Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Fab Melo is entering the draft, which is not surprising given his eligibility issues.

Huge boost for UNC for getting McAdoo back. I agree the Final Four is a pretty lofty prediction for them given how young they'll be, but you never know what will happen by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    From Goodman's twitter feed...

"GoodmanCBS: UNC just released statement that James Michael McAdoo is returning. That makes the Tar Heels Final Four contenders."

While I'm thrilled McAdoo will be back, and think it's the right decision for him, I'm not as optimistic as Goodman. We'll need a lot of good outside shooting and significant contributions from James and Paige to sniff the FF.
    You guys are a shoo-in for the NIT Final Four.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

"GoodmanCBS: UNC just released statement that James Michael McAdoo is returning. That makes the Tar Heels Final Four contenders."

While I'm thrilled McAdoo will be back, and think it's the right decision for him, I'm not as optimistic as Goodman. We'll need a lot of good outside shooting and significant contributions from James and Paige to sniff the FF.
    Yeah, have to agree Goodman is hitting the UNC Koolaid hard with that statement. McAdoo helps, but he is the only returning big with experience. He also had the luxury of playing along side either Zeller or Henson at all times this year, with those guys drawing all of the attention. It's a different deal when you are the focus of the other teams defense. Ed Davis found the going tough in that same scenario his 2nd season. McAdoo is a freak athlete, who is a good rebounder and put back guy at this point. Needs to improve his shooting, his defense, and post moves. He will have to do that being the absolute focus of the defense. I think he will do well, but it is a huge step up in both minutes per game, and the fact he will be the target.

UNC will be a good team, and it really depends on Paige, and the 2nd big on the floor with McAdoo. Roy may have to play Bullock at the 4 spot to get his five best offensive players on the floor. Roy prefers playing 2 bigs, his five best offensive players, and a frantic pace. That may be difficult this season given the personnel. Still a Top 25 team at worst though.

How much is Paige's injury likely to set him back? This might be a bigger issue for an incoming freshman than it would be for a returning player, since he may miss early time learning the UNC system. Certainly missing some early time because of his knee seemed to be a bit of an issue for Quinn Cook this season. But I don't have a very good idea how long stress fractures take to heal.

I hope the hype keeps mounting. The heels might be the kind of team that starts slow but gets much better as they learn to play together. However, if the players start believing in the off-season hype, the implosion could be wonderous.

Yeah, I really don't think some of these guys pay attention to who is leaving and how much that matters. To say that UNC is a Final Four contender is to look at the name on the front of the jerseys rather than the names on the back, in my opinion.

McAdoo is a huge addition. But he's still very unproven, as are the returning perimeter players. It's certainly possible that McDonald, Hairston, and Bullock can provide enough fire power to offset the losses of Barnes, Henson, and Zeller as scorers. But that's not something I'd assume will happen. And I'm not sure I see Strickland and Paige offsetting the loss of Marshall.

The three most important pieces of this year's UNC team were Marshall, Zeller, and Henson. They don't have anyone to replace the size and scoring that Zeller provided and they don't have anyone to provide the defense/shotblocking, rebounding, and scoring that Henson provided. And I don't think that Strickland and Paige can do what Marshall did.

It's a very good team, but I think a lot of things have to go right for them to be a Final Four team. They don't have anyone on that team that is a matchup nightmare, which is in stark contrast to this past season.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Yeah, have to agree Goodman is hitting the UNC Koolaid hard with that statement. McAdoo helps, but he is the only returning big with experience. He also had the luxury of playing along side either Zeller or Henson at all times this year, with those guys drawing all of the attention. It's a different deal when you are the focus of the other teams defense. Ed Davis found the going tough in that same scenario his 2nd season. McAdoo is a freak athlete, who is a good rebounder and put back guy at this point. Needs to improve his shooting, his defense, and post moves. He will have to do that being the absolute focus of the defense. I think he will do well, but it is a huge step up in both minutes per game, and the fact he will be the target.

UNC will be a good team, and it really depends on Paige, and the 2nd big on the floor with McAdoo. Roy may have to play Bullock at the 4 spot to get his five best offensive players on the floor. Roy prefers playing 2 bigs, his five best offensive players, and a frantic pace. That may be difficult this season given the personnel. Still a Top 25 team at worst though.
    I agree with everything else in this post (and would say they're a top-15 team) except the bolded part. I think McAdoo is a very good athlete, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's freakishly athletic.

mcadoo's return

It certainly does help Carolina and puts them in the mix for the top of the ACC. But Final Four -- after losing their four most productive players? I think that's wa-a-a-y over the top.

