Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    J'Covan Brown is leaving. Makes sense, as he is probably going to graduate in May, has a kid, and his draft stock is pretty level at mid-second round. He's a potential instant offense off the bench for an NBA team, but, at least initially, more likely playing in Europe a la a kid like Jacob Pullen, who he compares favorably too.

Myck Kabongo, amazingly, is thinking about declaring. Even more amazingly, since this draft is bereft of point guards, he may actually be a first round pick. The kid has shown some talent, but struggled mightily as a freshman on defense and with his shooting. Worse players have gone pro. If Duke or UNC ever want to complain about kids leaving early, they just need to look over at Rick Barnes whose probably had the worst of it. Every single kid from the Toronto/Findlay Prep pipeline has been one and done if Kabongo leaves.
    Saw a little of Myck this year. Not bad, but not ready to go.

Now, if Trey Burke declares, that's a guy who could have an awesome couple of workouts and leap into the lottery. He was gooo-oood for Michigan the 2nd half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Ed Davis started 23/23 games his sophomore season. Then he broke something or another and missed the last few games.
    I was thinking about the 08-09 championship season, my bad, I actually remember when he broke his wrist. I believe it was around half-time of the Duke-Carolina game in 2010 in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Saw a little of Myck this year. Not bad, but not ready to go.

Now, if Trey Burke declares, that's a guy who could have an awesome couple of workouts and leap into the lottery. He was gooo-oood for Michigan the 2nd half of the season.
    Well, Burke was good until the last couple games of the year (both losses to tOSU and Ohio) in which he went a combined 6 for 26 from the field and 2 for 16 from 3. He's also right around 6'. Just hard to imagine him going lottery . . .

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    McAdoo is a rotation player who has shown little of his potential.
    Yes, and I believe I predicted that would happen last summer and fall, but was left on an island and drowned out by those who said he would be high impact from day 1. cough cough,

And in fairness CDu, I have no memory at all of what your predictions were for McAdoo, so not poking at you here, it just happened to be you who served me the fastball down the middle I was sitting on so I had to swing!

Sorry, I normally don't crow over predictions, just taking advantage of being right for once!

Now, back to your regular programming of kids with no chance in hell of being drafted giving up their college careers (There are 60 draft spots, last year over 90 underclassmen declared)

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ft-source-says

Kidd-Gilchrist to enter the draft per ESPN. No shocker there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Yes, and I believe I predicted that would happen last summer and fall, but was left on an island and drowned out by those who said he would be high impact from day 1. cough cough,

And in fairness CDu, I have no memory at all of what your predictions were for McAdoo, so not poking at you here, it just happened to be you who served me the fastball down the middle I was sitting on so I had to swing!

Sorry, I normally don't crow over predictions, just taking advantage of being right for once!

Now, back to your regular programming of kids with no chance in hell of being drafted giving up their college careers (There are 60 draft spots, last year over 90 underclassmen declared)
    No problem here. I can also lay claim to being on the right side of the equation. I wasn't terribly impressed with his loading up on breakaway dunks in an all star game with no defense, and said so on these boards.

2 more in

Syracuse soph Dion Waiters is in, as is Mississippi State jumbo Renardo Sidney. Waiters is a first rounder. Sidney, not so much.

UNC players declaring for draft?

don't want to monger, but i've had 3 tweets that action is taking place as i type...anyone got the inside low-low?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    don't want to monger, but i've had 3 tweets that action is taking place as i type...anyone got the inside low-low?
    Please post them in here!

A quick look at the open bball forum on IC doesn't show anything definite. But rumors are spreading that it may be all three today/soon. McAdoo's family has officially said he's considering his options as well. That's not terribly informative. But we can always hope.

A quick look at the open bball forum on IC doesn't show anything definite. But rumors are spreading that it may be all three today/soon. McAdoo's family has officially said he's considering his options as well. That's not terribly informative. But we can always hope.
    Shoot, let's guess it's either all 4 stay or all 4 leave. Roll the dice. Preseason overwhelming #1 or preseason NIT.

All 4 leave, Heels still have lots of good wingers ready to shine, a promising young PG to share that spot with combo Dex. Bigs are all projects for 2012-'13, so Heels live and die by the 3.

What's a late first round pick make over 3 years? If it's anywhere in the $4-6mm mark, I'd say it's tough to turn that down.

Let's say you make $6mm over 3 years, and your head is screwed on straight. After taxes and management fees, it's half. So, as a 25-26 year old, you have a base of $3mm to work with going forward. That would open a lot of possibilites in regards to making career type decisions. Again, as long as you are thinking clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Faison1 View Post
    What's a late first round pick make over 3 years? If it's anywhere in the $4-6mm mark, I'd say it's tough to turn that down.

Let's say you make $6mm over 3 years, and your head is screwed on straight. After taxes and management fees, it's half. So, as a 25-26 year old, you have a base of $3mm to work with going forward. That would open a lot of possibilites in regards to making career type decisions. Again, as long as you are thinking clearly.
    McAdoo won't go in the late 1st round. If he goes, he's apparently going to be a lottery pick.

As for the hypothetical late 1st round pick, I'm guessing it's around $2-2.5 million over 2 years (I believe the new rules cut guaranteed contracts to 2 years but the team can still extend you if they want to do so). Still really good money.

However, the concern with being projected as a late 1st round pick is that you may slip to the 2nd round. Slipping to the 2nd round means you don't have a guaranteed contract and could easily end up overseas or in the D-League with a tough road to climb to make it to the NBA.

