Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
    For whatever it is worth, Lunardi has us as a #4 seed in his latest bracketology. I personally was thinking probably a low 2 or at worst a high 3 but its interesting water cooler talk.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    For whatever it is worth, Lunardi has us as a #4 seed in his latest bracketology. I personally was thinking probably a low 2 or at worst a high 3 but its interesting water cooler talk.
    Good, I hope everyone outside of Durham keeps thinking that. Personally, I'll be very surprised if we're worse than a #2 seed, but not surprised at all if we're seeded better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Good, I hope everyone outside of Durham keeps thinking that. Personally, I'll be very surprised if we're worse than a #2 seed, but not surprised at all if we're seeded better.
    Agreed. While we will have many returning players from '11-'12, this is going to be a very different team. With Austin gone, the offense will look completely different. With (hopefully) Quinn Cook stronger at the point on both sides of the ball, there will be much less one on one play and more team ball on the offensive end. Similarly, Alex and Rasheed give us two dynamic and versatile pieces we didn't have last year on defense. Finally, Mason, Ryan, and Seth have all spent four years in the program. They are all already quality players who have experienced the high of a national championship and the low of a first round exit. Their experience and leadership will help fortify this team. Those who see the same team sans Austin are doing lazy analysis, but hey, it allows Duke to sneak up on people, which is rare for such a high profile team.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Agreed. While we will have many returning players from '11-'12, this is going to be a very different team. With Austin gone, the offense will look completely different. With (hopefully) Quinn Cook stronger at the point on both sides of the ball, there will be much less one on one play and more team ball on the offensive end. Similarly, Alex and Rasheed give us two dynamic and versatile pieces we didn't have last year on defense. Finally, Mason, Ryan, and Seth have all spent four years in the program. They are all already quality players who have experienced the high of a national championship and the low of a first round exit. Their experience and leadership will help fortify this team. Those who see the same team sans Austin are doing lazy analysis, but hey, it allows Duke to sneak up on people, which is rare for such a high profile team.
    100% agree that this team will look nothing like last year's team. But last year's biggest issue - perimeter defense - is still a massive question mark. I know that Sulaimon has a rep for D, but I really don't want to jump to any conclusions. If anyone can comment on Alex's D, I'd be curious to know how it is. I know that Quinn was injured last year, and that hurt his ability to guard other players, but is 100% healthy Quinn a good defender? We know that Seth can maintain his man, but calling him anything close to a stopper isn't realistic.

Despite these questions, I am really optimistic about this year's team. I too think that we'll be a 2 seed at the min and most likely a 1 seed given a stronger (and unpredictable) ACC and our strong upperclassmen. I think this may be the best offensive frontcourt we've had since Deng / Williams and our versatility / depth should be a huge asset. As many posters / media have commented, I really think that Quinn is the difference-maker. If he can a) drive nearly at will, b) pass effectively to the post, c) keep his defender in check, and d) keep turnovers down, we'll go far. This is a lot to ask of a sophomore, but the best part of sophomores is that they aren't freshman.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

If the rotation doesn't get too short too early, and the guys don't wear down, this team will be better late than early in the season. We have many question marks, but clearly are not last year minus Austin. Be interesting to see who becomes the leader(s). Now if Rodney Hood could play, this team would be really special.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    100% agree that this team will look nothing like last year's team. But last year's biggest issue - perimeter defense - is still a massive question mark. I know that Sulaimon has a rep for D, but I really don't want to jump to any conclusions. If anyone can comment on Alex's D, I'd be curious to know how it is. I know that Quinn was injured last year, and that hurt his ability to guard other players, but is 100% healthy Quinn a good defender? We know that Seth can maintain his man, but calling him anything close to a stopper isn't realistic.

Despite these questions, I am really optimistic about this year's team. I too think that we'll be a 2 seed at the min and most likely a 1 seed given a stronger (and unpredictable) ACC and our strong upperclassmen. I think this may be the best offensive frontcourt we've had since Deng / Williams and our versatility / depth should be a huge asset. As many posters / media have commented, I really think that Quinn is the difference-maker. If he can a) drive nearly at will, b) pass effectively to the post, c) keep his defender in check, and d) keep turnovers down, we'll go far. This is a lot to ask of a sophomore, but the best part of sophomores is that they aren't freshman.
    I promise you that rep is well deserved. I have high confidence that Rasheed will be an excellent on ball defender from the get go. How fast he picks up the team defensive scheme's is something to take a wait and see approach on, and that will be a factor with playing time. He has the body, and the quickness, and I think folks will be pleasantly surprised at his strength. Can he communicate effectively, recognize switches, help & recover, and defend without fouling? I think he can but it's something we won't know until a few games in.

