Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    I think Stillman White is not that bad... Serviceable for a full game? We'll see, but he has good quickness, and has taken good care of the ball in limited minutes. However, I think it takes a unique talent to run UNC's offense in an efficient way. And, personally I don't think White is a unique talent, but this is one hell of an opportunity for him. It will be fascinating to see if he can step up.

Get this man a shrink!

Tar Heels coach Roy Williams echoed that uncertain sentiment Monday night on his radio show.

"We can talk all we want to, 'if this' and 'if that' ... and that's just a bunch of darn (edited) waste of time. There's nothing else to talk about until we find out what the crap is going on, and then we'll talk about it."

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Get this man a shrink!
    Golly!

Doesn't ol'roy seem to be dropping more expletives this year than in previous ones? As if he's gettin' to be a ruffie-tuff stuff kind of guy...

Cuz y'know the pasty ones enjoy bashing K for his saltiness and temper, I was just wunderin' if huck is beginning to feel the strain a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    You guys are underestimating Stillman White.

Kid is undersized but has some quickness, vision and Barnes, Bullock, Henson and Zeller.

He's a little baller, and I really believe he's gonna surprise people.
    I agree. Stillman is a better shooter and is faster than KM. He will get the ball up court with foot speed vs the look ahead pass. I think KM gets exposed if he doesnt play. When UNC wins with Stillman everybody will say its a system vs the player. I dont think there is that much different than Stillman and KM.

I think KM is overrated. If he would have had to face the #1 pick 3 times last year everyone would be talking about how far away he is from playing at the next level. The best thing to happen to KMs career is Kyrie didnt get to abuse him 3 times. So I look for Stillman to take unc to the title.

This is the case if KM dont play. I still think nothing is wrong with him its Roy trying to pull an old Dean Smith sandbag trick.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Uh...

Gbinije didn't play due to a glut of wings and guards ahead of him. White didn't play because he's not very good.
    Exactly who are those wings ahead of Gbinije in the rotation? I'd say Gbinije didn't play because he was a freshman and still adjusting to the college game. White looked good in the limited role he played. This weekend will be when the rubber meets the road. Personally, I hope the young man succeeds, but I'm not a Carolina hater, I just find 95% of Carolina fans intolerable.
    Bob Green

The scaphoid is the worst bone in the wrist to injure. The blood supply to the scaphoid is provided by a single vessel, and therefore is easily compromised. Long-term outcomes from scaphoid fracture are best when the wrist and thumb are completely immobilized until the fracture heals completely. Therefore, thumb-spica casting is the standard of care.

In other words, if KM were not a basketball player but some other college kid who broke his scaphoid playing ultimate frisbee on the quad, he would be placed in a thumb-spica cast that completely immobilizes the fracture site. He would be told not to play intramural basketball. He would be told not to play any sports at all for at least six weeks.

Long-term outcomes from improperly treated scaphoid fractures are not good. This is well known because many times subtle fractures of the scaphoid are missed by inexperienced physicians. It is distressingly easy to end up with avascular necrosis of the scaphoid, which can leave a person with a life-long problem.

They may well trot KM out for another game before this is all said and done, but it's the wrong thing to do.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    UNC is giving every appearance that this is going to be a game-time decision, which is rather surprising.
    I'm beginning to think I've heard this tune before...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Exactly who are those wings ahead of Gbinije in the rotation? I'd say Gbinije didn't play because he was a freshman and still adjusting to the college game. White looked good in the limited role he played. This weekend will be when the rubber meets the road. Personally, I hope the young man succeeds, but I'm not a Carolina hater, I just find 95% of Carolina fans intolerable.
    Wings and guards...

Dawkins, Rivers, Curry, Thornton, Cook... there were just no minutes for Gbinije, right or wrong.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Isn't a wrist watch an impermissible benefit?

-jk
    Not at UNC-- if it's given to you by a tutor.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I guess we will see.
    I'll Stick my neck out and say he will score 8 with a three, probably six dimes and two steals,
    I certainly hope Wheat is right. I'm a little less optimistic and would take the under on each of those numbers. At least we can be reasonably comfortable that he will take care of the ball. He doesn't have that tendency to try to play too fast the way a lot of freshman do.

My bigger concern is defense. Marshall is not fast, but he's four inches bigger, almost forty pounds heavier, and has quick hands. I'm afraid opposing guards are either going to go up over WHite or right through him. Watts can play some D, but then we will be playing four on five on offense and you can expect defenses to collapse in on the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    I certainly hope Wheat is right. I'm a little less optimistic and would take the under on each of those numbers. At least we can be reasonably comfortable that he will take care of the ball. He doesn't have that tendency to try to play too fast the way a lot of freshman do.

