Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
I saw the movie on Friday with my sister (we both read the books and are huge fans of them) but I was kind of disappointed.... No stones thrown yet? Now I did like the movie but I just did not like certain things which make it disappointing in my eyes.

Negatives to me:

- The fight scenes had to be very mild to keep the pg 13 rating.
- You couldn't tell how badly the citizens struggled to live. They all looked healthy and fit for the most part and you didn't hear about the struggle Katniss had to go through after her father died.
- In the actual games you never saw her struggle to get water or the struggle she went through to keep Peta alive.
- You never knew she had to fake loving Peta and how he thought it was real the whole time.
- Her relationship with Rue in the movie was not very special where as in the book she loved her almost like a sister.
- Horrible choice for Gale as an actor.
As others have mentioned, the movie was a little too precise to the book, which is what I expected, given the Harry Potter and Twilight screenwriting. That said, I believe there was a major move made by the producers wrt Katniss' character. They essentially removed all "grey areas" around Kat. The movie shows the compassionate, conniving hunter. But the book explored an area of ruthlessness that was evident from the start. ("Why Peeta? He took care of me once, and now I'll have to kill him." "His parents are being kind to me so their son will have an advantage. I must ignore them.")

For example, in the book, she was instantly ready to fight Peeta to the death - while the movie merely had the discussion. Ultimately, I think this will pay off in the end, but it removes a major aspect of the character within the first book.

To date, the best book re-write into a screenplay is still Jurassic Park. Both the book and movie are thrilling, and contain a goof amount of both fringe and legitimate science. BUT the "thriller / horror" pieces of the plot line are mostly different from the book to the movie.