Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thought I'd Just Say, re: Coach K

That (and this comes from a Carolina fan who maybe isn't your coach's biggest fan in the world) I was impressed by what I saw/heard from him following the Lehigh game. That made a very nice impression. Not what I was expecting, and not really what I wanted to see, to be honest, but very good to see, all the same.

Go Heels (and see ya next season).

Quote Originally Posted by Aziggazoomba View Post
    That (and this comes from a Carolina fan who maybe isn't your coach's biggest fan in the world) I was impressed by what I saw/heard from him following the Lehigh game. That made a very nice impression. Not what I was expecting, and not really what I wanted to see, to be honest, but very good to see, all the same.

Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting? K to roll out of the locker room with a Bud Lite in his hand and start a profanity-laced rant?

Quote Originally Posted by Misunderestimated View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting? K to roll out of the locker room with a Bud Lite in his hand and start a profanity-laced rant?
    No.

In that scenario I would have expected him to say all the typical things that coaches say after a profound disappointment. All the stuff that's in the script for that role.

Here, there was an element of real humanity in what he said, and more, in the way he said it. It struck me as especially nice, under the circumstances.

I didn't mean it as an insult, but obviously that's how it came across. Sorry for that.

Coach K is ALWAYS very gracious and complimentary of his opponents and opposing coaches, whether in victory (see Kentucky locker room, 1992) or defeat. He never, ever complains about them or denigrates them. Any expectations of different behavior are misguided and wrong.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Coach K is ALWAYS very gracious and complimentary of his opponents and opposing coaches, whether in victory (see Kentucky locker room, 1992) or defeat. He never, ever complains about them or denigrates them. Any expectations of different behavior are misguided and wrong.
    In sharp contrast to a certain legendary UNC coach (and not the current one)

I've always enjoyed watching K reach out and touch the heart of an opposing player who has played well as they come through the post-game handshake line.
    It is so cool and must be quite a moment for the player.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I don't disagree, and didn't mean to say otherwise.

Again, here, I thought he put forth an ESPECIALLY GRACIOUS quality.

(Where I come from that's called a compliment.)

I appreciate your comment. I think it's moments like those that have so heavily endeared Coach K to our fans. Any random coach can feign humility and seem likable after a victory. After you win, you feel good, you're confident, and things are well. It's easy to be generous and personable during that moment.

However, after you lose, particularly when it was wholly unexpected, and particularly disappointing and perhaps even embarrassing, that's when you really see what a man is made of. It's hard to feign the sort of equipoise Coach K demonstrated. He was undoubtedly very emotional and yet he was able to be truly genuine in front of the cameras. That's why we like him so much.

Thanks, We Think?

It's just that you wrapped your comment around "not what I was expecting"...Which is either a backhanded compliment or it comes from someone who has never experienced or seen K post game in oh, 30 years. The man is the most gracious and real person after a loss or win. He is the epitome of a grounded, comfortable in his own skin human being. Unlike Tom Crean in victory who had to slam two cbs commentators, instead of congratulating VCU, etc.. He looked like a complete fool. Not to mention pretty much blowing off Shaka Smart who was so classy in his postgame handshake.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    It's just that you wrapped your comment around "not what I was expecting"...Which is either a backhanded compliment or it comes from someone who has never experienced or seen K post game in oh, 30 years. The man is the most gracious and real person after a loss or win. He is the epitome of a grounded, comfortable in his own skin human being. Unlike Tom Crean in victory who had to slam two cbs commentators, instead of congratulating VCU, etc.. He looked like a complete fool. Not to mention pretty much blowing off Shaka Smart who was so classy in his postgame handshake.
    I sense a Dove commercial in the make. Why not, there's already one with Tom Izzo and another with Bobby Hurley. BTW, since we're complimenting coaches, Tom Izzo has become my second favorite after Coach K. He also seems very real and genuine and is great at what he does, particularly at Tourney time. Like Coach K, he's a real asset to the college game.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Thank you

You meant it as a compliment, and I appreciate that. We Duke fans are used to Coach K doing things like this, but if you don't follow Coach K closely, I can see why you wouldn't expect it. Hope this explains why some here weren't sure you were trying give a compliment.

