Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    I am on record of favoring actual learning at institutions of higher education, so I am happy when the hammer falls. Realistically, the only way to bring some schools into line is to punish the administration (ie, the president). Now the NCAA already requires that the administration have active oversight of the athletics program, but that is many time a nod and a wink. By banning a team from the possibility of the tournament, the NCAA brings the wrath of the alumni and the Board down upon the president. In turn, the faculty gets excited about all the negativity, again putting pressure on the president.
    My guess is that if the NCAA follows through with this plan (and maybe even toughens it) for a few years, it will have the desired effect.

So Mason is returning. I assume this means Tony Parker will look elsewhere, although he could snap up 20+ minutes a game since Miles' averaged 28. I assume this also means Oriakhi will look elsewhere.

Duke will have Mason and Ryan likely averaging 30+ minutes each at the 4 and 5 next year and will have Marshall picking up the remaining minutes at the 5 and Josh and Alex at the 4.

Are we definitely out with Oriakhi? Does he even come for his visit now?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    So Mason is returning. I assume this means Tony Parker will look elsewhere, although he could snap up 20+ minutes a game since Miles' averaged 28. I assume this also means Oriakhi will look elsewhere.

Duke will have Mason and Ryan likely averaging 30+ minutes each at the 4 and 5 next year and will have Marshall picking up the remaining minutes at the 5 and Josh and Alex at the 4.

Are we definitely out with Oriakhi? Does he even come for his visit now?
    I would think so. I think we are set at 4 and 5 for next year. As much as I hate to say it Carolina is a much better fit for him now. I'd much rather have Parker here getting some experience for the following year when Mason and Ryan are both gone.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I would think so. I think we are set at 4 and 5 for next year. As much as I hate to say it Carolina is a much better fit for him now. I'd much rather have Parker here getting some experience for the following year when Mason and Ryan are both gone.
    Oriakhi to Unc makes good sense for both. It keeps Unc from dropping below third or fourth in conference and having to rely heavily on Desmond Hubert. It gives Oriakhi 25-30 minutes a game at a big time school, even though the uniforms are ugly, the fans obnoxious and the coach squats in a strange manner and hates Haiti. Tradeoffs I suppose.

If Oriakhi gives them half what Zeller did - 8 points, 5 boards in 25 minutes - he'll be a good pickup. He averaged 6.7 and 4.8 last season, as his minutes dropped. In their title season he averaged 9.6 and 8.7 though so you know he's capable of good things. Here's hoping he goes to Mizzou.

I'm praying Noel goes somewhere besides UK at this point, because it would really open the door for Oriakhi there... which would mean no Oriakhi at UNC. Which has become my primary off-season goal now that Mason has returned.

Oriakhi cuts Duke.

Neither surprising nor regrettable.

Duvall beat me to it. Can't say I'm too upset, though. Thankfully we got Mason back so we don't have a huge front-court need anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Oriakhi cuts Duke.

Neither surprising nor regrettable.
    I much prefer Mason to Oriaki

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I much prefer Mason to Oriaki
    Me too. The very thought of a transfer from Ucon leaves an extremely bad taste in my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    Is there a reason why Oriakhi was not recruited by Duke out of high school? He has the body type that I wish Duke would go after every year.
    According to the Scout report- he committed to UConn before his sophomore year in high school. Sounds like he knew where he was going.

I didn't really want Duke to have to deal with his dad anyway:

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2012/4/6...un-to-be-fired

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Ditto!! I could see him being another dad like Chris Humphries who thought he was going to demand playing time for his child, but maybe even worse. Were far better off with the big Mase at the 5 IMO.

Good move for Mason.

If Duke puts more emphasis on getting him the ball in low post scoring position, which I think they will next season, he can reach 1st team All-ACC and improve his draft potential to mid first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post

Maybe he will go to unc where old Roy has had a lot of success working with these kind of parents... the second coming of Larry Drew II?

Apparently Calipari was talking to Oriakhi a lot recently, but I have to think Noel choosing Kentucky ("shock the world" notwithstanding) might get Kentucky knocked off Alex's list almost as fast as Duke was knocked off. For better or worse, UNC might make some sense for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Apparently Calipari was talking to Oriakhi a lot recently, but I have to think Noel choosing Kentucky ("shock the world" notwithstanding) might get Kentucky knocked off Alex's list almost as fast as Duke was knocked off. For better or worse, UNC might make some sense for him.
    I know - man, I'm pissed Noel picked UK. All the talk today was about Georgetown, which was probably intentional on his part.

UNC seems like they'll get Oriakhi by default now, unless The Great Frank Haith can lure him to Mizzou.

If UNC lucks into a Sr. Oriakhi-So. McAdoo frontcourt next season, it will make me mildly sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    I know - man, I'm pissed Noel picked UK. All the talk today was about Georgetown, which was probably intentional on his part.

UNC seems like they'll get Oriakhi by default now, unless The Great Frank Haith can lure him to Mizzou.

If UNC lucks into a Sr. Oriakhi-So. McAdoo frontcourt next season, it will make me mildly sick.
    Well, if unc gets Oriakhi, they get his "attitude" and his father with him and we see how that worked out with the Wears and LDII.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post

It won't matter who is in their frontcourt if they don't have a PG to get them the ball. Don't forget in 2010 they had Henson, Davis, and Zeller but we all remember how that turned out!

Oriakhi to Missouri

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS

UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi just told CBSSports he is headed to Missouri. Story coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS

UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi just told CBSSports he is headed to Missouri. Story coming soon.

Sorry to Roy. Good for Alex.