Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Duke isn't interested. He's obviously got some baggage.
    Certainly possible. Always a challenge to parse tweets, but "will not consider Duke," without a reason, doesn't indicate whose choice that decision was or why it was made. Perhaps he will not consider Duke because, for whatever reason, he doesn't think the school would be a good fit for him, or perhaps he will not consider Duke because he has received some informal indication that that option isn't currently available.

Nothing to wonder

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I wonder why he isn't willing to consider Duke? Could it be because of some perceived bad blood between Duke and Uconn or just simply the fact that he isn't interested in Duke?
    Is it that difficult to understand why he isn't considering Duke?
    1. UNC is known for developing bigs and lately there is a perception out there that Duke is much more of school of guards.
    2. Assuming KM stays, it means bigs are going to get plenty of touches inside. Pretty much their entire offense runs through bigs. And our's doesn't. Even if our bigs are open, I haven't seen the ball go inside many times this year except when Quinn cook is playing PG. Quinn makes a conscious effort to feed it inside and makes good passes.
    3. Assuming Henson is gone and JMM doesn't, that's an opportunity for immediate playing time especially given that rest of the bigs on their roster are either incoming freshmen or foul prone tweeners (desmond hubert).
    4. A chance of going to NBA by playing with KM and JMM, especially given they produce atleast one big as lottery pick every year.

Being objective, I would do the same if I was in his shoes but I am allergic to everything UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by IBleedBlue View Post
    Is it that difficult to understand why he isn't considering Duke?
    1. UNC is known for developing bigs and lately there is a perception out there that Duke is much more of school of guards.
    2. Assuming KM stays, it means bigs are going to get plenty of touches inside. Pretty much their entire offense runs through bigs. And our's doesn't. Even if our bigs are open, I haven't seen the ball go inside many times this year except when Quinn cook is playing PG. Quinn makes a conscious effort to feed it inside and makes good passes.
    3. Assuming Henson is gone and JMM doesn't, that's an opportunity for immediate playing time especially given that rest of the bigs on their roster are either incoming freshmen or foul prone tweeners (desmond hubert).
    4. A chance of going to NBA by playing with KM and JMM, especially given they produce atleast one big as lottery pick every year.

Being objective, I would do the same if I was in his shoes but I am allergic to everything UNC.
    Yeah agreed, by now it would be a surprise for any top post player to seriously consider Duke. Why come to a guard-centric program whose guards don't feed the open man in the post?

He's going to be a senior. I don't think he's worrying about being "developed."

2. Assuming KM stays, it means bigs are going to get plenty of touches inside. Pretty much their entire offense runs through bigs.
    He's not a player who focuses on offense. His usage rates at UConn were pretty low. If this was a deciding factor, he would have transferred out of there years ago.

Assuming Mason is gone there's more opportunity for immediate playing time at Duke.

Ultimately, I'd be very surprised if this were a Duke vs. UNC issue. Either he has a specific reason for not considering Duke or he's been told we're not interested.

It is very possible that Duke is not interested in him. Why use a scholarship on a one year player who carries a good bit of baggage with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    It is very possible that Duke is not interested in him. Why use a scholarship on a one year player who carries a good bit of baggage with him.
    Along the same lines... Has anyone considered that it may be because Duke is in good standing with Tony Parker and/or Amile Jefferson?

N&O

J.P Giglio expects Mason to go, which would leave us with the following lineup:

Duke (27-7 overall, 13-3 ACC)
    G Quinn Cook, soph. (4.4 ppg, 1.9 apg)
    G Seth Curry, sr. (13.2 ppg, 2.4 apg)
    G Andre Dawkins, sr. (8.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg)
    F Ryan Kelly, sr. (11.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg)
    F Marshall Plumlee, r-fr.

