Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Sorry, but if our "centers" are Kelly and Marshall and our PF's are Murphy and Hairston, I don't think that frontcourt is deep, and I don't think it's championship-level good. Kelly struggled mightily against physical inside players -- at the 4.
    And just who are these PF that just overpowered Kelly this year? Most of the PF we have faced are more athletic than bruising. Kelly's defEnsive struggles this year have been due to quickness.

Marshall is a complete unknown quantity. Yes, the redshirt year helped him mature physically, I'm sure. But remember that neither of his brothers was a big contributor in his first year, so I don't know what basis there is to believe Marshall will be either.
    and how did those guys do in year 2? Because that is what Marshall will essentially be next year, even though he will technically be a freshman. I don't think he will be a star, but I think it is completely reasonable that he'd be useful as essentially a sophomore in terms of development.

As for the PF's in this scenario, Murphy is also unproven and by most accounts a natural 3 more than a 4. Yes, he may be able to play the 4 in our scheme, but he's likely to struggle against physical guys too.
    Again, who are all these physical PF we are going to face? Few teams have bangers at PF. So I think your concerns are unfounded.

We will have 4-5 players 6'8" or taller, 1-2 of them will likely be All-ACC. Go look at some of the other ACC rosters. I would call thhat depth.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtDevil View Post
    My fear is we are back here next year wondering what went wrong because we still have a ton of a. small guards who don't defend well b. Offensively unproductive big men who have had three years (in Mason's case) to develop one post move c. ZERO wing players (or at least none we actually play) d. we continue to be "Alarmingly unathletic" at the 1-4 position, relying heavily on tacticion basketball players e. Dribble, dribble, dribble, chunk a three offense.

My fear is that without the addition of a Jefferson or Muhommed, very few of these deficiencies are going to be answered by Marshall and Murphy. Yes, Sulaimon should help us with some athleticism and defense, but the glaring holes that made themselves all to easy to exploit in March appear to sadly still be lingering.

I am just tired of Duke having fewer athletes than Lehigh, VCU, Baylor, Ohio, NC State, etc.. We may have missed on too many recruits lately, but I find it difficult to believe we can't go into the 75-100 range and get a 6'6 or 6'7 slasher who can lock your butt down on defense, my god, everyteam in the tournament has 3 or four of them it seems, and here we are at home.

I don't believe K will allow this to repeat itself, but the roster is the roster, and nobody is expecting miracles, nor should they be...
    Yeah. You know who has good-sized speedy guards, a bevy of strong wings, athleticism all over the court, a dynamic offense that stresses attacking the basket as well as fine shooting, and the know-how to hit tourney season with a ton of momentum? MISSOURI. How can we be more like Missouri next year? That's your central question of the offseason right there. And like you, son, I'm not expecting a miracle.

My fear is we are back here next year wondering what went wrong because we still have a ton of a. small guards who don't defend well b. Offensively unproductive big men who have had three years (in Mason's case) to develop one post move c. ZERO wing players (or at least none we actually play) d. we continue to be "Alarmingly unathletic" at the 1-4 position, relying heavily on tacticion basketball players e. Dribble, dribble, dribble, chunk a three offense.

My fear is that without the addition of a Jefferson or Muhommed, very few of these deficiencies are going to be answered by Marshall and Murphy. Yes, Sulaimon should help us with some athleticism and defense, but the glaring holes that made themselves all to easy to exploit in March appear to sadly still be lingering.

I am just tired of Duke having fewer athletes than Lehigh, VCU, Baylor, Ohio, NC State, etc.. We may have missed on too many recruits lately, but I find it difficult to believe we can't go into the 75-100 range and get a 6'6 or 6'7 slasher who can lock your butt down on defense, my god, everyteam in the tournament has 3 or four of them it seems, and here we are at home.

I don't believe K will allow this to repeat itself, but the roster is the roster, and nobody is expecting miracles, nor should they be...

