Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Whatever that guy's smoking, I'd be interested in a sample.
    Reminds me of an NBA draft... specualtion based on potential that is in most cases overblown... Never count UNC out, but the preseason polls I have seen have UNC way too high and Duke too low, which by the way, I like that...

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Reminds me of an NBA draft... specualtion based on potential that is in most cases overblown... Never count UNC out, but the preseason polls I have seen have UNC way too high and Duke too low, which by the way, I like that...
    Could go either way with UNC next year.

Plenty of talent but not much upperclassmen leadership, like a couple of years ago when Zeller was the junior but had not played all that much due to injuries. The only upperclassmen are Seniors McDonald and Strickland but 2 years of eligibility left, and junior Bullock.

Does not help that their promising PG Paige is hurt and cannot practice for a while. UNC success could hinge on whether he plays like Drew II or like Kendall Marshall.

For purposes of this I won't count transfers who become eligible or guys who never played that may be walk-ons, the leaders in ACC upperclassmen this year are:

7 - Miami [R Brown, Swope, D Scott, McK-Jones, G Adams, Kadij and R Johnson]

6 - GA Tech [D Miller, J Morris, Reed, Holsey, Hicks and Udofia]

5 - NC State [LoBrown, C J Leslie, Howell, Vandenberg and Wood] and Duke assuming Dawkins red-shirts

4 - FSU [O White, Ian Miller, T Shannon and Snaer not counting Turpin]

3 - UVA [J Harris, A Mitchell, J Evans] , VA Tech [C Raines, J Eddie, E Green] and UNC

2 - MD [Stoglin and Padgett] , Clemson [Booker and Jennings], Wake [McKie and C J Harris] and BC [Moton and Rubin]

I may have missed some guys that were coming back from red-shirt injuries.

Having top recruits past 2 years or Euro players can also offset a lack of ACC whiskers.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    The only upperclassmen are Seniors McDonald and Strickland but 2 years of eligibility left...
    Strickland played 19 games as a junior. Surely he doesn't have two years of eligibility left?

For purposes of this I won't count transfers who become eligible or guys who never played that may be walk-ons, the leaders in ACC upperclassmen this year are:

6 - GA Tech [D Miller, J Morris, Reed, Holsey, Hicks and Udofia]

5 - NC State [LoBrown, C J Leslie, Howell, Vandenberg and Wood] and Duke assuming Dawkins red-shirts

3 - UVA [J Harris, A Mitchell, J Evans] , VA Tech [C Raines, J Eddie, E Green] and UNC

2 - MD [Stoglin and Padgett] , Clemson [Booker and Jennings], Wake [McKie and C J Harris] and BC [Moton and Rubin]

Having top recruits past 2 years or Euro players can also offset a lack of ACC whiskers.
    Based on this table, I predict Miami is a top four ACC team, that Georgia Tech will do better than expected, and that Maryland will do worse than expected. UVa and UNC are probably also at risk to do worse than expected.

Miami could be scary. Johnson/Kadji could realistically be the best frontcourt in the country, and Durand Scott isn't a bad complement on the perimeter. Not to mention rising SO Shane Larkin, who was looking like one of the better PGs in the conference late last season.

Based on this table, I predict Miami is a top four ACC team, that Georgia Tech will do better than expected, and that Maryland will do worse than expected. UVa and UNC are probably also at risk to do worse than expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Miami could be scary. Johnson/Kadji could realistically be the best frontcourt in the country, and Durand Scott isn't a bad complement on the perimeter. Not to mention rising SO Shane Larkin, who was looking like one of the better PGs in the conference late last season.
    I'm on the Miami bandwagon, too. Kedsy's table is valuable, not only for the league generally, but because it reminds me to add three names to Greg_Newton's rundown of Miami's roster. I expect Rion Brown, Trey McKinney Jones, and Garrius Adams to have solid years. Adams was injured some last season, but he's got talent. Brown and McKinney Jones are pretty effective 3-bombers, so along with Kadji, the 'Canes can match our Devils for long threats; and if Andre redshirts, the 'Canes look even more impressive compared with the Devils in that regard.

