Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    I don't think Oriakhi would mind splitting minutes w/ Parker or playing beside him or Kelly...I've seen quite a few people on the board misinterpret the reason behind him calling Calhoun an idiot...it was actually in response to someone saying that he should be playing Oriakhi and Drummond together more.
    So how do you explain away his being quoted on calling his mid-season benching "BS" ?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    So how do you explain away his being quoted on calling his mid-season benching "BS" ?
    Big difference between the two situations...If he felt like it was "bs" then oh well...I think its understandable to be pissed about being benched if you feel like you could be contributing and helping the team...these are 19-20 year old kids not robots, he's going to feel some type of way about it....now should he have went to twitter to tell the world...nah

Quote Originally Posted by geraldsneighbor View Post
    I think that there is a fairly decent chance Zeigler is eligible immediately. His father being fired from a school, I think would qualify as a hardship because it'd be pretty uncomfortable for the kid to return and play for the next coach. It isn't like his dad left CMU for another gig, he was fired.
    It's hard to predict what the NCAA will do in any situation. So, like I said in my earlier post, I have no idea how probable it is to be granted the waiver.

Big difference between the two situations...If he felt like it was "bs" then oh well...I think its understandable to be pissed about being benched if you feel like you could be contributing and helping the team...these are 19-20 year old kids not robots, he's going to feel some type of way about it....now should he have went to twitter to tell the world...nah
    Fair enough. As someone who has closely followed this team, I can say that the general perception in CT was that he wasn't happy having to share time. Some of his other quotes in relation to his benching were like "2 year starter and this is how i'm rewarded"...If you want to explain those away, that's fine. Just as someone who follows both duke and uconn closely, I can't imagine that he has the kind of attitude that one would expect of a duke basketball player.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Fair enough. As someone who has closely followed this team, I can say that the general perception in CT was that he wasn't happy having to share time. Some of his other quotes in relation to his benching were like "2 year starter and this is how i'm rewarded"...If you want to explain those away, that's fine. Just as someone who follows both duke and uconn closely, I can't imagine that he has the kind of attitude that one would expect of a duke basketball player.
    Im not explaining anything away...I was just speaking specifically to the calling Calhoun an idiot thing and how I had seen people say the reason was for something rather than what it actually was....I don't know Alex so I can't say much about his attitude.

I don't think Oriakhi would mind splitting minutes w/ Parker or playing beside him or Kelly...I've seen quite a few people on the board misinterpret the reason behind him calling Calhoun an idiot...it was actually in response to someone saying that he should be playing Oriakhi and Drummond together more.
    If Mason goes pro, Oriakhi (immediately eligible) and Parker come to Duke, here's some breakdown of the minutes. (I just loooove breaking down distribution of minutes):

5 - Ryan 30 minutes, Oriakhi 10, Marshall 0
    4 - Parker 20, Josh 15, Alex 5 (plus some minutes at the 3).

I dont see how Oriakhi or Parker signs up for that. I think I'd rather just get one of these two if Mason goes, so we the bench is not too long. Plus it would be better to develop Marshall than not.

Can't find the link right now, but I'm pretty sure this guy isn't considering Duke. Unc-ch is on the short list though.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If Mason goes pro, Oriakhi (immediately eligible) and Parker come to Duke, here's some breakdown of the minutes. (I just loooove breaking down distribution of minutes):

I dont see how Oriakhi or Parker signs up for that. I think I'd rather just get one of these two if Mason goes, so we the bench is not too long. Plus it would be better to develop Marshall than not.
    I don't see Marshall, the tallest guy on the team, a McD's AA, a guy who just spent a year on the bench learning the system, sitting on his butt for next season as well. IF that happens (which it won't), he'll transfer. I would.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I agree that there's no chance we get both Parker and Oriakhi. I'd say that we will have at most one of Mason, Oriakhi, and Parker. That may even expand to mean one of Mason, Oriakhi, Parker, and Jefferson. All of these guys are presumably going to expect an opportunity to play major minutes right away. In Mason's and Oriakhi's cases it's completely understandable; they are seniors who have played major minutes during their careers already. In Parker's and Jefferson's cases it may or may not be an unfounded expectation, but it's probably still an expectation that will drive their decisions.

So you see the 270 lb guy playing PF and Kelly in the post?
    That makes no sense whatsoever. None.
    But probably a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't see Marshall, the tallest guy on the team, a McD's AA, a guy who just spent a year on the bench learning the system, sitting on his butt for next season as well. IF that happens (which it won't), he'll transfer. I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think that was kind of superdave's point. It isn't going to happen. Doesn't really matter how the minutes would be distributed.

That said, I agree that the more accurate minutes distribution in that scenario would be different. Perhaps more like:

C - Oriakhi (20), Parker/Marshall (20)
    PF - Kelly (30), Oriakhi, (5), Murphy (5, with more minutes at SF)

But even then, I don't see Parker signing up for a backup role next year and I don't see Oriakhi going anywhere where he isn't a sure starter. And I agree that if Marshall were to see very minor minutes next year, it would be understandable to ponder a future elsewhere.

So are you ok pushing Ryan Kelly to the 4 and Alex to the 3 which would really kill minutes for Andre Dawkins and Michael Gbinije?

Be careful for what you wish for.

Ryan splitting minutes at the 5 with Marshall makes us a lot more athletic at the 3 and 4, which is what everyone complained we were not this season. Ryan at the 4 means we're going bigger and our wings are getting pinched on minutes.