Is that not what Mike is?? I'm not in the practices so I cant say why he didn't play but that's definitely his skill set. If we can pencil in Alex as playing 20-25 mins after not playing a minute this year then why is Mike G getting written off whens he's actually shown flashes of what we are so badly missing

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, there's at least precedent. K used Chris Carrawell (6-6) against Tim Duncan in the game at Wake in 1997. And the keeper of the Holy Blackberry, Reggie Love (6-4, 220), was used effectively against 7-0 Brendan Haywood in the 2001 winning game at Chapel Hill after Boozer went down.

sagegrouse
    Although we won that game at Wake, Duncan did go for 26 on 11-of-13 shooting.

And in the game in Chapel Hill, Reggie Love only played 4 minutes. Casey Sanders got 11 and Matt Christensen (!) got 12.

I haven't seen Marshall play or anything but I suspect that his ceiling for next year realistically is about what Miles gave us this year. In reality he'll probably give us less. Miles was really underrated, we can't ignore the fact that we're losing him, and Marshall has zero experience except in practice. So to expect him to come in and be a dominant center is wishful thinking IMO. He has potential, but it takes time for big men to develop. So Assuming Mason comes back I think our front court will be very similar to what it was this year - everyone's a year older, but we "swap" Miles for Marshall.

I tend to agree with RockyMtDevil that the problems of this season don't appear to have any immediate solutions looking at next year's roster, unless Rasheed and Murphy turn out to be better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I tend to agree with RockyMtDevil that the problems of this season don't appear to have any immediate solutions looking at next year's roster, unless Rasheed and Murphy turn out to be better than expected.
    Internal development. Better injury luck. Three senior starters who averaged double digits this season. At least three new players. But other than that, I agree, the cupboard is bare.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I haven't seen Marshall play or anything but I suspect that his ceiling for next year realistically is about what Miles gave us this year. In reality he'll probably give us less. Miles was really underrated, we can't ignore the fact that we're losing him, and Marshall has zero experience except in practice. So to expect him to come in and be a dominant center is wishful thinking IMO. He has potential, but it takes time for big men to develop. So Assuming Mason comes back I think our front court will be very similar to what it was this year - everyone's a year older, but we "swap" Miles for Marshall.

Better than expected? I am expecting big things from both Murphy and Sulaimon. You do realize Rasheed is the highest rated SG in the country? The guy may even be a better SG prospect than Austin and some scouts have said he is one of the most NBA ready players in the 2012 class. I'm not worried about either one of them.

My worry again is unfortunately our big men. And I say unfortunately because I feel like our question marks are ALWAYS OUR BIG MEN. We need to start getting consistent offensive production from the inside. If Mason comes back, yeah he would probably be that guy. What if he doesn't though? We're left with Marshall and Ryan? Josh Hairston? Who there can give you production on the inside? Both Alex Murphy and Ryan Kelly's games are more perimeter oriented and I didn't see enough out of Josh Hairston to think he could establish himself as a go to player on the low block. Ugh, around and around we go.

Some thoughts from reading this thread:

-First, while Seth Curry has his flaws I think it is foolish to question his value. His being in foul trouble hurt us big time against Lehigh. Last year against Arizona, him going down with an injury hurt as well. He's a valuable player, no question.

-Second, someone mentioned moving Wojo over to coach the guards. This is an interesting thing to consider. We have the shooting wiz coaching the guards, and the tough-nosed player coaching the bigs. I'd almost think that it truly would be a step back in the defensive minded direction to have Wojo work with the guards on his defense. There have been a number of players over this weekend on other teams that have made plays and played defense in a way that I wish this Duke team would have done more consistently this year. Maybe what really is needed is just to learn to be more hard-nosed, more intense.

