Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Austin was thought of as a possible top 5 pick before the end of his senior year in HS...if the consensus is that he goes some where in the 20-25 range in the draft I just don't see how Austin or Doc or K would advise him that would be the best move. One more year would do a lot for his game and its not like the money is an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Austin played about 34 minutes per game this year, and was barely subbed out the last month of the season. If he moves to to point guard, what do you do with Quinn Cook's 12 minutes per game, Tyler Thornton's 21 minutes or Seth Curry's 30 minutes? Do they move over to split the 2-guard duties? Where does Rasheed Sulaimon fit into that new rotation? Do you see Austin's minutes going down?

I think Austin, should he stay, will continue to play off the ball and on the wing. I could see him initiating the offense a fair amount once we get into some of our half-court sets. Because we have three other guards smaller than Austin who can all play the point, I do not see Austin moving over to the 1.
    There's no reason he couldn't spend some time at the 1 and some at the 2, freeing up time for Cook and Thornton at the 1. I honestly would prefer to keep Seth as a shooting guard next year unless he really steps up his point guard game.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    For what it's worth (and maybe not much) local sports radio (Adam Gold and chronies) believe Austin is a lock to go this year with Mason 50:50. Of course they don't know anything specific, but it's interesting to get an opinion from a relatively neutral sports fan.
    I would say the opinions and "insights" of the local sports radio, except for Dave Glenn, are worth very little. They just follow the template set at the beginning of the season(i.e. Austin is 1 & done, Barnes is the next MJ, the Plumlees are overrated, etc.). The question is are the local talking heads just that ignorant or just that lazy to not report actual news and offer original insight.

Austin played about 34 minutes per game this year, and was barely subbed out the last month of the season. If he moves to to point guard, what do you do with Quinn Cook's 12 minutes per game, Tyler Thornton's 21 minutes or Seth Curry's 30 minutes? Do they move over to split the 2-guard duties? Where does Rasheed Sulaimon fit into that new rotation? Do you see Austin's minutes going down?

I think Austin, should he stay, will continue to play off the ball and on the wing. I could see him initiating the offense a fair amount once we get into some of our half-court sets. Because we have three other guards smaller than Austin who can all play the point, I do not see Austin moving over to the 1.
    I would not expect Austin's minutes to go down appreciably. In my mind, Quinn is the only potentially better option at the point. Seth has shown he is not a viable option there. He was given the keys in the summar and early in the year, and was not up to the task. Seth is still a very valuable player for us, but he is much better at catching and shooting from the wing, or driving once an opening has been created through ball movement and/or penetration by others, than he is at initiating and creating himself.

I love Tyler, but honestly don't see him as more than a 10-15 mpg role player on a high caliber Duke team. He has shown the ability to guard bigger players (and probably defends them better than he does quick PGs), and with his offensive limitations, is probably better suited to being a defensive sparkplug and energy guy off the bench, albeit one who can be relied upon to make the occasional 3, and stick his free throws in late game situations.

I expect Sulaimon to battle Andre and Silent G for remaining wing minutes (note that I expect Alex M to be more of a 4 in our system, and to be Kelly's backup next year). I have not seen Rasheed play, but have seen him described as long-armed and spidery, and capable of defending bigger players.

If I had to peg it today, I might break it down roughly as follows: Austin and Seth at ~30mpg apiece, Quinn (17-18) and Tyler (12-13) combining for ~30, and the balance (~30) going to Rasheed, Andre and Mike, with 2 garnering the majority and likely seeing their minutes shrink a fair bit in tight games. That suggests a couple of things, including Austin and Quinn playing together some, and a greater than usual amount of mixing and matching in terms of combinations.

Keep in mind this is just a scenario, and a clearly hypothetical one at that. But I do think it has some merit. To me, the main thing that could scuttle this scenario would be for Quinn to make a big jump and clearly claim the PG spot (as a 25-30mpg starter), so that there would be no need for any experimentation. Things that could make it more likely include Silent G making a big jump, Andre regaining the coaches' faith and/or Rasheed being ready to make significant contributions right off the bat. Lots of variables, very little clarity. But I've been a Duke fan long enough to know that end of year rotations and roles do not necessarily carry over to the following season.

