Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Two questions: On graduation speeches and another random question

1) I'll be graduating from law school in a few months, and am hoping to be our class' graduation speaker. As such, I was hoping to solicit some advice/wisdom from the board. I have to submit a draft of my would-be remarks this week to our graduation committee, and then will partake in a tryout next week. Any thoughts on content, tone, etc.?

2) Entirely random, but I've been trying to track down a relatively famous magazine article that was once written about New York City. It was essentially just a run down of the litany of statistics that, by themselves, tell the story of the city...such as, "1,530,234 parking fines assessed each month." Etc., etc. Can any of you recall the author, title, or magazine in which that piece was published?

First of all, congratulations on graduating and getting your JD!

As a lawyer practicing for over 20 years, I'll throw the following out as a possible topic (or at least food for thought):

The practice of law is not a job. It is not simply a career. The practice of law is a profession, which carries certain responsibilities. Responsibilities of truth and candor to your clients and the court. Responsibilites of professionalism and cordiality towards those who represent the other party. Responsibilities to your community to instill respect in the institutions of law.

Law school teaches you many things. A way to think, a way to speak, a way to act. You need to forget much of it in the practice of law. in school, you learn through the Socratic Method that "fairness" has little to do with the answer, it's what is the strict rule of law. In practice, this is not true. Fairness (or "equity") is the touchstone of any determination by a judge, jury or your peers. Your word is your bond, and at the end of the day our profession is based on personal respect and trust. If your peers trust and respect you, you have a great opportunity in our profession. If you lose those traits, it is almost impossible to get them back.

So, by all means, be a zealous advocate. Never sell your clients short. BUT, never forget that your practice is an amalgum of who you are and what you have done. Practice with honor, respect your adversaries, treat your clients well. Do this, and you will prosper in whatever field of the law you choose to pursue.

And, of course, keep good track of your billable hours.

Good Luck, OPK

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    1) I'll be graduating from law school in a few months, and am hoping to be our class' graduation speaker. As such, I was hoping to solicit some advice/wisdom from the board. I have to submit a draft of my would-be remarks this week to our graduation committee, and then will partake in a tryout next week. Any thoughts on content, tone, etc.?

2) Entirely random, but I've been trying to track down a relatively famous magazine article that was once written about New York City. It was essentially just a run down of the litany of statistics that, by themselves, tell the story of the city...such as, "1,530,234 parking fines assessed each month." Etc., etc. Can any of you recall the author, title, or magazine in which that piece was published?
    My main man, finally getting those law school walking papers. I'm proud of you, man.

I did the contest for my class's graduation speech as well. I was the runner-up to my friend who gave a fantastic speech. Mine focused on what we had learned in law school and focused on how the community that I graduated with was diverse and smart and brilliant. I had some funny parts, some "sappy" parts, but it focused on my classmates and how we had gone through the storm together.

Deliver it with poise, and you'll do great, I'm sure. i have no doubt that the content will be worthy to give at graduation.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Perfect advice.

Thanks, the both of you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey, good luck! I don't have any speech advice other than to stay away from the Dr. Seuss references.

I hope you get the speech!

Congrats and good luck! When we going to The Barn??????
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I hope you're picking up the tab for the graduate, Oz!

If it's any consolation, I haven't left Columbus save for twice since we made this arrangement--one was for a grandmother sick in West Virginia, and the other was for another grandmother sick in Toledo, Ohio.

I have some time off in between graduation and bar prep, and I am hoping to visit Durham then. So i'll be in touch.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I hope you're picking up the tab for the graduate, Oz!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    If it's any consolation, I haven't left Columbus save for twice since we made this arrangement--one was for a grandmother sick in West Virginia, and the other was for another grandmother sick in Toledo, Ohio.

I have some time off in between graduation and bar prep, and I am hoping to visit Durham then. So i'll be in touch.
    I look forward to seeing you then! And Weezie, he's buying. He lost a bet last season on Kyrie's return.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

I look forward to seeing you then! And Weezie, he's buying. He lost a bet last season on Kyrie's return.
    But geez Oz, he's been visiting sick grandmothers. Show some compassion. Buy the boy a steak and a nice glass or several bottles of wine. We might need him to come up with bail someday......

But geez Oz, he's been visiting sick grandmothers. Show some compassion. Buy the boy a steak and a nice glass or several bottles of wine. We might need him to come up with bail someday......
    Bahahahahahahaa! Go Weezie!

When I get sworn in as the 47th President of the United States, Chief Justice Mike Corey will administer the oath.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Wouldn't have thought of asking DBR experts until this thread popped up. Not to brag (ok, feel free to call BS, I do mean to brag) but a young Turk is in the hunt for graduation oratory at the local suburban megaplex high school. It's not anything as important as law school, but the same general idea applies. Any thoughts to throw out there for potential high school speakers? I told the kid, "You shouldn't take more than five minutes, and there needs to be at least one joke per minute. 'Avoid the clap' or 'Get a job, get a haircut, and buy American' would be good closing lines. Your choice..." (Not sure I helped...)