-I don't really want to comment on the things that are up in the air, like what our post rotation will be next year. But I just want to say, generally, that I hope Duke gets back to being a dominant defensive team. This year had a lot of offensive-minded players and that's not a bad thing. But the perfect thing to compliment all those shooters is a defense that can absolutely lock a team down, crank up the pressure, force turnovers, etc. We just didn't do that, and I feel that the opportunity is there next year to really turn up the heat again. We will be deeper, hopefully more athletic, but definitely have more versatility with the moving parts... the deep depth that Coach K likes to have. Between Sulaimon, Murphy, Gbinije, and hopefully Jefferson, Rivers and/or Shabazz- that's multiple guys who can fit at multiple positions. This year, I felt like we were forced into too many lineups with weaknesses (too short, not enough ball handling, etc.) and having versatility helps that... a lot.

-Finally, I truly feel like this loss is really going to drive next year's team. I feel like next year's team is going to be an angry bee's nest. Maybe that's what's needed. This team was filled with a lot of nice, likable guys. That's not a bad thing. It's good for our players to have fun with one another and to be nice guys and fun-loving guys. But I expect to see some anger next year, some killer instinct. And really, isn't that what we've lacked all year, since we blew a 15 point lead at home to Belmont and squeaked out of there with a win? I hope that killer instinct is what grows out of this depressing loss. Right now, for all we know, we only lose 1 player- and the rest of them are hopefully brooding over the loss, the way people are talking about Duke, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    -Finally, I truly feel like this loss is really going to drive next year's team. I feel like next year's team is going to be an angry bee's nest. Maybe that's what's needed. This team was filled with a lot of nice, likable guys. That's not a bad thing. It's good for our players to have fun with one another and to be nice guys and fun-loving guys. But I expect to see some anger next year, some killer instinct. And really, isn't that what we've lacked all year, since we blew a 15 point lead at home to Belmont and squeaked out of there with a win? I hope that killer instinct is what grows out of this depressing loss. Right now, for all we know, we only lose 1 player- and the rest of them are hopefully brooding over the loss, the way people are talking about Duke, etc.
    I just really don't think it works like that. Last year's blowout loss to Arizona should have driven this year's team. They need to want it for themselves and themselves only. Its not for the fans who want "another championship". Or to live up to the "Duke standard". They should want to win so they can have a ring.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I just really don't think it works like that. Last year's blowout loss to Arizona should have driven this year's team. They need to want it for themselves and themselves only. Its not for the fans who want "another championship". Or to live up to the "Duke standard". They should want to win so they can have a ring.
    It's a little different since that team lost its heart and soul. But I feel like you and I are saying the same thing- that they need to find a way to want it more.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I just really don't think it works like that. Last year's blowout loss to Arizona should have driven this year's team.
    Have to agree. We'll largely have the same personnel next year. Also, you're right, if drive and motivation were really factors, and if bad losses turn players into driven, angry bees, then that AZ loss should have done it for this year's team. Or after the Temple loss, or the UNC blowout. If those didn't do it, I don't see that changing next year. But it may not be a mater of anger or drive. It could be skill, speed, height, chemistry, focus.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieTiger View Post
    -I don't really want to comment on the things that are up in the air, like what our post rotation will be next year. But I just want to say, generally, that I hope Duke gets back to being a dominant defensive team. This year had a lot of offensive-minded players and that's not a bad thing. But the perfect thing to compliment all those shooters is a defense that can absolutely lock a team down, crank up the pressure, force turnovers, etc. We just didn't do that, and I feel that the opportunity is there next year to really turn up the heat again. We will be deeper, hopefully more athletic, but definitely have more versatility with the moving parts... the deep depth that Coach K likes to have. Between Sulaimon, Murphy, Gbinije, and hopefully Jefferson, Rivers and/or Shabazz- that's multiple guys who can fit at multiple positions. This year, I felt like we were forced into too many lineups with weaknesses (too short, not enough ball handling, etc.) and having versatility helps that... a lot.
    Are any of those guys actually versatile though? Rivers could become a versatile G, if he stays. His passing and recognition improved alot through the year, so it's reasonable to expect some improvement there.
    In my view, the versatility will actually stem from getting more PT for our only true PG, Cook. Thornton will certainly play, and hopefully improve in all areas with maturation, but Cook is a real playmaker on O, while TT is more a caretaker. We lacked good ball distribution this year and as a result had a non-versatile offense. Sometimes the lack of versatility on O wasn't a problem cuz we were shooting well. When we lost, it was b/c there was no way to create offense w/o jump shots.

