Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    We're going to find out a lot about Roy in the next week. A lot.
    He would never risk injury to his players by making them play in a dangerous situation. Not his starters anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    We're going to find out a lot about Roy in the next week. A lot.
    Ugh, do we HAVE to?

From the front page article about hole fans tormenting the Creighton kid that they hold responsible for the injury, I think I've learned more than I ever cared to know.

I'm sure Roy won't take any chances. How can he with the whole sports world watching him?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Ugh, do we HAVE to?

From the front page article about hole fans tormenting the Creighton kid that they hold responsible for the injury, I think I've learned more than I ever cared to know.

I'm sure Roy won't take any chances. How can he with the whole sports world watching him?
    If you watched him last night, you could tell he was experiencing another catastrophe.

I think Weezie hit the nail on the head. The whole world will be watching. No doubt Tar Heel fans are all about getting him back in there as soon as possible (see Inside Carolina for a bunch of laughs).

The rest of the responsible world, however, may look at Roy in a different light. I mean think about it...everyone in the world is going to know what happened with Kendall's wrist. A smart coach, not a dirty one, will tell his players to get up and attack, pressure the ball, and be physical with KM. We've seen it in the NFL - if they know a guy has an injury, they attack that injury. So, why would Ol Roy put his player in that kind of situation? Well, I think he already knows what he has to do which is why he was such a Nervous Nellie after the game last night.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    He would never risk injury to his players by making them play in a dangerous situation. Not his starters anyway.
    ZING!

If I were Roy, I would put Barnes at the 1 and make sure the other four guys are ready to bail him out if he gets in trouble bringing the ball past half-court. I'd emphasize passing the ball over dribbling.

The other option is to play Stillman White as the primary 1 and roll with the same offense, albeit with much lower expectations. But he is unlikely to play 35 minutes, so a backup plan almost has to be having Barnes dominate the ball.

Tell Barnes he's the next Magic Johnson and practice that way all week.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If I were Roy, I would put Barnes at the 1 and make sure the other four guys are ready to bail him out if he gets in trouble bringing the ball past half-court. I'd emphasize passing the ball over dribbling.

The other option is to play Stillman White as the primary 1 and roll with the same offense, albeit with much lower expectations. But he is unlikely to play 35 minutes, so a backup plan almost has to be having Barnes dominate the ball.

Conveniently, same initials as the person Barnes already thinks/hopes he is the next one of, so that should work.
    Last edited by MCFinARL; 03-19-2012 at 12:33 PM.

But then you risk losing two key players - Marshall to injury, and Barnes to changing his entire game on the fly. Your second option seems more likely, White and Watts to bring the ball up the floor, and let the other four players do what they do.

And we think his ego is big now. Can you imagine how big it would get if they won with him at point?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    But then you risk losing two key players - Marshall to injury, and Barnes to changing his entire game on the fly. Your second option seems more likely, White and Watts to bring the ball up the floor, and let the other four players do what they do.
    But then you're getting an awful lot of Watts and White. I'm assuming you cannot get away that vs. Kansas. Maybe vs. Ohio.

Is the consensus that Stillman White would start Friday? Or that someone like Barnes would slide over?
    In the post-game press conference, Roy Williams was asked who would play the point if Marshall can't go. His answer was either White or Watts. My guess would be that White will get a shot with Watts backing him up. If neither can cut it, then they'd go to Barnes. But that'd be an absolute last resort, as Barnes has shown very limited ballhandling skills and no playmaking skills to this point in his college career. The same could be said of Watts and White, but at least with those guys you're not also taking away one of your best off-ball scorers in Barnes.

David Glenn just summed it up best when he said something to the effect of "there is no good look for UNC if Marshall can't play." There isn't an option that covers up for Marshall's loss in any degree without exposing another big weakness. This was an already very short rotation. Losing the only ACC-caliber guard (and a fantastic one at that) would be debilitating. Everything they do offensively revolves around his skills.

Without Marshall, that offense becomes a one-on-one half court offense with virtually no threat of dribble penetration. And only Zeller and Barnes have shown any consistent ability to score on their own.

Cue up the Curtis Blow

Should my co-workers decide to taunt me over the Lehigh loss, I've come up with a fitting response.

Ol’ Roy says, “Kid I need you to go.”
    But you’re looking ahead to NBA dough.

That’s the breaks, that’s the breaks.

Cause your scaphoid bones connected to the hand.
    And you’ll dribble the ball like it’s a can of Spam.

And Tarheel fans might as well go home.
    Cause your team aint making it to the dome.

Well these are the breaks. Break it up, break it up, break it up, break down!