If Barnes, Henson and Marshall all declare, that would put McAdoo in a pretty interesting position. On the one hand, with those guys gone, he would have the opportunity to be the main guy and get all the minutes and shots he could want. On the other hand he would be surrounded by young and less talented front court players while the team would be deep and experienced on the perimeter. This could force Ol'Roy to go small and to him having to play significant minutes at the 5, which would be less than ideal. Depending on how Hubert, Johnson and James develop (and I wouldn't expect too much), unc's best line-up could be McAdoo, Bullock, Hairston, Leslie and Strickland. That isn't your traditional unc line-up. They could certainly win a lot of games but would struggle against bigger teams. McAdoo guarding Reggie Johnson would be less than ideal!

Everything I am reading shows Zeller, Barnes, Henson, McAdoo and Marshall being drafted in the top 20. I have seen Mason listed as an end of first rounder with Rivers slated in the 15-25 range.

With any luck, all 4 UNC underclassmen jet and Mason stays!

McAdoo's dad apparently told IC that JMM is weighing his options but is likely to return to UNC. Not the smartest decision IMO if he really is a top 5 pick (see Barnes, Harrison or Davis, Ed) but he may really value being "the man" for UNC next year if the others leave.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    If Barnes, Henson and Marshall all declare, that would put McAdoo in a pretty interesting position. On the one hand, with those guys gone, he would have the opportunity to be the main guy and get all the minutes and shots he could want. On the other hand he would be surrounded by young and less talented front court players while the team would be deep and experienced on the perimeter. This could force Ol'Roy to go small and to him having to play significant minutes at the 5, which would be less than ideal. Depending on how Hubert, Johnson and James develop (and I wouldn't expect too much), unc's best line-up could be McAdoo, Bullock, Hairston, Leslie and Strickland. That isn't your traditional unc line-up. They could certainly win a lot of games but would struggle against bigger teams. McAdoo guarding Reggie Johnson would be less than ideal!
    I think having Barnes, Henson, and Marshall all go pro would make staying a bad idea for McAdoo. He's projected to go in the mid lottery. I can't imagine a scenario in which he improves upon that stock by coming back and playing for a lesser UNC team. Right now, he's got the strong play in the NCAA tournament and the lure of potential. Even if he plays pretty well next year I'm not sure he'll dramatically boost his stock. And if he struggles, his stock will fall.

That said, he may want the chance to be a star in college rather than a backup. So who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    IF McAdoo and/or Henson leave, I would have to think that Oriaki(spellcheck) would be the favorite to come in and fill the 4/5 slot. Who knows, maybe even Nerlins would reconsider UNC at that point with all of the potential frontcourt minutes available?

Also, I think it would interesting to see how Ol Roy adapts his team to all of the depth he will have in the backcourt while having potentially much less talent/depth up-front. Roy isn't exactly known for his flexibility.

I think having Barnes, Henson, and Marshall all go pro would make staying a bad idea for McAdoo. He's projected to go in the mid lottery. I can't imagine a scenario in which he improves upon that stock by coming back and playing for a lesser UNC team. Right now, he's got the strong play in the NCAA tournament and the lure of potential. Even if he plays pretty well next year I'm not sure he'll dramatically boost his stock. And if he struggles, his stock will fall.

That said, he may want the chance to be a star in college rather than a backup. So who knows?
    I think this is right on...the feeling I am getting, purely NBA draft-wise, is that the whole of the UNC 5 is greater than the sum of its parts. As many are saying, Marshall missing the last 2 rounds actually gave him a huge draft boost because they team was so much better when he played. With a weak PG class, he should definitely go. Who knows how Henson would be with Zeller gone - he should go. Barnes seems like he needs all of the above to look his best - he should go...and McAdoo, based on his first half against Kansas alone (and the Ed Davis/Josh McRoberts examples), should go.

According to Chad Ford's board at ESPN, McAdoo would go at #7 (under his assumption that Cody Zeller comes out, at #6, which I'm guessing probably won't happen). Moreover, he's got Bradley Beal at #3 and Andre Drummond at #5. It's not too hard to envision McAdoo passing Drummond over in the workouts, and NBA teams favoring a big man like McAdoo over a guy like Beal, who is a good player, but a bit undersized to be a true standout SG, and doesn't have PG skills. Under that scenario, McAdoo could go as high as #4.

NBA Draft.net had McAdoo #3 on their 2013 board. But, if he were to come out this year, it is hard to see how he would be slotted outside their top 10.

Honestly, if McAdoo were to come out, I see this playing out much like it did for Marvin Williams in 2005, where Williams was picked #2, ahead of guys like Felton, May and McCants who had all started (and starred) ahead of him at UNC, based solely on the comparative "upside."

McAdoo may well prefer to stay and be "the man" on next year's UNC team. But, if he comes out now, I think it's a pretty sure bet he's a top 7 pick, at worst top 10, and very likely to go top 5.

And, while it is obviously self-serving, I don't understand at all Mason Plumlee's apparently serious consideration of going. He's at 29 and 27, respectively, by Ford and NBA draft.net, and that is before any of the currently-unknown Euros who always crop up in the middle of the first round come in and knock him down a few more slots. It seems clear to me that Mason would fall out of the first round entirely. He'd be much better served staying another year and coming out next season into a much weaker draft.