...what most of us with a decent amount of basketball knowledge are requesting is the addition of 1-2 athletic wing players who can take their man off the dribble, finish at the rim and defend their man on an island.
    Most of us are requesting this? Who are we requesting it from?

It seems like the concerns all season this year were as follows (in no particular order):
    - lack of size, quickness, and ballhandling in the backcourt
    - lack of quickness in the frontcourt (especially at the PF spot against quicker PF)
    - too much reliance on the 3pt shot
    - inability to prevent dribble penetration
    - difficulty forcing turnovers and thus easy points off turnovers

The guy most likely to leave (Rivers) only magnifies those issues, because he was the tallest, quickest, best ballhandler, and one of the best man-to-man defenders among our perimeter guys. The remaining guys were either very small (Cook, Thornton, Curry) or lacking in ballhandling/creating ability (Thornton, Dawkins, and at times Curry), or weak defensively (Cook, Dawkins). Sulaimon may or may not address some of these areas, but he's a freshman and I REALLY doubt he'll be as good next year as Rivers was this year. So unless we see marked improvements from the returning guys or a significant change in approach, a lot of the same issues we saw this year will be there next year too.

We do add a versatile wing/forward in Murphy. And maybe Gbinije makes strides. If they could make enough progress to unseat some of the current regulars, we'd have the versatile, athletic, tall wing defenders that we lacked this year. But that doesn't really address the ballhandling/playmaking concerns.

If Rivers and Mason return, I'd be interested to see what a rotation of Rivers, Curry, Dawkins/Gbinije, Kelly, Mason, Cook/Thornton, Gbinije/Dawkins, Murphy, and Marshall could bring to the table. Of course, that leaves virtually no minutes for Sulaimon and very limited minutes for Hairston and one of Cook, Thornton, Gbinije, or Dawkins. But it'd be a tall, athletic squad with some good shooters and slashers. Of course, that would depend upon the development of Gbinije and Murphy, which is a question mark at the moment. If only Mason returns, I think we're looking at Cook/Thornton, Curry, Dawkins/Gbinije, Kelly, Mason, with Cook/Thornton, Murphy, Gbinije/Dawkins/Sulaimon, and Marshall. Of course, that will also leave virtually no minutes for one of either Sulaimon, Gbinije, or Dawkins and very few minutes for Hairston. If neither Mason nor Rivers return, then we have Cook/Thornton, Curry, Dawkins/Gbinije, Murphy/Hairston, and Kelly, with Cook/Thornton, Sulaimon/Gbinije/Dawkins, Murphy/Hairston, and Marshall on the bench. In that scenario, the only odd man out becomes one of Sulaimon, Gbinije, or Dawkins. Of course, that's assuming a 9-man rotation, which has not historically been Coach K's M.O. So we'll see.

In any case, we'll again have lots of theoretical depth (too much to even get all of our main recruits on the floor regularly), but certainly lots of questions. We'll have a variety of skill sets at our disposal (a playmaking PG, a taller perimeter player, an athletic but undersized PF, size and depth up front, lots of shooters). It's just that we'd still have mostly one-dimensional guys with some glaring limitations (unless they dramatically improve).

Granted, we'll likely be good enough to finish in the top 3 in the ACC (NC State could be really good next year and FSU and UNC will probably also be strong) and win 25 games pretty easily. So even with all of the questions, we'll be really good. It's just a question of whether or not we'll be good enough to mask our deficiencies to the extent that we did in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It seems like the concerns all season this year were as follows (in no particular order):
    - lack of size, quickness, and ballhandling in the backcourt
    - lack of quickness in the frontcourt (especially at the PF spot against quicker PF)
    - too much reliance on the 3pt shot
    - inability to prevent dribble penetration
    - difficulty forcing turnovers and thus easy points off turnovers

Actually, I think there was one bigger concern all season - and that was a lack of consistent focus, which led to inexplicable unforced errors on both offense and defense, and exacerbated some of the physical shortcoming you outlined.