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    When I get sworn in as the 47th President of the United States, Chief Justice Mike Corey will administer the oath.
    Now, I expect front row seats for that one and lunch at the WH afterwards. And a nice gift bag. Dinner, sometime pre-inauguration will be on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Not to brag (ok, feel free to call BS, I do mean to brag) but a young Turk is in the hunt for graduation oratory at the local suburban megaplex high school...
    I told the kid, "You shouldn't take more than five minutes, and there needs to be at least one joke per minute. 'Avoid the clap' or 'Get a job, get a haircut, and buy American' would be good closing lines. Your choice..." (Not sure I helped...)
    Tell him to advise that they profusely thank their parents (except maybe for that "clap" line) and promise to get out in four years of college,
    and, once again, always avoid Dr. Seuss quotes.
    PS, congrats to him, sounds like a smart child...was he found in a basket on your doorstep?
    hahahah, cracking self up!

Now, I expect front row seats for that one and lunch at the WH afterwards. And a nice gift bag. Dinner, sometime pre-inauguration will be on me.

Tell him to advise that they profusely thank their parents (except maybe for that "clap" line) and promise to get out in four years of college,
    and, once again, always avoid Dr. Seuss quotes.
    PS, congrats to him, sounds like a smart child...was he found in a basket on your doorstep?
    hahahah, cracking self up!
    Limericks are always good: There once was a man from Nantucket . . .

Mike, I hope you're selected to make the speech. I've made a few of those myself and sought the advice and example of those whose speeches I found interesting. (e. g., JFK's speechwriter was exceptional at writing memorable speeches.)

The advice given generally was (1) Make it short and concise. (2) Have a clear beginning, middle and end. (3) Forget about the typical stuff included in such speeches... those elements ensure no one will remember what you say. (4) Talk about something or someone who inspires you and helps you identify your purpose in life. (5) Deliver your speech like a good storyteller. (6) Include some sort of surprise or unexpected element.

Please let us know how the process moves along. Your writing is a good indication that you have an advantage over other applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

As a lawyer practicing for over 20 years, I'll throw the following out as a possible topic (or at least food for thought):

The practice of law is not a job. It is not simply a career. The practice of law is a profession, which carries certain responsibilities. Responsibilities of truth and candor to your clients and the court. Responsibilites of professionalism and cordiality towards those who represent the other party. Responsibilities to your community to instill respect in the institutions of law.

Law school teaches you many things. A way to think, a way to speak, a way to act. You need to forget much of it in the practice of law. in school, you learn through the Socratic Method that "fairness" has little to do with the answer, it's what is the strict rule of law. In practice, this is not true. Fairness (or "equity") is the touchstone of any determination by a judge, jury or your peers. Your word is your bond, and at the end of the day our profession is based on personal respect and trust. If your peers trust and respect you, you have a great opportunity in our profession. If you lose those traits, it is almost impossible to get them back.

So, by all means, be a zealous advocate. Never sell your clients short. BUT, never forget that your practice is an amalgum of who you are and what you have done. Practice with honor, respect your adversaries, treat your clients well. Do this, and you will prosper in whatever field of the law you choose to pursue.

Good Luck, OPK
    Well said. I might add that you will find that many, if not most, of your clients know the solution to their problems. They just do not know how to properly define the problem. Your best service to them is to guide them into properly identifying the problem. Lead them to ask the right question and the answer usually lays in from of them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Good Luck, OPK
    I've read this post again. OKP has identified a great way to view and select your topic. Some of the Supremes over the years have written very eloquently in their some of their opinions... Mike, have you studied one that caught your eye?

Well, my speech has been submitted. I have to read it as part of a "tryout" on Monday, and a week or so thereafter, I'll find out whether or not I've been selected.

I ended up reviewing some speeches from Emerson, JFK and reading a few opinions from Oliver Wendell Holmes.

I started out with a funny personal story about my grandmother (we just moved her into hospice care, incidentally) who ultimately asks whether or not having gone to law school was worth it. I spend the rest of the speech explaining how it was, with nods to the good works of my classmates sprinkled in throughout. The message OPK articulated is one that I weaved throughout, as well.

So cross your fingers and toes for me Monday at 7, and thanks so much for all the sound advice!

And Blazin, you'll want someone more capable to serve as your Chief Justice. I suspect Roberts will still be on the bench then anyway. But I'll gladly serve as your body man or Secretary of Education! And I assume Wunderglo will either be your predecessor or your running mate.

I appreciate the gesture, but a bet's a bet. I'm happy to pay for a steak in order to dine with the grand daddy of all DBR posters anyway.