Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    You may well be right, but there is a long ways to go with early entries and undecided recruits. It's all relative. UNC may look down, but you can't know how bad it will be until you look at the competition.

Big12 examples: At the end of 2011, Missouri was one of the last teams in the tournament, got spanked by Cincy in the 1st round by almost 20, lost their head coach and their 2nd best player to injury. CBB was so bad in 2012 that the same team went 30-5 and got a #2 seed, with no new players and no bench. This is arguably Bill Self's least talented team in his time at KU, and they are in the Final 4.

I have not seen any early 2012-13 Top 25 lists, but I doubt there are any juggernauts.
    Yes, but I can dream can't I? I never count the baby blue out until they are out. 2009-2010 was in many ways one of the best years of my life!!!

Yes, but

You may well be right, but there is a long ways to go with early entries and undecided recruits. It's all relative. UNC may look down, but you can't know how bad it will be until you look at the competition.

Big12 examples: At the end of 2011, Missouri was one of the last teams in the tournament, got spanked by Cincy in the 1st round by almost 20, lost their head coach and their 2nd best player to injury. CBB was so bad in 2012 that the same team went 30-5 and got a #2 seed, with no new players and no bench. This is arguably Bill Self's least talented team in his time at KU, and they are in the Final 4.

I have not seen any early 2012-13 Top 25 lists, but I doubt there are any juggernauts.
    UNC is hampered by the fact that it will have the same coach next year.

Well, depending on who leaves UK and who else they sign (Muhammad? Noel?), there could be one.

seriously, if Mcadoo is seeing those guys walk out the door, and he's getting info that he's a high lotto pick, WHY would he stay?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    UNC loses a lot next year, but it's hard to imagine a team losing more than we did last year.
    We definitely lost a lot last year, and if you look at the last two years we've especially lost a lot. But I think how much you lose is less important than how much you have left. In theory, if you have 10 lottery picks on your team and you lose 5, then you've lost a lot but you're still in good shape.

In my opinion we had more talent and experience in 2011-2012 than UNC will have in 2012-2013 as things currently stand.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    seriously, if Mcadoo is seeing those guys walk out the door, and he's getting info that he's a high lotto pick, WHY would he stay?
    Tarheels do weird stuff...

Historically speaking, I think only one UNC player in the true early entry era has turned a sure-fire spot in the top-10 of the draft to come back to school (Barnes). And he only did it because he had some overinflated need to "push his legacy." McAdoo might do the same, but it'd be bucking a long tradition of UNC players making that jump.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Well, depending on who leaves UK and who else they sign (Muhammad? Noel?), there could be one.
    Yeah, I expect UK to just reload. I have no doubt that they'll get at least one the top remaining SF (Muhammad and Pollard) and one of the top remaining big men (Noel and Bennett). And that will go with Poythress (who looked really good) and Goodwin (who looked sort of good), Cauley (a 6'11" top-50 recruit), Harrow, and whomever they get back from this year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Historically speaking, I think only one UNC player in the true early entry era has turned a sure-fire spot in the top-10 of the draft to come back to school (Barnes). And he only did it because he had some overinflated need to "push his legacy." McAdoo might do the same, but it'd be bucking a long tradition of UNC players making that jump.
    How high was Davis predicted to go? I thought he was a likely lottery pick.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    How high was Davis predicted to go? I thought he was a likely lottery pick.
    Anthony Davis is predicted to go #1.

Hubert Davis has used up his NBA eligibility.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Anthony Davis is predicted to go #1.

Hubert Davis has used up his NBA eligibility.
    He's talking about Ed Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I'll be glad to comment on Duke's post presence, just as soon as they get some.
    I'd say Henson declaring was a pretty nice post present for Duke.

MacAdoo would make it post presents.

The Black Pigeon never found the post.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

...What happened to Johnson? Is James actually better?

No McAdoo, big trouble. You disagree?
    Brice Johnson is projected to be a pf/sf and is said to be very talented, but he's long and thin, similar to Hubert but with more offensive potential. He will likely need some time to develop.

James is a center. A true back to the basket low post kind of player, think a 6'10" Haywood. He will camp on the block. His body is way more mature than Johnson's,and he is strong. When Roy signed him after missing on his first three post choices, Arizona's Tarczewski, Michigan's McGary, and Iowa's Woodbury, James weighed around 280lbs and people were concerned because he had not played organized ball but a couple of years.

People tell me he's now under 250lbs and really working hard and focused. Likes to be coached and may be a diamond in the rough, we'll see.

I've only seen the YouTube stuff, but he has some power, quickness, toughness and touch. His hands look like they could be a little "hard" on his catches from what little I've seen, so that may be a concern. His videos show him with good fundamentals, like not bringing the ball down, and decent footwork.

