Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Agreed. Not sure why Mason's decision would affect Parker or Jefferson.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Maybe Parker wants to be one and done but it doesn't seem like he is that type player at this point. I would like to have a guy like Parker here next year getting accustomed to Duke's system and hopefully getting ready to contribute the following year when both Mason and Ryan are gone. He would probably be a good compliment to MP3 either as a 4 in a big lineup or splitting time at 5. The one criticism I've heard about him is that he isn't in great shape and doesn't always appear to play hard. There is no better place to lose that rep than at Duke. I hope he picks Duke and that he has realistic expectations when he arrives.

As for Amile I thought his decision likely rested on what CJ Leslie does not what Mason does.

Also if Muhammed comes to Duke I'm sure I'll be a big fan of him but I would really rather see Dre step up and be a leader and a big time player next year.
    I would be shocked if Parker is one and done. He's going to be an outstanding player on the college level and hope he comes to Duke. Frankly, a savy high school senior would see Duke as more appealing with Mason there to attract some attention. I remember how much easier it was for Christian Laettner to transition in as a Freshman with Danny Ferry drawing defensive attention.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by Sixthman View Post
    I would be shocked if Parker is one and done. He's going to be an outstanding player on the college level and hope he comes to Duke. Frankly, a savy high school senior would see Duke as more appealing with Mason there to attract some attention. I remember how much easier it was for Christian Laettner to transition in as a Freshman with Danny Ferry drawing defensive attention.
    Purely in terms of scholarship numbers, don't think we have room for all three of Parker, Shabazz, and Amile Jefferson.
    Not likely a problem.

I agree. But that was 1989. Kids tend to not be as willing to wait their turn these days. In the aggregate. Individual exceptions exist. Perhaps Parker is one.

But I'd be surprised.

Great news!

This really makes my day. With Ryan and Mason holding down the post we will be a force next year. Take some of the pressure off of our recruiting as well. If we miss on the big men we are trying to bring in it'll hurt less. If Jefferson or Parker still come they can get plenty of PT if they are up to the challenge. Now all we need is for Shabazz to fill out the rest of our roster!!!

Thanks Mason, I really needed to hear the good news!

9F

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Purely in terms of scholarship numbers, don't think we have room for all three of Parker, Shabazz, and Amile Jefferson.
    Not likely a problem.
    Duke has two scholarships available and three offers out. Plus, Duke is kicking the tires on Rodney Hood and who knows if Oriakhi is still an option.

I agree that all five aren't likely to pull the trigger for Duke. Perhaps none will.

that's apples and oranges...

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion View Post
    I don't think there is any chance that Plumlee makes the lottery after next year. My guess is he will probably remain in the 20's as a draft choice. Hopefully his stock won't go down. I don't think Singler's basketball stock was helped by staying.
    Singler's stock was at an all time high and an easy lottery selection after his junior year, IMO. He posted numbers worthy of his reputation each of his first three years. Yes, his stock dropped after a less than stellar senior year. Despite showing improvement statistically each year, Plumlee has yet to realize the same level of success in his college career as Singler did. It's that reason that I think he has a higher draft ceiling by returning for his senior season than Singler did. If he doesn't show that same progress, then you are probably right about him remaining in the 20s in next year's first round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    From the article:

"The potential is there for him to do that in 2012-13. He has improved his scoring (from 3.7 to 7.2 to 11.1) and rebounding (from 3.1 to 8.4 to 9.2) averages each season. Keeping on a similar trajectory could give Plumlee first-team All-ACC caliber numbers."

I would say that is pretty good "development".

You folks sound like mature adults, with all your talk of delayed gratification. This is America, we want it all...NOW! No work...we just want!

Ok. Ok. Mason has improved. His baby hook was a solid B+ this year compared to being well-below average his first two years. Now if he can add a 6-7 foot bank shot off the glass and some McHale-esque up and under moves (I've seen him do it once or twice) he'll be All-ACC. Based on the stats trajectory, I'd venture to say Mason averages 14-10 next season. That's pretty much what John Henson did this past season.

I do not know what Coach K has been discussing with Parker, but I assume he tells him he will have to earn his minutes and he'll have to work very hard (and smart) to be elite. In all honesty, 15 or so minutes for Parker next season at Duke would be ideal. He could come off the bench with less pressure and play against Mason in practice every day. Then his sophomore year he would have all the minutes he could handle and be an All-ACC caliber player. I think if he got plugged into a team with 30 guaranteed minutes next year, he'd probably be overwhelmed. His turnovers would be up and his FG% low, and the worst part is he'd be practicing bad habits every day. He's one guy where'd I'd argue that a supporting role for one year would be more beneficial to him in the long run. Shelden Williams followed that path and was 1st team All-American his senior year.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke has two scholarships available and three offers out. Plus, Duke is kicking the tires on Rodney Hood and who knows if Oriakhi is still an option.

