Question Couple questions for those who understand IT stuff...

Hey, for anybody that knows what they're doing in the IT world... when I log onto my router, it lists all my usual devices, then says "new-host", "new-host 2", and "new-host 3", saying that the connection type is "bridge" for each. Any idea what these could be? I've tried to think, and I can't figure out any device in my house that it could be. Now, I AM using a range extender, but it's listed on there. Would my wireless devices that use the bridge be listed as these new hosts? They are listed separately by their own names, so I wasn't sure.

Also, my extender makes me run the setup wizard a couple times a day, re-entering my WPA passphrase each time, which is a pain to have to look up every time. What's up with that?

Finally, my router, in my basement, has 45% signal in my kitchen, right above it. There's some other source listed at 100%. How the heck am I getting 100% signal from someone that's not in my home, and only 45% from my own router? Is there some way to up my router's signal?

Thanks.
    Last edited by bjornolf; 03-25-2012 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    Hey, for anybody that knows what they're doing in the IT world... when I log onto my router, it lists all my usual devices, then says "new-host", "new-host 2", and "new-host 3", saying that the connection type is "bridge" for each. Any idea what these could be? I've tried to think, and I can't figure out any device in my house that it could be. Now, I AM using a range extender, but it's listed on there. Would my wireless devices that use the bridge be listed as these new hosts? They are listed separately by their own names, so I wasn't sure.

Also, my extender makes me run the setup wizard a couple times a day, re-entering my WPA passphrase each time, which is a pain to have to look up every time. What's up with that?

Finally, my router, in my basement, has 45% signal in my kitchen, right above it. There's some other source listed at 100%. How the heck am I getting 100% signal from someone that's not in my home, and only 45% from my own router? Is there some way to up my router's signal?

Thanks.
    Depending on your router, you can add higher gain antennas on your router to boost signal strength.
    If you have security turned on, which your comment about WPA reinforces, then the new host devices are likely yours. Check the Mac addresses of the devices in your home against what your router shows.

Your range extender should not be providing dhcp service, but if it is, that may explain the new host designations you are seeing.

Having your router in the basement may be the worst place for it, usually higher floors are better.

Hope this helps.

-g

Is there a good antenna that works with FIOS Actiontec routers? Most sites seem to have very mixed reviews.

If you still need some help after the posts above, would you mind posting a screenshot or two?

I work with routers and switches for a living, but generally higher-end ones, not consumer products.

Is there a good antenna that works with FIOS Actiontec routers? Most sites seem to have very mixed reviews.
    Sorry, I am not familiar with Actiontec, but really what you want to look for is the signal gain, probably a 10dB or greater gain if you can find it. Just be aware that the bigger the gain, its likely the attenna(e) will be bigger as well.

On my old Linksys, the original attennae were probably less than 3 inches tall. Attennae that gave a 7dB gain are probably close to a foot in height. What you gain in signal you will lose in aestetics, but in the basement that probably does not matter.

I'd also suggest looking into powerline networking, it may give you better connectivity. Its not ratified yet but you can get 500Mbps powerline adapters for about $100/pair.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Sorry, I am not familiar with Actiontec, but really what you want to look for is the signal gain, probably a 10dB or greater gain if you can find it. Just be aware that the bigger the gain, its likely the attenna(e) will be bigger as well.

On my old Linksys, the original attennae were probably less than 3 inches tall. Attennae that gave a 7dB gain are probably close to a foot in height. What you gain in signal you will lose in aestetics, but in the basement that probably does not matter.

I'd also suggest looking into powerline networking, it may give you better connectivity. Its not ratified yet but you can get 500Mbps powerline adapters for about $100/pair.
    Actiontec is the brand Verizon uses for most of their FIOS routers.

Actiontec is the brand Verizon uses for most of their FIOS routers.

One final thought- if it is Verizon supplied, and you think it should be working better, ask Verizon to replace it.

Have you accounted for all the wireless and wired devices in your home? Are there any Verizon supplied devices on the network?

Is your range extender just acting as a bridge or is it also a dhcp server?

Have you reset your router to factory defaults and changed the password?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    One final thought- if it is Verizon supplied, and you think it should be working better, ask Verizon to replace it.
    I'd do that in a heartbeat, but we've already replaced it a couple times, and this one's wired connections work fine, which is what my wife needs for work, so that's more important. The extender, which is what's acting weird, was not supplied by Verizon. I bought that at BB.