Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Ryan Kelly Foot Vigil

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205392984&DB_OEM _ID=4200

This is a really tough break, and I feel awful for Ryan. He's a hungry player and I know that not being able to play has to frustrate him coming off the UNC loss.

Interesting to see how we'll cope. Tough guy to lose.
    Last edited by 1999ballboy; 03-06-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: wording

Ryan Kelly out for ACC Tourney

There are numerous reports that Ryan sprained his foot in practice today and will miss the ACC Tourney.

-Jason "yikes!" Evans

Edit: Props to 1999ballboy, who beat me with this news. Threads merged.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Darn. That really hurts us. I hope Hairston is ready to play! (And that Ryan is ready for the NCAA tournament as we'll need him.)

Wow, that would be tough. Hope everything is okay by this time next week, inf not earlier.

Should we be fortunate enough to reach the ACC finals, it would be 3 games in 3 days... which is a lot to ask any kid to play. Duke will need to use its bench early and often in the tourney. I hope Hairston gets some burn but also expect us to go with Gbinije or even Dawkins at the "4" at times -- which would essentially be 4 wing guys surrounding one big fella. K has used lineups like that before and I expect he will again.

FSU or Miami, should we face them in the semis, would be the real test as they both have good sets of big men. Carolina, perhaps in the finals, has decent big men too

-Jason "now, lets wrap the rest of the team in bubble wrap for the next few days, ok?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Be careful what you wish for!

There have been some that wanted some of or all of Ryan's minutes to go to Andre and Michael G. Well that may now happen. I hate this for Ryan and for the team. This year we have not been too concerned with foul trouble to our front line. That may now change. With Miles and Mason both in the starting rotation there is less room for error. They may not be able to play with fear of getting into foul trouble and lose some of their aggressiveness. Let's hope Josh steps up and provides the minutes we need. GoDuke!

I hate for this for Ryan and the team.
    I've always had a formula that I feel you need to win a championship...staying healthy is obviously one of them.

I hope Ryan gets to rest and two weeks give him enough time to get back to normal!

Silver lining time Maybe this will be 2001 all over again... with Coach K "re-tooling" the team. Maybe this gives Ryan much needed rest and be ready for the NCAAT... or even the ACCT?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Silver lining time Maybe this will be 2001 all over again... with Coach K "re-tooling" the team. Maybe this gives Ryan much needed rest and be ready for the NCAAT... or even the ACCT?
    Maybe. But that "re-evaluated on Monday" seems awfully convenient.

This rather dramatically changes the makeup offensively. He's our stretch 4 and it's a role that can't really be replaced. The offense is going to have to change a good bit. Hopefully we can get a couple wins this weekend.

Wow, that is HUGE. Hope Josh is sufficiently recovered from his concussion and that Silent G makes use of his time!

Hope Ryan is doing better for the NCAAs!

So Josh is going to see a boost in mins but I wonder if Silent will see more time as well? 3 games in 3 days should mean more bench players especially with Kelly down. Also how does this affect our ability to stretch the floor? One more thing of note is maybe this helps defensively a bit with Miles and Mason playing more.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    So Josh is going to see a boost in mins but I wonder if Silent will see more time as well? 3 games in 3 days should mean more bench players especially with Kelly down. Also how does this affect our ability to stretch the floor? One more thing of note is maybe this helps defensively a bit with Miles and Mason playing more.

Thoughts?
    I think this is good for us - G and Hairston should get minutes for extended periods of time when it counts. Assuming Kelly comes back for the NCAAs, we could be stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I think this is good for us - G and Hairston should get minutes for extended periods of time when it counts. Assuming Kelly comes back for the NCAAs, we could be stronger.
    Offensively I think it hurts us pretty bad but because Josh and G have not shown much on the offensive side, nothing to be concerned over since he should be back for the NCAAT. Defensively however I am not sure... Kelly has better size at the 4 but he has been pretty bad at guarding 4's all year and attempts to draw waaayyy too many charges. G would (in theory) give us more speed and lateral quickness (which we have lacked all year) but he is really raw right now especially on offense. Josh has not shown a lot on offense except a decent mid range shot from time to time and he has a hard time on defense but he is like Tyler in that he provides great energy and hustle and is a pest on D.

It's over.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    It's over.
    Are you serious?
    It wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, and it wasn't over when Boozer busted up his foot.
    Get ready to see lots of Miles this weekend, and for a few others to grab their opportunity, ala Casey Sanders.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Sad news to hear. Hopefully coach and the rest of the team can figure this out as quickly as possible. Kelly is an integral part of this team so someone (or a couple guys) are really going to have to elevate their play.

I look forward to seeing what Coach will come up with.

That's bad news. I like Kelly and when he plays aggressively he's a very good player... he can really stretch the court it's a hard hit.

When did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor? I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedsP287 View Post
    When did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor? I need to get out more.
    My thoughts as well...