UNC next year will be a lot like Duke in 2012 -- that have a lot of good role players returning, but no go-to guys. Who is going to raise his game to superstar level? McAdoo is probably the best candidate -- but I haven't seen him create his own shot. So far, he's proven to be a great receiver and finisher for Marshall's passes, but Marshall is not there this year. Bullock? He averaged a solid-but-not great 36 percent on 3's, but that was with Zeller-Barnes getting most of the defensive attention. Hairston was 31 percent. McDonald was a good-bot-great 38 percent a year ago. Strickland is a good defender, but has no offensive game. Maybe Tokoto, but there was reason he was a borderline tiop 50 player. There's Paige, who was rated about where Cook was last year.

Now, not saying one or two of these guys don't elevate their games, but it's no slam dunk. McAdoo's return gives UNC a chance to compete for the ACC title next year. Mason's return would do the same for us. Leslie's return would do the same for NC State.

But unless there is an unexpected game-changer -- maybe Shabazz to Duke? (and Jefferson isn't that much of an impact guy) -- it's hard to see any ACC team competing for the Final Four.

Sullinger is officially entering draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    But unless there is an unexpected game-changer -- maybe Shabazz to Duke? (and Jefferson isn't that much of an impact guy) -- it's hard to see any ACC team competing for the Final Four.
    I don't think I agree with this, but it might depend on what I infer from your post. I infer that you mean, even if Mason and Leslie return, it's hard to see Duke or State competing for FF.

To say they're unlikely to "compete" for FF seems to suggest that there will be plenty of teams plenty obviously superior to Duke and State (and even UNC).

But is that true?

It appears that, just now, Indiana and UL are atop most way-early 2012-'13 previews. But neither of these is a juggernaut, as UK, UNC, and tOSU were unanimously thought to be a year ago. So if the early-consensus top 2 are perceived to be weaker than last season's maybe-greats, what teams might be great?

I guess the 2 logical candidates are UK and UCLA: UK if it gets Muhammad, Noel, and Bennett; UCLA, if it adds Muhammad and Parker to Anderson [and Drew and the Wears...].

Maybe Fla, Arizona, Memphis, Baylor? Depends on issues with each of those.

So my point is, are there actually 6-7 teams that are so obviously superior to Duke-with-Mason, and to State-with-Leslie, that Duke and State (and UNC) clearly, certainly, could not "compete" for a deep run? Doesn't next year look, right now, a little more wide open than 2011-'12 looked a year ago?

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    I don't think I agree with this, but it might depend on what I infer from your post. I infer that you mean, even if Mason and Leslie return, it's hard to see Duke or State competing for FF.

Are there actually 6-7 teams that are so obviously superior to Duke-with-Mason, and to State-with-Leslie, that Duke and State (and UNC) clearly, certainly, could not "compete" for a deep run? Doesn't next year look, right now, a little more wide open than 2011-'12 looked a year ago?
    I think Duke (with Mason) and State (with Leslie) are pretty clearly Final Four contenders along with Louisville, Indiana (if Zeller returns), UK (assuming they reload and Calipari stays), Florida, UCLA (if they get Muhammad and Parker), Arizona, and Baylor. Other teams will surely emerge as well. I also think UNC could be a Final Four contender (especially if McAdoo and Strickland/Paige step up and they add Oriakhi). I certainly wouldn't rule them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Bullock? He averaged a solid-but-not great 36 percent on 3's, but that was with Zeller-Barnes getting most of the defensive attention.
    I think this is a key point. It took a lot of defensive attention to attempt to contain Zeller, Barnes, Henson, and Marshall. Bullock and Hairston (and Strickland when we was playing) were barely guarded at all, or at least their defender often left them to help elsewhere. I'm sure they'll improve in the off-season, but I'm also sure it's going to be a lot more difficult for them next year when defenses are able to spend energy guarding them.