In fact, why not say the 'Canes, 'Pack, and Devils will fight for #1? Might guess it comes down to unbalanced mess. Heels, too, I suppose, though it's at least plausible to claim Heels have more questions than these other 3, at least in terms of experience [per Kedsy's list and "at risk" comment].

I tend to "rank" teams based on talent, experience, and depth. Unless one thinks McAdoo will be even better than I think he will be - an emerging star - Heels come in 4th on the preseason talent/experience/depth scale.

Does seem as though these 4 are obvious top-tier, yes? Would anyone claim either (a) another team [FSU?] seems on paper ahead of any of these 4, or (2) that we can break down this top tier further?

I'll guess, right now, tiers 1-3:

1. Miami, Duke, NCSt
    4. UNC

5. FSU, Md
    7. VaT

8. Clemson
    9. UVa
    10. GT
    11. BC
    12. Wake

A belated thanks to DevilBen02 for this good link. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBen02 View Post
    CBS also posted some Tempo-free predictions for 2012-13, and these numbers suggest that Duke will win the ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    [per Kedsy's list and "at risk" comment]
    While I did make the "at risk" comments, it's only fair to note the excellent table/list itself was compiled by ACCBBallFan.

Also, looking at your list, I suspect FSU will be closer to UNC than to Maryland, and that UVa and Georgia Tech will both be better than Virginia Tech (who will probably be a complete mess next season; my guess is they'll end up in your bottom tier). Maybe something like:

Tier 1: Duke, NC State, Miami
    Tier 2: UNC, Florida State (although either team could possibly fight its way into the upper tier)
    Tier 3: Maryland, UVa, Ga Tech
    Tier 4: Va Tech, Clemson, BC, Wake

http://247sports.com/Article/50-Team...Bracket-71688?

Perhaps a tad too generous as this site has NC State #3 in nation as opposed to competing for top 3 in ACC.

While I did make the "at risk" comments, it's only fair to note the excellent table/list itself was compiled by ACCBBallFan.

Also, looking at your list, I suspect FSU will be closer to UNC than to Maryland, and that UVa and Georgia Tech will both be better than Virginia Tech (who will probably be a complete mess next season; my guess is they'll end up in your bottom tier). Maybe something like:

Tier 2: UNC, Florida State (although either team could possibly fight its way into the upper tier)
    Thanks for the correction re ACCBBallFan's valuable table. Sloopy, not to mention sloppy, reading on my part.

After I get past the top 5 teams - no sure thing those 5, either - I'm mostly lost. I do think Md comes next, as I think Len will be pretty good. Stoglin is returning, yes? Faust can play some, and they have a promising incoming group. But after that, just guessing the order.

But what interests me is your agreement that, on paper [talent/experience/depth], Miami, not UNC, joins Pack and Devils in top tier. I do see your qualifier [UNC or FSU "possibly" top tier], but at least tentatively you, too, think the Heels have more ?-marks and thus drop a little, pre-pre-season.

If other Duke posters join the Miami bandwagon, I'd think outside of some Miami fan-board, EK would be the only place to think so highly of the Canes just now.

But what interests me is your agreement that, on paper [talent/experience/depth], Miami, not UNC, joins Pack and Devils in top tier. I do see your qualifier [UNC or FSU "possibly" top tier], but at least tentatively you, too, think the Heels have more ?-marks and thus drop a little, pre-pre-season.
    Yes, I agree with you. For a couple years now I've thought Miami was primed to break out, and now I think it's finally their year. And when I look at UNC's roster I don't understand why everyone has them rated so high. They have one hotshot frontcourt player in McAdoo, a few one-dimensional wing players (Strickland is fast and a good defender; McDonald can shoot; Hairston supposedly can shoot, although we haven't really seen it yet), a good but not great SF in Bullock, a top 30ish freshman PG coming off an injury, and a few young and probably unspectacular big bodies. Doesn't sound like a better team than any of Duke, NCSU, Miami, or FSU. I'll give them some benefit of the doubt because they're UNC and they usually end up in the thick of things, but on paper they don't impress me as much as they appear to impress the talking heads.

