Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    That sucks. If he can't play, I don't see how the can beat a talented team. They will have four lottery front court players and virtually no ball handlers. Can't think of another team like it.

I couldn't watch it after the first half..

Did Stilman White come in and run the offense for the smurfs after Marshall was hurt ??
    How did he / or who ever ran the offense do ?
    Last edited by Rogue; 03-18-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    That's it for us. Just devastating. We can win another game, only because of the level of the competition, but it's hard to imagine we'll go any further if he is sidelined.

I don't know how it happened, and I doubt it was intentional, but Creighton was fouling HARD that game. See the video below. Watch the double fore-arm to Zeller's neck.

I understand that playing physical against UNC is part of every scouting report, but I do wish the refs had reined it in a bit. Again, I am not saying that Marshall's injury was the result of an excessively hard foul. But I'll be curious to see the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IYQ0...e_gdata_player
    UNC may be able to survive next weekend especially is KU were to get knocked off (as they have a history of). After that Marshall may be able to play the final four weekend??? All just conjecture at this point as we will have to wait and see what the next few days hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    I couldn't watch it after the first half..

Did Stillman White come in and run the offense for the smurfs after Marshall was hurt ??
    How did he / or who ever ran the offense do ?
    No, Marshall stayed in the game. Actually played very well after the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    UNC has a history of "over-hyping" injuries so it may not be as bad as is being reported right now.

Cue the tears from Ol' Roy in 3...2...1...

I'm pretty sure you can't "over-hype" a fractured wrist.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Here is data from Wiki FWIW. I will not speculate if he will play or not. Either way their chances of a title just took a huge hit.

Clinically patients present with snuff box tenderness.

Scaphoid fractures are often diagnosed by X-rays. However not all fractures are apparent initially. Therefore people with tenderness over the scaphoid (those who exhibit pain to pressure in the anatomic snuff box ) are often casted for 7–10 days at which point a second set of X-rays is taken. If there was a hairline fracture, healing will now be apparent. Even then a fracture may not be apparent. A CT Scan can then be used to evaluate the scaphoid with greater resolution. Fractures can take between 6 and 12 weeks of casting to heal. The Scaphoid receives its blood supply primarily from lateral and distal branches of the radial artery. Blood flows from the top/distal end of the bone in a retrograde fashion down to the proximal pole; if this blood flow is disrupted by a fracture, the bone may not heal. Surgery is necessary at this point to mechanically mend the bone together.

The use of MRI, if available, is preferred over CT and can give one an immediate diagnosis.[2] Bone scintigraphy is also an effective method for diagnosis fracture which do not appear on Xray.[3]

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    No, Marshall stayed in the game. Actually played very well after the injury.
    Adrenaline makes you not relize the severity sometimes...people will recall kyrie played in the game after his toe injury last year, before everyone realized how severe it was.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Here is data from Wiki FWIW. I will not speculate if he will play or not. Either way their chances of a title just took a huge hit.

Clinically patients present with snuff box tenderness.

Scaphoid fractures are often diagnosed by X-rays. However not all fractures are apparent initially. Therefore people with tenderness over the scaphoid (those who exhibit pain to pressure in the anatomic snuff box ) are often casted for 7–10 days at which point a second set of X-rays is taken. If there was a hairline fracture, healing will now be apparent. Even then a fracture may not be apparent. A CT Scan can then be used to evaluate the scaphoid with greater resolution. Fractures can take between 6 and 12 weeks of casting to heal. The Scaphoid receives its blood supply primarily from lateral and distal branches of the radial artery. Blood flows from the top/distal end of the bone in a retrograde fashion down to the proximal pole; if this blood flow is disrupted by a fracture, the bone may not heal. Surgery is necessary at this point to mechanically mend the bone together.

The use of MRI, if available, is preferred over CT and can give one an immediate diagnosis.[2] Bone scintigraphy is also an effective method for diagnosis fracture which do not appear on Xray.[3]
    Now that I've read this discussion of the type of injury, I'm wondering if it's going to entail similar healjng process that Gerald Henderson went through a few years back. He was able to play once it healed enough to wear a brace. Surgical repair took place in the off season.

I am obviously hoping that Carolina goes out soon, but really hate to hear this news.

Hope it heals competely (and hope it does while you're waiting to see where you go in the draft). But mainly hoping for a full recovery.

First, tough news for Marshall and for UNC. Hopefully he heals okay.

With regard to his play in the game afterward, he was terrific. However, I suspect two things play in here:
    1. Adrenaline lets you keep going. I played the entire second half of a game with a broken shooting hand. I even hit a 3. I though I'd just jammed a finger. Turned out I broke my 4th metacarpal (ring finger bone in the hand). It felt a bit painful but I could deal with it. It hurt like all get out when I got home that night and I had to get it casted the next day.
    2. Very likely nobody on the other team realized the severity of the injury. If they did, they'd have almost certainly overplayed his left hand (forcing him right, which would either cause him to give the ball up, dribble with his right hand, or expose the ball to the defender by dribbling with his left hand) and/or started fouling him on the bad wrist. It's the reason why NHL teams don't disclose the specifics on injury. If the other team knows where you are hurt, they'll test it for you.

