Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Alex Oriakhi to Missouri

Here is a very interesting development.

Oriakhi is a great student, who is basically unhappy with the culture at UConn and will be transferring. If UConn's post-season ban for next season is not lifted, he will be elligible to play immediately.

No mentions of Duke yet, and it would be one of the stranger roster developments I can ever remember at Duke. But if Mason leaves and he's eligible... talk about filling a need. Even if he's ineligible next season, it could be huge to have a proven, 5th-year center senior with a year in the system in 2013-2014 to allow Marshall a little time to develop as a RS soph, and perhaps encourage certain 6'8 2013 recruits they wouldn't be chained to the post.

I mean, this guy was the best big in the 2010 Final Four. He's a big-time player. This should be very interesting to follow.

Very interesting indeed. I initially dismissed it as irrelevant because I (wrongly) assumed that Alex wasn't a Duke-level student given that he was at UConn. I regret making that assumption and am glad to hear that we might actually be a potential fit for him (if he were interested). Was there any interest on either side during his initial recruitment?

Oriakhi's final four schools coming out of high school were UConn, BC, Florida, and Ohio State. I can't imagine a UConn player likes Duke very much, but who knows. Definitely an interesting development and I'm sure the staff is at least considering all options.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Oriakhi's final four schools coming out of high school were UConn, BC, Florida, and Ohio State. I can't imagine a UConn player likes Duke very much, but who knows. Definitely an interesting development and I'm sure the staff is at least considering all options.
    I think there is a huge difference in what the players like and we as fans like. Take notes from what both unc and Duke players say about the other's schools. We love to see them fail, they pull for each other to succeed. I imagine this goes between conferences just as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Here is a very interesting development.

Oriakhi is a great student, who is basically unhappy with the culture at UConn and will be transferring. If UConn's post-season ban for next season is not lifted, he will be elligible to play immediately.

No mentions of Duke yet, and it would be one of the stranger roster developments I can ever remember at Duke. But if Mason leaves and he's eligible... talk about filling a need. Even if he's ineligible next season, it could be huge to have a proven, 5th-year center senior with a year in the system in 2013-2014 to allow Marshall a little time to develop as a RS soph, and perhaps encourage certain 6'8 2013 recruits they wouldn't be chained to the post.

I mean, this guy was the best big in the 2010 Final Four. He's a big-time player. This should be very interesting to follow.
    He was at odds with calhoun all year...didn't like that he had to share time with Drummond....that is 100% NOT the attitude you want at duke...you think he wants any bit of playing second fiddle to mason, ryan, and possibly marshall? doubtful.

He is a good rebounder, but his offensive game, is, well, offensive...He isn't the solution to duke's problems.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    He was at odds with calhoun all year...didn't like that he had to share time with Drummond....that is 100% NOT the attitude you want at duke...you think he wants any bit of playing second fiddle to mason, ryan, and possibly marshall? doubtful.

He is a good rebounder, but his offensive game, is, well, offensive...He isn't the solution to duke's problems.
    If he's a good rebounder, he can help Duke.

If Mason is still at Duke, there probably wouldn't be a scholarship for Oriakhi. If Mason is gone, Oriahki wouldn't have to worry about playing second fiddle any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    If he's a good rebounder, he can help Duke.

If Mason is still at Duke, there probably wouldn't be a scholarship for Oriakhi. If Mason is gone, Oriahki wouldn't have to worry about playing second fiddle any more.
    he went for 7 and 5 on average this year....i shoudl temper my statement, he was a good rebounder last year...but he's been at best mediocre this year...someone his size should be a double double machine...and again, do we really want someone who wanted playing time so much that he called his coach the nigerian word for "idiot?"

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/11/...ticize-calhoun

Coach K rarely brings in transfers anyway, so I highly doubt he would spend more than second thinking about bringing in someone with that attitude, who would be a senior (ie wouldn't even have time to be integrated into the system) for 7 points and 5 rebounds a game.
    1200. DDMF.

he went for 7 and 5 on average this year....i shoudl temper my statement, he was a good rebounder last year...but he's been at best mediocre this year...someone his size should be a double double machine...and again, do we really want someone who wanted playing time so much that he called his coach the nigerian word for "idiot?"

Coach K rarely brings in transfers anyway, so I highly doubt he would spend more than second thinking about bringing in someone with that attitude, who would be a senior (ie wouldn't even have time to be integrated into the system) for 7 points and 5 rebounds a game.
    Who knows if either side would even be interested, but I'd venture to guess that if he were to get more than the 21 minutes per game that he got this year at UConn he might move those numbers up some. I think we could use a battle-tested, bona fide, power big who could give us maybe, what, 12 and 8? Not far from Mason numbers . . .

Wink

What's the Nigerian word fort "shady"? Maybe he meant that instead

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    What's the Nigerian word fort "shady"? Maybe he meant that instead
    maybe he did...

but you don't call your coach an idiot in public, and you don't say his decisions are BS in public...even if he is, and they are so.
    1200. DDMF.

maybe he did...

but you don't call your coach an idiot in public, and you don't say his decisions are BS in public...even if he is, and they are so.
    But the real question is: did Oriaki say, "not a dime back!" on his way out of Connecticut?

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    But the real question is: did Oriaki say, "not a dime back!" on his way out of Connecticut?
    That is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xokthY5zuPU

Just throwing this out there because I don't know the answer -- any adequate guys out there who have graduated, but have an extra year, that can take advantage of the Russell Wilson rule? My guess is that anyone that could really help is going to the next level, but one never knows.

This is why I thought the sarcastic thread title change was unnecessary. These guys have just as much of a shot at ending up at Duke as certain recruits who have their own threads.

Anyway, Oriakhi will apparently know whether or not he has to sit out for a year or not within 7-10 days:

Connecticut should learn whether it's eligible to play in the 2013 NCAA tournament within a week to 10 days, according to NCAA president Mark Emmert.

The deadline for the Huskies to submit their appeal to the NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance is Monday, according to Emmert.

But a UConn official told ESPN.com on Sunday the Huskies sent in the final appeal within the last two weeks, well ahead of the deadline.

As of right now, the Huskies are ineligible for the 2013 Tournament. They've had one appeal already denied and this would be their final appeal.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    This is why I thought the sarcastic thread title change was unnecessary. These guys have just as much of a shot at ending up at Duke as certain recruits who have their own threads.

Anyway, Oriakhi will apparently know whether or not he has to sit out for a year or not within 7-10 days:
    No way the NCAA reverses that ruling. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    No way the NCAA reverses that ruling. Not going to happen.
    we'll see. a 975 APR after instituting a new academic program is pretty compelling

but you're probably right.
    1200. DDMF.

Oriakhi

A previous blurb from earlier in the day indicated Alex was not going to consider Duke, but now Goodman tweeted the below

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS
    Duke will make a play for UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi, sources told CBSSports.

Confusing.

Perhaps it is just me and I'm misunderstanding the situation but I'm not real high on Oriakhi after his very public jabs at Calhoun. Now I am in no way a Calhoun supporter or a fan of UConn but his public Twitter critcism of his coach just doesn't sit well with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Perhaps it is just me and I'm misunderstanding the situation but I'm not real high on Oriakhi after his very public jabs at Calhoun. Now I am in no way a Calhoun supporter or a fan of UConn but his public Twitter critcism of his coach just doesn't sit well with me.
    I was thinking about that as well. I presume that K and company will suss that out if Alex reciprocates and a genuine courtship ensues.