Yeah, I was probably a little too bullish on Miami last year, but I think they could be VERY good next year. It'll be year 2 in the new coach's system. Their PG will be a sophomore. They have 3 guys who could very conceivably become 1st team All-ACC players, and plenty of athleticism to go along with probably the best frontcourt in the ACC and one of the better ones in the nation.

UNC and FSU have a lot of questions to answer, but I agree they are above Maryland UVa, and either of the Techs.

By his standards, Malcolm Grant had an awful senior year last year.

Reggie Johnson was hurt in early part of season though you couldn't tell that when he played against Duke.

Dequan Jones was under investigation by NCAA.

Haivng Shane Larkin in place the whole year after his growth in freshman year should pay dividends.

After Hansbrough's freshman year success, I always go with Duke and UNC as two of the top 3 and pick one other.

Right now I would give that edge to NC State over Miami or FSU or MD, but waiting to see the ACC unbalanced schedule before I finalize.

Edit - Not that they would be at top of ACC anyway, but GA Tech has 5 upperclassmen because Hicks is transferring

Could go either way with UNC next year.

Plenty of talent but not much upperclassmen leadership, like a couple of years ago when Zeller was the junior but had not played all that much due to injuries. The only upperclassmen are Seniors McDonald and Strickland but 2 years of eligibility left, and junior Bullock.

Does not help that their promising PG Paige is hurt and cannot practice for a while. UNC success could hinge on whether he plays like Drew II or like Kendall Marshall.

5 - GA Tech [D Miller, J Morris, Reed, Holsey, and Udofia] edit - Hicks transferring

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Different season, different look. But don't think the Heels will be weak.

UNC will not have a proven option to go along with MacAdoo inside, and will rely more on quickness and shooting than the inside post offense of recent past teams, but I think they are strong at every other position, assuming everyone's health is back form.

Strickland at the point is not a problem. He was doing very well at the point before his injury. He looks to have a quality backup from freshman Paige, and transfer Luke Davis who has a year of practice under his belt.

The 2g spot is Leslie MacDonald's. He has some serious game and people are forgetting that around here. He'll be backed up by PJ Hairston. If he can find his confidence and stroke after a tough freshman season, he could make major strides. He is strong and has talent.

Bullock will be the SF. He's a first round NBA pick some day, and it may be after next season. Super athletic freshman Tokoto will back him up.

MacAdoo will break out with more touches next season, you can see it coming. He is all-ACC material. Maybe even AA.

The question is the other post position for the Heels. Desmond Hubert is not offensively polished, and lacks strength. Like Hubert, freshman Brice Johnson is said to be more offensively polished, long and even more athletic, but needs strength too. Freshman Joel James has the size/strength, some intensity they say, but is a raw talent likely to need time.

We could see a lot more of a trapping defensive team from UNC next year, and there is a real potential they can be very good at it.

I'm thinking we see a starting season and crunch time line up of Strickland, MacDonald, Bullock, Johnson, MacAdoo with lots of defensive pressure on the ball.

And I think we see lots of PJ, Paige, Hubert, and Tokoto in the rotation to maintain the pressure. Maybe James slips in against some teams with really strong post play.

Good shooting is a must next season from the 2 and 3 spots, as well as an "attack the glass" attitude. I would consider final 8 the standard to shoot for and anything else gravy.

I know we are off topic for this thread, just responding to previous posts. Please move if needed...
    I've imported this from the Amile Jefferson thread. Lots of good talking points here.

Although I think this will be a slightly down year for the Heels, I don't disagree that they still have talent. On the basis of talent/experience/depth, however, the Heels may have a few more questions than Miami, Duke, NCSt. I'll be surprised, and of course disappointed, if UNC winds up #1 in ACC at end of season. I still have them preseason ACC #4. While I wouldn't say it would be crazy for anyone to claim that, on paper in terms of talent/experience/depth, they're #1, I would say it's a stretch. [I realize Wheat has not made such a prediction here.]

I disagreed with Wheat last year re Strickland's PG skills, who, IMO, will at best share the PG duties with Paige by ACC-time. I may be underestimating Strickland as a steady PG, or overestimating how quickly Paige will emerge. Strickland knows the system, but Paige is the more natural PG.