It has seemed to me that the best use of our the Plumlees, who are extremely fast north-south runners and great leapers for big men, would have been to run a lot. We didn't. Part of that was our lack of ability to create turnovers. But many times, even with a chance to fast break, we slowed up in the backcourts and ran half court sets. That suggests to me that the coaching staff didn't trust our players decision making on the break enough to loose the reins. Part of that was Tyler playing so much point guard - but that was to compensate for other problems.

So my hope two initial hopes for next year are 1) An improved mental game - meaning improved communication, improved focus and improved intensity and 2) Tyler being able to consistently hit outside shots - because teams need to pay when he's left open (and there is a precedent for this at Duke - See Wojo, '98)

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    If Mason and Miles couldn't contain guys like zeller, what makes you think they wouldn't go to town on ryan? He's not strong enough to guard the 5, and probably will never be. Z could get away with it becuase he was giant...and pretty strong...He's plenty fast...I'm not sure there's a more mobile 4 in the conference...
    Fortunately, Mister Zeller's college career will be ending shortly. We'll have to worry about guarding McAdoo, Richard Howell and Ryan Anderson though. I'm assuming Henson goes pro.

I think Ryan Kelly can be a 1st team All-ACC performer next year. I think rebounding will be an issue for him, but if we are larger at the 3 next year, that will help mitigate the problem. Josh needs to get his rebounding hard hat ready. Alex and Silent G should be ready to go too!

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Actually, I think there was one bigger concern all season - and that was a lack of consistent focus, which led to inexplicable unforced errors on both offense and defense, and exacerbated some of the physical shortcoming you outlined.
    Totally agree. That area is another one that exists in the players that are returning. Hopefully the returning players improve in all areas, though some of those areas are easier to address than others.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Fortunately, Mister Zeller's college career will be ending shortly. We'll have to worry about guarding McAdoo, Richard Howell and Ryan Anderson though. I'm assuming Henson goes pro.

I think Ryan Kelly can be a 1st team All-ACC performer next year. I think rebounding will be an issue for him, but if we are larger at the 3 next year, that will help mitigate the problem. Josh needs to get his rebounding hard hat ready. Alex and Silent G should be ready to go too!
    Yeah, I'm firmly in the camp that thinks Kelly would be even better at C than he is at PF. He'd no longer have issues with quickness, and he'd be a matchup nightmare on the offensive end. And I think people are really overstating his issues with stronger players. He didn't really have to guard those guys very often this year. Instead, he was almost exclusively having to guard players quicker than him (pretty much every PF he faced this year had a quickness edge over him - very few could outmuscle him). With another year of strength training and working on his post game, I think he'd be a 2nd Team All-ACC guy at the 5. I think he'll be a 2nd or 3rd team All-ACC guy regardless. And things could get even better for him if Henson and Leslie join Zeller, Scott, and James as outgoing members of the conference.

But again, I think there's a very real possibility (I'd even speculate greater than 50% chance) that the center spot will be manned by a pair of Plumlees. So it may not even matter whether or not Kelly can play the 5.

I hate these threads. They ignore what we know to be true, and throw up pie in the sky projections - arm length? really?

These are things we know to be true, that have proven themselves out over the past season and in years past:

1) K does not care how tall you are. If you can play, you can play. In the past, we have seen Reggie Love, Shane Battier, and even DeMarcus Nelson as PF's. K does not pick positions based on height.

2) K prefers playing skill players over "potential" players. Unless an incoming freshman is an all-wordly recruit, (see: Luol Deng, Josh McRoberts, Austin Rivers for recent memory), unless it is out of dire positional need, K is not going to go "over" an existing player to play some freshman.

