Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Alex Oriakhi to Missouri

Here is a very interesting development.

Oriakhi is a great student, who is basically unhappy with the culture at UConn and will be transferring. If UConn's post-season ban for next season is not lifted, he will be elligible to play immediately.

No mentions of Duke yet, and it would be one of the stranger roster developments I can ever remember at Duke. But if Mason leaves and he's eligible... talk about filling a need. Even if he's ineligible next season, it could be huge to have a proven, 5th-year center senior with a year in the system in 2013-2014 to allow Marshall a little time to develop as a RS soph, and perhaps encourage certain 6'8 2013 recruits they wouldn't be chained to the post.

I mean, this guy was the best big in the 2010 Final Four. He's a big-time player. This should be very interesting to follow.

Very interesting indeed. I initially dismissed it as irrelevant because I (wrongly) assumed that Alex wasn't a Duke-level student given that he was at UConn. I regret making that assumption and am glad to hear that we might actually be a potential fit for him (if he were interested). Was there any interest on either side during his initial recruitment?

Oriakhi's final four schools coming out of high school were UConn, BC, Florida, and Ohio State. I can't imagine a UConn player likes Duke very much, but who knows. Definitely an interesting development and I'm sure the staff is at least considering all options.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Here is a very interesting development.

Oriakhi is a great student, who is basically unhappy with the culture at UConn and will be transferring. If UConn's post-season ban for next season is not lifted, he will be elligible to play immediately.

No mentions of Duke yet, and it would be one of the stranger roster developments I can ever remember at Duke. But if Mason leaves and he's eligible... talk about filling a need. Even if he's ineligible next season, it could be huge to have a proven, 5th-year center senior with a year in the system in 2013-2014 to allow Marshall a little time to develop as a RS soph, and perhaps encourage certain 6'8 2013 recruits they wouldn't be chained to the post.

I mean, this guy was the best big in the 2010 Final Four. He's a big-time player. This should be very interesting to follow.
    He was at odds with calhoun all year...didn't like that he had to share time with Drummond....that is 100% NOT the attitude you want at duke...you think he wants any bit of playing second fiddle to mason, ryan, and possibly marshall? doubtful.

He is a good rebounder, but his offensive game, is, well, offensive...He isn't the solution to duke's problems.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    He was at odds with calhoun all year...didn't like that he had to share time with Drummond....that is 100% NOT the attitude you want at duke...you think he wants any bit of playing second fiddle to mason, ryan, and possibly marshall? doubtful.

He is a good rebounder, but his offensive game, is, well, offensive...He isn't the solution to duke's problems.
    If he's a good rebounder, he can help Duke.

If Mason is still at Duke, there probably wouldn't be a scholarship for Oriakhi. If Mason is gone, Oriahki wouldn't have to worry about playing second fiddle any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    If he's a good rebounder, he can help Duke.

If Mason is still at Duke, there probably wouldn't be a scholarship for Oriakhi. If Mason is gone, Oriahki wouldn't have to worry about playing second fiddle any more.
    he went for 7 and 5 on average this year....i shoudl temper my statement, he was a good rebounder last year...but he's been at best mediocre this year...someone his size should be a double double machine...and again, do we really want someone who wanted playing time so much that he called his coach the nigerian word for "idiot?"

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/11/...ticize-calhoun

Coach K rarely brings in transfers anyway, so I highly doubt he would spend more than second thinking about bringing in someone with that attitude, who would be a senior (ie wouldn't even have time to be integrated into the system) for 7 points and 5 rebounds a game.
    1200. DDMF.

Does anyone have any sort of lead/link that would make this a reasonably possible scenario? Or is this just day-dreaming at this point?

- Chillin

he went for 7 and 5 on average this year....i shoudl temper my statement, he was a good rebounder last year...but he's been at best mediocre this year...someone his size should be a double double machine...and again, do we really want someone who wanted playing time so much that he called his coach the nigerian word for "idiot?"

Coach K rarely brings in transfers anyway, so I highly doubt he would spend more than second thinking about bringing in someone with that attitude, who would be a senior (ie wouldn't even have time to be integrated into the system) for 7 points and 5 rebounds a game.
    Who knows if either side would even be interested, but I'd venture to guess that if he were to get more than the 21 minutes per game that he got this year at UConn he might move those numbers up some. I think we could use a battle-tested, bona fide, power big who could give us maybe, what, 12 and 8? Not far from Mason numbers . . .