So are you ok pushing Ryan Kelly to the 4 and Alex to the 3 which would really kill minutes for Andre Dawkins and Michael Gbinije?

Ryan splitting minutes at the 5 with Marshall makes us a lot more athletic at the 3 and 4, which is what everyone complained we were not this season. Ryan at the 4 means we're going bigger and our wings are getting pinched on minutes.
    I think it will depend on matchups.

A lot of games, Kelly at the 5 makes sense. Other games, it might make more sense to put him at the "stretch 4" position.

But what it does is give Duke flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I think it will depend on matchups.

A lot of games, Kelly at the 5 makes sense. Other games, it might make more sense to put him at the "stretch 4" position.

But what it does is give Duke flexibility.
    I would think that Josh Hairston has earned a spot at the grown-up table.

Well, you're really not making ANY sense here, dave. "Pushing" Kelly to the spot he has played all along and is best suited for doesn't seem too shocking. He's an outside shooter with very limited strength, and few post moves.
    Parker is a hulk with inside moves and ability (and perhaps desire) to defend inside.

As far as minutes and Dawkins are concerned, that doesn't have a whole lot to do with Kelly. It has everything to do with Dawkins and how he plays. If he plays with confidence and intensity, he plays regardless of where Kelly is.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I would think that Josh Hairston has earned a spot at the grown-up table.
    Oh, no doubt.

I wasn't leaving him out. Just focusing on the "where Kelly would play" notion.

I can't even fathom a rotation until we know for sure who will be here next year and able to play.

Well, you're really not making ANY sense here, dave. "Pushing" Kelly to the spot he has played all along and is best suited for doesn't seem too shocking. He's an outside shooter with very limited strength, and few post moves.
    Parker is a hulk with inside moves and ability (and perhaps desire) to defend inside.

As far as minutes and Dawkins are concerned, that doesn't have a whole lot to do with Kelly. It has everything to do with Dawkins and how he plays. If he plays with confidence and intensity, he plays regardless of where Kelly is.
    So if Kelly plays the 4 for 30 minutes a game, which is a slight increase over this season, then Josh will play 10 minutes at the 4 while Marshall and some combination of Tony Parker/Alex Oriakhi/Mason Plumlee split the minutes at 5. Is that what you imagine?

Under that scenario, we will split 40 minutes between Alex Murphy, Andre Dawkins and Michael Gbinije at the 3. Do you think those three will be happy?

The 3 is most definitely affected by our depth at the 4 and 5, which is the point I was making. You claim otherwise, but do not provide any explanation to back up that assertion.

So if Kelly plays the 4 for 30 minutes a game, which is a slight increase over this season, then Josh will play 10 minutes at the 4 while Marshall and some combination of Tony Parker/Alex Oriakhi/Mason Plumlee split the minutes at 5. Is that what you imagine?

Under that scenario, we will split 40 minutes between Alex Murphy, Andre Dawkins and Michael Gbinije at the 3. Do you think those three will be happy?
    Well, it would still be an upgrade for Gbinije and Murphy, so maybe they would be okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think that was kind of superdave's point. It isn't going to happen. Doesn't really matter how the minutes would be distributed.

That said, I agree that the more accurate minutes distribution in that scenario would be different. Perhaps more like:

C - Oriakhi (20), Parker/Marshall (20)
    PF - Kelly (30), Oriakhi, (5), Murphy (5, with more minutes at SF)

But even then, I don't see Parker signing up for a backup role next year and I don't see Oriakhi going anywhere where he isn't a sure starter. And I agree that if Marshall were to see very minor minutes next year, it would be understandable to ponder a future elsewhere.
    If Parker wants a guarantee that he is not going to have a backup role, then he is not coming to Duke. Same for Oriakhi or any other recruit for that matter. Coach K would never guarantee anything with respect to playing time. See, Humphries, Kris.

If Mason does leave, I suspect Oriakhi would start for Duke along with Kelly and one of Hairston/Gbinijie/Murphy/Sulaimon. And then Curry and Cook/Thronton in the backcourt.

If Parker came too, he would be competing with MPIII for backup time. If only Parker came, I suspect he would be competing with MPIII for a starting position. I can't see Kelly starting as our "center". Although we've had guys like Brickey, John Smith and even Chris Carrawell start at the "5".
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    If Parker wants a guarantee that he is not going to have a backup role, then he is not coming to Duke. Same for Oriakhi or any other recruit for that matter. Coach K would never guarantee anything with respect to playing time. See, Humphries, Kris.

If Mason does leave, I suspect Oriakhi would start for Duke along with Kelly and one of Hairston/Gbinijie/Murphy/Sulaimon. And then Curry and Cook/Thronton in the backcourt.

If Parker came too, he would be competing with MPIII for backup time. If only Parker came, I suspect he would be competing with MPIII for a starting position. I can't see Kelly starting as our "center". Although we've had guys like Brickey, John Smith and even Chris Carrawell start at the "5".
    Perhaps I wasn't clear.

Oriakhi is absolutely not going anywhere to compete for minutes at the C spot. He's going to go somewhere where he'll be the unquestioned starter. If Mason or Parker is at Duke, then Oriakhi will not be.

Parker is most likely looking for a place where he'll have a real shot at major minutes early. If Mason or Oriakhi is there, that goes out the window and Parker probably doesn't come to Duke. If neither of the senior options are there, Duke is very much on the table as he'd have an opportunity to win the starting job (competing with Marshall). Even then, I'd say there's no guarantee he'd choose that over a team with a more clear opening.