I agree that all five aren't likely to pull the trigger for Duke. Perhaps none will.
    I'm sure it counts against the full count, but just double checking...if Hood is recruited and accepts, does he count against our scholarship total since he will be sitting on the bench for a year?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Singler's stock was at an all time high and an easy lottery selection after his junior year, IMO. He posted numbers worthy of his reputation each of his first three years. Yes, his stock dropped after a less than stellar senior year. Despite showing improvement statistically each year, Plumlee has yet to realize the same level of success in his college career as Singler did. It's that reason that I think he has a higher draft ceiling by returning for his senior season than Singler did. If he doesn't show that same progress, then you are probably right about him remaining in the 20s in next year's first round.
    Good analysis. To put things in perspective, Tyler Zeller's stellar senior campaign launched him from a late first/early second selection into a potential lottery pick. Mason may or may not take the same leap made by Zeller, but with a more consistent season all around he could easily make himself a solid first rounder. Also, recall that Nolan went from a second round pick to a first round pick by coming back for his senior year.

Also, this isn't only about one's NBA prospects. It's also about what Mason wants to do. If he had wanted to be an NBA player really badly, he could have left after his frosh season when he was a lottery pick based solely on potential. He clearly likes college and likes playing for Duke because the opportunity to become a lottery pick has been there already. Hopefully, he'll graduate after playing a spectacular senior season and get to become a lottery pick, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm sure it counts against the full count, but just double checking...if Hood is recruited and accepts, does he count against our scholarship total since he will be sitting on the bench for a year?
    Yes.

Pick and Roll?

Very glad Mason is coming back. It's a decision that will help his basketball future as well as his post-basketball future. A Duke degree certainly affords opportunities that other colleges simply catch match with.

Now as much potential as Mason has with another offseason of work, we must find a guard that can effectively pass out of the pick & roll. I don't think I can take another year of watching Mason roll wide open without any attempt of a post pass. Obviously Mason needs to improve his hands on catching the ball. But please, please, please, throw a lob, bounce pass, or something to Mason!

Awesome!!!

Couldn't blame him for going but soooooooo glad he is staying. He will really solidify the interior rotation next year (even if we don't add another big body). As previously stated he's made some big strides each year and hopefully he can make another one next year. Heck, he made some big strides at the free throw line in the middle of last year. Glad he will be back and looking forward to a great senior season out of him!

Go. Duke. Awesome.

I understand that Mason made his decision based on his own needs and desires, but as a fan I still want to say thank you.

May your senior year bring you everything that you could possibly hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by duke blue brewcrew View Post
    Singler was not a lottery pick after his junior season. He was probably a borderline 1st rounder, much like Mason this year.

Unless Mason averages 19-20 a game, he will not improve drastically. But he can solidify his status in the 1st round by maintaining his scoring improvement trajectory. Also, there's likely to be more shots to go around with Austin gone, and more scoring opportunities for bigs with a better, healthier Quinn at the point.

This is huge for Duke that Mason is coming back. We need him inside, and with continued development from the whole team we could be a real force by the end of the season. Looking forward to more good news tomorrow night!

I'm not too worried about him developing a jump shot, would prefer he add some post moves to his arsenal. Is there any way we could take this video and inject it into Mason's dna, matrix-style?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Good analysis. To put things in perspective, Tyler Zeller's stellar senior campaign launched him from a late first/early second selection into a potential lottery pick. Mason may or may not take the same leap made by Zeller, but with a more consistent season all around he could easily make himself a solid first rounder. Also, recall that Nolan went from a second round pick to a first round pick by coming back for his senior year.

Also, this isn't only about one's NBA prospects. It's also about what Mason wants to do. If he had wanted to be an NBA player really badly, he could have left after his frosh season when he was a lottery pick based solely on potential. He clearly likes college and likes playing for Duke because the opportunity to become a lottery pick has been there already. Hopefully, he'll graduate after playing a spectacular senior season and get to become a lottery pick, as well.
    Zeller barely improved from his junior to senior years. His points went up only 0.6, but his rebounds went up 2.4. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...5/tyler-zeller

He did prove he could stay healthy though, which probably helped a bit. I dont think his late lottery status really changed over the past year though.

Woohoo!

"Duke lands 6'10, 240 pound, athletic, one-and-done big man recruit who is expected to average ~15 and 10 with All-ACC honors"

Nerlens who?

For the 2012-13 season, this is the best "get" Duke has gotten this recruiting season. Mason will improve this off season and I expect by next season he will be a force. And we still get to hear about the "Plumlee Brothers." And not just one lone Plumlee. Happy for Duke, happy for Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Randolph View Post
    For the 2012-13 season, this is the best "get" Duke has gotten this recruiting season. Mason will improve this off season and I expect by next season he will be a force. And we still get to hear about the "Plumlee Brothers." And not just one lone Plumlee. Happy for Duke, happy for Mason
    Or the Plumlee Twins or the Plumlee Triplets.......