Those suggesting that Rasheed Sulaimon is going to come in next year and take over the SG spot need to reality check. Rasheed is a good recruit, not a great recruit. I expect him to sit on the bench his first year. There's nothing wrong with that. Nolan Smith pretty much sat on the bench his first year too. People expected Gbinije to come in this year, start from day 1 at the SF spot (we can have seth curry coming in off the bench!) and guard harrison barnes and lead us to championship glory.

3) The only caveat emptor I've seen the #2: If you can shoot the 3-ball, you will play. This is how Redick, Paulus, Scheyer, Kelly, and Dawkins all got significant PT their freshman years. Nolan Smith? not a great shooter 3 pt shooter (thought made significant progress as the years progressed) so he didn't play. Gbinjie? Not a great 3 point shooter, so he doesn't play. I expect that as he'll learn the system more, his minutes will improve.

Given all these things:

Alex Murphy and Marshall Plumlee - no one has seen a minute of basketball from them. To expect them to come in and be incredible - this is setting the bar too high IMO. If they were incredible, they would have played this year. My expectation from MP3 is a freshman year MP1 or freshman year MP2 - because that is what he'll be. I expect both's ceilings next year to be "capable" on the upper end. Murphy's may be higher, but the expectations regarding MP3 are out of control. Here is a center, who was not highly recruited, who was incredibly small coming into college, and now all of sudden is expected to be capable of guarding Zeller?

My opinion - if Rivers stays, and we don't get Bazz, we are still the same flawed team we are this year. One key aspect this year that I felt like we missed is FT's. I'm uncomfortable with Rivers playing a large portion of the offense if he continues to only hit 65% from the FT line. Great Duke guards take care of the charity stripe (see: Redick and Jon Scheyer). The Lehigh game, the FSU game, the Miami game - they take on a totally different complexion if we could simply learn to hit the FT's.

If Rivers goes (which I think is more likely) and we don't get Bazz (which is a toss up at this point) - look out and keep your expectations in check. We're not going to be that great next year (by duke standards). We'll have to shoot the 3 to score points, and we'll have a crying big man need. We'll probably be a 4-5 seed, maybe make some noise in the dance, but that's okay with me, b/c we're doing it the Duke way and laying up an excellent, athletic foundation for future years. Gbinije, Murphy, and Rasheed are all athletic, smart basketball players who could be really something by their junior and senior years.

The one glaring problem to me was the lack of intensity brought by the team this year...that HAS to be addressed, it came across as if at time we we're juts playing cause we were already out there and not that we wanted to actually take it to our opponent. They're are way too many passive attitudes on this team, Tyler was the only one who showed that fire consistently and unfortunately his skill level doesn't match his heart but he has that dog in him that we need, we just needed it from others also....Watching the end of Kansas game specifically last night and just watching the emotion and intensity coming from Robinson, and Taylor among others after a big play down the stretch...you could see how much they wanted it, it wasn't about talent or rankings or stats it was all about what's inside. For whatever reason no one seemed to be able to get that out of this team, not K, not Tyler it just wasn't there...hopefully next year being seniors Seth, Ryan, Dre, and Mason (maybe) get that sense of urgency and desire to really leave their mark on the program.

Whither the seniors?

In my view, the key to next year's team will lie in the class of 2013 (and I'm guessing Mason returns).

Off-hand, I can't recall a Duke class which has had a harder time establishing some consistency.
    Mason, Dre, Seth, Ryan---each can and has had big games, and had other games where they almost totally disappeared.

Mason---got to work on hitting a 10 to 15 foot jump shot.
    Dre --- got to improve his ball handling, continue to improve on defense, and play at a more even emotional pitch
    Seth --- ball handling, leadership development, react better to big game pressure
    Ryan -- will need more rebounding, avoid periods of passivity

For all -- will they step up and take ownership of this team?

A good team can be developed with more reliance on underclassman, but the most direct path to success is by better play from the rising seniors.