Evan Smotrycz of Michigan transfering

The story is at ESPN anyway he is a soph 6'9 235 forward plays like kelly...he shot 43 % from 3..anybody think duke will pursue him

Quote Originally Posted by THE FUTURE View Post
    The story is at ESPN anyway he is a soph 6'9 235 forward plays like kelly...he shot 43 % from 3..anybody think duke will pursue him
    His consonant to vowel ratio makes him a very attractive Duke candidate

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Oriakhi's final four schools coming out of high school were UConn, BC, Florida, and Ohio State. I can't imagine a UConn player likes Duke very much, but who knows. Definitely an interesting development and I'm sure the staff is at least considering all options.
    I think there is a huge difference in what the players like and we as fans like. Take notes from what both unc and Duke players say about the other's schools. We love to see them fail, they pull for each other to succeed. I imagine this goes between conferences just as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    His consonant to vowel ratio makes him a very attractive Duke candidate
    Indeed a righteous observation. Hahahahaha

Wink

What's the Nigerian word fort "shady"? Maybe he meant that instead

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    What's the Nigerian word fort "shady"? Maybe he meant that instead
    maybe he did...

but you don't call your coach an idiot in public, and you don't say his decisions are BS in public...even if he is, and they are so.
    1200. DDMF.

Interesting thread title change, moderator. Might as well merge the Tony Parker thread while you're at it, because there's a greater chance of Oriakhi coming to Duke than him, and he's nowhere near as good.

I would have thought given that "physical post rebounder" will likely be our biggest, glaring weakness next year if Mason follows his three year plan and leaves, and that the best post player from last year's final four is transferring, and that he's a 3.6 student, and that he'll actually be eligible next year as a senior, the news was worth sharing without ridicule.

As I said before, there are two sides to Oriakhi's story, and his discontent was caused by something deeper (and longer running) than a lack of PT. Given the board's opinion of Calhoun, I wouldn't think that would be an automatic deal-breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Interesting thread title change, moderator. Might as well merge the Tony Parker thread while you're at it, because there's a greater chance of Oriakhi coming to Duke than him, and he's nowhere near as good.

I would have thought given that "physical post rebounder" will likely be our biggest, glaring weakness next year if Mason follows his three year plan and leaves, and that the best post player from last year's final four is transferring, and that he's a 3.6 student, and that he'll actually be eligible next year as a senior, the news was worth sharing without ridicule.

As I said before, there are two sides to Oriakhi's story, and his discontent was caused by something deeper (and longer running) than a lack of PT. Given the board's opinion of Calhoun, I wouldn't think that would be an automatic deal-breaker.
    Title change was on me - wasn't directed at any one person, more the confluence of the Ziegler/Oriakhi/Smotrycz threads showing up within 24 hours.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Title change was on me - wasn't directed at any one person, more the confluence of the Ziegler/Oriakhi/Smotrycz threads showing up within 24 hours.
    ...Who, while we're on the subject, should all obviously come to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    And an entirely appropriate change - we try to keep thread titles somewhat on topic as discussions evolve (or take a drunkard's walk) in new directions.

-jk

Alex Oriachi

Because of UCONN's ban from next year's tournament, Oriaki's father said that his was going to transfer and if the ban holds than he does not have to sit out a year.

He would be an excellent fit, 6-9, 240 pounds for the Duke team. He also had a 3.5 grade point average according to his father.

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    Because of UCONN's ban from next year's tournament, Oriaki's father said that his was going to transfer and if the ban holds than he does not have to sit out a year.

He would be an excellent fit, 6-9, 240 pounds for the Duke team. He also had a 3.5 grade point average according to his father.

Any thoughts?
    Well, it's already been mentioned a bit. But I think if he'd be willing to buy into the system he'd be a great addition. He'd be a perfect match with Kelly, allowing Kelly to play on the perimeter while manning the middle and eating up rebounds, scoring in the post some, running the floor, and challenging shots. If he'd have any interest in Duke, I think we'd be lucky to add such a player given our potential need for a big man (assuming Mason goes into the draft).