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...#storylink=cpy

He expects that this lineup represents a step back from this year's 13-3 ACC record, but all that could change with our potential recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Oh well. Too bad. Hopefully Mason will decide to stick around for his senior year. He'd be better than Oriakhi anyway.
    Agreed. Oriakhi is being overrated. Below-average scorer, average hands, laughable passer, decent rebounder, very good defender. We could use him and he'd help, but I'm almost happy to not have to read "why aren't we getting the ball inside to Oriakhi" posts all next season.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    J.P Giglio expects Mason to go, which would leave us with the following lineup:

Duke (27-7 overall, 13-3 ACC)
    G Quinn Cook, soph. (4.4 ppg, 1.9 apg)
    G Seth Curry, sr. (13.2 ppg, 2.4 apg)
    G Andre Dawkins, sr. (8.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg)
    F Ryan Kelly, sr. (11.8 ppg, 5.4 rpg)
    F Marshall Plumlee, r-fr.

Read more here: http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow...#storylink=cpy

He expects that this lineup represents a step back from this year's 13-3 ACC record, but all that could change with our potential recruits.
    Giglio is right - that starting lineup WOULD be a step back. I'm going to say there's only a 0.0001% chance it will occur though.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Agreed. Oriakhi is being overrated. Below-average scorer, average hands, laughable passer, decent rebounder, very good defender. We could use him and he'd help, but I'm almost happy to not have to read "why aren't we getting the ball inside to Oriakhi" posts all next season.
    Looks like earlier reports my have been premature...

Jeff Goodman ‏ @GoodmanCBS
    Duke will make a play for UConn transfer Alex Oriakhi, sources told CBSSports.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Giglio is right - that starting lineup WOULD be a step back. I'm going to say there's only a 0.0001% chance it will occur though.
    I think it will be:

Cook 6-0 Fr
    Ziegler 6-5 Jr
    Murphy 6-9 RFr
    Hairston 6-8 Jr
    Kelly 6-11 Sr

Not actually too bad if all the rest really improve and Ziegler is a stud.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I think it will be:

Cook 6-0 Fr
    Ziegler 6-5 Jr
    Murphy 6-9 RFr
    Hairston 6-8 Jr
    Kelly 6-11 Sr

First, your starting 2 guard is not in a Duke uniform yet. Second, he's almost certainly going to have to sit out next year even if he transfers in. Third, we will have two senior 2 guards who, between them started 46 games last season, with Seth starting all but 2. I will wager a not insignificant amount of money that Trey Ziegler does not displace both Curry and Dawkins from the starting lineup for any game next season.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I think it will be:

Cook 6-0 Fr
    Ziegler 6-5 Jr
    Murphy 6-9 RFr
    Hairston 6-8 Jr
    Kelly 6-11 Sr

It would be really weird to have Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins and Rasheed Sulaimon on the bench while on the court the only guy who could shoot from the outside is the center.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    It would be really weird to have Seth Curry, Andre Dawkins and Rasheed Sulaimon on the bench while on the court the only guy who could shoot from the outside is the center.
    Agreed. I see basically 0% chance of that lineup occurring. Basically, I see no way Curry isn't starting next year (assuming he returns for his senior year). The only question I see is whether he's playing PG or SG. And that will be determined by both his development as well as the development of those around him.

Starters Return to the Lineup?

I am having trouble with the logic on the thread -- but hey! Who cares? This is the time to dream about possible lineups in the future.

As it turns out, Duke returns three players who started 82 games -- Ryan, Tyler and Seth. BTW, that's a good thing. Aren't they starters on day one next year? And if Mason comes back, after starting 31 out of 34 gamesd, he figures to be a starter as well. I agree that it would be wonderful for a healthy Quinn to turn into an offensive demon and a good defender. As it stands now, TT brings the leadership and toughness that K likes (watch who's in the lineup when the bodies start flying).

