Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Post presence? If we somehow get Shabazz we won't need any. He's unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Good points here. I disagreed with Wheat a few months back for what I saw as overpraise for Strickland as a PG. But you and Wheat and the other EK posters definitely have watched him more consistently and carefully than I.

I continue to think Paige is the more "natural" PG, and remind all that Roy "blamed" [playfully, I think] Kyrie for Strickland's arrival in CH as insufficiently experienced at the position. But Strickland is surely far superior on D, plus he's a combo guard, so as you say, he's gonna play plenty.

I wouldn't "predict" anything like a repeat of the Drew-Marshall problem. Still, Paige is actually in a dicey spot, for he'll probably have to share the position with Strickland in 2012-'13, and then in 2013-'14 and 2014-'15 with highly-rated Nate Britt. Yes?

It's a good problem to have; unless it becomes a problem.
    Dex can run the offense, LMac at the two, Bullock at the three, McAdoo at the 4, James at the five.

Bench: Paige, PJ, Hubert, Tokoto...wildcard Oriakhi

That team will not be an easy win for anyone.

Paige/Britt should be no problem. Both have already commented publicly they look forward to playing together. And don't forget Hicks is coming with Britt too...

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Dex can run the offense, LMac at the two, Bullock at the three, McAdoo at the 4, James at the five.

That lineup kind of reminds me of this year's Duke team in that you've got some older guys who have been role players their whole careers and will have to make the transition to being starters. Then you've got some really talented guys but they're younger (McAdoo and James for UNC, Austin for us). So the questions that need to be answered are: can the older guys assume bigger roles? Can the younger guys maintain good chemistry while getting to show their stuff? And most importantly, who will provide leadership?

Much of the talk is about Barnes, but I think Marshall will be the best pro. Henson will have the cockiness knocked out of him after he tries a dunk or two against Dwight Howard and others.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Much of the talk is about Barnes, but I think Marshall will be the best pro. Henson will have the cockiness knocked out of him after he tries a dunk or two against Dwight Howard and others.
    I've been saying for a while Henson has the most upside. He's gonna impact the NBA on both sides of the court with his shot blocking, transition, and mid range face up game.

He's top half of the lottery.

He will have to get stronger, and work on ballhandling if he ever wants to be an elite player.

They came back this year, and made it all the way to the final eight teams. Nice run boys .

Paige/Britt should be no problem. Both have already commented publicly they look forward to playing together. And don't forget Hicks is coming with Britt too...
    Not an easy win for anyone? Least of all North Carolina.

But I disagree, I see them AT LEAST getting to double-digit wins...

You don't actually have to convince me.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    ... with both McAdoo and Oriakhi ... I...would put them top 7-8. Behind NCSt, if Calvin Leslie stays. And behind Duke, if Mason stays.

.... with McAdoo but not Oriakhi ... they might fall out of consensus preseason top 10, but not far.

If McAdoo leaves... Heels are in trouble.
    What happened to Johnson? Is James actually better?

No McAdoo, big trouble. You disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    They came back this year, and made it all the way to the final eight teams. Nice run boys .
    That's a bit like saying Kyle and Nolan came back and made it all the way to the Sweet 16, don't you think? Granted they weren't projected lottery picks, but still, even the most biased observer knows that UNC's season was derailed by injuries.

I agree. I see Marshall as having the best future in the NBA. Henson will have to bulk up BIG TIME to pound with the NBA bigs. I see him having many trips to the bench grimacing with a new boo-boo.

I'll be glad to comment on Duke's post presence, just as soon as they get some.
    Zing! Haha, this would be funny if it wasn't true

My greatest joy in all of this is that Marshall won't break Hurley's assist record. He seems to be the most worthy challenger in quite some time and with UNC's style of play, I think he had an excellent chance in four years. He's an excellent playmaker. It will be interesting to see if he is quick enough to make plays at the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I think this is more like what they were thinking...

Attachment 2504
    JP, you have to post that on Facebook. I mean with all the UNC@CH homer that constantly find you there...

I've been saying for a while Henson has the most upside. He's gonna impact the NBA on both sides of the court with his shot blocking, transition, and mid range face up game.

He's top half of the lottery.