Although I love Austin's moxie and talent, I can't help wonder if we might be better off without him next year and going forward. Before everyone goes nuts on me, let me explain my reasons.
    For one, I would love to see Quinn take over PG duties next year. I think his court vision and passing ability are ideal for the position. I think he could help create good looks and easy buckets for the rest of the team, both in the half-court and transition game. It seems like we really struggled getting easy looks for large stretches this year.
    I don't know how much Austin could improve his off-the-ball game, but it seems like he is most effective when he dominates the ball. This makes me wonder if having him and Quinn on the floor together is the best pairing. I'm pretty sure Quinn would be able to get everyone involved more easily than Austin, who is not a true PG.
    If Austin left, I see Rasheed being pushed into a bigger role next year, allowing him to develop faster. Rasheed might not be as good a penetrator as Austin, but he seems to be a better defender, a good shooter, and an excellent athlete, ideally suited to play a SG role. And I would bet he's just a better all-around athlete/basketball player than Seth or Dre or could quickly develop into that. Seth and Dre would be great sparkplugs coming off the bench but I'm not sure they're championship-level players as starters. Of coures, we might have to play a 3-guard lineup next year, anyways, but we'll see what happens with the development and recruitment of other guys.
    Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i'll prolly get slammed for saying this, but, i think that nolan was a better player when he left duke than AR is now...take the name "rivers" off, and there's a different perception of him. I think he WILL be the man next year if he stays....if he goes, he'll make $$$ and get lots of pine time...

imagine him guarding westbrook....
    I agree but the fact that we are even comparing AR's frosh yr to Nolan's POY candidate senior yr
    says a lot about his potential vs Nolan's.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    I agree but the fact that we are even comparing AR's frosh yr to Nolan's POY candidate senior yr
    says a lot about his potential vs Nolan's.
    I don't think you can use Nolan as a growth chart for anyone. He had a ridiculous work ethic. He was a kid with a heart that was insanely large and he made progress that most won't be able to accomplish. Not saying Austin doesn't have these things too, but I don't like just giving in to anybody being equal to Nolan until I see that type of growth.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieinSoCal View Post
    Although I love Austin's moxie and talent, I can't help wonder if we might be better off without him next year and going forward. Before everyone goes nuts on me, let me explain my reasons.
    For one, I would love to see Quinn take over PG duties next year. I think his court vision and passing ability are ideal for the position. I think he could help create good looks and easy buckets for the rest of the team, both in the half-court and transition game. It seems like we really struggled getting easy looks for large stretches this year.
    I don't know how much Austin could improve his off-the-ball game, but it seems like he is most effective when he dominates the ball. This makes me wonder if having him and Quinn on the floor together is the best pairing. I'm pretty sure Quinn would be able to get everyone involved more easily than Austin, who is not a true PG.
    If Austin left, I see Rasheed being pushed into a bigger role next year, allowing him to develop faster. Rasheed might not be as good a penetrator as Austin, but he seems to be a better defender, a good shooter, and an excellent athlete, ideally suited to play a SG role. And I would bet he's just a better all-around athlete/basketball player than Seth or Dre or could quickly develop into that. Seth and Dre would be great sparkplugs coming off the bench but I'm not sure they're championship-level players as starters. Of coures, we might have to play a 3-guard lineup next year, anyways, but we'll see what happens with the development and recruitment of other guys.
    Any thoughts?
    I'm not about to go nuts on you, but Austin was our only guard that was good at defending the guy with the ball. This years team was poor at creating turnovers and getting easy baskets. Team defense was not up to Duke standards even though we did improve by years end. Maybe Sheed will help in that regard. It starts with defense with Coach K. I was concerned with our ability defend last summer and it looks like I'll be concerned this off season as well. GoDuke!

To me, one of the things that is most remarkable about Austin is his incredibly strong will to improve his game. By far, he appears to be the most driven on this team.

He made great improvement this year. When he turns his focus to improving his passing, court vision and defense, I can see him getting 5 assists a game next year as well as developing into a lock-down defender. The guy is very talented and very driven. If you want titles, that is the type of guy you want.

I would be thrilled if he came back next year and if I were the coach I'd give him 40 minutes a game (except in overtime games, when I'd give him even more minutes).

I suspect people may be subconsciously comparing him to Kyrie and wondering why, if he was so highly regarded coming out of high school he didn't play like Kyrie from day one and didn't make everyone around him better. The reason is he plays a different position and has a different skill set. But once he turns his drive to improving himself in additional areas like passing, it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
    To me, one of the things that is most remarkable about Austin is his incredibly strong will to improve his game. By far, he appears to be the most driven on this team.

