Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    THis might make it easier for Mason to stay as all 3 shoulds be drafted ahead of Mason along with who aside from Davis leaves from Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Duke Fan View Post
    THis might make it easier for Mason to stay as all 3 shoulds be drafted ahead of Mason along with who aside from Davis leaves from Kentucky.
    And Sullinger, who probably will leave this year... and Thomas Robinson.

Lots of bigs project ahead of Mason. Could force his hand...

BTW, several of my Tarheel frends on FB are thinking this will push Nerlens Noel in their direction.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Regardless, it'll be an entirely different UNC team next year. I suspect that they'll be adding Oriakhi now, which will help their frontcourt. But that's no longer a top-10 team in my opinion, even if McAdoo comes back.
    With respect, I might disagree, depending on exactly what your post means.

If you mean that even with both McAdoo and Oriakhi, UNC wouldn't be preseason consensus top 10, I do disagree and would put them top 7-8. Behind NCSt, if Calvin Leslie stays. And behind Duke, if Mason stays.

If you mean that with McAdoo but not Oriakhi, I agree they might fall out of consensus preseason top 10, but not far.

I recall that you and I had a mini-debate re McAdoo last spring, I being sold on him as #2 frosh, after Anthony Davis. You thought, as I recall, that McAdoo got too many easy buckets in all-star games by loitering for open court dunks. So we just saw things differently then.

I'm still way high on McAdoo, if not quite Charles Barkley sky-high.

Heels still have loads of talent, but, admittedly, several questions. My guess at depth-chart:

PG - Strickland, Paige -- nowhere close to Marshall, but solid enough
    Wings - Bullock, Hairston, McDonald, Strickland, Tokoto -- time for these guys to show up
    Bigs - McAdoo, (Oriakhi??), Hubert, Johnson, James -- all depends on McAdoo staying

If McAdoo leaves, even if Oriakhi shows up, Heels are in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    BTW, several of my Tarheel frends on FB are thinking this will push Nerlens Noel in their direction.
    They can think it all they want. Kentucky will be in the same boat regarding available minutes. And Noel wasn't going to have to worry about playing time no matter what. It's just wishful thinking on your friends' part, unless Noel actually comes out and says UNC looks more attractive to him now.

which is fine. he is a shot blocking machine but he is 6'10 215. He is tiny and a good C with some muscle will out do him all day. He benefited much like Zoubs of playing much smaller people in HS.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I don't see a lot of size there...
    I'd expect an announcement in the not-to-distant future that Oriakhi will be transferring to UNC. That'll give them a starting 5 of Strickland, McDonald, Bullock, McAdoo, Oriakhi. The bench will be Paige, Hairston, Takoto, Johnson, James, and Hubert. They'll have plenty of size, just a lot of it will be very unproven. And they'll have loads of perimeter depth and length. They'll still be pretty good. Just probably not championship good.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    They can think it all they want. Kentucky will be in the same boat regarding available minutes. And Noel wasn't going to have to worry about playing time no matter what. It's just wishful thinking on your friends' part, unless Noel actually comes out and says UNC looks more attractive to him now.
    Yea I'd imagine him going to UK over UNC, simply because of the success Anthony Davis had, who is similar in style (however, Davis is worlds better).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'd expect an announcement in the not-to-distant future that Oriakhi will be transferring to UNC. That'll give them a starting 5 of Strickland, McDonald, Bullock, McAdoo, Oriakhi. The bench will be Paige, Hairston, Takoto, Johnson, James, and Hubert. They'll have plenty of size, just a lot of it will be very unproven. And they'll have loads of perimeter depth and length. They'll still be pretty good. Just probably not championship good.
    Here's hoping Oriaki has more Mahktar N'dyiae in him than Dikembe Mutombo...

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    which is fine. he is a shot blocking machine but he is 6'10 215. He is tiny and a good C with some muscle will out do him all day. He benefited much like Zoubs of playing much smaller people in HS.
    I don't know, man. I watched Noel dominate Mitch McGary recently. Noel is an animal (and I mean that in the very best sense).

That's very optimistic of you but Noel is a beast and it's not like Anthony Davis is sporting a ton of muscle.

UNC ... Duke ... State

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    With respect, I might disagree, depending on exactly what your post means.

If you mean that even with both McAdoo and Oriakhi, UNC wouldn't be preseason consensus top 10, I do disagree and would put them top 7-8. Behind NCSt, if Calvin Leslie stays. And behind Duke, if Mason stays.