He will have to get stronger, and work on ballhandling if he ever wants to be an elite player.
    The draft experts disagree with you. They see him going in the middle of the first round (on the fringe of the lottery). Top half of the lottery is the top 7 picks. I don't see him going ahead of Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Robinson, Sullinger, Beal, Barnes, Drummond, Zeller, or Perry Jones III, and there will be a team or two who takes a PG as a position of need.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The draft experts disagree with you. They see him going in the middle of the first round (on the fringe of the lottery). Top half of the lottery is the top 7 picks. I don't see him going ahead of Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, Robinson, Sullinger, Beal, Barnes, Drummond, Zeller, or Perry Jones III, and there will be a team or two who takes a PG as a position of need.
    Henson's role in the NBA isn't clear. I think he has to be a 4, because he's way too thin to be a 5, and he doesn't have the perimeter skills to be a 3 (remember 2010). He's also a very poor free throw shooter. He'll probably be a decent 4, but will have problems with many of the strong post players.

I think it hurts Henson that he's been in college for 3 years and really hasn't put on any significant strength. He's got a ton of talent and his defense is great, but the NBA guys have to look at him and think, "He's not 18 anymore, and he's not putting on any muscle...can he get the strength he's going to need to defend an NBA 4?" I think his upside remains huge - if he puts on some muscle and works on his mid-range game.

Agreed that Marshall may end up being the best of the 3 in the pros. He's not as strong as Jason Kidd (yet), but he's got the ability to become a player like Kidd - not super quick, offense is spotty, but such an amazing passer.

I'm not surprised these players are heading for the NBA, it's the way it is in today's game. Yea, we're bummed that we didn't get to see them compete for a championship without all the injuries to the team, but that's also the way it goes, sometimes.

I am actually looking forward to next year. Watching players develop is probably my favorite part of following college ball.

Joel James could be the key player if McAdoo decides to stay. I like what I see coming from him, a true back to the basket post player. He's a little raw, but has the size we want and his game looks to be a perfect fit for UNC.

Oriakhi would be an immediate help, of course, and let James develop slower, but if James has to play, UNC will have some post play.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hbDz1OfIpaI
    Hey Wheat, is he the next Bersticker?

Now wait a minute!

Didn't you read the Pigeon's quote on the illustrious NBA career he's going to have? Or did he mean illustrative since he will demonstrate the dangers of hype, self absorption, and hubris?

“I’m honored and blessed to have the opportunity to compete in the NBA,” Barnes said in a statement. “The love and respect I have for basketball fuel the drive toward my ultimate goal — to experience an illustrious career in the NBA.”

Read more: The Herald-Sun - Barnes Henson Marshall to enter NBA draft

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Didn't you read the Pigeon's quote on the illustrious NBA career he's going to have? Or did he mean illustrative since he will demonstrate the dangers of hype, self absorption, and hubris?

“I’m honored and blessed to have the opportunity to compete in the NBA,” Barnes said in a statement. “The love and respect I have for basketball fuel the drive toward my ultimate goal — to experience an illustrious career in the NBA.”

Read more: The Herald-Sun - Barnes Henson Marshall to enter NBA draft
    Lol, I know Barnes is a smart guy, but the word that comes to mind when I hear quotes from him..."tool". If he truely felt honored and blessed to compete in the NBA, eat some humble pie and stop talking about how good you are going to be...

Wheat, no disrespect at all (I value your perspective on UNC things), but that team does not strike fear into me. I do think Strickland and Bullock are nice pieces, and McAdoo clearly has a lot of talent. I think Hairston will have a nice year next year as well.

But UNC will almost never be an "easy" win for anyone. That said, I don't think they'll be a difficult win for most Top-10 maybe even Top-20 teams. Am I completely off base here (question directed at Wheat and everyone)?

To go from Zeller, Henson, Barnes, Strickland, Marshall (four legitimately great players) as a Top-5 team (I'll give them Top-3), to the team listed above...I mean, I'm not sold. That looks like a Top-25 team to me. Maybe I'm underselling them, I guess?

James: Completely unproven.
    McAdoo: Good player.
    Bullock: Nice, not great.
    MacDonald: Meh.
    Strickland: Nice, not great.

A bunch of young guys on the bench / no proven depth.

Feel free to tell me I'm living under a rock. But this does not seem like a surefire Top-3 ACC team given the up-and-coming squads around here. Let alone a team challenging for the ACC Championship as UNC is traditionally accustomed to.

If McAdoo doesn't come back...oh dear.

- Chillin
    Last edited by ChillinDuke; 03-30-2012 at 09:31 AM.