IIRC, Wheat earlier posted that James, not Johnson, was more likely to get substantial PT. But in this post, Johnson gets a bit more attention. I guess it will come down to which of Hubert, Johnson, and James picks up the system; and maybe which is the best matchup fit from game to game.

I agree that McAdoo will star. Also that Heels have to have some consistency with 3-bombs.

I also agree that Elite Eight is a fair "standard to shoot for," as long as that means for any team preseason top 12-15 nationally. That is, I just don't see the Heels as preseason top 6-8. Too many questions.

Within the ACC, NCSt and Miami especially should be "smelling blood" when they play both Duke and UNC, but especially UNC. UNC should hope it plays Canes only once this season.

I've imported this from the Amile Jefferson thread. Lots of good talking points here.

Although I think this will be a slightly down year for the Heels, I don't disagree that they still have talent. On the basis of talent/experience/depth, however, the Heels may have a few more questions than Miami, Duke, NCSt. I'll be surprised, and of course disappointed, if UNC winds up #1 in ACC at end of season. I still have them preseason ACC #4. While I wouldn't say it would be crazy for anyone to claim that, on paper in terms of talent/experience/depth, they're #1, I would say it's a stretch. [I realize Wheat has not made such a prediction here.]

I disagreed with Wheat last year re Strickland's PG skills, who, IMO, will at best share the PG duties with Paige by ACC-time. I may be underestimating Strickland as a steady PG, or overestimating how quickly Paige will emerge. Strickland knows the system, but Paige is the more natural PG.

IIRC, Wheat earlier posted that James, not Johnson, was more likely to get substantial PT. But in this post, Johnson gets a bit more attention. I guess it will come down to which of Hubert, Johnson, and James picks up the system; and maybe which is the best matchup fit from game to game.

I agree that McAdoo will star. Also that Heels have to have some consistency with 3-bombs.

I also agree that Elite Eight is a fair "standard to shoot for," as long as that means for any team preseason top 12-15 nationally. That is, I just don't see the Heels as preseason top 6-8. Too many questions.

Within the ACC, NCSt and Miami especially should be "smelling blood" when they play both Duke and UNC, but especially UNC. UNC should hope it plays Canes only once this season.
    Excellent post. I agree with everythin until the last. I am thinking that, from the Duke perspective, I would rather play the better teams twice. I want our team to get repetitions in against tough opponents and the heck with the regular season title. But the unbalanced schedule is somewhat random so what anybody wants is probably irrelevant.
    The Gordog

While I have on occasion in the past been guilty of underestimating the Tar Heels, I'm not seeing them as a top team this coming season. Strickland's biggest strengths are his speed (without the ball) and his defense. His handle has always struck me as a little too erratic and out-of-control. He's a good wing in UNC's system but at PG he'll be adequate at best. Paige might be able to handle the point, but at his high school ranking he's a major question mark in that regard.

To say McDonald has "serious game" is somewhat of an overstatement. He was ranked #44 (RSCI) out of high school, barely played his freshman year, showed himself to be a pretty good outside shooter in limited minutes his sophomore year, and looked poised to increase his role when he was injured before his junior season. Obviously I haven't seen him in practice or anything, but to me he appears to be a role-player/outside threat. Bullock was highly regarded coming out of high school, has good size for a SG/WF swingman, and has shown he can hit an outside shot when left alone. While I expect improvement from him over his middling sophomore season performance, I'll be shocked if Wheat's suggestion that he may be a first round NBA pick after this season comes true.

I expect McAdoo to be a first team All-ACC performer. I need to see more before I believe he'll be the kind of player who can carry an otherwise mediocre team on his back. As far as UNC's other big player, the team should feel fortunate if they get consistent defense and rebounding from that spot.

As far as Final Eight being something UNC could shoot for, I could agree with that, but that doesn't mean it's particularly likely. Worse teams have ridden one star player that far or even further, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I agree with gumbo that UNC's pre-season spot should be 3rd or 4th in the ACC, 15th to 18th nationally.

I'm glad to see the board is in typical preseason form. I love how all of our returning players will be the greatest things since sliced bread, yet players from other teams will be lucky if they make any improvement at all during the off season.

