Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Per Jeff Goodman, Trey Burke is leaving Michigan for the NBA

I love airowe's (@dukehoopblog) tweet on the situation

Welp, looks like Mitch McGary won't have to set screens next year as he won't have any teammates.
    Burke was so important to their success this season. Interesting to see how they do next year.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Per Jeff Goodman, Trey Burke is leaving Michigan for the NBA

I love airowe's (@dukehoopblog) tweet on the situation

Burke was so important to their success this season. Interesting to see how they do next year.
    That would change the outlook substantially. Burke really made that offense go. If he stays in the draft, he'll really be missed. They'll rely on Hardaway Jr a LOT to stay afloat offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That would change the outlook substantially. Burke really made that offense go. If he stays in the draft, he'll really be missed. They'll rely on Hardaway Jr a LOT to stay afloat offensively.
    So you're saying they'll shoot a lot of 3s...

I read that Tim hardaway jr is also thinking about declaring...Does anybody think mitch mcgary will decommit? maybe watzone or airowe

I think Sullinger leaving OSU probably sends Parker to Ohio State. Hopefully I'm wrong, but Parker sees himself certainly as a Sullinger type talent, even if I doubt he's on that level. We'll see, but I'd be more surprised to see Parker now than Bazz. At least we have a 1 in 3 shot at him as opposed to being 1 in 6 or however many schools he's left on his list. I'd love to add em both and keep Mason, but we'll see. I certainly don't think we see much movement with transfers or recruits until Mason kind of decides what he's going to do, so we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I think Sullinger leaving OSU probably sends Parker to Ohio State. Hopefully I'm wrong, but Parker sees himself certainly as a Sullinger type talent, even if I doubt he's on that level. We'll see, but I'd be more surprised to see Parker now than Bazz. At least we have a 1 in 3 shot at him as opposed to being 1 in 6 or however many schools he's left on his list. I'd love to add em both and keep Mason, but we'll see. I certainly don't think we see much movement with transfers or recruits until Mason kind of decides what he's going to do, so we'll see.
    Well OSU will probably bring back Thomas and they still have Amir Williams who was #50 player (RSCI) last year. From what I read in that ESPN article, he would know about Amir so it isn't like he wouldn't have to compete there although it'd be less competition than if Mason stayed. I think Memphis would have been a lock for TP but they just get killed by being in C-USA. With Cal, they were top 10 and on national TV quite a bit, this year, I hardly remember seeing them and I think TP wants to go somewhere he can showcase his skills. Although if TP goes there and Thomas stays, it probably helps us with Amile.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    I haven't seen where Parker has made that type of statement. Similar body type to Sully, but I don't think Parker has stated anything like that. Per the Memphis board, Parker's dad stated this afternoon that Tony had cut his list down to Duke, UCLA, and Memphis. His dad then texted the Memphis blogger back and retracted the statement, but seems like that was an unintended slip. If dad was on the up and up then Kansas and OSU have been eliminated.

Also, don't lose sight of the fact that his parents seem to favor Duke. That's not something to dismiss. We should know in 7 days I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    Well OSU will probably bring back Thomas and they still have Amir Williams who was #50 player (RSCI) last year. From what I read in that ESPN article, he would know about Amir so it isn't like he wouldn't have to compete there although it'd be less competition than if Mason stayed. I think Memphis would have been a lock for TP but they just get killed by being in C-USA. With Cal, they were top 10 and on national TV quite a bit, this year, I hardly remember seeing them and I think TP wants to go somewhere he can showcase his skills. Although if TP goes there and Thomas stays, it probably helps us with Amile.
    Memphis is moving to the Big East starting the 2013-14 season.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Memphis is moving to the Big East starting the 2013-14 season.
    I'm aware but that is still a year away and not sure if TP wants to try and be one and done. Additionally, it remains to be seen what the Big East will be with Temple and Memphis replacing two of its best programs in the past 5-10 years. Louisville seems to be back but Uconn and Calhoun might struggle to recover from this APR thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    I'm aware but that is still a year away and not sure if TP wants to try and be one and done. Additionally, it remains to be seen what the Big East will be with Temple and Memphis replacing two of its best programs in the past 5-10 years. Louisville seems to be back but Uconn and Calhoun might struggle to recover from this APR thing.
    I'm fairly confident that the Big East will continue to roll as a big time basketball conference. Temple and Memphis are both storied programs and life will go on without Pitt and the Cuse.

Now if Mr. Parker actually has thoughts of being a one and done, then what better place to do it than at Duke.
    Just about every game is televised on ESPN, we play in marquee early season tournaments, and we usually have several games in major media markets every year.

Now if Mr. Parker actually has thoughts of being a one and done, then what better place to do it than at Duke.
    Just about every game is televised on ESPN, we play in marquee early season tournaments, and we usually have several games in major media markets every year.
    If Parker wants to be one and done, he'll need more than the 15 to 20 mpg he'd probably get at Duke next season.

