Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

A question about UNC in the wake of Marshall;'s injury

I'm not sure if this question falls under this tread or another one. Mods please feel free to move this if deem appropriate.

I'd love to get insight from posters on this question. If UNC does not win the tournament this year (most likely due to Kendall's injury), would Kendall, Barnes and Henson (or any combination thereof) come back to play at least one more year with the goal of trying to win a NC?

From reading other threads, there appeared to be chance that Kendall might leave early (especially since his draft stock appeared to rise due to his recent performances); and Barnes as well as Henson appear to be lottery picks at this point. Yet, if UNC falls short of winning the championship, do you think these guys will want to come back for another shot at it; and should they?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Only 95%?

T-shirt my office manager saw in Atlanta this weekend:

Front: What's worse than carolina basketball?

Back: A carolina basketball fan!

She regrets not having bought it for me.

(I'm keeping her on the payroll. For now.)
    I've got that shirt and wore it to the First round of the tourneys one year, but a slight clarification

It says

Front: The only thing I hate more than Carolina Basketball

Back: Are Carolina Fans

Quote Originally Posted by DBFAN View Post
    I've got that shirt and wore it to the First round of the tourneys one year, but a slight clarification

It says

Front: The only thing I hate more than Carolina Basketball

Back: Are Carolina Fans
    That's even better.

Got an extra?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    there seems to be a lot of different medical opinions on here..

i don't believe that roy would risk the kid's long term health, but i wonder if his dad or his peer group, coupled with his own competitive spirit will sway him to try.,..,.
    Let's assume he does play. How effective can he be with one hand? If he is limited to dribbling and passing with his left hand because his right wrist is braced, then it seems that he would be very easy to guard. Just overplay him to that side and force him to go right... basically take away his good hand. I just can't see how he could be effective, but maybe he will surprise us all.

Now if he is able to play with full motion in his right hand and it is not braced, then it would be the pain factor, but I cannot imagine under any circumstance that he would not be wearing a brace or cast on that wrist...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Let's assume he does play. How effective can he be with one hand? If he is limited to dribbling and passing with his left hand because his right wrist is braced, then it seems that he would be very easy to guard. Just overplay him to that side and force him to go right... basically take away his good hand. I just can't see how he could be effective, but maybe he will surprise us all.

Now if he is able to play with full motion in his right hand and it is not braced, then it would be the pain factor, but I cannot imagine under any circumstance that he would not be wearing a brace or cast on that wrist...
    So, I guess there is a bigger chance unc loses if marshall plays than if he doesn't? I agree most teams will take away his left hand and make him beat them going right. Seems to me his dad is not as concerned about his health & future as Kyrie's dad was for his. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I'm not sure if this question falls under this tread or another one. Mods please feel free to move this if deem appropriate.

I'd love to get insight from posters on this question. If UNC does not win the tournament this year (most likely due to Kendall's injury), would Kendall, Barnes and Henson (or any combination thereof) come back to play at least one more year with the goal of trying to win a NC?

From reading other threads, there appeared to be chance that Kendall might leave early (especially since his draft stock appeared to rise due to his recent performances); and Barnes as well as Henson appear to be lottery picks at this point. Yet, if UNC falls short of winning the championship, do you think these guys will want to come back for another shot at it; and should they?
    I don't think there is any way of knowing. Barnes indicated that if we won it all, he would go pro. But who knows what that means if we get eliminated prior to the Final Four. Both Barnes and Marshall talk about wanting to leave a legacy, or be "legendary" as KM puts it. I hope that means they want to stay at UNC and break as many records as possible. My guess is that Barnes and Henson are gone; Marshall's chances of staying I'd put at 50-50.

Everyone back with a vastly improved McAdoo filling the Zeller void and a genuine back-up point guard in Marcus Paige- seems like too much to ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    If he weren't braced, he would be at a greatly increased risk of reinjury and worsening the damage already done. Even with a brace he would be at significant risk. The pain medications he would likely need to make dribbling with that hand tolerable would probably cloud his sensorium and make him less effective in other ways. I honestly don't see a way he'll come back and be effective. That said, if he were to somehow do this effectively and become some sort of folk hero, I would be happy for him. He's a good kid. If he were my kid, though, I would not let him play, period.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    SURELY he had an mri prior to surgery...no?
    Well, since they knew the diagnosis immediately following the game, it had to have been seen on x-ray. That's what I was referring to.

Anyone think that this could be a very interesting weekend for ACC basketball?

If NC State could beat Kansas and UNC beats Ohio with or without Marshall, it sets up an fantastic scenario of UNC/NCSU for a trip to the Final Four. Granted, State has an uphill battle v. Kansas, but they are clearly peaking at the right time this season and playing with supreme confidence. After getting hosed against UNC earlier in the year, don't you think they would go full-bore against a UNC with either a backup PG or a hobbled one?

I'd LOVE to see the Pack back in the Final Four - makes the ACC stronger again. If they were to knock of the Tar Heels to get there - all the better!

At least it gives me something to root for this weekend other than #1 seed upsets.

I have not been overly impressed with the performance of Kansas lately. I'll pick State to win and UNC to beat Ohio without Marshall.
    I think we'll get to see UNC/State matchup one more time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    If he weren't braced, he would be at a greatly increased risk of reinjury and worsening the damage already done. Even with a brace he would be at significant risk. The pain medications he would likely need to make dribbling with that hand tolerable would probably cloud his sensorium and make him less effective in other ways. I honestly don't see a way he'll come back and be effective. That said, if he were to somehow do this effectively and become some sort of folk hero, I would be happy for him. He's a good kid. If he were my kid, though, I would not let him play, period.
    Yea any narcotic pain med would have CNS side effects like drowsiness, etc... an anti-inflamatory would have little to zero CNS effect, but would probably not be enough to cover the pain (depends on KM's pain threshold), and any regional block would numb his hand and that wouldn't work at all.