Strickland's game was all about speed and I question if his knee will be 100% healthy. I also love that they used him as a SG even though he couldn't shoot. This season I can see him used in his natural PG position and while I did read that his shot had improved prior to the start of last season, I'm still not sold on him.

Now McDonald is another story. He's had a lot more time to get healthy from his surgery and he was supposed to play a much larger role for the heels last year prior to his injury. I wouldn't sleep on this kid, he'll be a glue guy for that team and a very solid contributor

Bullock is legit. Don't sell him short based on numbers coming off knee surgery and being stuck behind Brand X. He brings it on both ends of the floor and will have an outstanding season. If Barnes is a 1st rounder then so is this kid.

UNC's season will be determined by how quickly they settle on a new PG and if all the parts can gel into a cohesive unit.

Next Year for Heels and Devils

While I have on occasion in the past been guilty of underestimating the Tar Heels, I'm not seeing them as a top team this coming season. Strickland's biggest strengths are his speed (without the ball) and his defense. His handle has always struck me as a little too erratic and out-of-control. He's a good wing in UNC's system but at PG he'll be adequate at best. Paige might be able to handle the point, but at his high school ranking he's a major question mark in that regard.

To say McDonald has "serious game" is somewhat of an overstatement. He was ranked #44 (RSCI) out of high school, barely played his freshman year, showed himself to be a pretty good outside shooter in limited minutes his sophomore year, and looked poised to increase his role when he was injured before his junior season. Obviously I haven't seen him in practice or anything, but to me he appears to be a role-player/outside threat. Bullock was highly regarded coming out of high school, has good size for a SG/WF swingman, and has shown he can hit an outside shot when left alone. While I expect improvement from him over his middling sophomore season performance, I'll be shocked if Wheat's suggestion that he may be a first round NBA pick after this season comes true.

I expect McAdoo to be a first team All-ACC performer. I need to see more before I believe he'll be the kind of player who can carry an otherwise mediocre team on his back. As far as UNC's other big player, the team should feel fortunate if they get consistent defense and rebounding from that spot.

As far as Final Eight being something UNC could shoot for, I could agree with that, but that doesn't mean it's particularly likely. Worse teams have ridden one star player that far or even further, but it's the exception rather than the rule. I agree with gumbo that UNC's pre-season spot should be 3rd or 4th in the ACC, 15th to 18th nationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    I'm glad to see the board is in typical preseason form. I love how all of our returning players will be the greatest things since sliced bread, yet players from other teams will be lucky if they make any improvement at all during the off season.

Strickland's game was all about speed and I question if his knee will be 100% healthy. I also love that they used him as a SG even though he couldn't shoot. This season I can see him used in his natural PG position and while I did read that his shot had improved prior to the start of last season, I'm still not sold on him.

Now McDonald is another story. He's had a lot more time to get healthy from his surgery and he was supposed to play a much larger role for the heels last year prior to his injury. I wouldn't sleep on this kid, he'll be a glue guy for that team and a very solid contributor

Bullock is legit. Don't sell him short based on numbers coming off knee surgery and being stuck behind Brand X. He brings it on both ends of the floor and will have an outstanding season. If Barnes is a 1st rounder then so is this kid.

UNC's season will be determined by how quickly they settle on a new PG and if all the parts can gel into a cohesive unit.
    No one knows how good UNC will be this year. Last year the Heels returned four All-ACC players; this year they return zero. In 2010 UNC returned zero All-ACCers and stunk up the conference. I expect that UNC will be far better than in 2010 but will not come together until the last one-third of the season. I think a true evaluation of the team would rank them only fourth or fifth in the ACC, based on the absence of returning players with significant game experience. But I expect them to be in the top three by the end of the season.

Duke returns two All-ACC slections (both Curry and Mason were third team). In 2012 Duke returned zero All-ACCers but still ended up second in the regular season. In 2011 we returned two (Nolan and Kyle), and in 2009 Duke returned only one (Singler), although by New Year's Jon was being touted as player of the year. I expect Duke to be better in 2013 than this year, but there are a lot of questions to be answered.

sagegrouse

The focus now shifts to 2012/2013

With the NBA draft now mainly past us, and with the players coming to Duke for the summer session shortly, I got around to reviewing the team for the coming season. We have Cook, Thornton, Curry, Sulaimon, Murphy, Kelly, Plumlee (M&M), Jefferson and Zafirowski. Thats 11 total players with Dawkins confirmed as a red shirt.

