Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Again, Ohio was NOT overmatched tonight in the back court because UNC had no Kendall Marshall.

Stillman White's presence did nothing to tilt the game in the favor of UNC. In fact, it was his presence and KM's absence that made the Ohio game nearly turn into an upset. Did White hurt UNC with his play? Not particularly. Did he do anything to help them win? Not particularly.

Again, he did his job - stayed out of the way.

I said before the game he'd have around 4 assists and thought he'd actually turn it over a few times. So by that expectation, yes, he exceeded what I thought he'd do.
    Did nothing? Basketball is more than stats.

He played 32 minutes. Watts played 15, and Roy made sure to have him in at crunch time.

What kept Ohio in the game was their strong shooting second half, UNC to's, and Barnes.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    No it wasn't... not in this game. It was Barnes's extremely poor performance that put the game in question.
    White didn't shoot for Barnes who went something like 3 for 15 and turned the ball over several times or Watts turning the ball over and getting in trouble.
    White's presence did nothing to put the game in question.... I DO agree that Marshall's absence had a negative impact. AND, there IS a difference between White's presence being benign and Marshall absence being negative.
    Poor perimeter defense also played a part in the game getting as close as it did.
    A lot of Barnes' misses came off iso. If KM is in there, Barnes doesn't handle the ball as much and gets better looks at the basket and probably makes more. I also think that Barnes can't handle the pressure of being the go to... I think he felt he had to step up in KM's absence and forced things.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Did nothing? Basketball is more than stats.

He played 32 minutes. Watts played 15, and Roy made sure to have him in at crunch time.

What kept Ohio in the game was their strong shooting second half, UNC to's, and Barnes.
    Someone had to play the minutes. And it wasn't going to be Watts, especially after his turnovers.

So now you're saying that Stillman White has "intangibles"?

This is fun...

It amazes me at how little UNC fans seem to think of KM. Seriously, send him to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Ohio was outrebounded 55-27 against UNC tonight. I think that says something about their overall ability to match up with the Tar Heels.
    They were overmatched in the post, as most teams have been against UNC.

Outside shooting has gotten better for the Heels, which it had to do, and is why they are winning these tough games, under adverse conditions.

Sweet sixteen games are rarely "easy" wins for anybody.

We need to give Ohio more credit.

A lot of Barnes' misses came off iso. If KM is in there, Barnes doesn't handle the ball as much and gets better looks at the basket and probably makes more. I also think that Barnes can't handle the pressure of being the go to... I think he felt he had to step up in KM's absence and forced things.
    Yep, we can agree on that. BUT, with Kendall out, a highly regarded/respected player like Barnes must step up and he didn't... at all... and this was Ohio.
    IMHO, Roy should have pulled him out and let McAdoo take over. Barnes for all the attention he has received hasn't done squat lately IMHO.
    Why Roy went to him in the final seconds of regulation is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by #1Duke View Post
    Yep, we can agree on that. BUT, with Kendall out, a highly regarded/respected player like Barnes must step up and he didn't... at all... and this was Ohio.
    IMHO, Roy should have pulled him out and let McAdoo take over. Barnes for all the attention he has received hasn't done squat lately IMHO.
    Why Roy went to him in the final seconds of regulation is beyond me.
    Yea but I still say that Barnes and Cooper canceled each other out. Cooper shoots 35% for the season and jacks up 20 shots?

When you only hit 3 of them, maybe it's time to pass the ball?

Barnes tried to step up and failed. He'll get a 2nd, more critical chance on Sunday.

Someone had to play the minutes. And it wasn't going to be Watts, especially after his turnovers.

So now you're saying that Stillman White has "intangibles"?

This is fun...

It amazes me at how little UNC fans seem to think of KM. Seriously, send him to us.

First, why do you assume I think less of KM because I recognize Stilman's solid play?

He absolutley has intangibles. Along with, spunk, scrappiness, headiness...etc...he's a real gym rat makes good story. (que other white player analogies).

Yea but I still say that Barnes and Cooper canceled each other out. Cooper shoots 35% for the season and jacks up 20 shots?

When you only hit 3 of them, maybe it's time to pass the ball?