He made great improvement this year. When he turns his focus to improving his passing, court vision and defense, I can see him getting 5 assists a game next year as well as developing into a lock-down defender. The guy is very talented and very driven. If you want titles, that is the type of guy you want.

I would be thrilled if he came back next year and if I were the coach I'd give him 40 minutes a game (except in overtime games, when I'd give him even more minutes).

I suspect people may be subconsciously comparing him to Kyrie and wondering why, if he was so highly regarded coming out of high school he didn't play like Kyrie from day one and didn't make everyone around him better. The reason is he plays a different position and has a different skill set. But once he turns his drive to improving himself in additional areas like passing, it will happen.
    Couldn't agree more. He wasn't Kyrie, but there aren't many kids who are. He wanted to win and he was willing to work really really hard to get there. Combine that with a lot of natural talent... these are the types of kids we want and need at Duke. Does his decision-making need to improve? Sure. Are there parts of his game that weren't quite ready? Sure. But I'll take 5 Austin Rivers in my backcourt and take my chances. There's no addition by subtraction when you lose a kid like Austin. Just like there wasn't when we lost Gerald. There's no way we do better than win a National Championship w/ Gerald, but you won't convince me that we had a better shot to win one without than we did with him.

I wonder how much different Rivers would be if he had transferred to a more loaded high school team for his senior year. I think that the biggest adjustment for him this year was transitioning from being the only real offensive option to a more team oriented offense. I don't think selfishness was ever an issue he just had never really had teammates to pass to. So he didn't have a need to develop better court vision or proper spacing. You can bet that these are things that he will work on in the off season. The kids has serious drive to get better.

One thing to keep in mind is that Irving will most like on campus over the summer taking classes and working out. Smith may also be on campus to working. I'm betting that Rivers will latch on to those guys and soak in everything he can. I remember Irving coach Smith from the side lines during games last year. I'm betting he could impart quite a bit of wisdom. (This would also be very beneficial for Cook who could learn the game for Irving and get his body i top shape with Smith).

the point of my post re: nolan was to point out where the ability level lands you in the nba....if AR jumps, he's likely to see the same view as nolan....from what i've seen/heard/read of austin, that's not where he wants to be...

he WANTS to be the man....he won't be the man in the league next year....he WILL be the man at duke...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I personally think Austin will stay... Doc and Austin's midseason comments about being satisfied with the challenges he faced due to choosing Duke over other schools was encouraging. I think the fact that he KNOWS he will continue to improve at Duke, along with a sense of unfinished business and a latter first round draft projection will wind up making Cameron Austin's home next year.

For what its worth (probably about 2 cents) I think both Austin and Mason will stay. It is a loaded draft year, and both could improve their situation by staying. Of course. either or both could worsen therir positions or get hurt. It is a puzzlement!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    the point of my post re: nolan was to point out where the ability level lands you in the nba....if AR jumps, he's likely to see the same view as nolan....from what i've seen/heard/read of austin, that's not where he wants to be...

he WANTS to be the man....he won't be the man in the league next year....he WILL be the man at duke...
    I don't think Nolan and AR have the same ability level. AR has, IMO, a significantly higher ceiling. Nolan is obviously the more accomplished college player, but I don't think anyone seriously expects him to become a star in the NBA. AR has that kind of talent - his play isn't at that level yet, but the potential is there. I agree he wouldn't be "the man" on an NBA team next year, but I think he'd be likely to see a bit more of the court than Nolan has this year. (Nolan had the added disadvantage of being drafted by a team that already had two capable PGs as well.)

I'm not blown away by AR......sorry......

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    I'm not blown away by AR......sorry......

I'm guessing that, in your eyes, this is because he simply hasn't displayed the all-important will to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I'm guessing that, in your eyes, this is because he simply hasn't displayed the all-important will to win.
    There were whole games this year where I thought Austin was the only one with that fire!

There were whole games this year where I thought Austin was the only one with that fire!
    Losing does not agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
    This is an example of Duke goggles!
    Rivers was the best 2 guard in the country and I think his game is more ready for the NBA than college.

Austin - not a point guard; looks for iso too much; excellent pick-roll player; combo guard; adequate explosiveness; needs to become less selfish; no left hand; great floater; struggles off the ball.
    By reading this, my post on AR being more NBA ready than college couldnt be more correct. AND, if Brad Beal is all you got please tell me how this is an example of Duke goggles?