I thought his halftime interview was the most telling. He seemed truly perplexed that we were not playing well as if he had attempted to push all the buttons and nothing was working. I inferred from the halftime interview that he did not anticipate the game going the way it went.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You meant it as a compliment, and I appreciate that. We Duke fans are used to Coach K doing things like this, but if you don't follow Coach K closely, I can see why you wouldn't expect it. Hope this explains why some here weren't sure you were trying give a compliment.
    Ditto. Thanks for the kind words about Coach K. Frankly, given the level of media gushing over Coach K this year with the 903rd victory, I can see why non-Duke fans might be inclined (not to say eager) to look for flaws in the man wherever they could. So your willingness to see the real graciousness in this particular post-game statement rather than assume it was phony or hypocritical is all the more appreciated.

Thank you. I'm glad you took the time to watch his post game comments. It gave you a chance to see what those of us that are fans see more regularly. Of course, I hope you never have the opportunity to see another post game interview after a loss but, since you most likely will as we are bound to lose a game at some point in the future, I hope you will make time to watch so you realize that this response is not unusual.

I'm really sorry about Marshall's injury. I don't like to see any player go out due to an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by rtnorthrup View Post
    I thought his halftime interview was the most telling. He seemed truly perplexed that we were not playing well as if he had attempted to push all the buttons and nothing was working. I inferred from the halftime interview that he did not anticipate the game going the way it went.
    First off, who else is with me that K needs to stop these NCAA halftime interviews immediately? I was shocked to see him do one during halftime of last year's Arizona game and again this year against Lehigh. We are 0-2 when he does these halftime interviews in the modern era. Since he gave up doing the interviews years ago, I can only assume that his recent willingness has to do with it being part of the NCAA contract. They are BRUTAL. When I heard him start using Kelly absence as an excuse, I knew we were done. Would K have ever admitted any possible weakness, in game, if he was used to doing halftime interviews? Heck no. He needs to put his foot down and never do them again.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    First off, who else is with me that K needs to stop these NCAA halftime interviews immediately? I was shocked to see him do one during halftime of last year's Arizona game and again this year against Lehigh. We are 0-2 when he does these halftime interviews in the modern era. Since he gave up doing the interviews years ago, I can only assume that his recent willingness has to do with it being part of the NCAA contract. They are BRUTAL. When I heard him start using Kelly absence as an excuse, I knew we were done. Would K have ever admitted any possible weakness, in game, if he was used to doing halftime interviews? Heck no. He needs to put his foot down and never do them again.
    I'm pretty sure this is right--the head coaches have to make themselves available. I actually think, from a basketball perspective, it's a terrible requirement--the coaches should be focused elsewhere at halftime. That said, I'm not sure Coach K's doing a halftime interview is really a factor in these tournament losses. Among other things, apparently the length of halftime is extended so that coaches doing interviews can get adequate time with their teams.

US National Team Coach as Well

Not that K would behave any differently, but there are different expectations when the college coach is also the head coach of the national team. It does put postgame coimments in perspective, doesn't it?

sage

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is right--the head coaches have to make themselves available. I actually think, from a basketball perspective, it's a terrible requirement--the coaches should be focused elsewhere at halftime. That said, I'm not sure Coach K's doing a halftime interview is really a factor in these tournament losses. Among other things, apparently the length of halftime is extended so that coaches doing interviews can get adequate time with their teams.
    I believe I've heard K say before that he is not a proponent of these half-time interviews. He's trying to compose in his mind what it is he wants to say to the team at half-time, but instead he is supposed to go out and chat up Erin Andrews for a while. Typically we send Collins out for that duty.

But for most coaches I'm sure they like it, as any kind of broadcast face time like that can help their image and recruits might be watching.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    That said, I'm not sure Coach K's doing a halftime interview is really a factor in these tournament losses. Among other things, apparently the length of halftime is extended so that coaches doing interviews can get adequate time with their teams.
    I agree, I was hoping the sarcasm would bleed through my typing. I will say, though, that it freaked me out during last year's Arizona game and it freaked me out again against Lehigh. I don't remember K doing those interviews in Rounds 1 and 2 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I agree, I was hoping the sarcasm would bleed through my typing. I will say, though, that it freaked me out during last year's Arizona game and it freaked me out again against Lehigh. I don't remember K doing those interviews in Rounds 1 and 2 last year.
    Sorry, I'm a little slow today. Agreed, though, it freaked me out on Friday as well. I don't remember it from the Arizona game, possibly because I have successfully blotted large stretches of that game from my memory (unfortunately, not all of it though).