Barnes tried to step up and failed. He'll get a 2nd, more critical chance on Sunday.
    Yes, I guess they kind of did cancel each other out. Barnes also got 2 travels and I think two offensive fouls to go along with several turnovers.
    Not only did he shoot poorly, his overall performance was poor IMO.
    If the Heels play like they did tonight, I say they go home Sunday. Barnes spouted off to that ESPN dude, time to back it up or he'll be taking the plane to Chapel Hill.

First, why do you assume I think less of KM because I recognize Stilman's solid play?

He absolutley has intangibles. Along with, spunk, scrappiness, headiness...etc...he's a real gym rat makes good story. (que other white player analogies).
    But does he have a motor? :-P

There is a Rudy-esque quality to him. But you can't expect to come to a Duke board and have us drink the Stillman White Kool Aid...

They were overmatched in the post, as most teams have been against UNC.

Outside shooting has gotten better for the Heels, which it had to do, and is why they are winning these tough games, under adverse conditions.

Sweet sixteen games are rarely "easy" wins for anybody.

We need to give Ohio more credit.
    Ohio gave a great effort for who they were. Some gutsy three-point shooting and did a great job creating TOs, even if they didn't capitalize on them.

That doesn't change the fact that Ohio was absolutely terrible for a sweet 16 team. I mean... 55-27? Really? That's not high-major level of competition.

Stillman White was awful in that game. He took terrible shots that he didn't need to take and OU stopped guarding him outside. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being Kendall Marshall, Stillman White would be a 2.5. He can dribble.

The injuries have killed Carolina. That's all there is to it.

But does he have a motor? :-P

There is a Rudy-esque quality to him. But you can't expect to come to a Duke board and have us drink the Stillman White Kool Aid...
    The kool aid Duke fans should order is a recruiting success like White when the staff was under the gun...much like Duke is now for next season.

The kool aid Duke fans should order is a recruiting success like White when the staff was under the gun...much like Duke is now for next season.
    lol...what?

White was a 1-2 star recruit. Which position do we need one of those for, again?

Ohio gave a great effort for who they were. Some gutsy three-point shooting and did a great job creating TOs, even if they didn't capitalize on them.

That doesn't change the fact that Ohio was absolutely terrible for a sweet 16 team. I mean... 55-27? Really? That's not high-major level of competition.
    UNC's 42-22 rebounding advantage over Duke the last game was a big difference?

The kool aid Duke fans should order is a recruiting success like White when the staff was under the gun
    Hahahaha, that is truly funny Wheaties. Talk about some kool aid consumption. Are you eating cotton candy with it, too?

See Mullet's post for clarification.

I see several Blue Devil fans are chuckling.

Wheat - UNC's offense was horrendous. White didn't get ball to shooters in rhythm, he didn't feed the post, he couldn't make a shot, or penetrate. He had one nice defensive play and that was pretty much it. UNC is living on borrowed time...

lol...what?

White was a 1-2 star recruit. Which position do we need one of those for, again?
    He was a great find by the staff under the Drew situation. He's already exceeded expectations.

Excellent talent evaluation by the staff to fill a potential need that actually came about.

No, seriously, stop. I'm laughing too much. It's too late for this.
    Keep dreaming Wheaties, enjoy your Saturday chores!

UNC's 42-22 rebounding advantage over Duke the last game was a big difference?
    I mean, obviously that was a total and complete domination, aided by the fact that we were a terrible rebounding team at the guard position who often had our bigs out of position due to Marshall's penetration. You've outrebounded other very good teams by 10-15 before, and also been outrebounded by a couple of them.

But if you're going to rely on doubling up teams on the boards to the tune of 25+ to stay even from here out, I think you're going to be in trouble.

He was a great find by the staff under the Drew situation. He's already exceeded expectations.

Excellent talent evaluation by the staff to fill a potential need that actually came about.
    Okay, but... why are we praying to find our Stillman White again?

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Hahahaha, that is truly funny Wheaties. Talk about some kool aid consumption. Are you eating cotton candy with it, too?

See Mullet's post for clarification.

I see several Blue Devil fans are chuckling.
    Injuries have crippled this team, but they're still walking...

Stilman will shoot more against, It looks like now, KS. he'll have to.

Roy's game plan in this one was inside.