I think people are underestimating LMac. His star was rising when he got hurt, and he's got game. Players were raving about his summer play. And Bullock, he's gonna play in the NBA one day. I'd bet he's gonna come back way more confident and improved.

PJ Hairston still has a lot of potential too. His shooting as a freshman did not live up to expectations, but he played solid defense and was a surprisingly strong rebounder. If he finds his shooting groove as a soph, he'll be a impact player.

I don't care what we saw this year, McAdoo is going to be a stud. He was under the radar early, but his athleticsism is for real at 6'9" 225 lbs. If he becomes the go to player, he will shine.

If McAdoo bolts, UNC is unlikely to challenge for the ACC title. With MacAdoo, I think they are in the hunt.

Because he can become a much better player with another year in the UNC system, which will improve his long term NBA potential...not to mention the McAdoo "brand".

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post

I don't care what we saw this year, McAdoo is going to be a stud. He was under the radar early, but his athleticsism is for real at 6'9" 225 lbs. If he becomes the go to player, he will shine.

If McAdoo bolts, UNC is unlikely to challenge for the ACC title. With MacAdoo, I think they are in the hunt.
    In seven post season games, McAdoo averaged 10.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. That's not shabby. I hope he goes to the NBA, but if he returns, I agree with Wheat, he will shine.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    In re-reading, I hope my post didn't come across as calling you out or that I was trying to brag. I'm probably running a similar risk with Sulaimon this year as you with McAdoo... I don't necessarily think you are wrong about McAdoo moving forward. He certainly has the size and athleticism to be a star next year if he returns. So I think we agree on the potential, just perhaps not on the likelihood of realization.
    No, no, I didn't take your post as calling me out. But it would be fine if you or anyone else had called me out, for I was very high on McAdoo. Really, it would hardly be unfair for someone [you, any other poster] to jab someone [me] a little for predicting McAdoo as #2 frosh after Anthony Davis! I was wrong, period.

I can't claim he realized his potential this year. I think it likely he will; you're still skeptical. Fair enough. There's some irony in my being pleased that McAdoo played a bit more, and somewhat better, toward the end of the season. Why the hell would I be pleased that this kid was helping the Heels? Because I didn't want to think I was totally wrong on him. It's just conceivable that I had my priorities somewhat confused.

To matters more pleasant: On Sulaimon, I'm with you, risky or not. Back last summer, I saw him 2 or 3 times in all-star games, was really happy he's our guy, and thought, he's underrated. Subsequently, the recruiting gurus pushed him higher. [Maybe that's what happened: I think, Sulaimon's good; gurus say, Sulaimon's good; I think, "I'm a guru, and McAdoo's great!" Downhill from there.] Sulaimon's game the other night was second only to Muhammad's. Many posters are now, and may have been for awhile, gushing about Sulaimon, and plausibly so. Smart smarts, multi-skills on O, including handle, shooting, driving, and passing, willing D.

Back to thread relevance: James Michael, take some of Harrison's money and run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    In seven post season games, McAdoo averaged 10.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. That's not shabby. I hope he goes to the NBA, but if he returns, I agree with Wheat, he will shine.
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. The kid will be a very strong player for UNC if he stays next season. And, as much as it pains me to say this, I also agree with Wheat that McAdoo is the key to whether or not UNC challenges for the ACC title next year. If he's there, they won't take the huge hit many people here may think they'll take. But if he goes...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    I'd say Henson declaring was a pretty nice post present for Duke.

MacAdoo would make it post presents.

The Black Pigeon never found the post.
    So does this mean Barnes wasn't a carrier pigeon?

whats missing

for McAdoo next year (if he does return) is Marshall, it's easy to score under the basket when your pg is drilling pin point passes to you. With Paige he's (McAdoo) not going to get those perfect passes the team was getting this year. Paige will be a decent pg until Britt arrives, i'm not sure Roy can play both together so one will have to sit but that's carolina's problem and that won't be until 2013/14.

UNC was a good team this year, but they were no juggernaut, even if they had been fully healthy. The reason is that they simply couldn't shoot three's well enough. Shooting the three is an essential part of an efficient offense in college basketball (Duke had a more efficient offense this year). I would bet that Hairston (the Heel, not the Devil) and Bullock will both be better from range next year and might make up for the drop off they're sure to have in the post after losing Zeller. If I were a Heels fan, I'd be more concerned with UNC's defense, which has been very good the past few seasons. Henson and to a lesser extent Zeller were mistake erasers on the defensive end. Barnes would never have been confused with Battier on D, but his length alone was usually an advantage. Finally, their rebounding was good at limiting second chance points. I could draw some parallels between next year's Heels team as it stands and this past year's Duke team. There are enough people who can score to keep the team competitive offensively. Defensively, however, they face far more questionmarks.