Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 376
  1. #61

    Barnes, Henson, Marshall Gone

    NBC just showed a news crawl citing an Insidecarolina.com report that all three are going pro. Don't see anything yet on IC (or anywhere else) confirming this. Turn on NBC (Channel 2 on TW Cable) if you want to see the crawl.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Macon, GA
    Saw a thread on this on IC, but no one over there has any legit information either. I'll believe it when there's an actual source and real information.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Saw a thread on this on IC, but no one over there has any legit information either. I'll believe it when there's an actual source and real information.
    You would hope that a network news source would do better than just reacting to a thread on IC. We shall see - sorry if it's not true, but wanted to share the joyous news (if true).

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    You would hope that a network news source would do better than just reacting to a thread on IC. We shall see - sorry if it's not true, but wanted to share the joyous news (if true).
    NBC also posted a story that Mason was going pro based on a misread of a tweet by Jay Williams based on a misread of an article by the Herald Sun. Until I hear it from UNC and the players themselves, I'm not taking much stock in anything just yet.

  5. #65
    Looks like Barnes will announce today. I'm thinking if he's making his statement this quickly, he's probably gone. Hope I'm wrong.

    www.kcci.com/r/30792496/detail.html

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Looks like Barnes will announce today. I'm thinking if he's making his statement this quickly, he's probably gone. Hope I'm wrong.

    www.kcci.com/r/30792496/detail.html
    That would be my guess as well. Maybe he does the "declare without an agent" move. But I'd guess he's going.

    If he IS going, a good thing one could take (from a UNC perspective) would be the fact that it is not a group press conference bodes better for others staying.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    That would be my guess as well. Maybe he does the "declare without an agent" move. But I'd guess he's going.

    If he IS going, a good thing one could take (from a UNC perspective) would be the fact that it is not a group press conference bodes better for others staying.
    Maybe it means the others are staying, but I think it's just Barnes doing it his own way. Last year he announced separately too. Someone over on IC joked that he might Skype his announcement. Ha.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Maybe it means the others are staying, but I think it's just Barnes doing it his own way. Last year he announced separately too. Someone over on IC joked that he might Skype his announcement. Ha.
    If he uses the word "legacy" then Unc fans ought to find him as obnoxious as we do.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Inman, SC & Melbourne Beach, FL
    In order to stay in character, HB should call Ol' Roy and tell that he is staying, and then have a press conference announcing that he is declaring and has hired an agent!!!

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If he uses the word "legacy" then Unc fans ought to find him as obnoxious as we do.
    Ironically, Marshall has expressed a desire to be "legendary", which has not generated any ire or really any attention. That's the difference when (1) you're more likable and (2) your performance on the court meets or exceeds expectations.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Ironically, Marshall has expressed a desire to be "legendary", which has not generated any ire or really any attention. That's the difference when (1) you're more likable and (2) your performance on the court meets or exceeds expectations.
    I agree. If Marshall stays four years he will go down as a UNC legend. Barnes would go down as another in a long line of good UNC scorers.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    In order to stay in character, HB should call Ol' Roy and tell that he is staying, and then have a press conference announcing that he is declaring and has hired an agent!!!
    "And the agent with whom I will sign, indeed the agent that will represent me through establishing my legacy, and The Black Falcon (TM) brand in the NBA, will the be agent I will Skype...now."

    Regarding Marshall: exactly right. The kid has been an amazing passer in his 2 years at the Dump. He's on track, if he stays four years, to perhaps break the NCAA record for assists. Bobby Hurley had a legendary college career. Marshall has a long way to go to match Bobby's achievements (and 2 NCAA championships now seems next to impossible, unless Barnes, Henson, and McAdoo all stay), but Marshall has been good enough on the court, at the college level, to talk in those terms with some credibility.
    Brian Zoubek on what was going through his mind walking to the free throw line with 3.6 seconds remaining in the 2010 National Championship game and Duke up by 1: "Fifty percent [of me is] thinking, This is what I've been dreaming of doing my entire life. Fifty percent I'm crapping my pants."

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Ironically, Marshall has expressed a desire to be "legendary", which has not generated any ire or really any attention. That's the difference when (1) you're more likable and (2) your performance on the court meets or exceeds expectations.
    The likable part is huge but when you actually set records like Marshall has, you can make bold statements. If he were to stick around for 4 years he would most likely surpass Hurley's assist record and depending on who he has to pass to over his last two years, he could crush it. I actually like Marchall and love to watch him pass the ball but I will be happy if he decides he would rather pass to Paul Milsap next year!

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    The likable part is huge but when you actually set records like Marshall has, you can make bold statements. If he were to stick around for 4 years he would most likely surpass Hurley's assist record and depending on who he has to pass to over his last two years, he could crush it. I actually like Marchall and love to watch him pass the ball but I will be happy if he decides he would rather pass to Paul Milsap next year!
    It also doesn't hurt that he waited to make those comments until after he'd already played well at the college level. And he doesn't make them often like Barnes has. There's nothing wrong with having lofty goals. It's just frowned upon to talk about your legacy and brand when you're not even in college yet.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It also doesn't hurt that he waited to make those comments until after he'd already played well at the college level. And he doesn't make them often like Barnes has. There's nothing wrong with having lofty goals. It's just frowned upon to talk about your legacy and brand when you're not even in college yet.
    As my pappy always said: Be wary of those speaking of legacy before performance.

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington DC
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoHeel View Post
    Ironically, Marshall has expressed a desire to be "legendary", which has not generated any ire or really any attention. That's the difference when (1) you're more likable and (2) your performance on the court meets or exceeds expectations.
    You are more likable when you dont call reporters asking about how awesome you are, and when you dont give yourself a really lame nickname. Barnes has a hero complex whereas Marshall seems like he's a good guy and fun to play with.

    I hope both cash out ASAP.

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    No, no, no. You guys have got it all wrong. He's not announcing by Skyp'ing his agent. He's going to use FaceTime.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Toledo
    In keeping with the precedent for grand declarations, perhaps The Black Falcon's ultimate decision could be elegantly revealed by contestants one character at a time on the Wheel of Fortune.

    Here's the thing you have to understand about The Black Falcon. He's no longer actually living here on Earth with us. He left this planet a while ago.

    BTW, is there any truth behind the thread started earlier regarding an NBC report that UNC's big three are all declaring? I noticed that thread has since disappeared. (Apologies if I somehow missed that discussion somewhere else -- at work and don't always have time to peruse every part of the board. Thanks.)

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    BTW, is there any truth behind the thread started earlier regarding an NBC report that UNC's big three are all declaring? I noticed that thread has since disappeared. (Apologies if I somehow missed that discussion somewhere else -- at work and don't always have time to peruse every part of the board. Thanks.)
    Looks like that thread was merged into this one. No new information, far as I can tell.

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    In keeping with the precedent for grand declarations, perhaps The Black Falcon's ultimate decision could be elegantly revealed by contestants one character at a time on the Wheel of Fortune.

    Here's the thing you have to understand about The Black Falcon. He's no longer actually living here on Earth with us. He left this planet a while ago.

    BTW, is there any truth behind the thread started earlier regarding an NBC report that UNC's big three are all declaring? I noticed that thread has since disappeared. (Apologies if I somehow missed that discussion somewhere else -- at work and don't always have time to peruse every part of the board. Thanks.)
    That thread has been blended into this thread, earlier on this page. The NBC report has not been verified by anyone.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Similar Threads

  1. Duke early decision apps up 33 percent
    By Bluedog in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 02:00 PM
  2. Impact of Early NBA Entries on ACC
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-30-2008, 09:32 PM
  3. Which Duke early departer did you miss the most?
    By FerryFor50 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 11:30 PM
  4. Early Duke Tourney Predictions
    By TwoDukeTattoos in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 08:49 AM
  5. Is UCLA the same team as Duke in the early 1990's?
    By adam in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •