I imagine that many of you who are huge fans of the book, like I am, are really excited about this movie. I am seeing it at a screening on Monday and will post something afterwards.

But, in the meantime, I wanted to share a review that has my expectations sky high!

Boxoffice.com says --
After decades of science fiction epics that are either tired father-quests shoved down our throats with a lightsaber in the wake of Star Wars, or weary New Testament-inspired stories of "the Chosen One," it's amazingly refreshing to see a film where the hero's journey is one of ethics and choice—what does it take to be good in a evil world?—a struggle real people can sympathize with, not just gawk at. As action, as allegory, as cinema, The Hunger Games is the best American science-fiction film since The Matrix, and if Ross and his crew stay with the series for the next two books, we may get that rarest of things: a blockbuster franchise that earns our money through craft, emotion and execution, not merely marketing and effects.
I bolded that last part. WOW, now that is praise!!

Variety also reviewed it and said it is good, but that it does little to improve upon the book or strike its own territory. To me, that says it is largely a copy of the book... which is fine with me seeing as I loved the book.

I'll check back in after I see it Monday night.

-Jason "it is good to be a critic " Evans