We are solid at PG with Cook and Thornton and also good at SG with Curry and Sulaimon.

At SF it looks like Murphy is the sole entry at that position, with possibly Jefferson or Hairston filling in. Can't see Suliamon there since we will need him at SG.

At PF and C we have Kelly, Plumlee (M&M), Hairston and Jefferson. Zafirowski looks like a fill in player here if needed.

Questions:

The roster looks a little short, especially if the injury bug strikes. Are there other possibilities, either transfers or walkons?

Our SF position will rely on an untested player where no real backup is obvious. I would mark this as a concern.

While we also have untested players at other positions, we also appear very solid at the PF and C positions.

Following the 2012/2013 season we will lose Curry, Kelly, Mason Plumlee and Zafirowski. That will leave the team with only 7 players coming back, although very good ones. To those we have Matt Jones and probably Andre Dawkins coming back for a total on 9.

Looking at the Scout.com list, it shows we have an interest in Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Anthony Barber, Semi Ojeleye, Ishmail Wainwright, Allerik Freeman, Austin Nichols and Robert Hubbs. Are All of these players still under consideration? Are there others being considered not on the Scout list?

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    With the NBA draft now mainly past us, and with the players coming to Duke for the summer session shortly, I got around to reviewing the team for the coming season. We have Cook, Thornton, Curry, Sulaimon, Murphy, Kelly, Plumlee (M&M), Jefferson and Zafirowski. Thats 11 total players with Dawkins confirmed as a red shirt.

We are solid at PG with Cook and Thornton and also good at SG with Curry and Sulaimon.

At SF it looks like Murphy is the sole entry at that position, with possibly Jefferson or Hairston filling in. Can't see Suliamon there since we will need him at SG.

At PF and C we have Kelly, Plumlee (M&M), Hairston and Jefferson. Zafirowski looks like a fill in player here if needed.

Questions:

The roster looks a little short, especially if the injury bug strikes. Are there other possibilities, either transfers or walkons?

Our SF position will rely on an untested player where no real backup is obvious. I would mark this as a concern.

While we also have untested players at other positions, we also appear very solid at the PF and C positions.

Following the 2012/2013 season we will lose Curry, Kelly, Mason Plumlee and Zafirowski. That will leave the team with only 7 players coming back, although very good ones. To those we have Matt Jones and probably Andre Dawkins coming back for a total on 9.

Looking at the Scout.com list, it shows we have an interest in Jabari Parker, Julius Randle, Anthony Barber, Semi Ojeleye, Ishmail Wainwright, Allerik Freeman, Austin Nichols and Robert Hubbs. Are All of these players still under consideration? Are there others being considered not on the Scout list?
    I'm gonna go a slightly different direction with my preview:

Positions:

We're potentially strong at PG with Cook, Thornton, and two capable ballhanlding SG in Curry and Sulaimon.

We're very strong at SG with Curry and Sulaimon.

We're completely unproven at SF with Murphy, Jefferson, and Sulaimon (in that order) likely to fill those minutes.

We're very set at PF with lots of versatility between Kelly, Jefferson, and Hairston.

We're very set at C with Mason, Marshall, and Kelly.

Questions:

Will either Cook or Thornton step up and be a productive PG for us, or will we have to play Curry or Sulaimon out of position a lot?

[Conversely] Will Sulaimon push Cook/Thornton to the bench to start at PG alongside Curry?

Will Murphy and Jefferson be ready to hold down the SF spot? If they are able, I think we look very very good. But that's a big if.

Basically, PG and SF are the only question marks for this coming year. We have potential answers at both spots. It's just a matter of those guys stepping up. But with All-ACC talent at SG, PF, and C, it could be a VERY good season even if PG and SF are just solid.

As for 2013-2014, there's a lot of uncertainty. That's understandable, as we still have quite a bit of recruiting going on. Hopefully we land another big guy to rotate with Marshall, Jefferson, and Hairston.