like a young Worthy. Barnes had a good first half, but really has his limitations. I'm guessing he leaves UNC with fewer NCAA titles than Lance Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think the injury to Marshall has really exposed the limitations in Barnes' game. I sort of wonder if that will affect his draft stock and cause him to return. Meanwhile, I kind of feel like Marshall's stock has to go up.
    Last year after every game I had to listen to heel fans go, "Cha Ching, Cha Ching. That's the sound of Kyle's draft stock dropping". What's that saying about turnabout?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyalBlue08 View Post
    So Duke/UNC split the season series, neither won the ACC tournament, and neither made the Final Four. I'm calling this season a tie! Bring on 2013!
    Well, that's one way to look at it, Dr. Pangloss. Just don't spend time adding up the scores of the 2 games, don't compare the season or post-season records etc. Have you considered a job in public relations?

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Just shows how valuable Kendall Marshall is/was to UNC. White played about as well as could possibly be expected for the first 30+ minutes. But down the stretch, he just looked overwhelmed. Kansas switched defenses on him and he just looked lost. And defensively, Taylor and Johnson felt very comfortable against him. A healthy Marshall changes that game for them. He sees the court and creates opportunities. Without him, they looked stagnant in the second half.

Kansas is a very undisciplined team, and I think UNC did a good job taking advantage of that in the first half. But when Kansas finally put the clamps on in the second half, UNC just couldn't score. It was strange to see Zeller and Henson resigned to setting high screens, but that's what they were doing late in the game once Kansas took away the entry passes. Great job by Self to take advantage of the playmaking liabilities late in that game.

It's going to be an interesting next several weeks here in the Triangle as we find out who is staying and who is going.
    Spot on analysis there CDu. It is amazing really. Without Marshall, Barnes looks very average. A UNC guy at work, bet me lunch tomorrow, that Barnes would have 25+ points starting against Ohio, and carry them at least to the Final Four. I am going over the menu choices now.

Barnes is a great mystery. As of now, Bullock has forged ahead as the better player, even with the bum knee. Agree on the interest in the next few weeks. Henson and McAdoo may both go, Barnes possibly stays, and Marshall is the wild card, especially with the injury.

So Duke/UNC split the season series, neither won the ACC tournament, and neither made the Final Four. I'm calling this season a tie! Bring on 2013!
    You are one of the few that would methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I think we've been through this about a million times. Both the ACC regular season and ACC tournament winners are recognized by the league. The latter is the ACC Champion and the former is the ACC Regular Season Champion. Very hard for me to believe we wouldn't count as a feather in our cap a regular season championship if the shoe were on the other foot.
    Technically I know you are right. But as a reasonably old alumni (Class of 1981), the reality is that the regular season title just has never been NEARLY as important as the tournament to me. I felt that way when everyone played the same schedule. Now with the unbalanced schedule, the league can say what it wants, but unless someone goes 15 - 1 or 16 - 0, I'm just not that impressed. This year is a classic example. Carolina lost by 33 at FSU, but didn't have to face them in Chapel Hill. Duke lost to them at home on a buzzer beater at the end of each half and won in Tallahassee. So which is more impressive?

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleDevil View Post
    It's his 2nd. They went last year by beating Carolina.
    Yet to be vacated, I suppose. Sometimes the wheels of justice turn slowly.

You forgot the tie breaker.

We beat Kansas in a tournament, and they knocked Carolina out of another tournament, so we are MUCH better.

That's kind of like penalty kicks in soccer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    KS made the big plays when the game was on the line in the last 4 mins to earn the win in a hard fought game.

I thought the keys that decided the game were KS being strong on the boards, and UNC's inability to create and shoot from the outside, a problem they never solved all season and it caught up with them.

I also thought that Henson was playing soft and settling for too many jumpers the whole game because of his injuries. Defensively he didn't get inside and mix it up on the boards like he usually does. That hurt.

KS was just too good for UNC to win without being at full strength, and maybe even if UNC was healthy.

All in all the team competed hard through some serious adversity, great job from Roy this season keeping the team moving forward to the elite 8 with all the injuries.
    Every point here looks about right to me. I do want to acknowledge that you have pointed out for some weeks, and maybe all season, that UNC just can't hit the 3s. I wasn't persuaded, as I was fooled by how smooth Barnes and Bullock look when they shoot it. Hairston, I don't know. In this regard, losing MCDonald didn't help, either.

So injuries - lots of injuries, not really fair - finally took the toll: no Strickland as PG and D, no McDonald, and especially no Marshall. And your point re Henson is spot on, as well. Henson was hurting today, obviously. Only 1 block. Tentative.

Barnes is a mystery. For one described by Roy at beginning of last season as the most driven player he'd ever seen, well, something happened. Barnes certainly looks passive, frequently. Mystery.

I thought at beginning of this season that McAdoo was 2d best frosh, after Anthony Davis. MK-G at UK maybe is 2d, but McAdoo is next great Heel, if he stays.

Heels could lose 4 to early entry, or none. I'll predict none, or maybe one. I'd think Marshall wants his chance, and McAdoo, whose stock has skyrocketed [Charles Barkley said repeatedly he's the Heels' best player] will stay. Henson? No clue. Barnes has a tough decision, as he might improve his lottery spot if he gets a handle; but he could slide if he stays and doesn't prove to be consistent, better handle, D, rebounder, more aggressiveness.

Heels could be overwhelming #1 preseason. If at least 2 of the 4 stay, top 3-4 preseason.

"ACC title", "ACC Champion" and "ACC tournament champion" are synonymous.

The 2012 ACC title was won by Florida State.

Not sure what the argument is here.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Kentucky fans are horrible.
    Kentucky fans are basically UNC fans (and you are right about them being horrible - for the most part there are a very small percentage of individual exceptions).

Very happy too see UNC@CH properly evicted and now that they are gone, I'd like to see UK lose. Before UNC@CH lost I wanted UK to keep winning to prevent the worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

Heels could be overwhelming #1 preseason.

Kinda like they were this year?

they are devouring the fallen pigeon over on IC...

wonder if he'll skype "the decision"...

his brand took a hit today...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese