Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

all 3 gone

Well, unless Inside Carolina has been hacked, the IC Staff just posted that Henson, Barnes, and Marshall are all leaving.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=8861051

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    That thread has been blended into this thread, earlier on this page. The NBC report has not been verified by anyone.
    Look back at post #61. NBC-17 (Raleigh) had a news crawl this morning during the Today show saying "Insidecarolina.com has confirmed...", but I never saw any confirmation anywhere. Sorry to have jumped the gun (probably just lazy reporting by NBC), but hopefully it WILL come true.

Oops - see above!!!

Thanks, guys, for pointing me in the right direction above. I obviously just glanced over that part of the thread without noticing it.

What a glorious start to the off-season that would be. If the big three (Henson, Marshall and Barnes) all leave, and they are somehow followed by Michael McAdoo (who, from what I understand, is predicted to go top ten in some mock drafts), the heat on Roy, it will be on.

The thought of a repeat of UNC 2010 is enough to make me want to front crawl to Australia and actually hug a black falcon.

Now we just have to wait on McAdoo to make his decision. Next year could be very interesting, unc will not be a traditional unc team with a very limited frontcourt, NCSU could be the cream of the crop in the acc and it's too early to tell where Duke will stand (we have too many variables that are yet to be decided).

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    Well, unless Inside Carolina has been hacked, the IC Staff just posted that Henson, Barnes, and Marshall are all leaving.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=8861051

They are out. In the words of Marv Albert, "YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!"

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/10922827/

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post
    They are out. In the words of Marv Albert, "YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!"

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc/story/10922827/
    From the wral article:

“I’m honored and blessed to have the opportunity to compete in the NBA,” says Barnes. “The love and respect I have for basketball fuel the drive toward my ultimate goal – to experience an illustrious career in the NBA. I have consulted with Coach Williams and my family, and although it was a difficult decision, I have decided to enter this year’s NBA draft.
    "illustrious career"?
    well, we'll see

3 UNC guys headed off to the big show

Marshall surprises me, not the other 2.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ll-enter-draft

Wooops, this has already been covered in another thread, I see no reason to keep this around except for the sole reason to highlight it!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug.I.Am View Post
    Marshall surprises me, not the other 2.

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft2012/sto...ll-enter-draft
    Marshall doesn't surprise me. I think in addition to being a great pg, he had a wealth of talent surrounding him this year that helped his stock skyrocket. It was the perfect time for him to leave. I doubt he would have put up the same kind of numbers next year. The late season injury probably also served as a reality check.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    "illustrious career"? well, we'll see
    This seems accurate to me - his entire college career has been an illusion.

Interesting that they all announced at once.

Also, agents?
    Last edited by freedevil; 03-29-2012 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Add question.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    That's the way UNC usually does it. Wonder what that means for McAdoo.

Regardless, it'll be an entirely different UNC team next year. I suspect that they'll be adding Oriakhi now, which will help their frontcourt. But that's no longer a top-10 team in my opinion, even if McAdoo comes back.

I can't say I'm surprised, but as a greedy Carolina fan I'm really sorry to see them go. I was particularly hoping, and mildly optimistic, that Marshall would stick around another year, but his stock is so high one can hardly blaming him for going now. A Marshall/McAdoo combination could have been potent. Oh well. Looks like it may be NCSU's year.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    I can't say I'm surprised, but as a greedy Carolina fan I'm really sorry to see them go. I was particularly hoping, and mildly optimistic, that Marshall would stick around another year, but his stock is so high one can hardly blaming him for going now. A Marshall/McAdoo combination could have been potent. Oh well. Looks like it may be NCSU's year.
    It always stings when a guy leaves early, no matter how expected it might be. Last year I was still holding out hope that Kyrie would come back, right up until the minute he announced, even though the writing had been on the wall for some time. And it sucks that you guys had a perfect storm of talent and experience this year that got derailed by injuries, much like it did for us last year. Anyways, as a Duke fan I hope this swings the pendulum back in our favor, though a lot remains to be determined. Agree that NCSU has the talent to be right up there with the big two regardless of any remaining departures or additions.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That's the way UNC usually does it. Wonder what that means for McAdoo.

Regardless, it'll be an entirely different UNC team next year. I suspect that they'll be adding Oriakhi now, which will help their frontcourt. But that's no longer a top-10 team in my opinion, even if McAdoo comes back.
    Probably no announcement for McAdoo until next week. But his exclusion from this announcement shouldn't be considered evidence in either direction.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    The greedy Duke fan in me is glad Marshall won't stick around to break Hurley's record. But I did enjoy watching him in college.

Although it's sacrilegious to say this, for the non-Duke-fanatic, very-interested-but-disinterested bball fans, a UK-UNC NC game might have been a classic.

As a Duke fanatic, I'd have to have taken comfort that one of them had to lose.

But, with a healthy Marshall, and certainly with a healthy Marshall and Strickland, that would have been an enticing prospect.

So, I'm happy Roy doesn't get a shot at #3 in 2012. And an NC for Barnes would have been exceedingly difficult to stomach. But I do admire the great play of Zeller and Marshall.

Well, did.

Also, agents?
    Based on Roy's quote in the ESPN article, they aren't coming back.

Best news of the day.

Total rebuilding year for the Heels next year.

Plus, Stillman White is gone for his mission, Watts and Zeller graduated. That leaves Strickland and McDonald coming off injuries, and the incoming freshmen.

The only downside is... what does this mean for recruits who have not decided on a school yet? How many add UNC back to their lists?

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Best news of the day.

Total rebuilding year for the Heels next year.

Plus, Stillman White is gone for his mission, Watts and Zeller graduated. That leaves Strickland and McDonald coming off injuries, and the incoming freshmen.

The only downside is... what does this mean for recruits who have not decided on a school yet? How many add UNC back to their lists?
    And Reggie Bullock. And PJ Hairston. And possibly James McAdoo. Still a very talented group.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    And Reggie Bullock. And PJ Hairston. And possibly James McAdoo. Still a very talented group.
    I don't see a lot of size there...