My bigger concern is defense. Marshall is not fast, but he's four inches bigger, almost forty pounds heavier, and has quick hands. I'm afraid opposing guards are either going to go up over WHite or right through him. Watts can play some D, but then we will be playing four on five on offense and you can expect defenses to collapse in on the interior.
    So is your preference to split the PG duties between Watts and White, but have the offense initiated by Barnes more? Or to turn the keys over to White/Watts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    In the beginning of the season, the general consensus among DBR posters was UNC was going to be very good, but if anything happened to Marshall they'd be in big trouble. Now we have a decent chance to see if we were right.
    Based on the posts from the UNC supporters in this thread- it is clear they do not view Marshall as being critical to the team's success. White and Watts in some combination are apparently equal to Marshall or the difference is so small as to not matter. As we know- passing and floor vision are clearly overrated attributes.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    I agree. Stillman is a better shooter and is faster than KM. He will get the ball up court with foot speed vs the look ahead pass. I think KM gets exposed if he doesnt play. When UNC wins with Stillman everybody will say its a system vs the player. I dont think there is that much different than Stillman and KM.

I think KM is overrated. If he would have had to face the #1 pick 3 times last year everyone would be talking about how far away he is from playing at the next level. The best thing to happen to KMs career is Kyrie didnt get to abuse him 3 times. So I look for Stillman to take unc to the title.

This is the case if KM dont play. I still think nothing is wrong with him its Roy trying to pull an old Dean Smith sandbag trick.
    Are you joking, dukeballboy88, or do you really believe what you wrote in this post? You think Marshall is going to be 'exposed' if he doesn't play, UNC is going to win the national championship with Stillman White at point guard, and there is 'nothing wrong with him (Marshall)'? Umm, okay.

Well, I disagree with you on all counts. I don't see any reason to believe White is a national championship-level point guard. And Kendall Marshall is a rare talent in regard to court vision and getting the ball to the open man. He is the key to their success. Without a fully-functioning Kendall Marshall UNC will not win the national championship this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Based on the posts from the UNC supporters in this thread- it is clear they do not view Marshall as being critical to the team's success. White and Watts in some combination are apparently equal to Marshall or the difference is so small as to not matter. As we know- passing and floor vision are clearly overrated attributes.
    As is hitting open shots, creating your own shot and drawing fouls on drives to the basket. Totally overrated.

In fact... since UNC fans seem to think Marshall isn't all that necessary, please let him transfer to Duke.

there seems to be a lot of different medical opinions on here..

i don't believe that roy would risk the kid's long term health, but i wonder if his dad or his peer group, coupled with his own competitive spirit will sway him to try.,..,.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Long-term outcomes from improperly treated scaphoid fractures are not good. This is well known because many times subtle fractures of the scaphoid are missed by inexperienced physicians. It is distressingly easy to end up with avascular necrosis of the scaphoid, which can leave a person with a life-long problem.
    I agree with everything you said, except I just wanted to note that scaphoid fractures can be so subtle on that they're actually not visible on x-rays...regardless of the experience of the radiologist. We always put in our reports that if there's concern for a radioocult scaphoid fracture that the patient be immobilized and return in 2 weeks or just get a MRI. I would guess his wasn't so subtle. And I agree...we would not be having this discussion if he weren't a pro-like athlete.

SURELY he had an mri prior to surgery...no?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by coldriver10 View Post
    I agree with everything you said, except I just wanted to note that scaphoid fractures can be so subtle on that they're actually not visible on x-rays...regardless of the experience of the radiologist. We always put in our reports that if there's concern for a radioocult scaphoid fracture that the patient be immobilized and return in 2 weeks or just get a MRI. I would guess his wasn't so subtle. And I agree...we would not be having this discussion if he weren't a pro-like athlete.
    Thanks for the clarification. I know the fractures can be subtle. It's not uncommon for the primary care doc to say there's no fracture and then call the patient back the next day because the radiologist found the fracture. Your addition, that they can be subtle as to be missed even by an experienced radiologist, is helpful information. The fact that these are sometimes immobilized even without a visible fracture, and the patient brought back for an MRI to make sure a fracture isn't missed, is just further testimony to the fact that scaphoid fractures are not to be taken lightly.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Only 95%?

T-shirt my office manager saw in Atlanta this weekend:

Front: What's worse than carolina basketball?

Back: A carolina basketball fan!

She regrets not having bought it for me.

(I'm keeping her on the payroll. For now.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.