Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    This lead needs to get down to six by half-time at least for us to have a shot at winning this game. We have not shown the ability to come back, especially against good teams (St. John's doesn't count). Our offense is really sputtering right now. Can't let it affect our defense.

We also can't get a call in the paint. Oh well.

I really hope this remains a close game. To be perfectly honest, just as a fan, I'd rather lose a tight one to stanford than get blown out by Baylor in the Final Four..
    I think the 11-4 rebounding margin and 6-16 shooting are more to blame. Given, you can blame the rebounding deficit on williams being on the bench, but even when she was in, duke wasn't getting any rebounds

I said her being in foul trouble would be the key...
    April 1

rough end to the first half...same thing, rebounding, williams largely ineffective, and can't contain the O sisters

I hope P can come up with some changes at the half, but am unfortunately largely pessimistic :/
    April 1

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    rough end to the first half...same thing, rebounding, williams largely ineffective, and can't contain the O sisters

I hope P can come up with some changes at the half, but am unfortunately largely pessimistic :/
    Unfortunately, I must concur. I had been saying to friends that next year (and the year after) would be the years for this team to really contend for the NC, but the first three games this tourney had my hopes up.

Stanford, which hadn't played a decent team (until SC Saturday) since December, is showing that they really are as good as their record.

Separately, watching the Vols assistant at the post-game press conference was sad, recognizing what this loss probably means for them. And reflects what all of them have had to deal with this year. At the end, we need to remember that they're all human. Some of the things being said over on ESPN, especially about Summitt and more so Griner, are just mean. Reflects what's bad about the internet. (IF you need a reminder, head over to IC sometime.)

OK, we won the first four minutes.

It's a three-possession game with seven minutes left. We're in it.

Dang, what was it, 5 or 6 chances to get the lead down to 6? This game is winnable, but we must hit those easy shots! Other than that, the women have been tough and resilient.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Dang, what was it, 5 or 6 chances to get the lead down to 6? This game is winnable, but we must hit those easy shots! Other than that, the women have been tough and resilient.
    ran outta gas, unfortunately.
    April 1

How did we get to this point?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Unfortunately, I must concur. I had been saying to friends that next year (and the year after) would be the years for this team to really contend for the NC...
    Well, maybe. It's going to be tough to compete for a title without running into an opposing coach with a history of postseason success at some point.

Well dang. Just not quite there, injuries hurt, but its part of the game.

Thanks Shay and Leener.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Well dang. Just not quite there, injuries hurt, but its part of the game.

Thanks Shay and Leener.
    Dealing with those sisters would have been tough, injuries or no. I think what hurt us the most was just getting worn down playing with a short bench against such good teams...its exactly what did uconn in against ND last year...watch out for this team next year...in all seriousness...preseason #3 is my guess, behind baylor and uconn

anyway

stanford has a legitmate chance against baylor...griner hasn't faced bigs like the o sisters all year, they are the best in the country outside her...we'll see
    April 1

stanford has a legitmate chance against baylor...griner hasn't faced bigs like the o sisters all year, they are the best in the country outside her...we'll see
    Not sure about that. If Griner can slow down Nneka at all, it's hard to see how Stanford's filler players can make up the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Not sure about that. If Griner can slow down Nneka at all, it's hard to see how Stanford's filler players can make up the difference.
    Yes. Baylors rest of team is much better...still its hard to say how the Obwumige/griner matchup will go down, since they face worthy big men so rarely
    April 1

Yes. Baylors rest of team is much better...still its hard to say how the Obwumige/griner matchup will go down, since they face worthy big men so rarely
    I know that's not what you meant, but I'm still chuckling...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    OK, we won the first four minutes.
    And we won the final 20 minutes. However, re those other 16 in the middle.... maybe not so much.

I give the ladies credit for fighting back and actually making a game of it, when they could easily have folded. I think that came from having played a tough schedule and being able to fight back. They just seemed a bit initimidated in the first half, so that once the initial adrenalin rush wore off, after about 4-5 minutes, well, we seemed to play tentative. Or, as they said on ESPN, stopped playing our way. The pressure on Shelby in the first half really disrupted our offensive flow, and we didn't recover well. They did show us something in the second half though. Boy, if we coulda just hit one of those shots to take it down to a six point margin, then Stanford maybe tightens up a bit. Who knows.

This group doesn't lose a whole lot going into next season, and actually gets a couple of important pieces back who were were missing toinight, plus a healthy E-Williams... The future looks very bright indeed for Duke WBB.

Great season ladies. NEXT YEAR, we get over this hump and will be playing in the Final Four. I really expect it.

P.S. I liked the interview afterwards of N.O. from Stanford. She's a very well-spoken young lady and it'll be hard not to root for her going against Griner and Baylor next week.

Cool

Duke had a great season.Two key players were lost to injury. Early in season Amber Henson had knee surgery and Richa Jackson tore her ACL and had surgery just recently and did not travel with the team.They only lose Shay Selby and Kathleen Scheer. Henson,Jackson and Chloe Wells return. Chloe Wells was also lost by school infractions. Then they add 3 good prospects. Williams also has to heal a stress fracture in her leg. She is a pre-med so she should rehab very well.

I hope the next 2 or 3 years Duke will be like Stanford and get successive trips to the Final 4. Stanford had Condoleeza Rice and the Stanford Football coach at the game. Attendance was low for being relatively close to Palo Alto. About 3400. There was a small pack of Duke supporters from the ESPNTV camera.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    ...and Chloe Wells return.
    Do we know that Chloe is indeed returning? I hadn't heard anything definitive on that.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Do we know that Chloe is indeed returning? I hadn't heard anything definitive on that.
    From a statement released by Coach P when Chloe was suspended.
    “We love Chloe and she is a valuable member of the Duke women’s basketball family,” McCallie said. “I look forward to her returning to full eligibility for the 2012-13 campaign.”
    http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...rest-of-season
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    From a statement released by Coach P when Chloe was suspended.

http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_s...rest-of-season
    Anything more recent than that? My recollection, which could be faulty, is that someone trustworthy (Jim Sumner?) posted that whether Chloe comes back wasn't Coach P's decision and that no decision had yet been made.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Anything more recent than that? My recollection, which could be faulty, is that someone trustworthy (Jim Sumner?) posted that whether Chloe comes back wasn't Coach P's decision and that no decision had yet been made.
    Well she does have to re-enroll I think. She not only got booted off the team, but out of school entirely, much like Zack Asack with the football team. She has the support of the her team and coaches though, and as talented as she is, if she were planning on going elsewhere we'd have heard about it by now, from either a Duke news outlet or reported by another school.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."