Shooting guard has been the obvious weak link in Carolina's lineup for the past few years. Now all of a sudden people think they're going to become some super dangerous backcourt when all three of them are forced to play huge minutes, often at the same time? UNC looks due for a big dropoff to me, even with McAdoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I think this is a key point. It took a lot of defensive attention to attempt to contain Zeller, Barnes, Henson, and Marshall. Bullock and Hairston (and Strickland when we was playing) were barely guarded at all, or at least their defender often left them to help elsewhere. I'm sure they'll improve in the off-season, but I'm also sure it's going to be a lot more difficult for them next year when defenses are able to spend energy guarding them.
    For the same reasons I think Kansas's returning players may have a tough time, I have the same suspicions for Bullock, Hairston, and McAdoo. Life was pretty easy when they shared the court with 3-4 All-ACC players (each of whom required a ton of defensive attention). Next year, teams won't have to have their heads on a swivel so much. And that means that guys like McAdoo, Bullock, Strickland, McDonald, and Hairston will need to prove that they can create their own shots. I can't remember a single time that any of them did this successfully (that's not hyperbole - I really don't remember any). McAdoo has scored in transition, on putbacks, and on the occasional open jumper. When he's posted up, he's looked suspect. Bullock and Hairston were purely catch and shoot guys. Strickland has shown the ability to score in transition and occasionally go to the basket, but again that was as the 4th/5th option on the court. McDonald can hit 3s, but again he was the 4th/5th option.

UNC will still be good because they'll be deep and they'll push tempo. But in the half court I think they may struggle next year, and the half court game becomes more important as you get deeper in tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree with everything else in this post (and would say they're a top-15 team) except the bolded part. I think McAdoo is a very good athlete, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's freakishly athletic.
    Okay by me, either way ... but why is the heck is he being talked about at a 7-10 range pick in the first round NBA draft? Is that just crazy talk? (by the internet draft followers, I don't accuse the NBA scouts/GMs of being crazy). It isn't his shooting, and "everybody" in the NBA has a fast break game (Mason cannot seem to parlay his into a mid first round pick even though it seems pretty good and he has the chance of defending the 4 and some 5s in the NBA, a defensive skill that is rarer than NBA 3 maybe 4 defenders, I believe).

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Fair point. A bit of hyperbole. I just noticed that he jumps extremely well, and is quick for a big guy. So "really good athlete" or "very good athlete" is certainly more appropriate than "freak athlete". The Top 25 was a reference to worst case. If Paige plays well, and McAdoo is able to deliver down low, Top 12-15 is a fair assessment.

UNC has question marks for sure. They could struggle if everything does not come together nicely. Medical care has come a long ways, but ACL injuries are still significant, and there are no guarantees that players return to their pre-injury level of play. I wish no bad luck for Strickland or McDonald at all. I just think it possible they struggle to return to form. I know he had the same injury twice but it took awhile for Robbie Hummel to get his game back, and he never looked 100% comfortable this year to me. He did come on really strong in the second half of the season which was great to see.

McDonald has had more time to recover, so he will be closer to 100% in the early going than Strickland.

North Carolina will be a good team and probably won't fall off. I think they will still crack the NCAA Tournament and will be vulnerable to the first round upset. That will be a young team. I don't think that Paige is Marshall. I heard Paige scores more but I think Marshall is a better playmaker and they can't replace him. I think Duke won't miss Rivers as much with our heralded McD coming in. I think he will easily replace Rivers and Plumlee may come back. Man if Duke winds up with one of the three recruits and Ziegler transferring they should be in good shape.

could mcAdoo be walking into having all the pressure of "saving" unc much like HWNSNBM? what if they falter early, won't HE be the guy that's supposed to "own the team"???? will the fanbase eat him alive as well?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Listen to Quants View Post
    Okay by me, either way ... but why is the heck is he being talked about at a 7-10 range pick in the first round NBA draft? Is that just crazy talk? (by the internet draft followers, I don't accuse the NBA scouts/GMs of being crazy). It isn't his shooting, and "everybody" in the NBA has a fast break game (Mason cannot seem to parlay his into a mid first round pick even though it seems pretty good and he has the chance of defending the 4 and some 5s in the NBA, a defensive skill that is rarer than NBA 3 maybe 4 defenders, I believe).
    Well, I think it's fair to accuse NBA GMs of being crazy. These are the same people who instituted the age minimum for the draft because they couldn't keep themselves from making bad decisions on high schoolers. It is my belief that McAdoo's rating is being largely driven by a good McDonald's game and the lack of exposure at the college level. So the NBA folks are seeing a guy who is really athletic and who "dominated" the high school game but was stuck behind to upperclassmen. They are basically giving McAdoo a pass on his freshman year. If McAdoo doesn't dominate this coming year, his stock is likely to fall.

Mason didn't have the benefit of being quite as overhyped (though he was overhyped) among NBA folks coming in. And he had a very quiet freshman year so he didn't improve his stock. And he has now stuck around 3 years and not become a superstar, so he's lost some of the "upside" tag that GMs value so much. He's going to need to be a Zeller-like star as a senior to move into the lottery.

Kansas Robinson entering draft - no surprise there. Great tough athelete - the kind of guy we need fighting at the 4 or 5 - double double machine ., so tenacious