I'm fairly confident that the Big East will continue to roll as a big time basketball conference. Temple and Memphis are both storied programs and life will go on without Pitt and the Cuse.

I'm not so sure it will go on nearly as smoothly. Temple is a nice program but not nearly the level of Pitt or Syracuse. Perhaps the BE will help with recruiting but they did miss the tournament for 6 straight years from 2002-2007. They will also be without their 5 top scorers from this year when they enter BE play. Not to say people won't develop but Temple seems like a very good A-10 team year in and year out who puts it together every 4-5 years when they get a core group of juniors and seniors. Their recruiting classes are underwhelming for the BE and they do have a transfer from WVU who transferred b/c he didn't thrive under Huggins and didn't really fit the BE style.

Memphis is a solid team but it will be fun to watch them play the rigors of a tougher conference. That said, losing Pitt and Syracuse and gaining Temple and Memphis is a net loss. They have some programs on the rise again like St. Johns but they lose two programs who just reload and unless teams like Nova, Providence, WVU, Depaul, Seton Hall, Cincy, or Marquette can get more consistency, the ACC may pass the BE as the best basketball conference.

As far as Parker, I don't think he can be one and done at Duke unless he pulls like a McAdoo and gets drafted on potential but it is amazing Duke doesn't get more players b/c of their TV exposure or perhaps that is why they do get the recruits they do. Only 3 games weren't on national TV this year with 2 being on ACCN and 1 on RSN. I know I only go out of my way to watch Duke games but the Pac12 was abysmal with getting on TV this year, Memphis gets on CBS Sports but not nearly as much as Duke is on ESPN. Heck, I would doubt any team is on national TV as much as Duke. Kinda ironic that Duke gets on TV probably as much for its haters as its fans yet that is probably one reason recruits choose Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    If Parker wants to be one and done, he'll need more than the 15 to 20 mpg he'd probably get at Duke next season.
    Not sure about this... the NBA is all about potential. If he seems to be a talented big, he very well could go in the draft if he only averaged 10-15 mpg IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Not sure about this... the NBA is all about potential. If he seems to be a talented big, he very well could go in the draft if he only averaged 10-15 mpg IMO...
    Yes. And since I view Kedsey as being right about 90%+ of the time, I figure I'll pile on at the rare chance of his being wrong.

Being relegated, as a freshman, to 15-20 min by Mason (a senior I suspect will improve significantly as senior big men at Duke [and elsewhere] so often do) and Kelly (another senior, very long, All-ACC type player who is probably a better college than NBA type) is no evidence that Parker couldn't be a very legit NBA player and first round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    Yes. And since I view Kedsey as being right about 90%+ of the time, I figure I'll pile on at the rare chance of his being wrong.

Being relegated, as a freshman, to 15-20 min by Mason (a senior I suspect will improve significantly as senior big men at Duke [and elsewhere] so often do) and Kelly (another senior, very long, All-ACC type player who is probably a better college than NBA type) is no evidence that Parker couldn't be a very legit NBA player and first round pick.
    That may in fact be true, but I'd be surprised if most players felt that way. Context is important as well. McAdoo arrived at UNC as one of the very top prospects in basketball. Tony Parker will arrive at his school as a very good one but not at that ultra-elite level. It's going to be much harder for a player rated 20-30 to play limited minutes and put himself in draft position than for a top 10 guy playing behind established lottery guys to do so. Pedigree matters.

That said, I've not heard anything from Parker to suggest he views himself as jumping after freshman year, so this debate is probably academic.

Disagree

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    For once, I disagree. I'd say the quality of Parker's play is all that will determine if he's one and done. As you've noted before,however, Parker's ratings suggest he's not a one-and-done talent.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    As you've noted before,however, Parker's ratings suggest he's not a one-and-done talent.
    And that is what I was alluding to. I didn't mean that no prospect could get drafted after one year of getting 15 to 20 minutes a game. I meant Tony Parker probably won't be able to get drafted after one year of getting 15 to 20 minutes a game. If he doesn't get a lot of minutes, he won't accumulate big numbers and the NBA folks will worry about his conditioning and work ethic (fairly or not). He'll be labeled a project with potential and told to go back to school.

Or I could be wrong. It happens, I don't mind it so much.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Well as much as I'd love to hate that, I can't. Any player that stays in school has all my respect.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well as much as I'd love to hate that, I can't. Any player that stays in school has all my respect.
    From Goodman's twitter feed...

"GoodmanCBS: UNC just released statement that James Michael McAdoo is returning. That makes the Tar Heels Final Four contenders."

While I'm thrilled McAdoo will be back, and think it's the right decision for him, I'm not as optimistic as Goodman. We'll need a lot of good outside shooting and significant contributions from James and Paige to sniff the FF.