I am betting the answer is yes on all counts. Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong there.

On another note, everyone ok if we started a new pre-season thread about potential starting 5 and rotation for the upcoming season? I will put that up if folks think it's time to have a new fresh thread for that topic. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    If the rotation doesn't get too short too early, and the guys don't wear down, this team will be better late than early in the season. We have many question marks, but clearly are not last year minus Austin. Be interesting to see who becomes the leader(s). Now if Rodney Hood could play, this team would be really special.
    Well we're minus Miles as well as Austin but I really expect a much better team with 3 seniors leading the way. I expect Mason to have a first team All ACC caliber year and Ryan could join him. I hope Quin's knee holds up and enables him to play solid defense and get our running game going some. We don't need too much scoring from QC it will be a major improvement if he can give us 25 solid mpg. We have so much depth that I feelm confident that someone else will break out between our redshirt and true freshman and QC. TT and Josh seem to be forgotten sometimes but I think they will both show improvement too. Clearly I'm biased but I think Duke should be the clear preseason favorite in the ACC for whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    On another note, everyone ok if we started a new pre-season thread about potential starting 5 and rotation for the upcoming season? I will put that up if folks think it's time to have a new fresh thread for that topic. Thanks
    Hi Newton_14, myself, I would would welcome a new pre-season thread on the potential starting 5 and rotation for the new season. This particular thread was begun just after a heartbreaking 1st-round loss, and in my humble opinion, has served its course. A new season is upon us. Let us begin anew. I did not post anything during the past bball season for the first time since maybe '97 during the Julio Vision days. I would of course be filled with egomania if I were to believe I was the cause of our demise this past season. Still, I would like to post at least once during the upcoming season, even though I fully admit that I am well past my prime, and that the new guard is so much more competent and light-years beyond what I could hope to express. I love the new guard here, but please note that there are some old-timers here who have much to offer. I could name many, including pfr, blueface, cameron, billydat, dkbaseball, roywhite, mrtgr, Dukedevildeb, kewlswim, DukeLifer (what a great poster!!!) and many others. Really, despite the differences of opinion, these veterans have so much wisdom to offer. I LOVE their perspectives. And of course, I appreciate the moderators, who allow us to share our perspectives, esp j-k. And of course, Jason Evans, and Olympic Fan. I don't know if they send out pitchforks (hey, I don't need any, as I'm quite comfortable with my 1 "cameron crazy" fork), but some of the regulars may need some encouragement. I didn't post at all during the past season, and yet this was the 1st season we lost in the 1st round. Coincidence? Yes, definitely. I plan to post at least once this season, and most likely only once, so as not to jinx us. After that, I will leave it up to you guys. Having said that, I would like to echo Newton's proposal that we begin a new thread, as a new season is upon us. Cheers, and best of luck to all of you... and to all Duke fans everywhere.
    Last edited by micah75; 08-15-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14;589332I
    am betting the answer is yes on all counts. Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong there.
    Ain't nuttin wrong in eatin' crow. Been there, done that. I have great respect for your position. Forgot to mention BlueintheFace's contribution, but I love his posts. Hey... we all have our faves. I have mine. I surely won't call you out if you're wrong. Would LOVE to see another Final 4. I think we can, I think we can, I think we can. Prove me wrong, and I'll eat crow as well. Will eat it with great gusto. If I'm wrong. But will I be wrong? You tell me.

from front page

No idea where to put this (as it is the exact opposite of this thread title), but I thought this was a fairly shocking paragraph from Barry Jacobs:

Duke really sucked, but Krzyzewski did a great job coaching that team,” an admiring ACC assistant confided rather harshly. Some observers considered it one of the Hall of Famer’s best coaching jobs. One of his assistants, asked about the team at mid-season, said the Blue Devils’ success was a product of “smoke and mirrors.

I mean... whoa. I don't if I can remember ever hearing something quite that harsh that from our own staff.