But for the advocates of change, all is not lost: We got a definite opening for a wingman like Alex or Silent G or Rasheed or a much-improved Andre.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agreed. I see basically 0% chance of that lineup occurring. Basically, I see no way Curry isn't starting next year (assuming he returns for his senior year). The only question I see is whether he's playing PG or SG. And that will be determined by both his development as well as the development of those around him.
    I don't think Curry will start at PG. It'd be pretty shocking to me if neither Thornton or Cook progressed enough to have the PG starting spot locked up next year. To jump in on the fun, I'll guess:

PG Cook or Thornton
    SG Curry
    SF Dawkins or Murphy
    PF Murphy or Hairston
    C Kelly

With Plumlee as the 8th guy in the rotation. Gbinje plays the role Hairston did this year - foul trouble or injury related minutes.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I will say it again. Sleeping on Rasheed Suliamon is a mistake. Dude can ball.

I hope the American Gigilo JP Giglio has no idea what he is talking about regarding Mason, and it's just his uninformed opinion. I really want Mason to come back. Time will tell. No matter who starts, I expect that Rasheed, Murphy, and Gbinije will all get minutes next year. Andre is a bit of a wildcard for me. The jumper is such a weapon. If he could just get to a point where he could put it on the floor, and use his hops to rise up for the midrange jumper off one or two dribbles, along with also taking it all the way to the hoop to finish with strong dunks or draw fouls, he would be a different player. Just do that and improve his defense a little more. Time is running out though. There is no guarantee he figures it out. I hate it because he has been one of my favorites since day 1.

I just cannot see K playing another year of 3 shrimps on the perimeter for 80-90% of the game. Some of the taller wings with length are going to get opportunities. Just my opinion. I love Seth, Quinn, and Tyler. All have great qualities with Seth being obviously the most lethal at this point, but I do think a max of 2 of them will be on the floor at the same time, and there will be times when only one of them are on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I will say it again. Sleeping on Rasheed Suliamon is a mistake. Dude can ball.

I hope the American Gigilo JP Giglio has no idea what he is talking about regarding Mason, and it's just his uninformed opinion. I really want Mason to come back. Time will tell. No matter who starts, I expect that Rasheed, Murphy, and Gbinije will all get minutes next year. Andre is a bit of a wildcard for me. The jumper is such a weapon. If he could just get to a point where he could put it on the floor, and use his hops to rise up for the midrange jumper off one or two dribbles, along with also taking it all the way to the hoop to finish with strong dunks or draw fouls, he would be a different player. Just do that and improve his defense a little more. Time is running out though. There is no guarantee he figures it out. I hate it because he has been one of my favorites since day 1.

I just cannot see K playing another year of 3 shrimps on the perimeter for 80-90% of the game. Some of the taller wings with length are going to get opportunities. Just my opinion. I love Seth, Quinn, and Tyler. All have great qualities with Seth being obviously the most lethal at this point, but I do think a max of 2 of them will be on the floor at the same time, and there will be times when only one of them are on the floor.
    Despite the mantra of you have to play defense to get on the floor that is often posted here. In the case of Dre that isn't 100% true. When he's on Coach K has no problem living with his shortcomings on the defensive end of the floor.

It always boils down to what each kid brings to the table in comparison to his peers. If Dre can score and score consistently then he will be on the court. He made several nice midrange moves near the end of the season and while some of them weren't converted he at least made the effort. The physical tools are there, but I'm not sure the confidence is.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    The physical tools are there, but I'm not sure the confidence is.
    A lot depends on how his off-season goes. If he feels like he's advancing, if the game slows down a little for him, if K treats him like someone who won't get benched the minute he makes a mistake, then the confidence will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    A lot depends on how his off-season goes. If he feels like he's advancing, if the game slows down a little for him, if K treats him like someone who won't get benched the minute he makes a mistake, then the confidence will come.
    The skill just isn't there...he hasn't even shown flashes of it, he's a one dimensional player...that sucks to say b/c I thought he was going to be a huge star...but it's not there, hopefully he can finish his Sr year strong and stay consistent throughout it but those expecting him to come back with these new wrinkles to his game are going to be be disappointed