If you mean that with McAdoo but not Oriakhi, I agree they might fall out of consensus preseason top 10, but not far.

I recall that you and I had a mini-debate re McAdoo last spring, I being sold on him as #2 frosh, after Anthony Davis. You thought, as I recall, that McAdoo got too many easy buckets in all-star games by loitering for open court dunks. So we just saw things differently then.

I'm still way high on McAdoo, if not quite Charles Barkley sky-high.

Heels still have loads of talent, but, admittedly, several questions. My guess at depth-chart:

PG - Strickland, Paige -- nowhere close to Marshall, but solid enough
    Wings - Bullock, Hairston, McDonald, Strickland, Tokoto -- time for these guys to show up
    Bigs - McAdoo, (Oriakhi??), Hubert, Johnson, James -- all depends on McAdoo staying

If McAdoo leaves, even if Oriakhi shows up, Heels are in trouble.
    Not sure what you mean by "even if Orakhi shows up"?

There are still a LOT of imponderables left. Just looking at the three Triangle schools:

UNC
    1. Does McAdoo also go?
    2. Do they add Orakhi and if they do, is he eligible right away (the last part is automatic if UConn loses its last appeal)?
    3. Do they hit a home run and add Noel?

NC State
    1. Does Leslie stay? (.00001 percent chance)
    2. Does Brown stay? (likely, but he's investigating a jump)
    3. Do they add Jefferson? (50-50 chance)

Duke
    1. Does Mason stay? (looks to be 50-50 right now)
    2. Does Duke add Jefferson (50-50)
    3. Does Duke add Parker (possible, but less than 50-50)
    4. Does Duke hit a home run and land Muhammad (less than 50-50, but more likely than UNC getting Noel)
    5. Duke Duke add Ziegler and if they do, is he eligible right away?

Until we know the answer to these questions, I don't see how we can rank the three Triangle schools -- much less project where they fit in the ACC and nation. Depending on the variety of answers, you could have any order for the three.

I'll say this for UNC, Roy has twice had to rebuild from scratch (2006 and 2010). He did a great job in 2006 an a terrible job in 2010.
    It would be a mistake to write them off as a top-level ACC team AT THIS MOMENT. But I have more faith that K ill fashion a contending team next year than that Roy will.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    That's very optimistic of you but Noel is a beast and it's not like Anthony Davis is sporting a ton of muscle.
    I understand but Davis weighs at least 10 pounds more (im not sure how much you have played but 10 pounds difference will wear you out after a while) and has a uni-brow. Dont underestimate the power of the uni-brow

I understand but Davis weighs at least 10 pounds more (im not sure how much you have played but 10 pounds difference will wear you out after a while) and has a uni-brow. Dont underestimate the power of the uni-brow
    Yeah, but have you seen Noel's old-school Kid-N-Play fade haircut?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    1. Does McAdoo also go?
    How could McAdoo pass up being a top 10 pick? He has to go. It's in his financial interests to do so. Also, why stick around to watch baseball passes from Dexter Strickland sail over your head when you can get paid to be the backup to one of the Morris twins?

Yeah, but have you seen Noel's old-school Kid-N-Play fade haircut?
    True. Hmmm we may have to a way to determine if the Fade or uni-brow has more power on the bball court.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    NC State
    1. Does Leslie stay? (.00001 percent chance)
    2. Does Brown stay? (likely, but he's investigating a jump)
    I disagree here. Leslie isn't a lottery pick right now, so he'd really have to hate college life to go this year. He seems to like Gottfried. He may very well go, but I'd say the chances are much better that he stays than you suggest. I'd call it closer to a 50/50. And I would be very surprised if Brown goes. He won't crack the 1st round.

Since we've heard so much about the unc-ch point guard that averaged 30 min in the Sweet 16 game and Elite 8 game,, we can now say Stilman White is expected to still be going on his mission trip for the church of LDS.
    Another elite 8 starter gone. ( I actually like Stilman, when not dressed in the smurf bleu )

True. Hmmm we may have to a way to determine if the Fade or uni-brow has more power on the bball court.
    Grant Hill says hi...
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Not sure why it would. UNC was going to be looking for a new center regardless; losing Marshall, Barnes and Henson (but mostly Marshall) makes UNC a less appealing destination for next season, not more.