I hope the young man does the smart thing and lets his wrist heal properly. I know the ring is a huge pull emotionally, but he's got a lot more ball playing ahead of him and good things as well only if he's fully recovered.

Kendall should speak with Kyrie

Hi,

I am sure Kyrie will tell him about how the Duke staff made sure he was totally healed before he was allowed to play again. I am sure Kyrie will tell him about how Coach K was not going to let him play and risk his future. Coach K and Duke did the right thing, I have to believe that when push comes to shove UNC will do the same because I really do believe that they care about their kids too. Part of what makes the rivalry the rivalry is how both programs do the right thing for their athletes.

GO DUKE!

But then you're getting an awful lot of Watts and White. I'm assuming you cannot get away that vs. Kansas. Maybe vs. Ohio.
    I don't think a Marshall-less team gets past Kansas or NC State regardless of who plays PG. If you go with White, you lose a ton on offense and a ton on defense. If you go with Watts, you lose even more on offense but you might actually be better defensively. If you go with Barnes, I think you lose a similar amount on offense as going with Watts (if you then start Hairston) and probably stay close to the same on defense. If you go with Barnes at PG and Watts at SF, your defense improves but your offense is probably the worst of the three options.

There really isn't a good look for UNC if Marshall can't go. I'd say that Ohio's lack of size will do them in unless their guards are off the charts. But I don't think there's any lineup configuration that gets UNC past Kansas or State that doesn't involve Marshall at the PG (unless those teams just lay an absolute egg).

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    I am sure Kyrie will tell him about how the Duke staff made sure he was totally healed before he was allowed to play again. I am sure Kyrie will tell him about how Coach K was not going to let him play and risk his future.
    I don't think Kyrie was completely healed when he came back. I don't think he was even completely healed by the following fall. I do think he was at the point where he could play on it and there was no risk of further injury, if that's what you meant. And I think Roy will do the same thing, despite all of the shots that Duke fans are trying to take at him.

Selfishly, I'm wondering if this injury will affect his decision to turn pro. I don't even know where he was leaning before the injury, but conceivably it could force him to stay. Ugh.

As for the upcoming games, I see Barnes taking a ton of shots. He's the only guy that has any semblance of ability to create his own shot. Let White or Watts get the ball down the court, let Barnes fire away, and send everyone else to the glass. They'll still score a lot of points that way.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    I don't think Barnes ego would take the downgrade well.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    And I think Roy will do the same thing, despite all of the shots that Duke fans are trying to take at him.
    I was joking above, of course. I really do not believe Williams will play Marshall if there's even a slight chance it will lead to further injury or long term problems. And I believe that because I think that despite his PR gaffes and his blunder in tallahasee, Williams cares about his players. But even if I were more cynical and thought he was a "me first" "I could give a you know what about [the players]" kind of coach, I still think he wouldn't play Marshall unless there was minimal risk (there's always some) of re-injury or permanent problems.

In that context: He already has two championships, and he has to recognize that his chances of winning it all with a diminished Marshall are small. It will serve him much more to be able to show that he cares about his players, and has a built in excuse for not advancing past the elite eight. And if the rejiggered team continues to make a run, well golly, look how good a coach he is to make those adjustments.

But again, I think he'll do the right thing because it's the right thing.

I Wasn't Taking Shots At Anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don't think Kyrie was completely healed when he came back. I don't think he was even completely healed by the following fall. I do think he was at the point where he could play on it and there was no risk of further injury, if that's what you meant. And I think Roy will do the same thing, despite all of the shots that Duke fans are trying to take at him.

Selfishly, I'm wondering if this injury will affect his decision to turn pro. I don't even know where he was leaning before the injury, but conceivably it could force him to stay. Ugh.

As for the upcoming games, I see Barnes taking a ton of shots. He's the only guy that has any semblance of ability to create his own shot. Let White or Watts get the ball down the court, let Barnes fire away, and send everyone else to the glass. They'll still score a lot of points that way.
    Hi,

Kyrie looked pretty darn healed (no pun intended UNC fans) when Duke played Michigan. I don't know for sure though. I didn't even mention Ole Roy and wasn't taking shots at him. I was serious in that they will probably do the right thing because I think they care about their kids.

GO DUKE!

Dennis Marshall still seems to be holding out hope that Kendall will play at some point this weekend. Seems absolutely absurd, but I guess his season may not be over yet...

I am truely sorry for KM and the team.

I can't imagine that he plays. If he cannot use that hand to dribble or pass (if it has to be immobilized), not sure he can be the primary ball handler... However, UNC is still loaded with talent. Losing Marshall is a HUGE hit, but if Ol Roy can move away from his preferred style of play and utilize a slower, half court offense... who knows?

Until I see him in civvies before the game, I say he's starting, as per usual.