Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, and I don't think there's a huge difference between a 990 score and a perfect 1000. As you said, it means we scored 99 out of a possible 100 points. If I'm understanding the calculation correctly, a player who successfully completes two semesters of school with the intent on returning the following year (or who graduates, or leaves for the NBA) earns four points (two for each semester). So out of 25 player-years there was one semester in which a player either didn't remain academically eligible or did not return. Not exactly an embarrassment. The NCAA minimum for a school is 925, which would be like 7-8 eight instances of this happening across 25 player-years.
    Here is the link that is relevant to Duke (see below) and some comments.

A student that is in good standing but does not return for the second semester earns 1 out of 2 points (Olek Czyz). This is case SA2.
    If the student athlete completes a year in good standing and then transfers that is case SA3 (Mike G) and earns 3 of 4 points. So Mike's transfer will count against Duke's APR in the future as does Olek's.

What is interesting is that there is no explicit case mentioned about leaving early to go pro, but this could be similar to SA3 so Kyrie and Austin would gain only 3 out of 4 points toward the APR or they may consider Kyrie and Austin as "graduates" and they gain 4 out of 4 points.

The overall message is that none of the Duke players left in poor standing (as far as we know) but the simple fact that Olek and Mike transfered counts against the APR.

This actually might be a "catch 22" for UConn. They can not play in the NCAAs next year due to a low APR. Most of their team is transfering so the APR will continue to be low.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArch...aa%2Bnews.html

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Here is the link that is relevant to Duke (see below) and some comments.

A student that is in good standing but does not return for the second semester earns 1 out of 2 points (Olek Czyz). This is case SA2.
    If the student athlete completes a year in good standing and then transfers that is case SA3 (Mike G) and earns 3 of 4 points. So Mike's transfer will count against Duke's APR in the future as does Olek's.

What is interesting is that there is no explicit case mentioned about leaving early to go pro, but this could be similar to SA3 so Kyrie and Austin would gain only 3 out of 4 points toward the APR or they may consider Kyrie and Austin as "graduates" and they gain 4 out of 4 points.

The overall message is that none of the Duke players left in poor standing (as far as we know) but the simple fact that Olek and Mike transfered counts against the APR.

This actually might be a "catch 22" for UConn. They can not play in the NCAAs next year due to a low APR. Most of their team is transfering so the APR will continue to be low.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/NCAANewsArch...aa%2Bnews.html
    While it appears that is how it's initially calculated for transfers, this below article (written by the NCAA) indicates that the NCAA makes adjustments on a student-by-student basis:

To ensure fairness in the academic performance program, the NCAA provides adjustments to APR for students who transfer with certain grade point averages and those who leave in good academic standing for professional athletics careers
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/2011-0...ow-improvement

I don't know what the "certain GPA" is, but since Mike was Academic All-ACC, I'm sure he meets the minimum and Duke won't be adversely affected.

694 student-athletes were granted APR adjustments for professional departures
    That's a lot larger number than I expected. Almost half in baseball. 74 adjustments for men's basketball, which also sounds like a lot given there are only 60 total picks in the NBA draft - I guess people go professionally elsewhere as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Very interesting. Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports says that Quincy Miller, despite previously announcing he would be returning to Baylor, will declare for the draft and hire Dwon Clifton (no surprise there) as his agent.

Big hit for Baylor as they lose Perry Jones III and Quincy Miller early
    Certainly could be an early indicator of NCAA sanctions/penalties for the Baylor Basketball program. If Quincy got wind of them, there would be no reason to stay another year.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Jordan must be half-drunk all the time down there.
    Well, not necessarily. It could be that he is fully drunk for half the time. Or a quarter drunk for three quarters of the time. There are many possibilities.

I truely believe based on my personal experiences in the military that to be a good to great leader, you must be a good to great servent. Never underestimate humility as a primary trait for effective leadership. Of course you want you leaders to be confident, but arrogance most ofter works against folks trying to lead.

I just do not see much humility at the top of the Bob Cats organization...

Now a good counter point would be Mark Cuban. Humble, ehhh... in his own way. Seems to create an enviornment where his players know he has their back, and will fight for them to the point of looking the fool sometimes. To me that is a unique form of humility...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    I truely believe based on my personal experiences in the military that to be a good to great leader, you must be a good to great servent. Never underestimate humility as a primary trait for effective leadership. Of course you want you leaders to be confident, but arrogance most ofter works against folks trying to lead.

I just do not see much humility at the top of the Bob Cats organization...

Now a good counter point would be Mark Cuban. Humble, ehhh... in his own way. Seems to create an enviornment where his players know he has their back, and will fight for them to the point of looking the fool sometimes. To me that is a unique form of humility...
    Humility is not being a shrinking violet, it is having perspective about self and things around self.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Humility is not being a shrinking violet, it is having perspective about self and things around self.
    Another trait of a great leader(imho) is being able to laugh at your self. I see that in Coach K and other great coaches. I do not see that in michael jordan. harrison barnes wants to be like mike and in that regard, he is just like mj. GoDuke!

Stoglin Gone

Per Goodman, Maryland loses their leading scorer.

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS
    Maryland sophomore guard and leading scorer Terrell Stoglin headed to the NBA, per multiple reports. --

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Per Goodman, Maryland loses their leading scorer.

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS
    Maryland sophomore guard and leading scorer Terrell Stoglin headed to the NBA, per multiple reports. --
    It's always fascinating to me when a writer doesn't hide his shock at the news he's reporting...This really is a baffling decision - and TOTALLY off the radar.

I like Turgeon, and I think he's gonna get that program back on its feet, but unexpectedly losing your leading scorer and best player? Quite a blow

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    This really is a baffling decision
    Less baffling now that Goodman is also reporting the both Stoglin and Mychal Parker, who is transferring, were suspended for a year by the school

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    Maryland announced that Terrell Stoglin and Mychal Parker have been suspended for year due to violation. Stoglin put name in for NBA Draft.

If I were Turgeon I wouldn't be crying too much about the Stoglin departure. He is very talented at basketball, but it seemed to me that his talent wasn't worth the aggravation.

Can Stoglin still come back if he goes undrafted? Or did they change that rule? If so, then it kind of makes sense for him to go ahead and put his name in.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Can Stoglin still come back if he goes undrafted? Or did they change that rule? If so, then it kind of makes sense for him to go ahead and put his name in.
    No, that rule has long been gone. Since he declared after the April 10 deadline, he is irrevocably entered into the draft and has waived his remaining collegiate eligibility. Stoglin (along with the Kentucky guys, Leslie, and several others) are evidence that the April 10 NCAA deadline was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I'm not sure why Beal is getting so much love. He is a good player and I know that he is supposed to be a better shooter than he showed this year but his numbers don't jump out to me and we wasn't the best player on a ok team. Rivers on the other hand was the best player on a pretty good team. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I'm not sure why Beal is getting so much love. He is a good player and I know that he is supposed to be a better shooter than he showed this year but his numbers don't jump out to me and we wasn't the best player on a ok team. Rivers on the other hand was the best player on a pretty good team. Am I missing something?
    Scroll down to my post (#106 in this thread). There's some good discussion of Beal vs. Rivers in there.

My take is that Beal has a more NBA-ready body and is a little better athlete. Their numbers this past season were nearly identical, but Rivers dominated the ball more.