So the only way I can see him playing is with a brace and enduring a fair amount of pain... not sure a KM limited like that would be better than the alternatives... in fact I think he would be worse for the team, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. At this point it's all speculation of course. If they were to lose, I imagine their first instinct will be that they'll want to return and have another shot at it after being robbed by Marshall's injury (not to mention losing Strickland and McDonald). But after the dust settles, Barnes and Henson don't really have anything left to prove at the college level. They could have left LAST year and been lottery picks. By staying they're just losing a year that they could be earning an NBA salary. Zeller will be gone. Maybe it's just wishful thinking but I think they'll both go.

As for Marshall, I think it's possible that this injury forces him to stay. If he can't participate in the pre-draft stuff or work out for teams, that could hurt. He's shown enough that someone will probably draft him anyways, and there aren't many point guards this year, so I guess Chicago Heel's estimate of a 50-50 chance of him leaving is probably a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    I don't think there is any way of knowing. Barnes indicated that if we won it all, he would go pro. But who knows what that means if we get eliminated prior to the Final Four. Both Barnes and Marshall talk about wanting to leave a legacy, or be "legendary" as KM puts it. I hope that means they want to stay at UNC and break as many records as possible. My guess is that Barnes and Henson are gone; Marshall's chances of staying I'd put at 50-50.

Everyone back with a vastly improved McAdoo filling the Zeller void and a genuine back-up point guard in Marcus Paige- seems like too much to ask for.
    I would agree with you on Barnes and Henson. I think they're lottery picks now, and that's tough to pass up (certainly tough to pass up twice). Marshall is a different animal, in that he could come back and be the star on the team next year and maybe become a legendary player (is 15 points and 10 assists possible?). Where it gets interesting is Ford's ranking of McAdoo. If he's really a mid/high lottery pick right now, I can't imagine sticking around and risking getting exposed on a presumably weaker UNC team next year.

If UNC loses four starters and McAdoo to the draft, it'll be an interesting year next year for the Heels. They'd have decent guards/wings, but they'd be really young and shallow inside. Getting McAdoo and Marshall to return is a big key (assuming Barnes and Henson do join Zeller).

Just watched an interview with Roy on ESPN. Seems he is going with White/Watts and said " I am preparing to play 100% without Marshall".

He mentioned that White/Watts have filled the roll during the season and they will be practicing hard all week. He joked that other than those two, he could have Zeller bring the ball down and Henson offered to do the job too.
    He offered no new information on Marshall and answered all questions concerning him with " I just don't know".

So, it looks like we'll see how White and Watts hold up for a full game.

The impact of Marshall's injury on his draft status is very interesting. On the one hand the injury could hurt his status this year because he might not be 100% at the draft camps but on the other hand returning next year risks another injury or if unc is a weaker team due to other early entries, his game could be viewed under greater scrutiny. In other words, this injury could scare him into declaring. A unc team with only McAdoo as a legitimate big could negatively impact his assist number. Also, being called on to be more of a scorer could magnify some of his physical shortcoming. Then again, he could show a marked improvement in his outside shot and still get plenty of assists because a small unc team is forced to speed up the pace of play even more to negate their lack of size. And his biggest asset is his long (and accurate) fast break passes.

As for Barnes and Henson, returning just for the chance to win it all might seem like a bad bet after seeing all of the injuries that unc's guards have experience this year. Not only could one injury derail their title hopes (like Marshall's may this year) but could impact their own draft stock if they end up being the one injured. I think last years decision was partially based on trying to win a title and if it doesn't work out this year would you want to take the same gamble again?

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    If UNC loses four starters and McAdoo to the draft, it'll be an interesting year next year for the Heels.
    Has there been talk of McAdoo coming out? I hadn't heard that. It seems crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm just going by where he's currently being rated on draft sites (#7 according to Chad Ford). I have no idea whether he'd actually go pro. But typically Williams has recommended that lottery picks take the money and run when they are lottery picks. And it seems like an especially good idea in the case of McAdoo, who seems undersized for his NBA position (PF) and lacking in any one particular skill of note.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I can't remember which mock draft, but I saw him on one of them as high as 6th. (And this was on Sunday).
    I'll see if I can find it again. It might have been Hoops Hype or something like that.

This one has him 11th:
    http://www.mynbadraft.com/2012-NBA-Mock-Draft

Ah, found it.
    He is listed as 7th on Chad Ford's Big Board:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/draft

No surprises here. Playing with this type of injury in my view is ill advised. Big time sports, guys are supposed to play hurt; in the pros, it is all but demanded (actually, the "all but" might be incorrect). But, people need to take responsibility for their own well being, and being well in this life is far from easy. Playing with this type of injury makes it all too easy to fail to stand up against the pressures sports present, when you know that you don't belong on the court.

More importantly, when a college coach sends a student-athlete who IS NOT GETTING PAID out on the floor with a broken wrist, he better freakin not ever cry again on TV because "he is so sad for the kids." Hypocracy by any other name stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    I can't remember which mock draft, but I saw him on one of them as high as 6th. (And this was on Sunday).
    I'll see if I can find it again. It might have been Hoops Hype or something like that.
    If a Duke freshmen were ranked that high in a mock draft, and he returned to school, the Carolina folks would be talking about how K "manipulates" players to return (I'm sure they'd use even harsher language). Somehow, when UNC players return, it's because they have the righteous goal of becoming "legends."

As for this thread, I hope Kendall Marshall gets healthy and can play. That UNC loses with him playing well. And that they all go pro. Go Duke.