For these two reasons, I'd be shocked if he's able to play effectively next weekend or even the following weekend. Even if he's able to play with a cast, good teams are going to force him to his right. And I just don't see how he can be effective going right with a cast on his broken wrist. It's just really hard to be an effective ballhandler/playmaker when the other team knows you only have one hand.

DBR headline reminds me eerily of the sentiment after boozer broke his foot. Hope it doesn't have same ending

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    That's it for us. Just devastating. We can win another game, only because of the level of the competition, but it's hard to imagine we'll go any further if he is sidelined.

I don't know how it happened, and I doubt it was intentional, but Creighton was fouling HARD that game. See the video below. Watch the double fore-arm to Zeller's neck.

I understand that playing physical against UNC is part of every scouting report, but I do wish the refs had reined it in a bit. Again, I am not saying that Marshall's injury was the result of an excessively hard foul. But I'll be curious to see the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IYQ0...e_gdata_player
    "If you can't beat 'em, beat 'em up" has been the mid-major game plan for years. Certainly against "soft" Duke teams - at least when the refs "let 'em play". Gets really old, really fast, too.

Hope Marshall can play with a soft cast.

-jk

As much as I can't stand UNC, it's awful for the players to get hurt. Good luck to Marshall and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Scaphoid fractures are typically treated with immobilization. If they aren't treated appropriately, they are notorious for leading to future arthritis and other chronic issues. It is his non-dominant hand, but my guess is he'll need to be casted.
    If I remember correctly, the scaphoid is not a particularly well vascularized bone and healing can be tricky. I think immobilization is key in a good recovery. Even in his non-shooting hand, Marshall probably won't be able to safely play with a scaphoid fracture. Obviously this is early with a lot of speculation, but I would think a scaphoid fracture would shut Marshall down for the tournament.

"Heels Win But Are Done"

I would NEVER use that as a headline until a scoreboard shows they are done.

A lot of time for a miracle heal. Won't believe he's NOT playing until I see him in civvies.
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-18-2012 at 10:11 PM.

The video of the incident can be found here:

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-ncaa-to...o-broken-wrist

It was not a particularly hard foul...he just landed on it wrong.

Wow. Toes injuries at Duke last year, now wrist injuries at UNC this year. Good luck to Kendall.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    The video of the incident can be found here:

http://www.sbnation.com/2012-ncaa-to...o-broken-wrist

It was not a particularly hard foul...he just landed on it wrong.
    Yeah, for those questioning Creighton's intentions, it really wasn't a dirty foul at all. Now, you can certainly question the earlier foul on Henson. But the Marshall foul was just an unfortunate accident.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the scaphoid is not a particularly well vascularized bone and healing can be tricky. I think immobilization is key in a good recovery. Even in his non-shooting hand, Marshall probably won't be able to safely play with a scaphoid fracture. Obviously this is early with a lot of speculation, but I would think a scaphoid fracture would shut Marshall down for the tournament.
    This is exactly right. If not treated appropriately, scaphoid injuries can lead to avascular necrosis, which is essentially permanent deterioration due to lack of adequate blood supply. It is possible he will play, but he/they will be playing with fire in risking long-term chronic issues for the sake of the here and now. This is the tournament, though, so I wouldn't be completely surprised if they found a way to keep him on the court.

Clint Jackson is also tweeting about surgical screws as if Kendall would be 100% after leaving the operating room after such a procedure. Not that simple. There is still significant healing that has to occur even after such a procedure and significant symptoms that linger for a while. Even if he were to play he would not likely play anywhere near his full capacity.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    First, tough news for Marshall and for UNC. Hopefully he heals okay.

With regard to his play in the game afterward, he was terrific. However, I suspect two things play in here:
    1. Adrenaline lets you keep going. I played the entire second half of a game with a broken shooting hand. I even hit a 3. I though I'd just jammed a finger. Turned out I broke my 4th metacarpal (ring finger bone in the hand). It felt a bit painful but I could deal with it. It hurt like all get out when I got home that night and I had to get it casted the next day.
    2. Very likely nobody on the other team realized the severity of the injury. If they did, they'd have almost certainly overplayed his left hand (forcing him right, which would either cause him to give the ball up, dribble with his right hand, or expose the ball to the defender by dribbling with his left hand) and/or started fouling him on the bad wrist. It's the reason why NHL teams don't disclose the specifics on injury. If the other team knows where you are hurt, they'll test it for you.

For these two reasons, I'd be shocked if he's able to play effectively next weekend or even the following weekend. Even if he's able to play with a cast, good teams are going to force him to his right. And I just don't see how he can be effective going right with a cast on his broken wrist. It's just really hard to be an effective ballhandler/playmaker when the other team knows you only have one hand.
    Good points CDu. Plus, players get hit/grabbed on the hand/wrist/arm frequently during games. Just the nature of the beast. It happened to Henson twice today, and even though he took offense, I did not think in either case the Creighton defender was intentionally trying to hurt the wrist. I would not be surprised if UNC sits him or plays him with a cast, but either way it's just going to be tough for him to be as effective as he has been injury free. Will likely affect his shot as well.

Tough loss and I hate it for Marshall. After enduring Friday night in Greensboro however, I will share zero sympathy with UNC fans. (Other than Chicago Heel, Closet Hurley and Wheat of course)
    Last edited by Newton_14; 03-18-2012 at 09:22 PM.