Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
So now that the season is over, I see both a lot of unbridled optimism and unreasonable pessimism on this thread for next year's team. Even if we don't get any of the 3-5 targets (if you include potential transfers that don't have to sit out a year) and Mason leaves, a weak ACC is going to allow us to go at least 10-6, and get into the tourney. That's not our standard, but if everything goes wrong, we may be looking at 2007. If everything goes right, we could be looking at likeable, one year away, team like 2000, 2003, or perhaps even better.

But back to the subject -- I am having a hard time getting excited about Murphy, Mar. Plumlee and Gbinije as difference makers next year. We really needed help in some areas this year, including depth on the front line. We are in an era where if freshmen can contribute, they play, and play significantly. Even at Duke. Ryan Kelly is the only guy I can recall who went from a non-factor his freshman year to a significant contributor (and arguably a top 3 player) in later years. Seriously, go back and look at our rosters. I am sure I am missing someone, but if freshman do not play, they tend to be bench players throughout their careers, or at the very best starters with limited minutes. Maybe I'll give Murphy a bit of a pass since he came in early, but I think we need to be careful projecting too much on these 3 guys. If they were difference makers, they probably would have played this year.
I don't think anyone has said that Marshall or Gbinijie would be difference makers next year. If Mason leaves then Marshall would have to take on a bigger role, but no one has said he would put up Mason's numbers or even close to it. The reason for optimism regarding Murphy is because of how Coach K has talked about him and how he seemed to have a starting spot last year before suffering a concussion. But this whole thread is speculation about what we think or want to happen next year. I think Murphy starts at the 3 next year but I certainly could be wrong.