Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

SPOILER (Book and Movie)

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I saw the movie on Friday with my sister (we both read the books and are huge fans of them) but I was kind of disappointed.... No stones thrown yet? Now I did like the movie but I just did not like certain things which make it disappointing in my eyes.

Negatives to me:

- The fight scenes had to be very mild to keep the pg 13 rating.
    - You couldn't tell how badly the citizens struggled to live. They all looked healthy and fit for the most part and you didn't hear about the struggle Katniss had to go through after her father died.
    - In the actual games you never saw her struggle to get water or the struggle she went through to keep Peta alive.
    - You never knew she had to fake loving Peta and how he thought it was real the whole time.
    - Her relationship with Rue in the movie was not very special where as in the book she loved her almost like a sister.
    - Horrible choice for Gale as an actor.
    As others have mentioned, the movie was a little too precise to the book, which is what I expected, given the Harry Potter and Twilight screenwriting. That said, I believe there was a major move made by the producers wrt Katniss' character. They essentially removed all "grey areas" around Kat. The movie shows the compassionate, conniving hunter. But the book explored an area of ruthlessness that was evident from the start. ("Why Peeta? He took care of me once, and now I'll have to kill him." "His parents are being kind to me so their son will have an advantage. I must ignore them.")

For example, in the book, she was instantly ready to fight Peeta to the death - while the movie merely had the discussion. Ultimately, I think this will pay off in the end, but it removes a major aspect of the character within the first book.

To date, the best book re-write into a screenplay is still Jurassic Park. Both the book and movie are thrilling, and contain a goof amount of both fringe and legitimate science. BUT the "thriller / horror" pieces of the plot line are mostly different from the book to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    To date, the best book re-write into a screenplay is still Jurassic Park. Both the book and movie are thrilling, and contain a goof amount of both fringe and legitimate science. BUT the "thriller / horror" pieces of the plot line are mostly different from the book to the movie.
    You are joking right?

Look, I liked Jurassic Park, liked it a lot. I found the book an absolute page-turner and the movie was a ton of fun. But, in terms of "best book re-write into screenplay" it ain't even in the top ten.

The Princess Bride
    The Godfather I & II
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Jaws
    Lord of the Rings I, II, and III
    Silence of the Lambs
    Apocalypse Now
    The Shining
    The Green Mile
    The Bourne movies
    All The President's Men

-Jason "and that is just off the top of my head, a real quick list" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I was late to see the movie, but - is there any chance at all that they won't keep with the PG-13 rating all the way? Even though I remember something similar happening with Star Wars, I guess I already know the answer to this. Going to R will lose a lot of the target audience. But I'm afraid the last movie is going to lose a ton of its impact if they're forced to keep Rue's death scene as the height of violence they're allowed to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I was late to see the movie, but - is there any chance at all that they won't keep with the PG-13 rating all the way? Even though I remember something similar happening with Star Wars, I guess I already know the answer to this. Going to R will lose a lot of the target audience. But I'm afraid the last movie is going to lose a ton of its impact if they're forced to keep Rue's death scene as the height of violence they're allowed to show.
    Of course, by the time the last movie comes out, a lot of the target audience will be old enough. Tongue firmly in cheek, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think if well directed the violence can be compelling and heartwrenching, without being so graphic as to casue an R rating. A scene doesn't have to be graphic to have a real impact.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    I think if well directed the violence can be compelling and heartwrenching, without being so graphic as to casue an R rating. A scene doesn't have to be graphic to have a real impact.
    While this is true in a way, I think it does not fit in the case of The Hunger Games. The lack of graphic visual in the deaths of these characters was highly disappointing to me. I read the books and visualized a more gruesome scene in every death/fight.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    You are joking right?

Look, I liked Jurassic Park, liked it a lot. I found the book an absolute page-turner and the movie was a ton of fun. But, in terms of "best book re-write into screenplay" it ain't even in the top ten.

The Princess Bride
    The Godfather I & II
    The Shawshank Redemption
    Jaws
    Lord of the Rings I, II, and III
    Silence of the Lambs
    Apocalypse Now
    The Shining
    The Green Mile
    The Bourne movies
    All The President's Men

-Jason "and that is just off the top of my head, a real quick list" Evans
    You're right. Those are all great adaptations of phenomenal books. But they all stayed true to the original story and plot. The changes were for style - or a producer / director wanting to emphasize something different than the book.

Let me be clearer. I'm referring to the fact that the JP screenplay had little to do with JP the Movie other than there were dinosaurs on an island cloned from blood in mosquitos trapped in amber.

The raptors are the superstars of the movie thrills, while T-Rex, other than the escape, is just a big T%^%$ dinosaur.

Like you said J, the book is enthralling. I can still get that heart pounding sensation remembering what it was like to turn the next page and read the next T-Rex escapade.

The movie barely followed any of the plot from the book, but in its own right was still a good movie about cloning dinosaurs. That's what I was alluding to - the ability to completely trash the book plot line - and still come up with something decent.